Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Just ordered the Proboat Apache 24

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Just ordered the Proboat Apache 24

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
lcplwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered the Proboat Apache 24

I will run this stock first. then possibly add a better motor later on but what can this ESC handle?
I might even replace the esc motor later on.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:14 PM
banzaij
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just ordered the Proboat Apache 24

ESC Specs from the Proboat website:
Continuous Maximum Current: 40 amps
Input Voltage: 4-10 cells (4.8-12 V)
Motor Limit: 15 turns
Dimensions (WxLxH): 42 x 47 x 13 mm
Weight: 89 g
BEC Voltage: 6.0VDC 1 amp. Max.

Someone with who may have "tested" the actual limits of this ESC might be able confirm what the practical limits are, which are likely to be less than the advertised specs.

The internals of the Apache hull definitely limit your battery options. A 6 cell pack is pretty much the limit unless you modify the area where the pack fits or if you go lipo. Lipo is probably the best bet if you end up wanting significantly more power.

I'm considering a mild upgrade from stock.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 PM
lcplwan

As the video shows, its ok speed to me. of course most people would want to go faster. I dont plan on making it anything past 20-25 mph.
modding a battery pack should be pretty easy, or i could use my lipo packs. Does water get into yours? Should I bother trying to put some water proofing to it?.

40 amps and no lower than a 15 turn motor, so basically i can try almost anything above 16 turns.. what Kv should I go with?

What if I go with a high turn motor for higher end top speed? ie 20 turn?..
Old 01-13-2008, 11:11 PM
banzaij
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: lcplwan

modding a battery pack should be pretty easy, or i could use my lipo packs.
The ssue is space inside the hull. There is no room for anything more than a stanard 6 cell pack unless you start cutting into the hull. Even then, I think it would likely be forced to build some odd custom pack just for this one boat. Seems like too much effort, particularly if you are even remotely considering lipo. Just go lipo if 6 cells isn't enough for you.

I'm new to boats, so I can't suggest anything in terms of motors just yet. I've asked questions of this group along the same lines. In my case where I just want to use the stock prop for now, they suggested a couple of high torque long can 550 motors. Not too low turn.

Yes, water does get into the hull. I suspect most comes from splashing by the transom.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
lcplwan

I called up the first place i ordered from, southeastrc.com to check on my order and they had problems with their computers so they said they couldn't do anything over the phone because of security issues so i sent a email canceling my order. I then ordered through gravesrc.com they sent it out the same day and i should be getting it tomorrow the 23rd.
Well I just got a email from southeastrc.com saying my order has shipped... *** I canceled days ago and now im getting a 2nd boat tomorrow too. Should I try to sell it here or on ebay? or should i just refuse the package..

here is their reply

Sir:
We apologize that this mess has occurred.

We didn’t receive the e-mail – we don’t know yet if that was connected to the melt down of the web order database.

We told all of our salespeople to either give calls like yours to Susie, myself (unless it’s the weekend when I’m not here) or take a message. You shouldn’t have been told what you were when it comes to a cancellation.

Because the one we had in stock at the time of your order was sold in the store, I had one drop shipped straight from the manufacturer there in California yesterday. When we do this, it usually takes them overnight to send us the tracking information by fax. That’s why I didn’t e-mail you that until this morning.

The manufacturer is saying they can’t recall the package. If you would be so kind as to refuse the package when it comes we will refund the order. If you could e-mail us (we believe it’s working properly now) or call us (ask for either Susie or myself) when you refuse it, we can check the tracking number and when it shows that it’s on it’s way back to the manufacturer we’ll take care of that then.

Again, we apologize for all of this inconvenience. We really did intend to get this sent as soon as possible to make up for the delay caused by the computer problem.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.

Thank you,

Kathy

Shipping Manager

So I sent them a email saying thanks, I will go ahead and keep it and either give it as a gift or resell on ebay..
Old 06-24-2008, 04:42 PM
j.m.

is it still available?