Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:26 AM
Preacher7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

thks Sundogz I understand now. I would show pics of ramp but it seemsthe pics have to be on a website somewhere so I can link to them.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
sundogz

No, it's easier than that. When you click 'reply' it goes to where you enter text. and just below that, you'll see "click here to upload images and files". Take it from there.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Preacher7

we will give it a try. Thanks for the help.
the first pic shows the ramp in place but slid away from the end some. The second pic shows the ramp in it's proper plade. The third pic shows the gap inside the unit. If I slide the ramp back all of the way there will not be a gap but then must trim the lip of the ramp back to it's proper position or it will not fit into the hull.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35813.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	1794051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55259.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1794052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73264.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1794053  
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
sundogz

I think what causes this is the intake ramp gets deformed (squeezed) by the screws into a narrower 'U' and the impeller hits the sides. You can trim the offending area down, or make a shim out of a credit card and insert it so that it prevents the ramp from going all the way back, thus preventing it from hitting. Or you can overfill the cavity in the end of the ramp with JB Weld so it provides the needed clearance when installed. That is as far as I would pursue 'perfection' because you can get caught up in trying to get everything trimmed, sanded and smooth but the results will be very similar and not worth the added effort, IMO. If I were racing these, I would use a dowel and vise to reform the 'U' shape wider, fill the cavity with epoxy to keep it that way, and trim the sides to fit. Then I'd sand the blunt leading edge of the ramp to a sharp wedge and remove all mold marks from the intake chute. Or better yet, install a Graupner mini jet as the quality is much better. You can see how it's easy to get caught up in all this.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM
seehuusen

I never realized, Graupner appear to be the people that actually created this boat... I always assumed it was NQD, and that we were buying copies of that... You learn something everyday I guess

Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 AM
dreadrock

Haha, that's a funny link there, i remember finding this myself sometime. I have to say it bugs when trying to source something and old listings of products not still available are still listed...The thing i find so funny is... the picture of the Stars an Stripes boat launching to the moon is a totaly differant boat, i can't remember exactly but it's a MHZ pump and a 260 Zenoah, pretty sure it's the Jetsprint hull from MHZ also, there's a write up on it somewhere on the net.....yeah i know thta's like saying it's on earth!!!
I have the Graupner minijet in 1 of my NQD's, it goes well and the fit up isn't to much differant..main differances are the mounting holes/mounting flange for the motor, shaft size (but it comes with a coupler,3.2mm i think( fitted the HK motor, 3900kv shaft)) the engine mounting flange to this motor was painfull but doable.There isn't the mounting points for the unit to the hull (4 screws) so you have to just stick it in there, the four screws through the transom are just out of alignment also.
All in all a good unit, i used it as a cheapish replacement.
Cheers

Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
seehuusen

is there a noticeable increase in speed/power when swapping to it?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 AM
dreadrock

Mabey, I'm not sure it goes fairly hard as such, but my other NQD is on 2s so no real comparison. Ultimately NQD's pump is copy of the graupner mini jet so basically it's the same as far as size/performance etc etc.....The main differances are it's a better quality pump (like shaft mod etc all done from the factory) tighter manufacturing tolerances and a reversing bucket. with spares redily available.
I got mine from here took about 1wk to land on the doorstep...........http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...pner_2349.html
Cheers
Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 AM
seehuusen

They ARE pretty much the go to shop for those drives
thanx for pointing out the difference
Old 08-23-2012, 06:51 PM
damfurst

I have the Graupner one in my Nqd as well. It's pretty much as deadrock said not much difference in performance. The Graupner does have a weaker motor mount, but is easier to do the bearing mod to.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 AM
dreadrock

Oh yeah, for what it's worth i only got it as there weren't any Tear into's available at the time and i was getting impatient......i personaly like the way the nqd pump has the 4 bolting points to the hull
I noticed that Cornwall are out of stock, these guys are good to deal with also..................http://hpmrcboats.coffeecup.com/view...?productid=113
cheers

Old 08-25-2012, 07:04 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: damfurst

