Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Yet another Predator Outrigger, inspired by Fiend and mrfixitwhite

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Yet another Predator Outrigger, inspired by Fiend and mrfixitwhite

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:04 AM
mrfixitwhite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Predator Outrigger, inspired by Fiend and mrfixitwhite

hi taylor
looks nice - very similar to the predator but having tried running 2 types of rigger now i know it doesnt take much to make them run vastly different!!
can i ask what sort of motor this rigger will run? do you have a higher Kv to make up for only 2S?
when you say the can will be 3 times longer im guessing it would be an 'L' can but then i have still no idea on motors![&:]
will you run any sort of water cooling for esc or if you run a big enough esc do they not heat up as much to need it
im getting close to buying an esc for mine and want to go with the biggest i can afford (120amp) but will stick with a 380BL motor

Graham
Old 11-26-2007, 08:29 AM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: mrfixitwhite

hi taylor
looks nice - very similar to the predator but having tried running 2 types of rigger now i know it doesnt take much to make them run vastly different!!
can i ask what sort of motor this rigger will run? do you have a higher Kv to make up for only 2S?
when you say the can will be 3 times longer im guessing it would be an 'L' can but then i have still no idea on motors![&:]
will you run any sort of water cooling for esc or if you run a big enough esc do they not heat up as much to need it
im getting close to buying an esc for mine and want to go with the biggest i can afford (120amp) but will stick with a 380BL motor

Graham

Well Graham.
The boat is not even close to the predator. the only thing i think it has in commin with it, is two sponsons, a tub, hardware and a electronics. But even the electrics will be very different.
The boat is made to have almost 0 lift and 0 down force. which makes it a "flying wind" or a airfoil. the sponsons are adjustable 5 deg up and down either way to give you down force this way you can tune you boat for what ever kind of weight or water conditions you have.
Well i plan on running a Neu 1515 .5Y which is about the length of a hacker XL can but its 4400-4500KV. I was thinking of a 1512 .5Y to get a bit faster. But then this boat being big, i will want to run a nice size wheel so the 1515 .5D is for me.
Water cooling? Well the only water cooling i will run on the boat will be for the speed controller. The motors are so well at dissipating heat there is frankly no need for it any more.

Your Rigger on the other hand may have trouble holding a 120 amp speedo being so small.
What speedo are you looking into? they hydra or the CB125?, Hacker also puts out a good one which is a 77. they are quite small and would work very well for you i think.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM
MORE SPEED

I've now epoxied the inside. I guess that I need to do it twice. If I want to use a pistol tx, would I need a pistix?

MORE SPEED
Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
mrfixitwhite

@ taylor
neither of those esc's im afraid! i dont have the money for them! it will be the hxt120 @about $50 so £25 for me from united hobbies- i know it has a glitch with 2 pole motors at low speed but everyone says that once it gets going it not a problem at all and runs really well
i only do this for a weekend hobby and dont have anyone to run against really so i would only be impressing myself! and my luck so far with esc's im likely to give it a dunking! lol
i'll try not to with the 120 one!!

@morespeed
one coat of epoxy should be ok- depends if you thinned it on the first coat?
i think with a pistol i was reading a post on RCU that if your TX allows you to you can set the endpoints to 125% and set the throttle to + or - 60% and that will make the ESC think that its a plane setup
worth a search b4 you buy one!
Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
CadillacDTS2001

@ taylor
neither of those esc's im afraid! i dont have the money for them! it will be the hxt120 @about $50 so £25 for me from united hobbies- i know it has a glitch with 2 pole motors at low speed but everyone says that once it gets going it not a problem at all and runs really well
i only do this for a weekend hobby and dont have anyone to run against really so i would only be impressing myself! and my luck so far with esc's im likely to give it a dunking! lol
i'll try not to with the 120 one!!

alright that sounds good. the esc is kinda on the bulky side. I hope it will fit.
i have seen the Cogging first hand and if you just floor it from start it inst so bad.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Avanti27offshore

more build pics

Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 AM
mrfixitwhite

@taylor
sounds like you've seen the HXT 120 esc? dont spose you got any sizes for it so i can check t will fit lol!

@avanti
coming along nicely!
do you have your motor, esc and batt choice picked out yet?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 AM
CadillacDTS2001

Yes i have seen the Hex. I can give you and exact sizes But i will tell what roughly what I think it would be .
I think its about 1.7 inches wide and at least 1-1.2 inches tall
But maybe i am totally off
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Avanti27offshore

I'm going to start out with a Trinity P2K and a Novak M-5 on 6 cells (just something I had laying around from back in the day) after I get done test that set-up, I will test the stock SV27 motor and esc. I still have not pick out running gear, most likely I will get a kit off OSE.
Thanks, JL

@avanti
coming along nicely!
do you have your motor, esc and batt choice picked out yet?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM
MORE SPEED

I was looking at different motors around and the Lehner Basic XL motor caught my eye. By the price! $129 or there abouts. I was thinking of a Feigao 540L 8T motor at $40. Is the Lehner worth the extra money? I mean, would there be that much difference? Is it roughly the same size? Also, would a pulso 100amp esc be good or should I save up for a Hydra 120?

