Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Mini Rio

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Aquacraft Mini Rio

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
pocketear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aquacraft Mini Rio

have you tryed a balloon
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: banzilla

Just a quick question. Whats the best way to waterproof an ESC? Like a mamba-25 for example. I have tried a few ways but havent been able to keep it dry. Thanks.
Have you been taping the hatch shut??
Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
JonKBMW

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: banzilla

Just a quick question. Whats the best way to waterproof an ESC? Like a mamba-25 for example. I have tried a few ways but havent been able to keep it dry. Thanks.
Have you been taping the hatch shut??
I don't undersand what you mean. The hatch as in the thing with the swivel clip, or the dual round jobbies? My boot went upside down today and no water got in with nothing taped!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Wheelnut

If no water gets in they why are you worried about water proffing the esc for?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:40 AM
banzilla
My Feedback: (2)

No I havent been taping it shut. I just wanted to know a good method of waterproofing a esc. I'm looking into conformal coating, and a product called corrosionx. I get minimal water, but when esc gets wet, it acts up, then I have to wait for it to dry out for it to become normal.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Wheelnut

One of the main goals of setting up a boat is to make sure water doesn't get in. Taping your hatch shut is one of the easiest ways to do that.
Corrosion X will work fine. But you will need to cut the plastic cover off the esc to do it.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 PM
banzilla

TY sir
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
pocketear

Hey guy i put a vr3 in my boat it way faster now but messed up my lipo its a 1050 mah 2 cell and it was swelled up and now it wont charge i dont know what to do i orderd a 3 cell 1500mah i also have a problem with the tx it wont work far away and when it does work it leeps it only happens sometimes but what can i do besides buy a new one anything would help
Thanks!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "leap frog" syndrome is typical of these boats. From what I can gather off the internet, it is a 50/50 chance we get crappy radios with this boat. I got one too! At first I thought it was weak transmitter batteries, but it is the Aquacraft (Futaba) radio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDU-_tGCxxA
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
pocketear

so you cant even take the crystal out of the tx so what can i do i have the blue boat its 26.something i have many transmitters so if i buy the right cyrstyle will that fix the problem
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 AM
smaerd58
My Feedback: (13)

Chuck E. Cheese, can you use regular 2/3A Cells Nimh with the esc you gave link to? Or do you have to use LIPO? Thanks
Old 08-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Wheelnut

I don't understand why you guys don't get it.
There is no esc that can only use lipo or nimh. They all can use either.
PS. that would be 2/3A cells
Old 08-05-2008, 01:57 PM
smaerd58

Easy there Wheel.... Some ESC says LIPO and don't give specs for NIMH so I asked the question. I have the Blue AQ MR and the junk radio antenna pulled apart and I have the leap frog affect. So I am going to gut out and go with "Chuck E. Cheese" recommendations of brushless set up with the. HXT 2835 (380S) 2700kv Brushless Inrunner and SuperSimple 30A ESC. My other question about the ESC and I hope I don't get blasted on this one either is do you have to have a pistix to use this on pistol grip radio's? I don't know if this is for airplanes or surface? Hopefully Chuck E. Cheese is watching and can shed some light on this. Thanks, Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34578.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1005124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37462.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1005125  
Old 08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Wheelnut

No harm meant.
For the record I would like to make a statement for anyone wondering.

7.2 Volts DC is 7.2V DC whether it comes from lipo or NIMH or NICD or anyother type of DC battery or powersupply. DC voltage is DC Voltage no matter where it comes from.
The esc does not care what type of battery the voltage is coming from, just as long as it is not too much or too less voltage. Most electronic equipment has enough tolerance to withstand slightly more voltage than it is rated for. For instance, an esc rated for 7.2V can more than likely withstand 8.4V with no problem. The trick here is that with NIMH batteries you can jump 1.2V easily by adding one cell, giving your model a pretty good boost in speed. But you can't do this with lipo because each cell is 3.7V wich by adding another cell will probably put the voltage out of range for the esc mentioned here and fry it.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
dadyo39