I have the Graupner one in my Nqd as well. It's pretty much as deadrock said not much difference in performance. The Graupner does have a weaker motor mount, but is easier to do the bearing mod to.
Glad to see that you're 'lurking about' there Wes. Any new projects?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 PM
pouleman

ORIGINAL: cmsrp

ORIGINAL: pouleman

Now you say that mount will bolt right up correct. I only ask because it says it has a 19 mm bolt pattern.

as for a coupler did you just drill yours out or did you make or buy one i found this place which seems like they have some that will work. about midway down the page they are 7mm wide in overall diameter which should fit as the housing i believe is around 10mm, i would have to buy two different ones and put them together for the right one. also is the 3.20mm coupler the one needed for a 3.17 to work or do i need to find a 3.17mm coupler?

thanks for your help and sorry about the 20 questions just really want to buy some stuff to throw in these little boats and go
The cooling mount fits the motor I suggested without modification. I drilled one end of the coupler to 3.17mm because I was too impatient to source a different one. Works great though.
Hey cmsrp just was working on my boat i ordered the motor and cooling mount you suggested drilled my coupler got the pump all together most the of way, but just wondering if you had any problem with the length of the coupler and/or how you got the coupler connected to both the motor and the impeller while still giving enough length to get the impeller into the end bushing.

thanks for any help really want to get at least one of these running this week end i will see what i can do to get pics to help describe this

Joe

Old 08-25-2012, 04:46 PM
damfurst

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Glad to see that you're 'lurking about' there Wes. Any new projects?
Looking at doing another twin jet boat. Thinking about an Impulse 26 hull for that one. Kind of been out of touch for a while looking to get back into hobby again.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
sundogz

Looking at doing another twin jet boat. Thinking about an Impulse 26 hull for that one. Kind of been out of touch for a while looking to get back into hobby again.
Glad to hear it. The Impulse would be a good candidate for a twin setup. I've been thinking of putting a couple Duck drives in the sponsons of a small non-stepped cat hull, but haven't found the right hull yet.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Glad to hear it. The Impulse would be a good candidate for a twin setup. I've been thinking of putting a couple Duck drives in the sponsons of a small non-stepped cat hull, but haven't found the right hull yet.
Have you looked at the Gecko?
http://www.mhzusa.com/Gecko-Evo-m-1742.htm
I had one but I can't find the video right now

Name:	Nl30410.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	1796153  
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM
damfurst

Yes I have a Gecko with a brushless set up in it. Love that boat
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
willhappy

hi all
just found this link, from rc groups. Just looking for a set up that has power and duration. Motor and speed control and battries.

will
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
swervyn

118 pages of useful info here Will, happy reading!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
seehuusen

ORIGINAL: willhappy

hi all
just found this link, from rc groups. Just looking for a set up that has power and duration. Motor and speed control and battries.

will
my setup is on page 102

There's a lot of information in this thread, and it is ALL here
You can search the thread and you can also go into the thread gallary, where you can look through all images submitted
Click on an image an it'll take you to the page of the thread, and you can read on about what ever grabbed your attention

hope this helps, these boats are heaps of fun
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: seehuusen

ORIGINAL: willhappy

hi all

will
my setup is on page 102

There's a lot of information in this thread, and it is ALL here
You can search the thread and you can also go into the thread gallary, where you can look through all images submitted
Click on an image an it'll take you to the page of the thread, and you can read on about what ever grabbed your attention

hope this helps, these boats are heaps of fun
Really? when I click on a picture, it just enlarges the picture.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:02 PM
seehuusen

you're right, it displays a link below the image....
Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Wheelnut

Are you talking about the "Click for full size" link?
that's the only link I see.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM
seehuusen

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut
Are you talking about the "Click for full size" link?
that's the only link I see.
I'm not sure if you're joking or not... Here it is...

Name:	Pn36166.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	1796849  
Old 09-02-2012, 05:44 AM
spektrumFlux

finish my modification and first test ... but the Turnigy 60A ESC is not sucking water ??
I suppose water in from C, out from A to Motor...

wondering what mechanism inside the ESC aid to suck the water??

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.