Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

MISS VEGAS BRUSHLESS CONVERSION?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

MISS VEGAS BRUSHLESS CONVERSION?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
carakter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MISS VEGAS BRUSHLESS CONVERSION?

hedach - have you tried any of the lifter props as suggested by Grim for the UL-1 on the Vegas? It's listed at Tower. I would have had her on water yesterday had it not been for the busted UBEC. I was set to try out the 6S pack and I didn't want an temporary rx pack in it. I sent the UBEC out for repairs - if that doesn't pan out, may have to shell out for a new one. Hope to get her on water soon. I will post some pix after everything smoothens out.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 PM
hedach
My Feedback: (2)

Tried the 2047 prop that was used on the fastest run for the U1 and i could not get her to plain at all. Shallow or deep... didnt work it would just cavitate. I had my hopes up for that prop but it just will not work...O-well. By the way ...should you be using a bec with over 4 cells? I dont think you are supposed to...you better check but i could be wrong.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Give it a toss to literally throw it on plane while giving her throttle. I wouldn't run that prop for more than 2 passes. It's far too large for continuous running.

Ryan
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
hedach

Ryan i cut the prop down a tad to reduce the size ...it was pretty big. As far as "Give it a toss" ......man i was throwing this boat in with all i had and it still just screamed with no speed. Gps showed 17 mph ...WOO HOOO
Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
ryan_t888

Oh ok. Cutting the prop down changes the pitch ratio. When you reduce diameter the pitch ratio increases. Reducing diameter also reduces thrust. If you don't have any other use for that prop, I would try and reduce the pitch of the prop and take some lift out of it as well.

Ryan
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 AM
carakter

ORIGINAL: hedach

Tried the 2047 prop that was used on the fastest run for the U1 and i could not get her to plain at all. Shallow or deep... did work it would just cavitate. I had my hopes up for that prop but it just will not work...O-well.
So you think the M545 still the best prop choice? What about smaller diameter 3 blades?

By the way ...should you be using a bec with over 4 cells? I dont think you are supposed to...you better check but i could be wrong.
The besc I will be using is opto - meaning it sends no power to the reciever - which is why I need to use an rx pack or a UBEC. And yes, running over 3S suggests the need of using a seperate power supply for the reciever as it will tend to screw up the voltage regulator output on the rx - a major cause of glitching - not to mention heating up the rx internals.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
hedach

I tried the smaller props ...x440,x442 and 3 blade and the boat would only muster a 48-51 between all of them.....not that that is slow but thats all she had.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 AM
detox

You can make your boat faster by increasing the Angle Of Attack of your sponsons. Grimracer once stated that the Miss Vegas hull does not have enough AOA to go really fast. When he designed the UL-1 he used more AOA for less drag and faster speeds using electric power. How you increase AOA is up to you, but I glued 1/4" inch balsa wood to sponson's bottom then sanded to the correct angle using block and course sandpaper.

Check this tread out...post #17. You can see how I added AOA on Rigger Insanity's sponsons using the balsa wood. Be careful not to add too much angle...boat will ride too loose. There is a way to measure AOA if you want to know..
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8318552/tm.htm

Too much AOA in picture. I had to sand farther down to about 1/8" at trailing edge of sponson too achieve correct AOA of 1.125".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21964.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1132051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81989.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1132052  
Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
carakter

okay detox . . . you've tickled a nerve . . . how does one measure AOA? And how much of it is needed?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
detox

Here ya go:

With the Miss Vegas resting on setup board make sure strut is adjusted so that tub is level with set up board (rest boat on strut bottom and rear of sponsons). Then take a piece of 1/16" ply and slide it back under the front of sponson until it touches the ride surface. Measure the distance from where the 1/16" Ply Touches Front of Sponson to the Trailing Edge of the sponson. Using this method my UL-1 measures 1" from where the ply touches to the trailing edge of sponson.. On the Miss Vegas I would shoot for 1.375" measured distance. Increasing the AOA by adding material to sponsons will also raise ride height at sponsons, so readjust by raising strut so that tub is level before taking new measurment. You will probably have to add 1/8" to 1/4" balsa wood on sponson bottoms to achieve this angle. I glued on balsa wood using Devcon 2 ton epoxy then block sanded using course 80grit sandpaper wrapped around wood block (MDF board).

