Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 AM
s2k matt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

Thanks for the positive comments, im really happy with how it came out. I have done a few things in red bull now as I love the colors and how they look. My last one was a dirtbike helmet and I had left over paint and stickers.

I got my paint from lowes, they are spray can colors, not sure what brand. I sprayed the silver first, then a layer of clear because silver smears when working with it, then taped off the two sections and sprayed the blue, then taped off the nose and painted the yellow and then cleared the entire thing.I did 2 coats of silver, 2 coats of blue, 3-4 of yellow as i was trying to cover a dark color, and then 3-4 of the clear. On my helmet I put the stickers on and sprayed the clear over them, but it didnt lay well on the stickers, it looks like water on a waxed car, so for this boat Iput the stickers on last. They are plastic stickers and shoudl be ok with the water, but we will see how they hold up...

Ihad so much fun building and running this boat that Iactually just ordered another one haha. I had to get a yellow one since I cant find any more white ones so I will be painting the bottom of the hull too. I am thinking something with florescent colors... any ideas??
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM
seehuusen

Hey guys,
I've been waiting patiently for my items to arrive from all over the world and now I'm only waiting on the motor... which should arrive any day!!
So I've started the build, I just made the water intake on the jet drive, could someone comment if the pipe is protruding enough?
From what I've seen it should be fine, but this is my first boat, so I'd like to make sure I made it out of copper pipe from the hobby shop and glued it in place using hot glue, then masked the ugly hot glue with the black marker pen That'd be strong enough hey?
I received my ESC, which meant I could try out my new Rx/Tx (FS GT3-B) and the servo, all was working fine. That radio doesn't look bad at all, especially for that money!! Do people trim/ adjust the power and servo throw for these boats?
I was also sent my dodgy Chinese ESC. It's water cooled, and was half the price of a name ESC and I hope it'll do the trick, if not I'll get another (it's not fun if you can't experiment a little hehe). The ESC is a Force Control 60A water cooled thing, it says it's programmable, has anyone done that to this ESC? (on the ESC photo, I HAVE individually wrapped the motor wires, they are not touching, despite it looks like it)
I've bought 2 1200mAh 3S lipo's, which I'm planning on running as 3S2P, which hopefully will give the boat a bit of ooomph What do you guys reckon of this idea?
Added a few pics, coz everyone likes pictures
Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87934.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1749080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36050.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1749081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48447.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1749082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91280.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1749083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24688.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	1749084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76888.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	1749085  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 AM
s2k matt

So Ilet my impatience get the best of me yesterday and Itook the boat to a river to run. Imade it through my first 2S 2200 pack no problems other than the speed was just barely enough to make it up stream, it was a fast flowing river. Mounted my 3s pack and on my way out noticed there was not much power, brought it in to find a small rock lodged in the nozzle and one of the blades missing... I guess I will try to find a new prop and make sure I add an intake grate, but for now its forced to sit on the shelf...

seehuusen:

Your cooling pipe looks fine to me. Mine sticks out about the same as yours and Iget plenty of flow, in fact Ihave consitered cutting mine back as you really dont need as much as you think, or as much most people do. In fact, even if your pipe is flush with the inside wall, the positive pressure of the flow will force water into the hole enough to flow through the system. The waters here are still really cold and my setup may not be as hot as some, but my componnts are usually colder when im done running than when Istart.

Regarding your radio settings, I did limit my servo throw as you dont need much on this boat. Ihave my push rod on the closest hole on the servo horn and it was still too much throw.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 PM
seehuusen

@ S2K_Matt, thanks for confirming that mate The hot glue seems to have created a plastic holder around the tube, which does hold it tightly in place, but it's not glued... if that makes any sense Basically I can move it around a little, so I will try to flush mount it as well and see how that goes, in theory, as you also say, it should work

Bad news though, it seems the last part, my motor has gone missing somewhere between China and here... Damn BUT as I was looking around for another, I thought I'd ask, has any one put a longer motor in? 
Most seem to run with 2848 sized motor, but what about a 2860 sized motor? What would the advantage, if any be?

