Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Best way to trace plans on to wood???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Best way to trace plans on to wood???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
alloutcustom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to trace plans on to wood???

I have a question for all you woody builders, what is the best way to trace the plans onto the wood? Glue the plans on it? Tape it on? Trace it?
Right now i am taping it on but the tape isnt holding very well, thanks for any help,
Mike
Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
alloutcustom

Default RE: Best way to trace plans on to wood???

NVM, i found it in the airplane forums

Here it is if anyone is interested:

ORIGINAL: Dsegal

How To Create Patterns on Wood

Layout the pattern directly onto the wood.
Use a pencil, straightedge and drafting tools such as a compass and French curves. This is simplest with straight line shapes.

Pin*****s
Place the plan atop the wood and use a pin to make a series of holes through the plan and into the wood. Remove the plan and then "connect the dots" on the wood. This seems a low-tech method but in practice is very accurate, especially for curves.

Tracing shapes
Tracing paper
Tablets of tracing paper are available from CVS and Staples stores. Place the paper over the plan and trace with a pencil or pen. The pattern can be fixed to the wood by applying a glue stick to its back or using a removable-type spray cement. The pin***** method can be used or you can simply cut directly through the paper into the wood. This is a fragile pattern not intended for multiple parts. For greater durability the tracing can be glued to light card stock and then cut out for a template.

Mylar drafting film
This is a sturdy plastic with a roughened surface to take pencil and ink.A brand called "See-Temp" is sometimes advertised in modeling magazines. The mylar is easily cut with scissors or knife and can then be placed on the wood and traced around the edges.

Photocopying
This sounds like a great way to go but there is a hidden danger in the inability of the ordinary office copier to make an accurate same-size copy. If you use a copying machine first place a scale on the glass window and make a copy. Then place the scale alongside its photo image and measure the discrepancy. Even a one percent error means you will be off by 1/4 inch over 25 inches. Try to adjust the copying magnification on the machine to get the most accurate result. And if you come back and choose another machine at the print shop you will have to do the calibration test all over again.

Once you have made the photocopy it can be copied to the wood by pin*****s, cutting through the paper or transferring the ink onto the wood.

Ink transfer
Tests must be made for any brand of copying machine due to variations in their technology. And practice on scrap will avoid waste of good wood.

Heat transfer
The common process employed by copiers uses heat to fuse a powdered toner onto the paper. By placing the photocopy face down on the wood it may be possible to transfer the image, in reverse, onto the wood. Use a household iron for this.

Solvent transfer
The toner may be soluble in thinner such as lacquer thinner or dope thinner. Place the copy on the wood, image side down, and then dip a cotton swab into the solvent. Don't use too much liquid. Then draw the swab around the outline of the part and while pressing the swab down.. The liquid will briefly make the paper transparent so you can see what you are doing. Then lift the copy off. It may be possible to repeat this if enough toner remains on the paper.

Rib templates
When many identical pieces such as wing ribs must be cut it is useful to produce a rigid template. Lite-ply works well as it is cheap and easy to cut.. The pattern can be transferred from a photocopy by using a solvent-dipped swab. Then cut out the template- an electric scroll is perfect for this. Sand the edges to the final shape. If desired, the edges can be hardened by dribbling thin CyA adhesive. Place the template onto the balsa and draw the knife around the edges. Finger pressure is adequate to hold the template in place but pins can be pressed through the template to secure it. Note: omit the spar notches from the template so that the cutting movement with the knife will go more smoothly. Afterwards, the ribs can be stacked and pinned together so that the spar notches can be marked and then cut out

Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
jacob711

i just use a glue stick and glue plans onto the wood and then start cutting
Old 08-09-2008, 11:15 AM
FHHOBBIES

I cut my plan parts out a little oversize then use a mist of 3M77 spray on the paper to stick it on the wood, then use a bandsaw to cut it out. I have also made templates by gluing the plans to some thick paper/cardstock/thin cardboard then cut those out, now you can trace the part on the wood and you will always have the template for a future build.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Same here...spray adhesive plan pieces to your wood, band saw close to the edge and finish timming exactly to the edge with a belt sander. This is the best and most accurate way I know of.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM
SV27dayton

That's probably the fastest way. I taped it down and used push pins on all the corners and then poked the whole pattern about every 1/8 inch. Then cut it with a knife and sanded it in by hand. (I wasn't smart enough to ask first)[:@] I might still pin it and do the pattern that way but Id do it over sized and sand more. You can remove alot of material with sand paper fast when working with balsa. If you have parts that must be identical like the stringer in a cat clamp the together and sand them at the same time.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
CadillacDTS2001

there is something that works great.
mineral spirits.
spread it on the wood. lay the plans on the wood ink side down. more mineral spirits on the paper on the wood and spread with a sponge.
lift off and the black ink will be on the wood. let it dry and then cut.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Mineral spirits? Think I've heard that one before long ago, never tried it. May have to experiment a little myself! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
alloutcustom

I actually used the glue stick method, it worked very well. I am done cutting the wood out and almost done putting on the sides. I am building a 21" wildthing mono out of ply. Ill be using a ammo motor on 2s2p lipos. Should be a fairly cheap build but also a fun one, ill post pics later once i finish the bottom. I need to get some kind of filler for the spray rails, and i also need some triangle stock for the strakes.