Warning: Adding too much AOA will cause the Hydro to run TOO LOOSE.

BTW...Chevy Rules! Just listen at this big block Chevy roar...Practice run!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axwVh...eature=related

http://mysite.verizon.net/Jerryhopp/index.html

Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM
hedach

Can i get that boat in remote controll!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 AM
carakter

Any word on the CMD Racing 4 blade aluminum props available at Steve's (OSE)? Just getting things I need for the 3/16" shaft conversion and some more props and came across it. Contemplating on giving it a try.

Oh detox . . . who is Jerry Hopp?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
detox

CMD props will not fit on the Aquacraft shaft unless you reposition drive dog to expose more threads on shaft.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
detox

CMD props will not fit on the Aquacraft shaft unless you reposition drive dog to expose more threads on shaft.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
carakter

So if I replaced the shaft with a slightly longer one . . . say 2.50 TO 2.75 . . . that should suffice.
Question is, would a slightly protruding prop make any difference in relation to the rudder and still my question . . .
- what can I expect from the 4 bladed aluminum prop (being a cleaver and all)?
. . . . . and what size should I start with if ever it's worth a try?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM
detox

You can grind a new slot location on propeller shaft for drive dog to expose more threads.

I purchase the smallest CMD 3 blade prop OSE sells (part # c4569/3 45mm diameter x 64mm pitch), but have not tried it in my new UL-1 yet. I have no idea what to expect...maybe some cavitation at the start? I am also thinking this prop may be a little too big for the UL-1...we will see.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 AM
carakter

Oh that's okay, I will be replacing the downturned 1/8" shaft anyway so I can interchange props with the SV.
I do have the 1/8 bore Octura M435/3 and the Grimracer 36 x 55/2 prop for the nitro vegas to try out first.
Don't know how it will respond to electric power though.
I better get back to finishing the boat - the weekend is fast approaching . . . now if only I can have my hands on a GPS . . .
Do let me know what comes out of your tests if and when you do try out the 4 blade.

hedach - you're way ahead of me in the game . . . care to give the 4 blade a try?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:09 PM
hedach

I never tried a 4 blade. It would be a whole new learning curve so im not wanting to go down that road again. Im pretty much real close to where i want to be so i cant stray to far prop wise. To big a prop and batts go poof. [&o] I have a spare gps a forerunner 101 if your interested. A guy wants it but have not heard back.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
carakter

Yes, I guess I'll wait for others to try it out first before venturing into it.
So how much for the (used/new) GPS? can you PM me the offer price?
thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM
hedach

Just crashed my boat[&o] Lost contact for 3 seconds and ran it into a rock. ESC, 1 minute old, reciever, servo all garbage. I just about had it with all the problems and might just sell all my parts and get out of it. Way to many problems for minamal satisfaction plus i cant find another hull. This sucks
Old 02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
carakter

Sorry for your loss . . . can't the hull be put back together? There's too few of us that went electric on this . . .
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM
hedach

Naaaa ......I broke it real good this time. It was stuck on this protruding rock in the middle of the lake and even my rescue boat got stuck trying to push it off so i left it. It sat half in the water all night untill i whent back and sent my son out in a raft to get it. Brand new 240 hydra gone!! Thank god the motor was above the water line!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM
carakter

Does the vegas fall under P Sport hydro - light? I was looking at the motor chart provided by Brian B. over at Neu website and would like to ask what made you choose the 1521 over the 1515?

[link=http://www.neumotors.com/Site/Boat_motors.html]Neu Motors[/link]
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 AM
ryan_t888

A 1521 is a bit too large for a small P size sport hydro. 1515 would work out better more specifically the 2200kv wind.

Ryan
Old 03-02-2009, 05:08 AM
carakter

Finally got her on water yesterday. Just wanted to see if there was any problem with the setup. Used a unbalanced grim 36x55 prop, 5S1P A123 x 2 packs (parallel), HV 100A opto esc (watercooled). Initial findings look promising as there was no smoke. Motor and esc temps were normal, though the esc lost sync with the motor a few times thereby causing a brown out for a few seconds until the esc got back in sync. Will try medium timing next . If that doesn't cut it, will have to try the newer version esc with faster CPU.

Next Sunday's tests calls for adjusted prop height and different battery COG. May even use a 6S1P (x2) packs Will also try different props. Better set aside a budget for the GPS. Update in a week.