Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

Nice vid. Much better sans music. You are able to tell what the boat is doing.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hey Lloyd, are you still running stock? How long does this boat run stock before something burns up? And what do you guys do if the boat flips on the other side of the river? That water is running pretty fast. Tokyopop got lucky when his flipped right next to him.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: nomobux

quote:

Sooo .. this is a direct fit replacement set-up ? Have a link on the batts for this one ? I like the easy way .. lol

Any 6c NIMH (7.2v) or 2s (20c and up) LIPO (7.4v) in the 2500-3500mah range will do nicely with that setup.

I have some 2S 5000 lipos .. any probs with that ??
It'll work fine, will be a tad heavy [sm=surprised.gif](a little slower, less responsive) but will run a looong time. It won't get faster as the fuel is used up like on a gas boat. A 2800ma lipo should run 25-30 minutes on a fresh charge if mated to a semi-efficient motor.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
damfurst

Hey Wheelnut, When I ran my first one stock I got about 3 runs out of it before I burned the motor out by overvoltaging it. Was the best thing I ever did to a boat, lol.

"And what do you guys do if the boat flips on the other side of the river? " Wave goodbye. No actually I'll usually run close to a bridge so that I can access the other side or catch the boat at the bridge. I have also made up a fishing net with a 10 foot exdenable handle to pull it out of the creek. Sometimes you have just as much thrill trying to chase after your boat as you do running it.

"
Old 11-20-2009, 11:26 AM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Hey Lloyd, are you still running stock? How long does this boat run stock before something burns up? And what do you guys do if the boat flips on the other side of the river? That water is running pretty fast. Tokyopop got lucky when his flipped right next to him.
I only ran mine just to see if they functioned. I'm not goin out there ... it's cold !!! I will work on at least one over the winter. If mine flips on the far side, I'll be calling YOU. After the spring run off, the creek along the yard will do. It will be up to 12' wide and a bit over 100' long that I will have good vision. Maybe 150'. Tokyopop was pushing his luck a bit on the down river side. It would almost be history before you could cross and get down there ... lol
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: sundogz

quote:

Sooo .. this is a direct fit replacement set-up ? Have a link on the batts for this one ? I like the easy way .. lol

Any 6c NIMH (7.2v) or 2s (20c and up) LIPO (7.4v) in the 2500-3500mah range will do nicely with that setup.

I have some 2S 5000 lipos .. any probs with that ??
It'll work fine, will be a tad heavy [sm=surprised.gif](a little slower, less responsive) but will run a looong time. It won't get faster as the fuel is used up like on a gas boat. A 2800ma lipo should run 25-30 minutes on a fresh charge if mated to a semi-efficient motor.
I kinda figured that. Hate to buy more lipos as they would only be specific to this and nothing else I have or would have.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
llDemonll

if you look at about 5:15 in the movie he comes pretty darn close to flipping haha

next time we go (once i get home) has has 2 pairs of hip waders for fishing that go up to the armpits that we are bringing lol
Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM
nomobux

I have a concrete beach pad on the low end of the yard. I'll run up creek from there. If something happens, I'll grab it on the way down .. lol
Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
llDemonll

that works better. the first time we went up near where etokyopop took that video and drove his other boat i went swimming in the snoqualmie river in my shorts and sandals because i flipped it haha
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
goldswim5

Alright got my LiPo today. I actually bought the wrong thing without realizing it, and only got one, but it'll work. Now I just need a charger...anu recommendations?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:20 PM
ryanwilson277

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSY1&P=7
Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I have a concrete beach pad on the low end of the yard. I'll run up creek from there. If something happens, I'll grab it on the way down .. lol
Someone has their thinking cap on[8D]

We have some small creeks around here that would be fun to run it. I will probably get one next spring, when I gots mo buxs.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 PM
zorin1st

Hallo,

im new to RCU, i got a NQDTI and built it up with brushless walkera, seaking35 and so on.
Speed and handling are great, but the stock motor coupler get destroyed, the plastic coupler isnt made for brushless..
I bought a graupner z coupler for 2,3mm for replacement but it is too long and didnt fit well in the jet drive.

On much Images on this Thread i saw a fixed metall connector and flex couplers, where can i get them in 2,3mm + 2,3mm?

I would prefer a Shop in Europe /Germany.

best regards, zorin1st
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: zorin1st

Hallo,

im new to RCU, i got a NQD TI and built it up with brushless walkera, seaking35 and so on.
Speed and handling are great, but the stock motor coupler get destroyed, the plastic coupler isnt made for brushless..
I bought a graupner z coupler for 2,3mm for replacement but it is too long and didnt fit well in the jet drive.

On much Images on this Thread i saw a fixed metall connector and flex couplers, where can i get them in 2,3mm + 2,3mm?

