Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

unnofficial blackjack 26 brushless thread!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

unnofficial blackjack 26 brushless thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:44 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: unnofficial blackjack 26 brushless thread!

I ran the blbj again the other day, it has picked up just a bit more speed,
I fixed the prop pitch a bit, and mounted an additional water pick-up
directly to the motor and ESC. I have a venom Heat temp, its aruond 6-12
degrees cooler. I found that hard to believe but it was lol. Anyways Iv talked to
the guys of Offshoreelectrics and Im about to put the -Hydra240/Feigao10XL/ w/ (2) 11.1v 5000mah 20c Max Amps batterys and
an octura x642 prop. Im gunna try for mid to upper 60's, possible for this hull you think??????[:@]
Old 01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

Oh, and right now my battery's are 5000mah 8.4v Nimh
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
ctonez

how many cycles on the packs?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

Heres some pics...

My O.S .18 BJ26 AND BLBJ!!

Sorry not the best quality pics.[]
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

The batterys have only 5 runs on this boat overall. Iv heard that it takes nimh a couple of charges to put out full power???
Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
ctonez

yes, that is typically the case. 10 minutes is probably about right...you might get more with some setup tweaking and balancing your packs between days of hard charging.

prop tweaks will help too, Obrien can help more with this particular hull, he's been running it hard the last month or 2 trying to find it's limits.

I don't recall what his runtimes are like though.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:04 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

What do you think about running (2) 11.1v 20c 5000mah lipos maxamps and hydra240 with feiago10xl motor new prop?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:35 AM
jDracerX

ORIGINAL: UTAviolist

a gentleman on another forum said the BJ can handle the CF 48, so I think I will try the 45, and then if that goes ok, the 48. BTW, if anyone missed it, I am running with fuller's cat hardware.
UTAviolist, can you show us a pic's of your fuller's offshore cat hardware.

I'm planning on getting a set myself is it a complete kit with flex shaft and all. I'm currently running twisted liquid hardware on my BJ with an x642 prop and let me be the 100th sucker to tell you that there product sucks. The strut is worn out so badly after a few runs... it’s about 1mm of play in all directions causing crazy cavitations and vibrations.

Dose the Fuller's strut have bearings in side them… its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like a brass scuffing tube to me.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:17 AM
jDracerX

Aeromarine blackjack hardware check it out

[link=http://www.aeromarinerc.com]AMRC_BJ_26[/link]
Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM
S!N!ST3R RC hObbys

On the pics on there site it seems that the prop is held on by a tube or somthing ***!!!! ????
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
obrien

ORIGINAL: ctonez

yes, that is typically the case. 10 minutes is probably about right...you might get more with some setup tweaking and balancing your packs between days of hard charging.

prop tweaks will help too, Obrien can help more with this particular hull, he's been running it hard the last month or 2 trying to find it's limits.

I don't recall what his runtimes are like though.

To be honest, I don't really know. I usually turn it over. I am always pushing it to the limit it seems. If I had to quess, i would say in the 6-10 min range, but I have never payed much attention. If I don't blow over the boat, something else seems to happen. Last saturday, I had a wire come off the deans connector when I was running my lipos. So that run didn't last but about a min or 2. I did run just shy of 52, which was pretty good considering how windy it was, and the boat didn't go over. lol

So far my best is still 51.9 on the trinity 4200 6 cell packs and 52.8 with a set of lipos. I think however that I may have gone a bit to far on my prop as it doesn't seem to run like it did before.

