Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

K&B electric outboard conversion?

Hi

I'm planning to build an F1 tunnel hull with a K&B electric outboard conversion and need some expert help please.....

I checked a few website and it seems that they sell only complete nitro engines.

If you've done it can you please help me in terms:

1. What are the parts I need to get for the K&B electric outboard conversion?
    2. Some pictures would be greatly appreciated.

My choice for the K&B outboard is mainly because of durability. It uses a teflon liner in the stuffing box and can be replaced unlike others.... It also should be able to handle a brushless motor.

Thanks

JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: K&B electric outboard conversion?

~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Kmot

Thanks

I have considered BBY and Fuller's outboard also.

The main reason I'm going for the K&B is because they use a teflon line in the stuffing box while others do not. I guess there will be a lot of frictions and wear and tear since the flex cable will be turning in a stuffing box which is not straight. If there is a teflon lining I can always change the lining when it gets thin and still keep the lower leg......

What do you think? Is it possible to get pictures of your conversion?

By the way I really enjoy your build thread of the Equipage Venice. Do you have a build thread for the outboard?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't really have any pictures like I think you want to see. I did not convert the K&B, I purchased it already converted. Basically it has a u-shaped bracket that an electric motor can bolt to. The u-shaped bracket is held to the lower end by a pair of L-brackets.

When my flex cable wore out I made a brass liner to replace the teflon liner. Ron Olson on here said that's what most racers do anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57117.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	998238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79414.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	998239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo29325.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	998240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oi14718.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	998241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qb37600.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	998242  

~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KMOT

Thanks the K&B lower leg looks gorgeous. What I like about it is that the liner can be replaced and upgraded.

Cheers

JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brass Sleeve's have much less resistance. Especially for the near 90 degree bend.

Ryan

Gday jerome888business,
    Have you got your KB keg, sorry, leg? If not, pick one up on flea bay. They will pop up now and again. Get someone in Sydney to machine it up for you or if you have $$$, send it to BBY in US for perfection job.
    All the legs, whether KB, OS, Lawless, carbon fibre drives etc, can be utilised in some way for Fast Electric. All mentioned legs can use teflon/protective tubes, not just KB. They can all be swapped in some way, cut down, modified. But saying all this, the BBY KB leg is modified in a way so that your motor will sit lower. No need for expensive or home made motor mount. The coupler will spin inside the leg, exposed. All the hardware for the inards of the leg like prop assembly, coupler, prop nut and a prop which could be up to $70 now, finished.
    Mate, there is a wealth of info in these forums about tunnels, elec setups too. You live in Sydney, have you been out to Penrith? Winter Spec. Get out there and have a sticky beak. I went through this years ago and had to send alot of stuff to US. Now there are some locals doing this work too.
    Good luck and let us know how you go I uploaded some pics to help you.

Regards
    Peter

Name:	Wu59789.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	999789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ez82435.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	999790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va72348.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	999791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ic84993.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	999792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nz28792.jpg 
Views:	2087 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	999793  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56352.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	999794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54682.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	999795  
    This message was brought to you using 100% recycled electrons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'dday Peter

Thanks a lot for the pictures. Your electric conversions looks great and will be useful when I start my build

Is that a H&M Skater hull that I see? How do you find the hull? I'm thinking of getting one......

Got my K&B lower leg today. Its a gorgeous piece of metal

I have also ordered some parts from Fullers for the electric conversion, namely the coupler for the square shaft and the carbon fiber plate/spacer (used in the carbon unit) for the motor.

Its going to be a slow build but a great one hopefully. Once I get the parts from Fullers I'll be working on building a cover for the unit. I'll be using wood and fibreglass for that.

For power I'll be using the SV27 motor and ESC. I had those in my MHZ Eco boat but they are just too powerful for that hull

I'll post some pictures soon.

Yes I go to Penrith sometimes. Penrith and Manly Dam are my favourite spots. Do you know any other places in Sydney?

JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pictures

Name:	Db85124.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	1014043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aw70655.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	1014044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz67544.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	1014045  

Your welcome mate, no probs.

