Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:56 AM
reefboarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the pink 28-47-18s 2100kv motor from hobby king, and the 30amp hobby king water-cooled esc. Ordered the cooling jacket some 1/8" od aluminum tubing for the water pick up in the stator, a cheap waterproof servo and a water cooling outlet. I think I'm gonna drill the outlet in the rear possibly at an angle for a rooster tail haven't decided yet.

I have a question about the sleeve mod. I read about it on my first run through the thread and can't remember all of it. People were just using the bushings out of the junk stock motor in the rubber grommet that seals the shaft in the front of the pump housing? And keep it greased and it cuts down on the losing prime problem? Or am I way off?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:12 AM
sundogz

I always put the water outlet in the back facing up (rooster tail) so I can easily see if the system is working/plugged. The sleeve mod is a big waste of time and caused more problems that it fixed. Just keep the shaft lubed with a good marine grease and you'll have no problems.

They recommend a 35A esc for that motor, I hope the 30A is sufficient. And remember to get a 3.17 to 2.3mm coupler. The longer the better (26mm would be good). Don't plan to make the mistake of drilling out the original (unless you have a lathe), it will vibrate badly and cause problems down the line and is not worth the efforts.

Last edited by sundogz; 06-02-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:52 AM
reefboarder

I ordered the coupler for the shaft size on the new motor I believe it was 3.18 to 2.3. the max amp on the motor is 25. Very close for sure. I'll run it in short spurts and check temps with my infrared thermometer, and go from there. If it requires a bigger esc I'll track down one of the ones you linked. I picked up some smaller jet units a while back with the intention of doing a dual unit build at some point.i have this crazy idea of using one of those small plastic pool boats that are sold at dollar stores for 5 bucks and see what happens. Two motors equals two esc correct? Maybe that 30a will work there with a smaller motor. Anyhow, I think it would be awesome to use a 5 $ plastic hull and turn it into a beastly stream ripper!
Also I'll ditch the sleeve idea, I had questions of how well it could work. I use dynamite marine grease in a tube with the little grease gun they sell with it, this should be sufficient for a grease correct? I've never seen it mentioned so was wondering if maybe it didn't work so well with this set up

Last edited by reefboarder; 06-02-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 AM
reefboarder

First pic is the stock nqd drive next to the smaller one I picked up, second is obviously the current state of my tear into. Quite a fitting name seeing how you have to tear into them to make them any good! Here's hoping for speedy delivery of all my goodies!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 PM
sundogz

Originally Posted by reefboarder
I ordered the coupler for the shaft size on the new motor I believe it was 3.18 to 2.3. the max amp on the motor is 25. Very close for sure. I'll run it in short spurts and check temps with my infrared thermometer, and go from there. If it requires a bigger esc I'll track down one of the ones you linked. I picked up some smaller jet units a while back with the intention of doing a dual unit build at some point.i have this crazy idea of using one of those small plastic pool boats that are sold at dollar stores for 5 bucks and see what happens. Two motors equals two esc correct? Maybe that 30a will work there with a smaller motor. Anyhow, I think it would be awesome to use a 5 $ plastic hull and turn it into a beastly stream ripper!
Also I'll ditch the sleeve idea, I had questions of how well it could work. I use dynamite marine grease in a tube with the little grease gun they sell with it, this should be sufficient for a grease correct? I've never seen it mentioned so was wondering if maybe it didn't work so well with this set up
I think the max amps is taken running with no load at full rpms. When you require work from it it will draw more, and if it gets in a bind, it will draw even more. That's why they recommend a 35A. On the dollar store boats, conversions are some of the most fun you can have IMO.

Your pics didn't come through. To download pics, go to advanced mode, scroll down and hit 'manage attachments' then hit the button 'add files' on the upper right of the page, then press 'select files'. I know, it's a lot of sh*t.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 PM
reefboarder

Apparently it just can't be done from a phone. I'll try again tomorrow, I'm at work now so I have no access to my computer.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:12 PM
reefboarder

Been a few days, thought I'd update. Never tried to post the pictures again. I'll get it together at some point and post it all up.
On a good note, goodies have arrived. The motor, coupler, esc, servo, radio, and a few other misc pieces are here! Tried to mount the water cooling sleeve to the motor, to no avail. It just won't go! Tried putting a little silicone lube on the o-rings and just couldn't get it done. So I ordered a different one, hopefully the new one fits.
I am currently in the brainstorming phase of painting the hull and the drivers, but can't seem to find the right paint in the colors I want��....
I did however find a sweet chromed plastic dual inlet air intake to mount to the top of the engine on the canopy, should make it look like a real engine if it all comes together...

Hopefully I can find paint soon so I can get rolling. Good thing I have an Impulse 31 to get me thru these trying times!��
Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM
sundogz

Sounds like a tight fit on that water jacket! Does it fit without the 'o' rings? You might just need thinner o-rings, I've had that happen before.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:47 PM
reefboarder

Pulled the o-rings( thanks for the suggestion) still no fit. There's a second ring inside for the slot where the o-rings seat that can be filed down and still have plenty of wall for the o-rings. If the new one doesn't fit I'll try that. But only if needed. There's probably 30 minutes of filing and it also looks like the inlet and outlet for the water need to be filed down. Is this typical or did I just happen across a poor sleeve?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:31 AM
sundogz

Wrong sleeve. There are now 28mm, 29mm 30mm motors and it gets more difficult to find the right fit. Hopefully, the next one will fit nicely. If not, maybe an O-ring change will fix it. Last resort is grinding it down, as it renders it unsellable to most people.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:29 PM
MrCanuck

hey guys new to this forum but not rc's, just got a nqd river jet boat on a trade and loved it for the ten minutes I used it before my dog got a hold of it.
Have a couple of questions regarding parts.
my prop got eaten by sand so need a new one of those.
also it gets smoking hot and goes into a thermal shutdown I believe. seen lots of articles on water cooling, do I need a new motor right now?
whats in it it a traxxas set up venoline(spelling) can I water cool this motor.

appreciate the help and look forward to chatting with you peeps
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM
sundogz

This is what you're looking for if you want to use your shaft (press fit) or this is a drop-in (so to speak). You can probably get better prices if you shop around. Sounds like you need a more powerful motor. Can you post pics?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:35 PM
MrCanuck

will try tomorrow after work, kids sports tonight, that's the part im looking for though. thanks sundogz

Last edited by MrCanuck; 06-14-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 PM
Propless rc

Wink

Good day,

I saw your post about the NQD and I got tempted to share. I have been building rc boats for more than seven years. I design and build all my boats to a world class standard. Prop boats never really interest me that much so I decided to develope a 40mm jet for a surf fishing bait boat I also designed and build a few years back. The boat was very successful, but after a few years of building it (Hercules bait boat) I sold the business. This boat was way too serious and complicated. These boats are easier to manufacture and much more fun.

A few moths back I started with a small jet boat similar to the NQD. Started producing them also from abs. I also designed a 20mm jet drive for it. I call it the "River Rat". It is 30mm longer and 15mm wider than the NQD. It runs on a two blade impeller and it's very powerful under low rpms. In this setup in the pics I used a 1900kv 700w outrunner, 60A esc and a 2200mAh 3 cell 40C lipo. NO WATERCOOLING. The motor got a bit warm, but I don't think it is something to worry about. No problems so far. Watercooling is cool, but I try to not use it for one reason... it's expensive. In SA hobby parts are very expensive and very hard to import. my idea is to only export clean hulls with the jets professionally installed.

This boat is for a customer and I gave it a custom job. The boat in the video and boat in the pic are the same one. Just tested it first before the spray job. There was a few scratches I had to fix, but nothing too serioius. At this stage I only sell in my country (South Africa), but would like to market them in other countries aswell. Just got the sticker today. I have a Facebook page aswell for these boats but not to sure if I'm allowed to post it. This is not the pilot's real head. the helmet is almost finished.
https://youtu.be/apdgAlCFymo

Please have a look.
Kind regards
Arthur
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	16473960_10211523985364794_2168558750967952368_n.jpg
Views:	1621
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2200361   Click image for larger version

Name:	16507821_10211523987124838_711966478711555561_n.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2200362   Click image for larger version

Name:	16508440_10211523987644851_672422356645012573_n.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2200363   Click image for larger version

Name:	16508565_10211523986244816_4229858882505261312_n.jpg
Views:	1332
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2200364   Click image for larger version

Name:	16174601_10211411356709148_1533055842308615164_n.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2200365  
Old 02-09-2017, 12:36 PM
Propless rc

Good day,

I saw your post about the NQD and I got tempted to share. I have been building rc boats for more than seven years. I design and build all my boats to a world class standard. Prop boats never really interest me that much so I decided to develope a 40mm jet for a surf fishing bait boat I also designed and build a few years back. The boat was very successful, but after a few years of building it (Hercules bait boat) I sold the business. This boat was way too serious and complicated. These boats are easier to manufacture and much more fun.

A few moths back I started with a small jet boat similar to the NQD. Started producing them also from abs. I also designed a 20mm jet drive for it. I call it the "River Rat". It is 30mm longer and 15mm wider than the NQD. It runs on a two blade impeller and it's very powerful under low rpms. In this setup in the pics I used a 1900kv 700w outrunner, 60A esc and a 2200mAh 3 cell 40C lipo. NO WATERCOOLING. The motor got a bit warm, but I don't think it is something to worry about. No problems so far. Watercooling is cool, but I try to not use it for one reason... it's expensive. In SA hobby parts are very expensive and very hard to import. my idea is to only export clean hulls with the jets professionally installed.

This boat is for a customer and I gave it a custom job. The boat in the video and boat in the pic are the same one. Just tested it first before the spray job. There was a few scratches I had to fix, but nothing too serioius. At this stage I only sell in my country (South Africa), but would like to market them in other countries aswell. Just got the sticker today. I have a Facebook page aswell for these boats but not to sure if I'm allowed to post it.

Please have a look.
Kind regards
Arthur

Last edited by Propless rc; 02-09-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Propless rc

Originally Posted by Crabstick
75 pages of jetdrive stuff, so i decided to start this for the guys modding the "nqd tear into" boats

My Setup :

Tear into boat
3500kv 400 size outrunner
3s 2200mah lipo
Hyperion Titan 30a esc
GWS micro 6ch receiver
Digital micro servo for steering.
Custom brass coupler
Modded jet pump : have sleeved the bearing surface where the shaft runs through the jet unit with 1/8 k&s brass tube, sharpened the stator fins.

First run stock was quite pathetic, stock electrics are junk.
2nd run with the above mods - quite quick until an un harmonious vibration arose. On further investigation it turned out to be the impellor sliding back on the shaft, so i drilled a 2.5mm hole and tapped a 3mm thread and put the 3mm set screw through onto a flat i filed on the shaft
3rd run - Just nuts, this wee thing does 45/50kmh now, excellent handling and acceleration.

All in all im well impressed.

Next mod will be to go to a lower KV motor and/or try the 3500kv Motor on 2s lipo.
Good day,

This boat is for a customer and I gave it a custom job. The boat in the video and boat in the pic are the same one. Just tested it first before the spray job. There was a few scratches I had to fix, but nothing too serioius. At this stage I only sell in my country (South Africa), but would like to market them in other countries aswell. Just got the sticker today. I have a Facebook page aswell for these boats but not to sure if I'm allowed to post it.

Please have a look.
Kind regards
Arthur
Old 02-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Hi Propless RC, good to have you on-board. Also glad to see this old thread opened again, and good work on your boat. I'm surprised you couldn't get water cooled esc for the same price that you paid for that one. Also it's not that hard to make your own water cooling.
I never got my NQD up and running. I was somewhere in the middle of the build and got too busy and didn't even have time for my favorite RC stuff which is planes so I sold it. :/

While we're on the subject, check out this new jet boat from Proboat. Looks really sweet and I bet it runs great. At least it looks like it does in the video but I think 23" is a little large for some tight spots you may run into while river boating. Notice their video is in a pretty large area. Sure looks sweet though!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/boats/el...--rtr-prb08025
Old 02-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Propless rc

Thanks for your reply.

I know about it. Very nice boat and jet system. It's pricy tough. I would like to sell my boats for around $75. This will be with the jet profesionally fitted and also stickers included. No electronics. It would be nice to get an agent to distrubute my stuff over there. If you know of such a person...

The nqd isn't really a rock crawler, it's a jet sprint as you would know. I designed this boat to be a rock crawler. The hull is a bit higher to withstand more water flowing over the boat and pushing it under.

Me and my family are planing to move to Canada in two or three years. Just waiting for her to finish her studies. Can't wait!

Glad to get to know you my friend, we will speak again.

Kind regards
Arthur
Old 02-10-2017, 09:21 AM
sundogz

Arthur, I hope you don't mind me posting your letter and video on another forum. We have been doing jet boat mods for quite some time and have a large following now. I am a long time member of RCU (and was introduced to jet boats here) but haven't posted here in a while. Hope to see you there!
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Yes, that Proboat is quite pricey. That's why I probably won't be buying one. I can barely keep up with the RC stuff I have :/

Cheers and look forward to hearing from you again.

What's up Sundogz?? Been a while....
Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
sundogz

Long time no type Wheelnut!, hope all is well with you. Yeah, interest had been slowing down on this site so I've relocated over onto RCG. Feel free to drop on by and chat. We are trying to get the admin to start a dedicated jet drive forum (we're in the 'fast electric' section now) and could use your vote! Begood, Sdg.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Jetboat Cam

Gidday,
First time posting on any kind of forum, all the way from New Zealand.
I am a boat builder by trade and have played around with the NQD boats as a hobby of mine. I invested in a 3D printer a while back and have converted the Jet unit in this little boat into a three stage (three impellers) which is very similar to what is actually run in sprint boats. This increases the outlet pressure of the unit and therefore increases the speed. Although I have found as have others, this has not meant that the unit can be spun at higher rpm. I don't have any photos at this stage as it is still in testing, but I do wonder if anyone has tried this idea before? I race in marathon boats here in New Zealand so boating is my passion, I believe I have plenty of knowledge to share and could learn a lot form being apart of this site
Thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 11:14 AM
Dongskie

Originally Posted by Jetboat Cam
Gidday,
First time posting on any kind of forum, all the way from New Zealand.
I am a boat builder by trade and have played around with the NQD boats as a hobby of mine. I invested in a 3D printer a while back and have converted the Jet unit in this little boat into a three stage (three impellers) which is very similar to what is actually run in sprint boats. This increases the outlet pressure of the unit and therefore increases the speed. Although I have found as have others, this has not meant that the unit can be spun at higher rpm. I don't have any photos at this stage as it is still in testing, but I do wonder if anyone has tried this idea before? I race in marathon boats here in New Zealand so boating is my passion, I believe I have plenty of knowledge to share and could learn a lot form being apart of this site
Thanks
No one here has done it yet I suppose, you'll be the first one and WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE your project
Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Ferretdaman

Originally Posted by BIG22BIRD
changed the driver the other night to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7918.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2232605

Name:	IMG_7920.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2232606
Where did you get this cool hatch? Is it 3d printed?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Ferretdaman

[QUOTE=BIG22BIRD;10496081]changed the driver the other night to.

Name:	IMG_7918.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	2233716

cool hatch. Was this 3d printed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.