Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM
ryanwilson277

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread

hey i want to see what happens when u take the steering nossel and aim it all the way up
Old 05-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

how hard is it to convert a boat to jet drive on a scale of 1 to 10 1 being easy 10 being blah blah blah...
say i used a mini rio or a proboat mini?
Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM
sundogz

For a deep v hull design, I would say it's about a 6 or 7 in difficulty because you have to cut out a portion of the hull - unlike other conversions where you might just drill another hole or two. But you are in the right forum, there are good folks here that will be happy to offer advise/help. [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Ryanwilson, the steering nozzle trim mod is one I'm interested in too - I hope you do it! It's a worthy project, that's for sure. And an interesting one as well. Good luck! [8D]
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Traxxas4fun

oh i thought the deep v would be easiest, what hull would b easiest.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:30 PM
headhunter23

hey ryanwilson before u buy talk to dragon he bought that boat and has video of it with replaced parts. The boat requires a trim tab out back to work.

Ivan.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Quicksilver

I've got to make an adjustable nozzle. For the longest time I just wanted a variable size nozzle. Throwing that out and concentrating on a vertically adjustable nozzle is the route I need to go. Perhaps I'll work on some drawings that may spur some ideas amongst you all.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 AM
grael

Quicksilver,
scott jet and swashdrive do it,
Both of them adapt gimbal mechanics to the task:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal
Old 05-12-2009, 04:38 AM
TwinJetMax

Righto Graham

here is my first mock up of the inlet you gave me. Obviously the white is the original and the black is the mock up. I just used electricians tape. And lots of it.
Obviously it is not perfect yet. I will make a final coat of something to get rid of imperfections. Suggestions?

The suction tube has been widened overall, the impeller section has been widen significantly to fit the stator, and the inlet itself has been widened, lengthened and squared off at the front.

I think the overall length needs to be shortened. Back to an inch after the end of the bend. The picture is deceivingly long because of the extra tape that I have not dealt to yet.

Oh, and I am sorry to say I will probably need another steering nozzle. The defect in the casting was actually quite deep one I got down to it. I know I am running through your materials, but I will buy you a new box of ?pro-cast? for all of your help. [8D]

What does anyone else think of the shape so far. Keeping in mind that it is still in the development.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93053.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1196741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71027.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1196742  
Old 05-12-2009, 05:50 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

ORIGINAL: headhunter23

hey ryanwilson before u buy talk to dragon he bought that boat and has video of it with replaced parts. The boat requires a trim tab out back to work.

Ivan.
here is the video on that boat

this is the boat stock out of the box . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S16V0...e=channel_page

this is stock but with a 3s lipo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mioo...e=channel_page

this is with an ammo 28-35-2700 motor 25amp esc on 3s lipo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Mmp...e=channel_page
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

oh i thought the deep v would be easiest, what hull would b easiest.
Trax, the easiest hull types to modify will have a shallow v fore and a flat aft with a verticle (90 degrees) transom. These would require the least effort to install a jet. But you can install one in most hull designs with a little (or more) effort. It should also be straight (no rise or 'rocker').
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Quicksilver

ORIGINAL: grael

Quicksilver,
scott jet and swashdrive do it,
Both of them adapt gimbal mechanics to the task:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimbal
I know about both of those and the little fight between swash and mhz. I mean for graupner jet, basically for small plastic jets. I started drawing last night and passed out on the couch with the keyboard in my lap. [sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
ryanwilson277

thank you dragonfire
Old 05-12-2009, 02:52 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

your welcom .

i have been wonting to get inb on the varable trim my self and been thanking on the bases of a seadoo set up . useing a gero ring . but i came up with a nother idea useing loc line . here is the web site once you see the product youll see what i was thanking about . http://www.loc-line.com/products/thi...ter_index.html
Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Traxxas4fun

whats the easiest boat to convert to get drive? mini wise..
Old 05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
sundogz

Here’s what I’ve got done on the Bat Boat project so far. Got the hull mod covered in carbon fibre. Made a new steering nozzle out of 1-1/2†mobile home (black) PVC plumbing, chamfered the inside and epoxied it. Was going to make it removeable, but looked too 'big', so epoxied it in place instead. Decided to go ahead and use the reverse bucket and made a removeable mount for it. Am waiting on a high torque servo to operate it. Will control it with a thin flex cable in Teflon tubing so I can relocate the servo farter away. Waiting also on motor mount for the KB45. Installed water coil(s) on motor and modded the esc for water cooling. Removed the vertical fin to get more room inside for the reverse servo, and now like it that way so may leave it off. Made a coupling (not shown) from 2 collets and some 3/16†flex cable (like an Octura, but stronger). Slow but steady progress.

