Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 AM
sundogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

You're quite welcome. Heres a short vid of one with a 3000kv outrunner on 3S. Also has a ride plate to keep it from porpoising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxgDyYovldE
Old 07-16-2011, 06:35 AM
TheOtherSide

Been going through this thread slowly... Still have lots more to read. Have a couple of questions:

Thinking of this for motor/esc combo
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7377]ESC[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8595]MOTOR[/link]

I like that they're both water cooled.

I understand that with the ESC you need a programmer card.... but I can't find one.... any advise or links there?

2cell or 3 cell with this set-up? I want to boogie pretty good and so some wave jumping as the lake stirs up throughout the day.

Thx in advance!
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 AM
CBRobbins

ORIGINAL: TheOtherSide

Been going through this thread slowly... Still have lots more to read. Have a couple of questions:

Thinking of this for motor/esc combo
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7377]ESC[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8595]MOTOR[/link]

I like that they're both water cooled.

I understand that with the ESC you need a programmer card.... but I can't find one.... any advise or links there?

2cell or 3 cell with this set-up? I want to boogie pretty good and so some wave jumping as the lake stirs up throughout the day.

Thx in advance!
That is what I have in my boat. You won't need the programming card, the ESC can be set up without it and that motor won't last long on 3 cell. 2 cell will push it as fast as it's gonna go.

Post #2119 is what it will run like with that setup on 2 cells.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10589190
Plus it will still be slow and controllable if you want it to in shallow water...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKF2SpAo28w
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
TheOtherSide

CBRobbins.... thx for the info... that's some good stuff to go on. I have tons of 2cell lipos... so that will work great. I'll search out your build so I can see what someone else has done to theirs.

Also... I have the full size Traxxas waterproof servo kicking around... you guys recommending mini's or full sizers?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM
CBRobbins

I have a full size servo in mine, just cause I had it laying around. I also race on-road so I have a bunch of hard cased ROAR approved 2s lipos, they will fit and the runtime is crazy! I got probably 20-25 minutes of running this morning on a 5300 40c 2s! The little motors are fairly efficient.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
TheOtherSide

ORIGINAL: CBRobbins

I have a full size servo in mine, just cause I had it laying around. I also race on-road so I have a bunch of hard cased ROAR approved 2s lipos, they will fit and the runtime is crazy! I got probably 20-25 minutes of running this morning on a 5300 40c 2s! The little motors are fairly efficient.
Good to know. Where do you mount your 2s lipos? I saw your saddle packs. Which do you prefer and why? How do you run the saddles... series would double voltage... so I'm assuming they're parallel.

I have to look into all the mods to make to the stock jet drive as I want this build to go off well so when I'm on vacation for a week, I won't be down and out without parts after day 1.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:58 PM
TheOtherSide

I've read most of this thread... still have some pages left, but wondering where you get the cool aluminum skid plate or jet protector that hangs out the back under the outlet?

Thx in advance!

Ordered my motor and esc tonight... project is on!!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 AM
TheOtherSide

Another question.... what mah rating are most of you 3cell guys using? I want to find that balance between run time and weight.

Thx
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 AM
sundogz

You probably won't need a ride plate with that motor. It serves more as a trim tab to keep an overpowered boat on the water than to protect the jet drive, and they have to be fabricated. Or buy the kit from AUM-Offshore (previous page), I believe they supply one in it. I run a 2200mah 30C 3S and it is not too heavy but gives long (20 minutes+) run times.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 AM
TheOtherSide

ORIGINAL: sundogz

You probably won't need a ride plate with that motor. It serves more as a trim tab to keep an overpowered boat on the water than to protect the jet drive, and they have to be fabricated. Or buy the kit from AUM-Offshore (previous page), I believe they supply one in it. I run a 2200mah 30C 3S and it is not too heavy but gives long (20 minutes+) run times.
Cool Thanks! Where does Aum-Offshore sell stuff from? A site or do you have to message him? I messaged him some time back with no response.

This is the stuff I ordered...
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-sl-10t-2848-blue.html]Motor[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-seaking-60a.html]ESC[/link]

Now I'm looking for a Graupner ujoint online. I believe the stock shaft is either 2.17mm or 2.3mm. I have to pull it all apart and measure for sure. The motor I ordered is 3.17mm.

Also ordering 2200mah 3s 40c batteries... already have the Spektrum MR200 receiver... and the Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo. Anyone stripped a plastic geared servo on these boats? I can't see it... but you never know.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:38 PM
TheOtherSide

Me again....

Well, we bought 2 boats at Christmas... (yellow and white) for the kids... and the yellow one works great... the white one was DOA the other day when we finally got to use it. So my oldest son is now waiting on his new one... cuz I just bought 4 more of these boats!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM
ISIRC10

Anyone stripped a plastic geared servo on these boats? I can't see it... but you never know.
Well, since you decided to go there.... In fact yes I have, but it was when my old coupler exploded and the boat (my custon jet boat) drifted downstream and went down a 4ft dam... Surprisingly that was the only thing that broke on the boat and I safely retrieved it down-river. But yeah, I still use plastic geared servos. Thought you might be interested

Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM
sundogz

Cool Thanks! Where does Aum-Offshore sell stuff from? A site or do you have to message him? I messaged him some time back with no response.

Now I'm looking for a Graupner ujoint online. I believe the stock shaft is either 2.17mm or 2.3mm. I have to pull it all apart and measure for sure. The motor I ordered is 3.17mm.

Also ordering 2200mah 3s 40c batteries... already have the Spektrum MR200 receiver... and the Traxxas 2075 waterproof servo. Anyone stripped a plastic geared servo on these boats? I can't see it... but you never know.
On Aum-Offshore, I don't know of anybody that has actually received that kit. The stock impeller shaft is 2.3mm. I run that motor in my ABC Jetski's on 2S and it is more than ample. 3S is overkill and you'll just be making more noise. You'll need an [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-28mm-Brushless-Motor-Plate-AX10-Scorpion-16-/200400425056?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea8cbd060]adapter plate[/link] to fit the motor, and a 2.3mm to 3.17mm coupler (custom made, unless you're luckier than I at locating one). A U-joint won't fit - it's too long, unless you plan another means to attach the motor. I've had a mini servo fail in this boat, but never had a std. servo fail, and there's plenty of room. These newer versions have both the steering 'servo' and the 'speed control/receiver assy.' mounted to plates that are glued to the hull and so are easy to remove leaving the plates to attach the new parts to. You no longer have to chance distorting the hull when prying the stock stuff loose.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
TheOtherSide

On Aum-Offshore, I don't know of anybody that has actually received that kit. The stock impeller shaft is 2.3mm. I run that motor in my ABC Jetski's on 2S and it is more than ample. 3S is overkill and you'll just be making more noise. You'll need an [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-28mm-Brushless-Motor-Plate-AX10-Scorpion-16-/200400425056?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ea8cbd060]adapter plate[/link] to fit the motor, and a 2.3mm to 3.17mm coupler (custom made, unless you're luckier than I at locating one). A U-joint won't fit - it's too long, unless you plan another means to attach the motor. I've had a mini servo fail in this boat, but never had a std. servo fail, and there's plenty of room. These newer versions have both the steering 'servo' and the 'speed control/receiver assy.' mounted to plates that are glued to the hull and so are easy to remove leaving the plates to attach the new parts to. You no longer have to chance distorting the hull when prying the stock stuff loose.
Thx for the info...

When you say the ujoint won't fit... what part is too long for it?

Thx on the adaptor plate... I'll order one up!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
sundogz

My mistake, it seems I jumped the gun here. I just measured and the adapter plate won't fit either.[] You'll have to make a motor mount to fit this motor to this jet. On the stock arrangement you only have 25mm x 9mm to fit a coupler, and the motor mount holes are 16mm apart. [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11179]This outrunner[/link] will fit and give similar power on 3S - I'm running it in mine.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM
TheOtherSide

My mistake, it seems I jumped the gun here. I just measured and the adapter plate won't fit either.[] You'll have to make a motor mount to fit this motor to this jet. On the stock arrangement you only have 25mm x 9mm to fit a coupler, and the motor mount holes are 16mm apart. [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11179]This outrunner[/link] will fit and give similar power on 3S - I'm running it in mine.
Dang... I ordered 2 of those adaptors!! haha...

I'm not following (due to my noob situation)... what wont fit? The mounting holes won't like up? As for motors... I like the ones with the built in cooling system... they're sweet! Help me understand what wont work so I can do some planning. Thx
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
sundogz

I'm sorry for the mixup - I was confusing the ABC drive and the NQD drives. Looking at the motor (that you ordered) and without taking it out of this jetski to measure, it looks like it might bolt right on to the NQD jet that I'm holding next to it. If anything, you might have to redrill the holes in the drive is all. A U-joint would be too long unless you can find on that is smaller that the 25mm x 9mm space for it.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM
TheOtherSide

I'm sorry for the mixup - I was confusing the ABC drive and the NQD drives. Looking at the motor (that you ordered) and without taking it out of this jetski to measure, it looks like it might bolt right on to the NQD jet that I'm holding next to it. If anything, you might have to redrill the holes in the drive is all. A U-joint would be too long unless you can find on that is smaller that the 25mm x 9mm space for it.
I got the Graupner 355.4 u-joint (2 actually... i never buy singles), 26mm long, 7mm diameter. A few of the local guys are using them... so hopefully it all fits.

How are you measuring the spread between the mounting holes, I can't find that spec.

Cut open my NQD just now... emptied out the electronics... did a water test, no leaks!!! Will give the inside of the seam a little go-over with some thicker CA glue. Pulling the jet drive and stock motor out now.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
sundogz

I got the Graupner 355.4 u-joint (2 actually... i never buy singles), 26mm long, 7mm diameter. A few of the local guys are using them... so hopefully it all fits.

How are you measuring the spread between the mounting holes, I can't find that spec.

Cut open my NQD just now... emptied out the electronics... did a water test, no leaks!!! Will give the inside of the seam a little go-over with some thicker CA glue. Pulling the jet drive and stock motor out now.
I'm using a ruler held up to the NQD jet drive. 26mm looks to be a bit too long and might hit the 'o' ring seal. But if they are using them, then it should be fine. There's no reason to pull the jet drive out of the hull if it's not leaking.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:04 PM
TheOtherSide

Got the jet drive out... measured and I have 27mm of space to run the u-joint. Mind you their 26mm may not be too accurate... and you have to have a little bit of room for play.

So far so good on the teardown!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM
TheOtherSide

I took the jet drive out so I can take it apart in my hands... and understand things better... and I also want to give the bare hull to my painter at work to have some fun with!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 AM
sundogz

I feel bad about your buying those adapters on my misinformation, and I'm sure I can use them at some time in the future, so would like to reimburse you for them. I'll PM you.

Update: I PM'd you and it said 'PM sent" afterwards, but it doesn't show up in my 'sent' box. If you didn't get the message, please let me know! Sdg
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 AM
TheOtherSide

I feel bad about your buying those adapters on my misinformation, and I'm sure I can use them at some time in the future, so would like to reimburse you for them. I'll PM you.

Update: I PM'd you and it said 'PM sent'' afterwards, but it doesn't show up in my 'sent' box. If you didn't get the message, please let me know! Sdg
PM replied.

People... sundogz is the kind of guy we all need to take some lessons from. I totally appreciate him offering to buy the adapters off me... but it's all cool. It's only $15... and maybe I'll hang them on the wall if they're shiny enough!! haha.

Thx again for the offer sundogz!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:56 PM
ISIRC10

Agreed - sundogz is a tremendous help in this forum, and his generosity is what keeps people coming back when they need help.

BTW, those graupner joints don't last. I busted through 2 sets (see previous post for outcome) before making my own solid coupler.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:25 PM
DashRiprock

Sundogz is a heck of a guy, i must say. he has been a great help to me and is patient with  all my newb questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.