Need some help I have mini rio with the v3 motor .047 piano wire shaft octura x 432 plastic prop. The boat runs fine except the battery get smokin hot have had some wire coatings melt. just using stock pack HELP []

Mark
Old 08-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Basstronics

Need new wires on the pack and deans connectors...
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Wheelnut

Do any of you guys know if the mini rio stock setup has reverse or not. I can't remember. Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Nina Roses Dad

forward only!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Ron720

Hi
My Mini Rio came today I got a red one. I have to say this is a neat looking little boat.
I charged the stock battery pack and took it out to the lake of a test run.
I did no modifications at all so everything was stock right out of the box.
I was shocked how slow the boat go's. Mine would only go about as fast a slow walking speed maybe 2 mph. The motor runs fast and it seemed like it would really go. But as soon as it was in the water is was just slow. This surprised me because before I ordered the boat I watched the videos of it being reviewed and the video from Aquacraft site.
My boats performance is not even close to what is shown in the videos. On top of this my radio range is maybe 75 feet. This also really surprised me to. And one last thing I pulled the shaft out to lube it up. One of the set screws is striped out... how nice.

After my test run I called up the service center listed in the instruction manual. I told the tech on over the phone what my boat was doing and about the short radio range.
I was told by the tech they have never had any problems reported with the battery packs and that I need to cycle my pack. He said I need to cycle the pack 7 times and with each recharge the boat will get a little faster. And I questioned him about the short radio range. He said 75 feet is about right for the mini rio boat. I got the feeling he was just trying to get me off the phone.

I'm getting a feeling that I must have got a bad boat or these boats don't perform any ware near what is shown on the advertizing videos.
Has anyone else had these issues with the boat right out of the box (stock) ??
I'm really trying to like the boat. I wasent looking for a top preformance race boat or anything. But I think there are toy boats you can go by a local stores for $30 that run about like mine does.. I was expecting something a step up from those toys with this boat.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Nina Roses Dad

let the charger top off the battery pack overnight on trickle. when the peak detection kicks in and stops the fast charge, only one (the weakest) of your six cells is completely charged. this affects speed, the boat's ability to get on plane and also the ability of the rx to pick up the radio signal.

Make sure the antenna wire is pulled all the way out.

the trick with this boat is to keep it moving. if you come to a stop, you have to get back on plane all over again. Try to position the battery pack as far forward as you can without letting it rub on the coupler. if you glue a piece of closed-cell foam or something to the back of the pack and then cinch it down with the rear hatch cover, that'll work.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Ron720

ORIGINAL: Nina Roses Dad

let the charger top off the battery pack overnight on trickle. when the peak detection kicks in and stops the fast charge, only one (the weakest) of your six cells is completely charged. this affects speed, the boat's ability to get on plane and also the ability of the rx to pick up the radio signal.

Make sure the antenna wire is pulled all the way out.

the trick with this boat is to keep it moving. if you come to a stop, you have to get back on plane all over again. Try to position the battery pack as far forward as you can without letting it rub on the coupler. if you glue a piece of closed-cell foam or something to the back of the pack and then cinch it down with the rear hatch cover, that'll work.
Thanks for the reply. I have the battery hooked up to my FMA cycler now. This will tell me if I have a bad pack or not and will give me a good charge.
Thanks for the tip with moving the battery foward I will try this.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Basstronics

Ya the first few times the boat is SLOW.

But the boat will speed up with more charges as stated.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
FHHOBBIES

smaerd58, it is said that those Super Simple ESCs work well with pistol radios so you should be good as is, I have some on the way for that reason and because they are cheap, I also have some of those motors on the way but the higher KV so I can use 2S... gonna build a couple micro Cats!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:49 PM
FHHOBBIES

As far as the ESC/battery thing goes, I think the issue there is some ESCs do not have 3v voltage cutoff for lipo so you run the risk of burning up some packs.... any ESC will run with any battery, you just want to make sure you don't run down your lipos.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM
smaerd58

FHHOBBIES , thanks for the reply on the ESC and pistol radios. I am going to put my order in now. I will post results in the forum when I run it again,Rick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.