Indeed it is a HM Skater. We ordered 3 tunnels direct from Oliver at HM Germany. All good and easy. He even gave me chocolates and German tools as a treat. Nice touch.

Yep, saw your KB leg, congrats. You must be getting pretty excited now eh? Don't worry about slow build, take your time and get things right.

We started off running Lightning Neo 700x brushed setups, then 600 size outrunner heli motors in the tunnels, around 1600-1750kv on 4 or 5s lipo. The big blue motor on the OS leg is a KB45 8XL which will run on the HM big brother tunnel. There is a HM .21 size and .45 size. They are excellent for electric and I can send you pics from Oliver to get you even more excited about a HM purchase if you like. TS2 is a sweet tunnel too but I prefer nitro on that puppy. The wooden Dumas Hotshot sprint is also a tops elec/nitro boat. Remember, my mates and I just have fun and the best ever was a Hotshot powered by O.S .21 v's another Hotshot with REK/600 brushless - same ABC prop, 40% to 4s. Very close and competitive for non racers like us.

Be careful with any cover over the motor. Needs to be cooled from the passing air. Some motors have fans which help for outboard application.

Mate, anywhere where we fish, except busting ocean rocks or beaches, someone will usually have an rc boat to use. Last time we were at Brogo Dam, we had half the bass fisherpersons looking and marvelling at our tunnels. The sound would echo and people would come running to see what it was.

Here is an old vid of the wood and HM and a mono, if you have not already seen it. Out near Henry Lawson Drv.
    H&M Skater

Regards
    Peter

PS - Posted bad pic of Big Skater

Name:	Nl30339.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	1014711  

JC,

Want to go really SICK with the Big HM Tunnel call Oliver.

Name:	Pm34906.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	1014770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql33169.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	1014771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv56256.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1014772  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Holy sh****t!!!!!

That a sweet boat

Got any video of the sexy Sweet Speed? The paint job is really top notch. Well done!!!

Can you guys post some pics of the inside of your hulls. I'd really like to see some setups....[8D]. Thanks.

Where is Brogo dam? I know Henry Lawson Drive. I've been there a few times with my sailboat. Where exactly do you guys boat? I like Manly Dam because swimming is allowed there, good for stalled boat

Ok update on my side:

There was a small parcel in my letter box this morning..... Below is what I got from Fullers for the conversion.

The motor plate is made with the carbon material and looks and feels a lot like some high quality nylon. The coupler is a metal one with a coating of the carbon material. Its a direct fit to the square flex shaft that comes with the K&B leg.

So far so good but there is still a gap that needs to be filled between the motor and the lower leg. The motor plate is designed for the REK unit and not high enough for K&B .....[]

I'm still thinking of the best way to go about to fill that gap..... I don't want to remove any metal on my outboard or cut the motor shaft as I want everything to remain stock. Furthermore I don't know how to do that or have access to the correct tools.....

I'll probably build/buy a spacer, I measured the gap and it is 12 to 13 cms.... I saw in another forum someone used a spacer used for cars for the conversion and it was a direct fit. Can't really remember what forum it was. Does anybody know which forum it is?

Thanks for the advice concerning aeration of the motor. The motor will be water cooled by a waterjacket and I'm thinking of some vents in the motor cover, a bit like the big Graupner outboard.

Happy boating.

Cheers

JC

PS: the last picture is my MHZ micro fountain running at Centennial Park

Name:	Sq47394.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	1014816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bw71554.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	1014817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd83951.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1014818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96903.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	1014819  

I wish it was mine!!! It's Olivers boat (HM). See how he runs his tunnel with motor inside and up front. Just another concept to think about, but I like the real outboard setup.

Anyway, Brogo Dam is off the Princes Hwy, past Cobargo. Big freshwater dam for bass fishing. Not really for rc boats, but we saw no signs saying not too, nor did the anglers care. Just used common sense and pretty much stayed away from them. I wouldn't like them casting weighted nymphs at my boat so we don't rip up the water around them.