Name:	Db86334.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	1196990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73183.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	1196991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99206.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	1196992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl25313.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	1196993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14544.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	1196994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qg63544.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	1196995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi85186.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	1196996  
Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM
james94

looks good sundogz,
are you gunna put any sort of grate on it to stop rocks? its a pretty big intake, so rocks would probably have no problemo gettin in there!

Cant wait to see her runnin!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
headhunter23

sundogz, looking damn fine, can't wait to see her in water.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM
damfurst

Traxxas4fun, I don't know that any mini boat is easier than another other than the mini rio isn't very tall height wise to put componets in. I have done a mini-v myself as has dragonfire also. I believe a micro patriot has also been done & these builds can be seen if you search for them on this thread. Which one was easier? I don't know if any was easier than another as they all have their individual issues to deal with. We'll try to help if we can though.

Sundogz, that boat looks cool with a smokestack coming out the back like that. It reminds me of my mini jet xl. I've got to get some video of it here soon. I've actually had it running half way decent and it will get up on plane with a 6.6v life battery!! It doesn't hop but man does it turn on dime. Anyway good work man!!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:13 AM
TwinJetMax

Dragonfire: The issue I think you will have with a system like that is that you have all movement from one point. That doesn't make sense but what it means is that if a servo is attached it will have very little preference on which way the nozzle moves. And it will be hard to keep the trim still while you steer. That is why a gimble is so effective. It has the same range of movement but you can keep the trim still and then move the steering around it, because it has a 'preferential' range of motion rotating on two axis. Just some food for thought. I am no expert but I have been running this through my mind. I hope you see where I am coming from.

Another issue: On my jet intake set up there will certainly be some strength issues. So I thought that this would be a nice wee prop shaft (or ?imp-shaft? what is the name for it????) set up.
I figure that the space between the bearings can be packed with grease and the narrow end will not restrict flow through the jet and also waterproof the bearings and stop suction issues.
The Prop shaft will run right through the jet stator so that not to much strengthening is required. around the stuffing tube.
The jet is being run from a homelite and through a friction belt.
There will be one more bearing anchored to the hull.

What is the general verdict on the shape of the intake. Are there any major flaws?

Cheers
Max

Name:	Jh14822.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1197143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32643.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1197144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68683.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1197145  
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
sundogz

Thanks guys, glad to keep you posted. The weather has been either rainy or bad windy for what seems like two months - global cooling? Maybe Mother Natture is healing herself. Anyways, I haven't had an opportunity to try out the BBY OM21 since installing the ride plate but am real antsy. Maybe as soon as tomorrow - we'll see. This Batboat looked like a simple swap but is turning into a project. The transom was verticle, but had a 'bow' in it. So I heated it with a halogen lamp until plyable and clamped the nozzle to the jet body before it set up again. I was going to use the two holes in the transom (where the shafts came through) for auto bailers, but turned out the silicone water cooling (fuel line) lines fit perfectly. And while gas rigs need to be open somewhere (hense a possible leak) there really is no need for leakage in an EV. Fix the leaks. The little scoops behind the side windows were open (looked cool) on this model (but are closed on all the white hulls), so I had to close those possiible water entry points. And the canopy is needing a little consideration as well.

James, yes - the PowerJet drive has a large enough intake opening to veg-o-matic small animals [X(] and Danfurst has generously given me a sample of his 'fire-pit' brand intake screen [sm=rolleyes.gif] that I will be installing soon.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Midget

Excuse me Sundogz, may i ask where you buy these Jet Drives?
Are they off another RTR boat, or do you make them?
I have the exact same boat, but dont use, as it's to slow...
Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
sundogz

Midget, the Power-Jet drives are sold by KMB of Berlin [link]http://www.jet-drive.de/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=11&Itemid=17[/link] I'm not a fan of the turning 'fin' design so I removed it and made my own. If you do get one, I'll be glad to send you the back half of mine for spare parts (or experimentation!) , just holler. Sdg
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Traxxas4fun

oh, one person said that for a deep v i would have to cut into the hull to get the jet in. which i understand that, but he said some halls you just have to drill som eholes and it would work
Old 05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

it doesnt mater what hull it is there is going to be some cutting involved . i thank what he was trying to say was on some you'll have to either build up or remove some of the hull to get it to line up. this being said for the mini-jet drive b/c the nozzle sandwiches between the transom . and you would need a 90 deg trans to mount to . where like the 29mm drive you just cut the slot for the intake and a hole in the right slop for the outlet and the transom can be at any angle.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 PM
sundogz

Yes Traxxas, when installing a prop drive, you just drill a hole or two. When installing a jet drive you have some cutting to do. And depending on the way the jet drive mounts (thru-hull or transom sandwich), you might have an easy or not-so-easy job depending on the hull/transom design. Doing a little research can save you time, money and frustration. Sdg.

Btw,Thx Dragon![8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.