It doesn't help that I had to do a bit of repair work to fix that nasty crack down the side from multiple blowovers.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 AM
UTAviolist

jdracer,

i don't have any pictures of the fuller's hardware right now, but i will try to get some. to be honest, i'm considering going with some different hardware...i'm not sure the fuller's is the right setup for this boat. the strut doesn't have bearings, but it is a nice, tight, quality fit and works very well.

i think the problem with the fuller's cat hardware is that the strut is mounted too far back from the hull. give the position of the stuffing tube at the transom, it makes it hard to make adjustments that really help the speed as far as i've experience...but then again, this is the first cat i've ever owned, so i may just be totally clueless as to how to adjust it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:35 PM
TrunkMunky

Anyone try the Aeromarine setup previously mentioned?,looks very tight.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:58 PM
goldendesign04

sorry to disrupt the flow of the thread with an unrelated, but noticed something on obriens setup I could use an answer too
Obrien,
I see that your using the ETTI water jacket, I have one also, how did you get it on the motor?
I know silly question, an to be truthfull I havent really tried, but it does seem to be a bit of a bugger, they have a tool on their store that supposedly make it a breeze an maybe Ill buy one to make it easier to outfit future motors but I cant justify paying over the cost of the WJ to put it on. I know I will figure it out by the time Im ready to mount it, but if you have any hints as to how you did it, that would be great.

Thanks
-Wayne

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 PM
obrien

I just used a flat head screw driver and carefully worked my way around the o-ring pushing it between the jacket and the motor.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 AM
SV27dayton

I little WD-40 works onders as well. Great for bicycle grips too.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 PM
TrunkMunky

Guess I'll have to do my own experimentin' on this boat.I thought this cat would be much more popular for mods than what I've been seeing so far,at least as much as the sv27.Most owners seem pretty happy with em.I'll put the aeromarine hardware on as soon as it comes in.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM
TrunkMunky

Who runs the ammo motor with the stock esc? Please chime in on your setup. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Gasser26

Ok question, I am new to the brushless world. I see that proboat offers eperately a programmer for the brushless esc. Mostly used for lipo's I guess. My question is, would it be worth the 20 bucks if I never plan to run lipos. Has anyone seen any real gains just by programming it? Anyone tried any three blade props?
[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 AM
UTAviolist

Trunky, I am in the middle of getting a very interesting mod done to my supervee, which will allow me to run the ammo that is in my SV right now in my blackjack with minimal pain during the switching out. I took a spare SV motor plate to a machine shop and am having the guy slot the three holes that the screws and motor shaft go through so that instead of having to take the whole stupid mount off, all i have to do is remove the flexshaft, loosen the two screws, and slide that puppy out. as soon as i get that little gem back, i'm going to be a motor switching freak! then i'll be able to tell you how things go with the ammo motor and a stock ESC
Old 02-15-2008, 02:05 AM
TrunkMunky

Sweet,now you can pimp your boat in a few different races.I also have the ammo 1800kv motor,and an x-power 100 esc to try out,maybe I'll get the 2300kv to run along with it to compare them.Ran the blackjack in the windy water,and was quite suprised how stable it was,still waiting on the lipos and aeromarine hardware to show up so I can compare that setup vs stock with 7 cell 4400 nmh batts.Like everyone says,this stock setup doesn't turn for nuthin,..hooks like a mutha.Rips a straight though.Can you get pics of the mount when finished?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Gasser26

hey all, just got mine today and was wondering if its safe to run it in the freezing cold water? Or will it crack something in the motor?
thanks[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
SV27dayton

Aluminum props don't like cold water but you likely don't have one. YOu should be good.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
SV27dayton

You should have a retrieval plan. You won't be going swimming in michigan. It's a crappy feeling when it goes over and you have to consider the posibility of not recovering your boat. Be prepared
Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 PM
sushi2me

Yo', Dayton - I remember you from a couple of other threads - do you remember me?

Anyway, I too have a BJ26BL & a BJ26NITRO - just like I have an SV27BL & a SV27Nitro - I think that one of those is/are probably the forum/forums I remember you from.