Here's some shots of the inards of the elec tunnels. Lipos sit right up the front in both. The HM has a sealed TS2 radio box, Hitec servo case for receiver, all other gear ballooned. Plastic cover on both is taped on and sealed. The canopy on the Sprint has a lip on the front and car type shortened body posts which use clips to hold. HM uses magnets at front, same setup rear + taped.

If you want to make your spacer/mount, Jaycar elecs sell a range of spacers, hollow or tapped to 3mm I think. A bit of 2-3mm thick ali for the plate. Drill or dremel the holes. Or as you say, keep your eyes peeled for one on flea bay or whatever. Don't fret, if no luck, get onto International Waters forum, introduce yourself, tell em your woes, tell em your in Sydney and I am sure one of them will help you out. Give me a holla if you have no luck.

I have not used my boats at Centennial Park. Is it ok to do that? Just 2 day ago, I took the big KB elec motor off its leg and put it into a recently purchased 5 inch ducted fan. My dad purchased a real size silly elec bike from flea bay and I suppose this is my attempt at showing him his sons stupidity by mounting thus said fan to my pushie on 6S mate. So, next time when your boating at Centennial Park and see two insane helmet wearing morans ripping around the bike track, one with a silly elec bike aged near 80 and one with a turbine, that will be me.

Regards
    Peter

Name:	Nl30185.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1015316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je98754.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	1015317  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

Well I'm not sure whether FE boating is authorised at Centennial Park..... I was there just trying my newly built Micro Fountain. One thing I notices there is that there are a lot of dead leaves, branches and rubbish in the lakes.[:@] My rudder was collecting a lot of those......

Ok quick questions concerning the K&B leg:

1. I tried to disassembled the unit but could not do do. I did unscrew the 5 screws. Pull the 2 sides of the leg apart, but they were still stuck at the bottom where the shaft assembly is..... Do I need to unscrew the shaft assembly also? If that's the case do I need a special tool. The depth of my spanner seems too large and there was a washer that was preventing the spanner to go all the way over the shaft assembly screw......

2. There are grooves on the top of the lower leg (where the motor mount/adapter sits). I could not find any screw that would fit it. What sixe of screws do you use?

Cheers

JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes you need to remove the shaft as it is screwed in to both of the halves. I have done so using open end wrenches. Remember, it would be left hand threads.

Ryan

Yes mate, what Ryan said. You have to remove the prop shaft as well to get the KB into halves. The thread turns the other way than what we are used to. Adjustable spanner will do the job. The 600 size motor I use on the KB leg came with 4 bolts. I use them and washers to space the motor. I'd say 2mm size and 1.5cm long. My KB leg is different than yours in the way that the can can sit almost directly on top.

Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

Thanks Ryan and 10X8

Managed to disassembled the unit today

I used an open end wrench to unscrew the shaft holder as suggested and everything split into 2....

The K&B unit is really a heavy duty piece of equipment. If properly looked after I believe this baby can last more than a lifetime and will be a family heirloom. I'm glad I bought it.

I did tried a nylon M3 bolt (bought at Jaycar) on the leg plate and it was not a fitting at all. I did try a 2 mm bolt unsuccessfully also, too small.... Can you tell me what size is the K&B bolt? Thanks

Went to Jaycar (electronic shop) today and they have a few nice tapped and untapped spacers. I'll buy some once I figure out what bolts fit the K&B leg first......

Also I was looking for an outboard motor motor mount. Finally I settled for a Prather 3.5 mounts. It is twice the price of the Dubro one but heck......... love has no price..... Now lets wait for the Australia Post man (UPS man for you guys in the US)

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/marine/index.htm#mount

I'm still thinking about the motor cover and have a few thing in mind. It'll probably be made of wood and fibreclass, painted in black and may be branded Quintrex (Australian well known brand of aluminium boat) or Yamaha......

Thanks for all your suggestions and keep them coming.

Cheers

JC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guys

Here is an update of my conversion.

It is nearly done. I am just waiting for some 4-40 screws to finish the 'open' conversion. Next step will be to build a motor cover with wood and fibreglass.

