Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

aquacraft hammer?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

aquacraft hammer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:40 PM
jesupslanding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aquacraft hammer?

i have a 'hammer' and i wanna upgrade to brush less.. idk what size motor it has but i wanna get a

motor to at least to get it up 60 ish.. wat size should i get
Old 07-14-2008, 01:05 AM
dicko

Default RE: aquacraft hammer?

the hull won't handle that speed. if you want to go that fast you'll need a whole new set up. if you want to go faster, order the SV electronics from tower, even that would probably be too much for the hammer hull.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wont get the hammer any where near 60 mph. Even with a brushless setup and good batteries you would be pushing to get to 30 and that would be at the limit of that hull. A better option would be to get an SV27 which would beat a modded hammer out the box (low 30's standard).
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 AM
jesupslanding

what if i make a fiberglass style of it?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not what the hull is made of that limits its speed. Its the shape, size and drive setup. The faster boats are surface drive. The hammer is subsurface. Its also pretty small for a mono that you want to push to 60 mph. Dedicated race gas powered monos are pushing 60 mph and even them at twice the size of the hammer are on the limit most of the time (more so in rough water).
I have the nitro hammer which is fiberglass. I have changed the engine as well as doing a bunch of other mods. I would expect it to be running around 25 mph. Even then it is sketchy in pnly slightly choppy water, much higher and it would be out of control.
60 mph in a hammer is not even close to a realistic target. Even the SV which is a much better hull than the hammer is on the edge at 40 mph.
I think you need to be more realistic, 30mph for a little model boat is surprisingly fast.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 AM
headhunter23

If you want 60mph you'll need around a 31" hull. The hull can go up to 33mph as I have one, and I have seen one video where it was going 101kph but I'm pretty sure the guy had modified the hull quite a bit and was constantly blowing over anyways. I think I can get my hammer up to 40mph but that would be with converting to surface drive and some other tweaks and tabs for sure. It would be easier and better to get a new hull and great hardware to make it consistent.

Ivan.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
jesupslanding

ok. what do you mean by surface drive?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

60mph in a hammer is just rediculous. I would estimate less than 5-10% of the fast electric boat population on RCU to have exceeded 60mph. It's not the easiest task, experienced wise and budget wise.

It would be in your best interest to start out with a boat similar to the Aquacraft SuperVee 27. Going from 10-15mph to 30-35mph will be a big enough jump. This boat is an excellent hull for new boaters to learn from and gain experience.

Ryan
Old 07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Nina Roses Dad

ORIGINAL: jesupslanding

ok. what do you mean by surface drive?

surface drive : prop is behind, not under the boat, and is halfway out of the water when the boat's on plane and at speed.

with subsurface, the prop is at an angle which is ok for a slow boat, but if the boat has too much power, it can easily leap out of the water like a dolphin all the time. This will crack the lightweight ABS hull when it lands. If you go to YouTube and search on the word "brushless" you can find plenty of clips of boats doing this. You can even find clips of brushless Hammers that were converted, but that was probably done with a boat where somebody had burned out their motor or esc and just said "well, why not?" For that kind of speed you really need a fiberglass hull, so you're better off selling the Hammer used on ebay while it's still in one piece and moving up to a SV27.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
coolguy1975

hi peeps...have a ? my gf has a nitro hammer..and i read all the info and understand that it probably could not handle a fast brushless setup as id like to convert it to electric so its not a pain in the butt to run all the time.i was wondering though could it handle say a titan 12 turn setup since thats not near as fast or powerfull as a brushless setup....and if it could how would i go about seeing about a motor mount that would work on the boat and which ones probably would..thx and any help would be so much appreciated
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM
coolguy1975

hi peeps...have a ? my gf has a nitro hammer..and i read all the info and understand that it probably could not handle a fast brushless setup as id like to convert it to electric so its not a pain in the butt to run all the time.i was wondering though could it handle say a titan 12 turn setup since thats not near as fast or powerfull as a brushless setup....and if it could how would i go about seeing about a motor mount that would work on the boat and which ones probably would..thx and any help would be so much appreciated