Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Super hawaii help please

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Super hawaii help please

Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 PM
bigsliks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super hawaii help please

Did I mount the turning fins wrong on the first pic?

I thought the turning fins had to be 90Degs to the bottom of the boat!, but after looking at the trim fins they don't look right.
Are they better on the painted transom?

I can always bend the turning fins to be 90 in the updated pic.

OK as you see in the pics, the flex shaft runs up to the motor, you can see the copper tube doesn't run up to the motor
this is now changed, and the copper tube runs up to the motor.

Now when the boat sits in the water, the water level is higher then the copper tube and water slowly drips out the end closest to the motor,
is there a way to fix this?

I think when the boat is moving the water level will be lower then the top of the copper tube and hense not leak!

Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
bigsliks

Here are the pics of the brass tube, the water drips slowly out the end nearest the motor from the water level being higher then the brass tube when the boat is not moving?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59906.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	861112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26202.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	861113  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
retaobcr
Banned

What size cable are you using and what size brass stuffing tube and what size is the teflon liner? The brass is too close to coupler. Make brass tubing 1/2" from coupler. Ok, from 1/2" brass , the teflon will extend up to half the distance from stuffing tube.. I don't know what to say cause one picture shows brass tubing and then another picture shows teflon from coupler down. Your turn fins must be 90 degrees to the bottom of transom. The strut must be even straight back so you have 0 degrees. I'm going to be totally honest here on the motor placement. Like my neighbor says, if it were me, i would place motor back toward the bow 2" so you have a better cable line or a smoother curve. One more and i'll shut up, the cooling cool should be a close knit or have coils next to each other. Now as they are won't cool anything. Go take a look at sites and see what i mean. The angle you have the motor and cable will lose power and rpm and with just the teflon holding the cable firm is going give you problems. Go take a look at Quicksilvers Villian EX on how he did his 700 motor placement and angle. I'm not trying to be rude, but trying to make life easier. I'll shut up!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
VDub99AML
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One possible problem I see is your rudder placement. I have the exact hardware set up you do, and I put the rudder in the same place thinking I could get better turning left and right with the rudder closer to the center of the transom. However, while turning left, the rudder would basically kill incoming water to the prop and immediately reduce the speed of the boat to nothing. I have since added a 3" piece of aluminum the exact size of the rudder mount, and moved the rudder behind the prop which gave far better performance. I know mine SH is kind of beat up, but when I started upgrading it, I didn't know anything about boats. EDIT: Oh, BTW, don't leave your motor compartment cover on for weeks, otherwise your motor case will corrod and look horrible like mine. I had an unknown water leak.

Name:	Pn37676.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	861194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76585.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	861195  
Old 01-25-2008, 11:52 PM
bigsliks

VDub99 did you have any proplem with the water coming up the brass tube and dripping out the end?

Also do you just think I should try moving the rudder over more so as not to be so close to the strut?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:06 AM
bigsliks

I'm using the 150 flexshaft, the drive hardware is from offshoreelectrics as a package.

I'm not to worried about the leak and the curve in the brass tube causing binding, because I've run it and it isn't binding

but now I'm intrested in knowing if my rudder is to close to the strut?
and is the rudder going to be deap enough in the water?

thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 12:16 AM
VDub99AML

No I didn't have any problem with water coming in the brass tube. I have a teflon liner inside the brass tube and the flex shaft heavily greased with automotive wheel bearing grease.
If you move the rudder over more, it will affect your left turns. I don't know what kind of runs you like to do with your boat, but I like to have equal performance left and right. My SH still turns to the right better, but left isn't too bad. In the pic, you can kind of see how I moved the rudder back farther. I was going to take a better pic for you, but all my AA batteries are dead and so is my charger-- guess what I get to buy before the next rc season

Name:	Jh14592.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	861217  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 AM
bigsliks

Thats pretty cool. its hard to tell how the rudder is but I get what your saying.

I haven't even driven the boat yet so I don't know hows it turns yet.

I put wheel bearing grease on mine too and it does have a stuffing tube that the flexshaft runs in, but still leaks? I'll play around with it somemore.

thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 AM
VDub99AML

How big is your flexshaft? The brass tube and teflon liner should fit in real close to each other, and the teflon liner should be a close fit to the flex shaft.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:18 AM
NitroNuisance

Thats another advantage of having your motor further forward because there is more stuff tube and it's higher in the bow so the water usually doesn't get through the tube. Also odviously you can make the angle less steep with it forward. Also Where is your cog at? With the motor near the transom you might need to move your batterys forward to get the boat balanced out right. Vdub where did you get the trailer? I whant one for my SV to pull behind my T-Maxx. While were at it I'll take one for my mini-v to pull behind my mini-t.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 AM
VDub99AML

Nitro, that trailer was a winter project last year. I just made it out of 3/16" dia. 12" long square brass tubes, reinforced it at the joints with 3/16" brake line and soldered it all together. If you want, I can email you pics of it as it came along as to not hijack Bigsliks thread. As for the center of gravity, my motor is also in the rear, and I think if it was farther up in the radio compartment it would be harder to achieve the 30% to the rear cog.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:38 AM
vbt

okay...I'm VERY new to this but in reading this thread, the question of two props, two rudders, is still unanswered for me. Is the boat supposed to have two, or one? Also the question of the SH being a real or fake. Is this boat some kind of collectible that some folks have tried to copy and pass as the real thing?

Tim
Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 AM
retaobcr
Banned

May i add something? If teflon fits tight to brass and brass is 1/4" and cable is .130, water will come up the stuffing tube with ease.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
retaobcr
Banned

Your rudder is to close to strut. The distance should be 1 1/2" to the right of strut.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 AM
bigsliks

OK thanks for that retaobcr, I will move the rudder over.

My CG is very good at 1/3 length from the back of the boat the batterys do sit forward from the motor.

With the brass tube and stuffing tube there is less then a mm of play, and same thing with the stuffing tube and flex shaft, less then a mm of play.
they are not a tight.

I lubed the flexshaft with bearing grease really well last night and that seemed to stop the water from coming in.

QUESTION:

I have the stock plastic adjustable trim tabs, they are a little longer but a little bit skinnier.

Would these be worth using instead of the trim tabs I have on it now?

I would still get some turning fins to use of course!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
retaobcr
Banned

Leave trim tabs as they are.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
bigsliks

OK,

but with the trim tabs where they are the turning fins are not at 90 degs, is they a big deal or I could just bend them to get the correct angle.

What do you think?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 PM
VDub99AML

I would just bend them
Old 01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
bigsliks

Thanks

I did bend them and if they bend when running it i'll just make a couple more out of thicker alum.

I moved the rudder over so I'm hoping that works well.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 PM
VDub99AML

got any pics?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
bigsliks

I'll get some pics today.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
bigsliks

Here are some new ones
the rudder is now moved over and down a little

the turn fins are 90 deg I don't realy like to bend them because they are pretty thin.

you can see that I have cut about 3/4 inch off the back, I have to fab somthing to fill the gap

that is between the cover and transom, I'm thinking of using some dense foam. like the stuff they use on rc street car bumpers

that way it won't be to heavy and be water tight-ish LOL

Name:	Ig13869.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	863631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85901.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	863632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91635.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	863633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12661.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	863634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97501.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	863635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54619.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	863636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt31656.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	863637  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
crazy maxx

video!!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM
bigsliks

Hi guys, I got the boat in the water and was very pleased with the performance.

My question to you guys is, when in the water and going slowly the boat does not turn!,
the rudder turns but the boat doesn't.

I need to speed the boat up before it starts to turn, when I get the boat on plane the boat turns very well.

C of G is spot on, I feel though the boat sits a little low in the water, what is the thinking on this?

Also the boat hops when going strait, what could this be?

please look at my setup and let me know what might be the problem?

do I need turning fins?

I understand what they do, but my brothers Shockwave 55 doesn't have any turning fins, but has dual rudders.

thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
VDub99AML

Perhaps the boat will not turn while going slow because of the turn fins? This is just a guess. I'm thinking that with the turn fins pointing straight, the hull (very wet while not on plane), and the strut wanting to point the boat in a straight line while 1 single rudder wants to turn the craft. If I remember right, I think mine does the same thing. As far as the hoping, try turning the trim tabs down just a tad to start and see if that helps. Just remember to make very small adjustments at a time. I will say that I am quite jealous if you're running your boat this time of year. All the water is frozen solid around here, and is just too cold to go out period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.