I have tried to leave the lower leg stock without any drilling or removal. For the conversion I have used 4 spacers, a Fullers conversion plate and the K&B nitro motor adaptor.

I have also received the Prather motor mount which is an impressive piece of metal.

My impression so far is that the parts are really tough and should last very long.

Ok has anybody build a cover for an outboard? Any pictures?

Next now is the building of the cover for the outboard.

Here are some pictures of the conversion so far.

Name:	Ge96683.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	1022141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh20520.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	1022142   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wc77521.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1022143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gz76013.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	1022144  

Looking good. Just make sure the motor gets airflow and watercool it if you insist on a cover. Here's an EP1 cover and some shots I found doing a search for 'outboard cover' at rcroups.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMNV3&P=Z

Peter

Name:	Om31962.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	1024340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn42365.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	1024341  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Peter

Thanks for the pictures. That's exactly what I was looking for .

My cover will be based on the Mercury cover. It will be fairly boxy as as it will be made of wood. I'll probably just round the edges.

I'm planning to watercool the motor. Would airflow be necessary in that case? Air vents would be nice but I'm concerned about water getting through......

I saw on another forum someone using the Aquacraft cover and it looks great. However I'll probably build the box and I'll have more space for the watercooling plumbing.

Concerning the watercooling I'll be adding another water pickup dedicated for the motor. The current pickup tube is pretty small and I guess that the waterflow would be restricted. That water pickup will be for the ESC cooling and the other one for the motor only.

Any suggestion?

Cheers

JC

JC, no worries mate. If you are going with a cover, air vents would be good. Fear not about your motor getting dunked. I have never had motor failure from it being submerged in fresh water. The guy with the EP1 cover put it on an electric TS2 over at rcgroups.
    I used to run water from above prop, around motor, through to the esc and then out. Then I went with water cooled esc only and then with no water cooling whatsoever as the batt/motor/esc & prop all run in the recommended range. My brushless motors do have huge fans on the top though.
    Now for your water cooling, I would get a full cooler: Motor Kuhlers from Andrew at Fast electrics.

Remember though, if you have a hard crash, the outboard cover will probably rip right off! Just a thought. And once that prop starts spinning, you'll notice the water will flow like a turned on tap through that pickup.

Peter

ORIGINAL: JCAustralia

Hi

I'm planning to build an F1 tunnel hull with a K&B electric outboard conversion and need some expert help please.....

I checked a few website and it seems that they sell only complete nitro engines.

If you've done it can you please help me in terms:

1. What are the parts I need to get for the K&B electric outboard conversion?
    2. Some pictures would be greatly appreciated.

My choice for the K&B outboard is mainly because of durability. It uses a teflon liner in the stuffing box and can be replaced unlike others.... It also should be able to handle a brushless motor.

Thanks

JC
    Now mate, I need, well the forum needs, to see pics of your tunnel. Don't you be mounting this device to a mono vehicle.

Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Peter et al

I wish I could show you the tunnel hull but its not possible at the moment.......as I haven't bought it yet......[&o]

I'll probably get the H&M Skater from Fine Design or the upcoming Aquacraft VS1 in a few month time.

Its going to be a very slow build as I've got a few car projects going on at the same time.

Besides I have 4 boats to keep me busy and would like to do some more research on outboards and tunnel hulls

Question concerning the after run maintenance of the outboard:

Do I need to regrease the flex shaft after each run? It would be very time consuming if that's the case.

I do regrease my SV27 shaft after every run and it take no more than 15mins.....

Cheers

JC

I don't do it after every run. After a day on the water I'd clean and re grease when I get home.

Peter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a question about the motors used in a conversion like this. Are there any motors that would adequately replace (read: not be dog slow) a .21 K&B engine , but only run on 6-7 cells? For example, would a Feigao 540S or 540L work? Or more generally, what factors are important in comparing an electric setup to an existing nitro engine?

I have an older, wood hydro that I'm considering converting to electric, but due to the design of the boat, 12 cells may be hard to place and balance without significant mods. Its strictly for sport use, no racing intended with this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast