Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
seehuusen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

YES! new Waterproof 120a ESC and short course truck arrived today
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Scubaru Steve

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Do you have it sealed somehow? When the top of the hull is cut and the hatch is only held on by two loose clips, it's hard to believe it wouldn't take on much water upside down. It would even be worse in a stream with small rapids.
i don't have it sealed, just the body clips, in a stream it would have been bad being tossed around, but if its upside down how will the water get in? its the same idea as flipping a canoe over. the air trapped prevents it sinking, now if i had a crack or a hole in the hull for the air to escape it would have sank.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 AM
seehuusen

ran the jetboat today, the new ESC has way more punch
I've re-arranged everything in the boat again, pretty much a half build new waterproofing for the servo and receiver, as well as a new pod for the ESC... I've also moved the battery further back, and I now think I need a cavitation plate, as I'm having slight issues keeping prime...

I've taken photos of the new setup, will post when I get a chance

cheers
Martin
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

How do ya'll split the top half from the bottom half? please post pics or whatever it takes to explain it, thanks.
Regards josh
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: Joshsubmec

How do ya'll split the top half from the bottom half? please post pics or whatever it takes to explain it, thanks.
Regards josh
Check out the pics on the first page
Old 07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
seehuusen

Regards josh
Hey mate,
It might be a misconception that we split the upper and lower hull apart... Normally people just cut a hole in the hull, under the hatch/ "two drivers"... It might be possible to separate the two, but I've not seen anyone do it, they appear to be the only place where the factory actually applied glue that worked HAHAHA

Attached is the new setup of my boat, I've moved it all further back to give the boat a better approach angle in the creeks... Those of you who don't drive 4WD, approach angle on the boat would be how low the nose sits in the water compared to the rear of the boat. I'm hoping by lifting the nose a bit higher and lowering the rear, I can angle the nose higher in the air and thus make it up steaper water currents (I hope that made sense LOL)

I have found that I will now need to add the stabilizing metal flap on the jet drive as the boat is bouncing around a bit too much on higher revs, and so, it looses it's prime...

Pick attached of the new setup

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52225.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1784885  
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM
aum-offshore

Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM
spektrumFlux

ORIGINAL: hqdby1

Yeah you'll need a motor, servo, bat and esc to run an upgraded jet boat.

These work well and are very long lasting with good speed also:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12613
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11875
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7377
Then just any old car/boat servo really.
hi, I'm a newbie into RC boat and just ordered the Jet boat too. :-)

beside getting the above ESC, Motor and Lipo battery, do I need any other stuffs during the modification process.
I suppose we can still use the stock servo, Tx and Rx right?
btw, does the Jet boat capsize easily?

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Scubaru Steve

ORIGINAL: spektrumFlux

beside getting the above ESC, Motor and Lipo battery, do I need any other stuffs during the modification process.

Thanks.

servo, tx & rx need to be replaced. boat is very steady, ive only flipped once. crashed into a rock boat flew through the air and landed upside down.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM
spektrumFlux

ORIGINAL: Scubaru Steve

Thanks.

servo, tx & rx need to be replaced. boat is very steady, ive only flipped once. crashed into a rock boat flew through the air and landed upside down.
u mean stock servo, Tx and Rx could not be used at all with the modified setup?
how do you seal up the compartment for better water resistant?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

Hey spektrumflux.
I believe you could incorperate that stock servo with a little bit of wiring..problem is, no one uses that type of servo anymore with the good stuff(Spektrum, Futaba, JR, etc.) They all use the standard 3 wire servo wires as you probably have seen. The only way i could see the 5 wire servo setup they have in there working is with an old setup that no one seems to makes anymore..i had this setup in a somewhat old plane bout 7 years ago. So that servo is pretty much out of the picture. Sorry
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 AM
spektrumFlux

Hey spektrumflux.
I believe you could incorperate that stock servo with a little bit of wiring..problem is, no one uses that type of servo anymore with the good stuff(Spektrum, Futaba, JR, etc.) They all use the standard 3 wire servo wires as you probably have seen. The only way i could see the 5 wire servo setup they have in there working is with an old setup that no one seems to makes anymore..i had this setup in a somewhat old plane bout 7 years ago. So that servo is pretty much out of the picture. Sorry
thanks for the advise. :-)
I suppose it's a complete system overhual to turn it into a beast... :-)

will probably get the following items...any comment on the compatibility?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...erCooled_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_11sec.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...io_System.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

need coupling to fit motor shaft to propeller?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 AM
sundogz

You should use a 2S lipo with that motor, and don't forget a balance charger. Also, with that motor you can use the stock coupler. The reason people change servos is the stock one isn't proportional. Turn it right, it goes full right, turn left, it goes full left. There's no in-between.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 AM
spektrumFlux

ORIGINAL: sundogz

You should use a 2S lipo with that motor, and don't forget a balance charger. Also, with that motor you can use the stock coupler. The reason people change servos is the stock one isn't proportional. Turn it right, it goes full right, turn left, it goes full left. There's no in-between.
noted, thanks. :-)
is those Mini servo (torque : 2.6 kg/cm) like Hitec HS-81 adequate for usage?
so using a 3S Lipo will burn the Motor?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:17 AM
spektrumFlux

need folks advise as still newbie.

what's the relationship between ESC, Motor and Lipo selection?
- higher 60A ESC better than 35A ESC?
- Motor kv selection dependent on ESC A?
- Lipo selection, i.e 2S or 3S depend on Motor used?

Thanks 
Old 07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
sundogz

- Motor kv selection dependent on ESC A?

Thanks
Yes if you want to stick with the 3S lipo, go with a motor around 3000kv. Actually, the 4800kv is too much and will top off before you reach full throttle. 4500kv should be tops with a 2S unless you go with a larger (24 or 28mm can) motor. A mini servo might not hold up for long. There's plenty of room inside, so go with a standard servo. A good 35A esc will do fine, but a 60A esc will give you some headroom. A cheapy will probably fail you no matter what brand. Buy the highest "C'" rating lipo you can afford - you will be able to notice the extra power and it will last you much longer without 'puffing'.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Wheelnut

Hey guys,
I had a promotional email from Tower for $20 off a $50 purchase. So I ordered two of the traxxas 2080 water proof servos. I will use one of them on my NQD and the other on my Mini Summit However, I can't believe that they came with out servo horns[:@] I mean really??? What the heck??[:'(] That is the first time I have ever received a servo with out servo horns. Come on Traxxas, you SUCK!!! JR and Hitec always come with servo arms. Lesson learned. So now I have to order servo horns
Old 07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
spektrumFlux

ORIGINAL: sundogz

- Motor kv selectiondependent on ESC A?
Thanks
Yes if you want to stick with the 3S lipo, go with a motor around 3000kv. Actually, the 4800kv is too much and will top off before you reach full throttle. 4500kv should be tops with a 2S unless you go with a larger (24 or 28mm can) motor. A mini servo might not hold up for long. There's plenty of room inside, so go with a standard servo. A good 35A esc will do fine, but a 60A esc will give you some headroom. A cheapy will probably fail you no matter what brand. Buy the highest "C'" rating lipo you can afford - you will be able to notice the extra power and it will last you much longer without 'puffing'.
- so ESC A is not dependant on Motor kv selection?
- what's the benefit of using a 60A vs 35A ESC if using the same Motor?
- so Lipo 2S or 3S usageis dependant on Motor kv, 2S when using higher kv (4000) and 3S when using lower kv (~3000) Motor?
- is it a must a get a water cooled Motor?

oh...I thought the compartment will be too squeezy to fit a standard servo.

understand that the 4800kv Motor shaft fit nicely into the stock coupling, if getting the lower kv motor might need to source for a new coupling.
any advise on where to get those stuff?

Thanks. :-)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 AM
seehuusen

- so ESC A is not dependant on Motor kv selection?
- what's the benefit of using a 60A vs 35A ESC if using the same Motor?
- so Lipo 2S or 3S usageis dependant on Motor kv, 2S when using higher kv (4000) and 3S when using lower kv (~3000) Motor?
- is it a must a get a water cooled Motor?

oh...I thought the compartment will be too squeezy to fit a standard servo.

understand that the 4800kv Motor shaft fit nicely into the stock coupling, if getting the lower kv motor might need to source for a new coupling.
any advise on where to get those stuff?

Thanks. :-)
Hey mate

ESC amp rating is dependent on what motor you use. Most motors come with recommendations, but as a general rule for the motors we use, a 60amp water cooled ESC will do nicely (smaller can be used on the 2S setup)

The benefit of using the correct rated, or over rated ESC is that you will run less of a chance of burning it out. I personally run a 120amp good quality ESC in my boat (28mm motor on 3S). Over the recommended amperage, I can't say whether or not it is better, but I can say that in any case, it's better than my cheap 60amp ESC... Whatever the reason is, it's a better quality ESC, and it never runs hot!

So, to explain this whole Kv rating VS lipo rating... the KV rating is, 1000rpm x 1V e.g, you run a 3S setup on a 1000KV motor, you'll be running the shaft on the motor at 11.1 x 1000K = 11.100rpm. With this in mind, what we try to do, is aim for an optimal rpm level on the prop. We calculate approximately 20% loss, due to friction etc. If we aim for a 28.000 rpm rang, we'd need to get a:

28.000/11.1 = 2522KV @ 100% optimal so 2522 x 1.2 = 3027KV on a 3S setup
28.000/7.6 = 3684KV @ 100% optimal so 3684 x 1.2 = 4421KV on a 2S setup (the 1.2 is how to calculate an extra 20% for those wondering )

Regarding water cooling, I've heard of people who has run without it, but I would highly recommend it, these things pack a punch mate!!

Last thing, coupler, so the prop shaft is 2.3, if the motor you bought/ buy has a 2.3mm shaft, you won't have to do anything if it's larger, you can either drill it out or buy one on ebay. I got one that was made of brass, it was for a submarine!!

Lastly, you might still wonder, what's the go between 2S and 3S, imagine this, V8 vs 4 cylinder = 3S vs 2S basically, the 3S system can overcome a pressure barrier in the jet drive better, giving it more punch and better top speed

Good luck mate
Martin

Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 AM
seehuusen

by the way, I run an 11.5KG servo in mine, with metal gears and all, it's nice and torque

PS. no servo, water proof or not, is actually waterproof. Do yourself a favour and wrap a baloon around it
Old 07-27-2012, 04:40 AM
sundogz

I'm not sure how, but receivers and servos that are enclosed in balloons will sure as rain acquire some moisture. This has been told time and again. The best way to waterproof servos and receivers is Conformal Coating or spray Liquid Electrical Tape. I use the latter and have had no problems. I also am a fan of higher voltage/lower amperage running and use 3S batteries in this boat. I'm currently running a 3000kv outrunner with no water cooling. Quite fast and no appreciable heat buildup after long runs.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 AM
Wheelnut

Using balloons to water proof receivers in rc boats is very common and works great. they even sell "Receiver Balloons" at offshoreelectrics.com. You should even use some silicone on the opening where the wires comes out.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 AM
sundogz

That is bound to be how the moisture gets in - around the wires. Yes, sealing the opening with non-acetic silicone would do it. But spraying on conformal coating is much easier and just as effective, IMO. I has the added benefit of not trapping heat like a balloon enclosed speed control would.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:49 AM
spektrumFlux

great thanks to all folks for your patience and the detail explanation, really appreciate. :-)
got to spend time to digest all these information. :-)

should be getting the following, I suppose they work well.
- Turnigy Marine 60A ESC
- 2040SL 4800kv Motor (2.3 mm shaft diameter fit into stock coupling, so no need to source for another coupling. right?)
- 2S 2200 mah 40~80C Lipo 

Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Ratrunner

that's the exact same motor i have in mine.

on 2S, it will work well, but beyond about 75% throttle, it will just make more noise.

i have the 35A Turnigy marine ESC in mine, and that's been faultless.
im running on 2S 2200 nanotech battery with great results.

Jason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.