Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

cheap battery idea?

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

cheap battery idea?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 PM
realcheapspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cheap battery idea?

sounds like an idea, i would need it to be cheap, $10, if you have any links that would be great, im unfamiliar with it so im not sure what to look for.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 AM
deestingray

Just to throw something else in the mix, have you considered downsizing the motor to an outrunner or something like that? You can pick up a 400 sized 3000kv with esc for 20 bucks these days on ebay. Buy yourself a 1000mah lipo and you are good to go for under 40 bucks. Being that you have already considered an 18" hull, that motor will be enough to push it along no worries at all. Are you looking for decent speed?? If so, the outrunner will do your job as it has pretty good torque and on a 28 - 30mm prop should scoot along nicely.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 PM
realcheapspeed

sounds like something i should look into, why would there b a motor that good for so cheap? any yes, the primary goal is speed. if u have any in mind a link would be well appreciated.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
alloutcustom

A 20x6in hull would be prefect on 6-cells on a Co27. Its a good motor and you'll be pleased with the speed. BTW, how fast are you planning to go.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
deestingray

Try something like this, http://cgi.ebay.com/3500-KV-Outrunne...QQcmdZViewItem

That doesn't look like a true outrunner but it would do your job no worries at all. Reason these things are so cheap is that they are mass produced in China and are generally a copy of a brand name. It doesn't take away from their effectiveness though and they do work quite well. If you are going to use something with a highish KV such as this one, make sure you keep the props down on size, the RPM will take care of the rest. If you do overprop on this motor, you will probably fry the esc. On a 3S lipo, you will be getting unloaded rpm of 38,000 which is heaps, a good sport boat will make around 25,000-27,000 rpm under load. If you can find something around the 2600KV mark, that would probably be a bit better for you. Make sure you build light as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
realcheapspeed

how fast could i go is more of the question, motor for $30 max. it seems like this motor isnt as powerful as the brush motors i was looking at, in either case what speeds could be expected with these setups and a prop to match well.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:50 PM
alloutcustom

with a co27, maybe 25 if it was set up extremely well.
With a brushless 370. depends. Prolly 30 for the cheap United Hobbies one.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
deestingray

There isn't any use having a super powerful motor if you cannot supply enough power, the ammo for instance needs at least 40amps constant to make it really sing. I know it doesn't have to be for very long but I have found that even the outrunner in my 17" boat sucks too much power for my 3S 1300mah 12C and the low voltage on the esc kicks in.
On a better lipo however, it is good for nearly 30mph and is very light and prone to blowovers as I don't have the COG set up very well. Prolly too fast for the hull that I made too.
From my perspective, I am looking at the power to weight. A brushed 05 motor weighs probably nearly double that the brushless with the esc is but as I said earlier, it will be more prone to blowovers being that it is so light.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
realcheapspeed

thanks for all the help,now that i know my options i think im gunna try it out and post back once i get some results. might be a couple weeks.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 AM
goldendesign04

definetly keep us up to date! pics help. Also there is a few of us here in Florida running so if you need help, you know in person, let us know.
Im in tampa/oldsmar an work in/around pasco county[8D] gotta love the sun

-Wayne
Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
realcheapspeed

thanks a lot, im from orlando. ill make sure to get pics, hopefully some videos even. should be a couple weeks though.
-John