MORE SPEED
Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 AM
MORE SPEED

ORIGINAL: gooycheese

What you have done will work, it probably will add a little weight ( but with more builds you will improve on this). One thing I have noticed and I am not sure how EP riggers are constructed regarding turnfins but it looks like you have no turnfin spar, if that is the case are you backing the ply where the turnfin will mount to the sponson? I read the rules I believe if your race is going to be a 40mx40mx40m triangle you will for sure want a turn fin, and I also saw nothing about cell sizes? I didn't see any reference to cooling of the motor or speed control? I have never worked on an EP rigger but I assume that the CG is the same as a nitro rigger, on my .12 which is pictured the CG is about centered with the turn fin or the TE of turnfin.

Paul

Your Boat Looks Great
Having a look at your boat, and the plans I have, the rear sponsons are on the sides on yours and the bottom on mine. I guess that on the side, they lower the CofG a fraction. Where should I glue mine?

MORE SPEED
Old 11-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Avanti27offshore

MoreSpeed, I'm putting mine on the sides and back a bit like most of the rigger I've seen. I don't know why the predator plans say to put them on the bottom.

I got a lot more of the boat done last night and today. nothing worth posting pics of but as soon as I get something worth showing I will post the pics.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Being twenty inches I don't think a SV setup will fit.
That boat is more suited for 4-6 cells.
a P2K would be N1 hydro and that is a perfect class for that boat
Old 11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: MORE SPEED

I was looking at different motors around and the Lehner Basic XL motor caught my eye. By the price! $129 or there abouts. I was thinking of a Feigao 540L 8T motor at $40. Is the Lehner worth the extra money? I mean, would there be that much difference? Is it roughly the same size? Also, would a pulso 100amp esc be good or should I save up for a Hydra 120?

MORE SPEED
The lehner is worth the money if you race.
I own 3 of that XL series the 3600 the 4200 and 5000.
I have had all of them for about 2-4 years and i can tell you they are very very good motors. Just normal maintenance and they will last for a while.
IF you don't race however going a feiago route would be the best option.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Avanti27offshore

rear sponsons are mounted and front ones are ready.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM
CadillacDTS2001

I hope you didn't glue the rear shoes on to much.
Because right now they will do nothing but add dead weight.
The idea for rear shoes on a rigger is to eliminate the need for a lifting prop( more selection) and it stableize the boat in the turns. You set the rear shoes just above the prop depth so that once the boat takes a turn and slides the shoes will touch the water and keep the back end from dropping down into the water. It also helps with rougher water.
Taylor-
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
Avanti27offshore

yeah I glued them. you have given good info here, thanks. I will definitely make a change on the next boat. How would you set one up for SAW?
ORIGINAL: Taylor Shaw

I hope you didn't glue the rear shoes on to much.
Because right now they will do nothing but add dead weight.
The idea for rear shoes on a rigger is to eliminate the need for a lifting prop( more selection) and it stableize the boat in the turns. You set the rear shoes just above the prop depth so that once the boat takes a turn and slides the shoes will touch the water and keep the back end from dropping down into the water. It also helps with rougher water.
Taylor-
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
CadillacDTS2001

for a saw setup it will work just great for you!.
all that it is now is just weight. and light weight so you wont see any negative effect.
Keep going it looks good.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Avanti27offshore

thanks Taylor what are your thoughts on foam in the front sponsons?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Avanti27offshore

thanks Taylor what are your thoughts on foam in the front sponsons?
Do it. it add a full structural support.
On larger rigger believe it or not but people will car if out of solid wood. one big rigger weight is not much a issue so the wood adds alot of strength and if you hit something the sponson says intact,
If you can add a foam core to that for sure.
you want to to try some expanding foam right now that you have it together and then chop off the top to form it to the profile of the deck of the sponson.
But remember that some types of expanding foam will expand and contract with heat so be carefull on what you pick.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM
gooycheese

The rear sponsons on my .12 rigger are double sided servo taped on, so they can be adjusted. When my boat is on plane the rear sponson don't even touch the water, only in corners do they touch. The riding surface of the rear sponsons should be about 1/16-1/8" above the prop shaft. The AOA on my rears is about .5° , and my strut is set flat.

Paul
Old 11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
NitroNuisance

I just got one of those pulso esc's from offshore and just tp let you know if you whant to change the lipo cut-off to anything other than 2s you will need the $20. prog box they sell. I didn't realize this until after I allready got it.There is a couple less usefull features you can't take advantage of unless you have the prog box. So now I have to order that to run 3 or 4s. Also it doesn't have a bec if that matters to you. But if you use a ubec and get the prog box if you run anything other than 2s or ni/mh it seems to work pretty good. And I just got my first feigao motor, the quality is good and it runs pretty quick, smooth, and cool so far. I have friends that use the XL's in monster trucks and for the price you can't go wrong.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM
mrfixitwhite

while im waiting on funding for my lipo powered rigger im going NITRO powered just because i have all i need already...a .40 powered engine and bits to match- robbed from my wild thing style vee!!
but thatsanother thread
i seem to be on a rigger course coz i havnt got 1 to run yet but that is not gonna stop me!!
picks of the new one to follow in the nitro threads!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
CadillacDTS2001

Hey guys,
Its official Rigged insanity 2.0 is here!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
headhunter23

That is one nice rigger! Hey just to ask since this thread seems to be a huge rigger thread, how do you print the plans to the size you desire? I would like to use the pred plan on this and shrink it down but I don't want to keep reprinting them till I get the size I want.

Ivan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.