I would prefer a Shop in Europe / Germany.

best regards, zorin1st
Are you saying the stock motor coupler is made of plastic now?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 PM
damfurst

Hallo Zorin, Hier gibts eine von MHZ usa [link]http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details.aspx?ProductCode=g-3279&store=mhzusa[/link] Gibt es eine MHZ online via Deutschland?

Hopefully my german isn't too bad, but the one from MHZ is probably your best choice if you can obtain it over there. The graupner one probably could be ground or sanded down by putting it in a drill with a piece of 2mm rod to hold on to. Then either use a file or sandpaper to get it the right size. I had to use one for another project and had to do the same thing in order to fit. Also, if it is too long then make a spacer(s) on the motor side which may require longer screws. Hope this helps. Alles Guette!!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:01 AM
llDemonll

Are you saying the stock motor coupler is made of plastic now?
some of the boats came with a plastic u-joint, others (like mine) came with the solid metal coupler
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 AM
eTokyoPop

Mine came with the crap plastic u joint one, it blew apart pretty quick. I found that the proboat mini-v/c coupler fits, but is also weak and pulls the impeller a little forward. I took the coupler off a boat we ordered for a friend. solid coupler much better. As for everyone asking what my plan was if I flipped the boat on the other side of the river or down below.... Well, there was no plan. The excitement from running the boat made me forget about "what if". Down steam however it does get shallow and the road follows it for awhile, I'm sure I sure I could have caught up with it. I did have to step in to get it when it flipped at the end though... Guess I need to remember to wear my waders and run it upstream of me
Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 PM
nomobux

How would these do. I'm not real up on lipo batts. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9926 or these $4 more for just 200 more mah http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9367
Old 11-21-2009, 01:57 PM
llDemonll

watch etokyopop's video above and compare the batteries. he has a 3700kv 2040 size motor, the first 3 minutes are 2s batteries (7.4v) and the last 4-5 minutes are 3s batteries (11.1v). depending on the kv of your motor and if you want a fast boat, 2s may be fine, but you might want a bit smaller ones. i am running 1300mah 3s batteries now because the big ones we bought were too heavy for the river. lake driving they work fine, but they caused to nose to dip in the river too much
Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM
nomobux

ORIGINAL: llDemonll

watch etokyopop's video above and compare the batteries. he has a 3700kv 2040 size motor, the first 3 minutes are 2s batteries (7.4v) and the last 4-5 minutes are 3s batteries (11.1v). depending on the kv of your motor and if you want a fast boat, 2s may be fine, but you might want a bit smaller ones. i am running 1300mah 3s batteries now because the big ones we bought were too heavy for the river. lake driving they work fine, but they caused to nose to dip in the river too much
What kind of run time ( minutes ) on your 1300s. I'd rather be a bit slower ( batt wt ) with longer run time. I'm looking at the combo above that is the direct bolt in. thanx
I'm refering to TOAs post 412 for the combo
Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 PM
sundogz

How would these do. I'm not real up on lipo batts. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9926 or these $4 more for just 200 more mah http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9367
If you're thinking of going with that 2040 size 4800kv motor with the factory jacket then these batts are a good choice. I'd spend the extra $4 for theTurnigy's.

Demon, what motor is Etokyo using?.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:28 PM
llDemonll

i'm not sure of the brand, he purchased it at hobbytown usa not online so it was expensiveeeeee lol

@nomobux - the 1300mah 3s 20c that etokyopop has runs about 8-10 minutes at full throttle probably 75-80% of the time, so it's not terribly bad if you have a few. the 3000mah that i ran on the lake ran almost 30 minutes at full throttle maybe 50-60% of the time. big batteries do run a lot longer, but they also have the weight disadvantage. if you wont run quick rivers and such and will mainly be in lakes, slow/calm rivers then the bigger batteries will be fine
Old 11-21-2009, 02:46 PM
eTokyoPop

Using a E-flight Park 400 3700kv. I burnt up the 3200 Turnigy we bought due to inadequate cooling. Its quicker than the 3200 for sure. Unfortunately, It was sorta expensive compared to the hobbyking ones. But supporting local stores is never a bad thing.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:48 PM
nomobux

If you're thinking of going with that 2040 size 4800kv motor with the factory jacket then these batts are a good choice. I'd spend the extra $4 for theTurnigy's.

Yes, I'm thinking the combo in post 412. I would be running either on calm water or my creek along the yard which does not flow terribly fast after the spring run off. Do you think with that combo, Stick with the 2450s or 2600s OR drop down a bit for wt. I like run time, but don't want it too nose heavy either
Old 11-21-2009, 02:59 PM
llDemonll

if it's not a fast river then run whatever battery you want, heavier one wont make too much of a difference. sounds like more run time is important (dont blame you at all) so i'd run the bigger one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.