I'm in Delaware where we get "hard water" a lot during the winter but not as quickly as Michigan does unless it's saltwater which I'm sure that you know doesn't freeze until a lower temperature is reached, if at all. The other problem is that it's been too windy virtually all this year so far and most of last year. (Look at My Marina in my profile - you'll see that I have a virtual "Ton" of boats - I also have a MiniCatRacingUSA.com Micro Hydro - which absolutely needs flat smooth water but then it becomes so stable that it can really haul butt on straightaways and make sharp turns)

I HAVE been swimming to retrieve boats, I think we all have at some point early in our RC boating endeavors - but it's not much fun when the county park maintenance employees, and there is a sign on the beach with the swim ring saying the same thing, tell me that the water is polluted because of all of the duck and goose poop!

Let's take this one step at a time:

First, IF you HAVE TO go swimming, before I go swimming, I make sure I have someone watching me - not necessarily a buddy but some onlooker who I tell what I'm doing and to please watch me.

You're right - EVERYBODY needs a retrieval system!

Here's something I just built for about $12 - 15 worth of materials: some, the foam flotation noodle (same stuff you use to keep your boat afloat) from the swim pool supply store and most from my local Home Depot - I don't remember where I got the picture - but it's probably the best RESCUE BOAT SYTEM I've seen so far.

All you need is the following items/supplies:

2 - float "noodles" with 1/2 id hole in the center - one or two will support a 200 lb person - I should know!
1/2" PVC tubing - about 20' worth (I think it comes in 12 or 14' lengths for about $1.59 each - can't get much cheaper!
All the different 1/2" PVC 45 and 90 degree joints, t's, couplers, etc. - these run about 50 cents each!
PVC joint adhesive - one can which has a brush attached to the lid
A saw or something to cut the PVC tubing with (specialized cutters like the ones you just twirl around the tubing are too expensive)

Note 1: here's a tip on getting 1/2' foam onto 1/2" PVC tubing - first, put the flotation tubing onto the individual pieces of tubing BEFORE you glue the frame together. Second, you can use vaseline to lubricate the PVC tubing to make it easier to push the tubing into the hole in the floatation otherwise it's "...like trying to put a square peg in a round hole". 1/2 inch isn't supposed to go into 1/2 inch but the flotation is flexible and will stretch enough to fit around the tubing. If you HAVE to use bigger tubing for bigger boats, you can make a single cut the length of the foam in order to wrap it around the tubing and then use twist ties to hold the flotation on the tubing.

Note 2: it's VERY easy to build and you can personalize it any number of ways - make it a fold up for example!

I have a Traxxas Villain EX that I use as my rescue boat, which is not bad in it's own right when you put in high mAh NiMH packs (it takes 2 for 14.4V) and metal props, as a rescue boat. I've tried using it to carefully nudge my stalled or overturned boats in to shore but that's really difficult - you don't really have much control this way.

I've also tried the old fishing rod & tennis ball retrieval system but most of the time the boat is too far away. I've also tried the tennis ball on a string/fishing line pulled behind the rescue boat and which you try to snag the boat - either its prop or whatever you can snag. The problem with that method is that if you're not careful, you snag your own boat's props!

THAT'S why I like this retrieval system the most - you just put your rescue boat - in my case, it's the Villain EX which, incidentally, can use the same NiMH 6 cell battery packs that we use in the SV27BL and the BJ26BL but Traxxas Tech Support says that if you go much above 3300 mAh, you might need to change the pinion gear - the ESC is already water-cooled stock as is the twin 550-sized motors which is another upgrade along with the metal props - into one end (usually a narrower end that's the right width for your pusher rescue boat to fit into. Then you simply guide the whole deal so that the boat that needs to be rescued is nicely inside the front portion. I made my front wide enough for even my ProBoat SuperSport 55 - it's based upon YOUR needs.

Again, once you've built it - just put the "rescue frame" intp the water and guide your "pusher rescue boat" into the rear and then run the whole apparatus to push the front of the frame around the boat (as in the picture) to be rescued THEN push it SLOWLY into shore.

If you have any questions, please ask!

sushi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82986.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	879404  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.