Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Some experienced advice would be appreciated

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Some experienced advice would be appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
NitroNuisance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some experienced advice would be appreciated

I need some suggestions. Firs of all I was going to order a fiegao 380 8xl for my proboat mini-v but after some people on here said that the KV rating for that motor was to high for this boat. So I ended up ordering this motor https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=5254 (it hasn't came yet). Is this motor a descent motor for this boat? This is the esc I just ordered http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=puls-blb40a (came yesteray). I just got this battery after the guy from my hobby shop said it would work fine http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...products_id=38 . Will I have problems with this batery heating up with the 10c rating? Will it work? I also have one of these http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/S...ck__12671.aspx whish is a great pack and I know will bw fine, they're rated for 20 amps but can deliver up to 25c with no problems. The motor and esc are going ot be water cooled and I converted the boat to Octura .098 flex drive and am running a detounged Octura x432 prop. Will this set-up work, and will it go like hell for a 14" lexon boat" If not what do I need to do? I'm most worried about the motor not being fast enough. Some people on here said that a lower KV motor would be better and create less heat but I noticed after I ordered it that it is only rated for like half the amps than the one I was planning on ordering. If I need to switch the motor I would have to return it right away and ship it back. If it will be a lot faster than stock I will just keep it and I could allways order a different one later. If the lipo is going to explode what do I need, 15, 20, 25c? I'm not looking for advice from a noobie, I don't whant to burn anything else up. I allready fried 2 esc's, so I need to know for sure. I don't whant to waste any more money on this boat. I am planning on getting a mini or micro mogli in the near future and maybe putting these electronics in that.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
alloutcustom

Default RE: Some experienced advice would be appreciated

the motor you got should be fine. the kv wouldnt have mattered tho. the 8xl was just too big. the battery might be ok, idk for sure. that motor will be close to pulling 40A so make sure you are carefull with prop choice
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: NitroNuisance

I need some suggestions.
Motor - Try not to pull more than 25-30A, even with water cooling.

ESC - A 40A ESC is well suited for a motor that draws less than 30A

LiPo Battery - Capable of 16A of continuous discharge. At 80%, this is roughly 13A. Motor is capable of 25+ continuous current. Battery is not well matched and should not be used with this setup.

NiMh Battery - It will be a little bit more tame due to the lower amount of total voltage. If this battery is used you may increase the diameter of prop used to 35mm or so.

A better LiPo battery will provide enough power to run a 30mm or your detongued 32mm prop. Like always watch for heat. If anything is hot, reduce load.(prop) I would predict about or around 25mph for your combination provided you get a better 3s LiPo battery. 25mph is FAST for such a small hull and nothing to be shy of.

How to select an appropriate Brushless Power System for your boat in 3 easy steps

1) In general, you first select the motor you are willing to use depending on what is needed. I would recommend asking for advice if one is unsure. Experience is more commonly used for motor selection. Look for the voltage and current limits.

2) Select an ESC that can roughly provide 120% more current than the rated max continuous current draw of the motor. Be sure it can handle the amount of voltage you plan to use with the motor.

3) Select a battery that can roughly provide 125% more continuous current than the maximum continuous current draw of the motor.

NEVER use a motor that can draw more continuous current than what the ESC or battery can provide. The weakest link will over heat and any electronic device that overheats will fail.

Motor is most commonly burned up due to too much voltage, too much prop ( current ) or a combination of both.
An ESC / battery most commonly fails due to too much motor or too much prop.

Ryan

Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 PM
NitroNuisance

Thanks for all the help,
How do I know if I'm pulling 25-30 amps, heat? And the motor says 26 amps max, but will it draw more than that if the prop is to big? Oh and when you said the 8xl was to big did you mean the can is to long (heavy) or did you mean to much power for this boat? And as far as the battery goes if I stay around 1500mah because that is all that fits what c rating would I need to supply ample power? 20? I know in my truck I run a 5700 mamba max and I had to get a 20c 5000mah. Now after $270 worth of batteries (2 packs)the thing is ballistic and the batteries don't even get warm but the motor reaches 160 degrees in like 8 minuites well 10 after installing a heatsink on a warm day. It'll go longer if it's cool out. Do you think this battery will go up in flames or just ruin the battery? Because I really don't have any other use for it, I guess I could try and sell it in the market place. I asket the guy at the hobby shop because he had 15c at least and he said for that application It'd be plenty of power
Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
ryan_t888

Yes heat is always an indication.

26A max, it will draw more if propped a little more aggressive. Water Cooling may allow you to push the motor harder, or beyond this max. This motor is mainly used for 400 size replacements in airplanes.

If I were to get a LiPo for that hull around 1500mAh, I'd want to go with one that could supply about 40A. This would be a 25C LiPo. Battery capacity in Ah multiplied by the C rating gives continuous current draw.

Ryan
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
NitroNuisance

It sounds like I got the wrong motor. 25mph is not what I had in mind when I dropped another $185 with motor, esc, flex drive conversion, prop, water cooling, and lipo that doesn't work into this $100. I think they say just adding a 3s lipo to the stock boat they do over around 20mph. That really p@#$%& me off. What a waste of money. Is there a fiegao motor I could have got that would propel this piece of crap around 30mph? Would I need a higher kv motor and smaller prop in order to get this thing going without rolling it?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
ryan_t888

A prediction is just that. Run the boat first. If you don't have a GPS, you won't really notice the difference. It will seem so fast since it's small.

Ryan
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM
NitroNuisance

This is what I was hoping for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TZU_NMqAM0
Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM
ryan_t888

If you want quicker speeds run 4s LiPo with a 27mm prop to start. As always check for heat.

If you can't run 4s, you may want a motor with a kv in the low to mid 3000's on a smaller prop.

Ryan
Old 11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
NitroNuisance

I wonder if I could get a 4s that small? That guy said he's running a 6800 Tekin mini rage system. I believe those are 280's.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
ryan_t888

He was also running a 7.2v LST stock battery

Ryan