If the motor that I ordered doesn't show up, then I'd be keen to buy something a bit bigger, just for the hell of it
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 AM
s2k matt

I installed a replacement impeller, and added a screen to the intake. Iused JB weld on the grate, you can also see Iused it to plug the screw holes and seal the jet drive from the outside as well. It may not look too clean in the pics, but it looks better in person and holds up really well. Cant wait to take it back to the river and test it out. I decided to install it on an angle as I believe it will help with loosing suction as the water flow is more perpindicular to the grate.

@ Seehuusen:
I believe, and everyone can correct me if im missing something, but the only thing you gain with going with a larger size motor is more power (wattage). With a normal prop boat you would be able to upgrade the prop size for more speed, but since we are stuck with a single size of impeller, a bigger motor doesnt help you after a certian point. The KV x voltage will give the rpm of the prop, but you also need the power (wattage) to push the water and over come the force to get up to that rpm. A2040 size motor may run out of power at a certian RPM and load, its like a car thats geared for 150 mph but doesnt have the horsepower to get there. A 2848 of the same KV will have more power but same RPM, now its like your car is still geared for 150mph but has more power and can make it to that speed. Going larger to a 2860 size motor with the same KV will be even more power, but since were stuck with a single impeller size and pitch the boat will not be any faster. You may gain some acceleration but too much acceleration and you can cavitate, and your also adding more weight.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:38 AM
wrangellboy

@s2k_matt, where did you find a new impeller? I finally gave up on my old drive and ordered an entire new drive off ebay, mostly just to get a new impeller...

I ordered some small 3 bladed props to try out in the old drive. They're 21mm so I won't have to mill them down much.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13391
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM
s2k matt

I did the same thing, I ordered a whole drive on ebay and just pulled the prop and shaft out of it. Iacually have a whole second boat, but decided to keep it in tact for another build.

I did find this website:
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...upner_jet.html

and they have spare props for sale for their 2349 drive unit, which if im not mistaken is the same as the one in this boat except for the reverse bucket.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...tml#aG2349_2e2

I ordered 2 of these to try, Ill post my results once Iget them and let you know if they are the same ones. (can anyone else confirm this?)

Let me know how the 3 bladed props work, I thought of trying to do this with 3 blade metal props, and am curious to see how they perform.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM
sundogz

The Graupner minijet impeller is the same except the shaft is 3mm (NQD is 2.3mm). You can enlarge (drill out) the shaft bore to fit, but you'll need a 3mm to 2.3mm coupler, and deal with the undersize stator housing bushing some how (drill out or replace with a bearing or another bushing.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM
s2k matt

Damn, these boats are addicting!! plus Ilove projects like this and building things which makes it even worse. Ihave only run my redbull boat a few times and it has already made me order a second one. It got taken apart this weekend and Ilaid a coat of white primer on the hull. Stay posted for a bright 2 color florescent paint job...
Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
supersoaker548
My Feedback: (1)

these look like too much fun. I know what my next rc will be
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
olliechristo

Nice intake grate Matt. I like the angle of entry and mesh size, have experimented with a few things , a fork, plastic mesh.. And yeah making stuff is much much fun..

Well second boat is fully finished and fine tuned with bec 5v feed led lights.., learned a lot from first build and used that to make something a bit more fast and durable and different characteristics to the first boat but running at similar speed..... opened out jet intake a little and polished inside, added a metal gutter guard screen that works excellent..i used powerplus car paints with a clear coat.. this silver one is on 2s 2200mah turnigy with a 4122KV 2040 Psyclone hobby motor..selleys shoe glue melted my transom a bit. so i strengthened it with a stainless steel plate[8D], put a coat of industrial 2 part epoxy waterproofing membrane inside the hull to prevent holes and stiffen a little..and[  epoxy membrane coats around jet drive etc for a really solid second layer.. i made my servo mounts from aluminium and liquid nailed them in after making sure they were in correct position.. i added a surfboard silicone nose and rubber strip around edges, running up againts concrete and rocks is a breeze now both boats seem pretty bulletproof now and have good run times and take on very little water.. the gopro has been the latest fun addition..surprised to find the extra weight makes the boat run even better (much less cavitation) almost none..  more videos to come... more experiments to be done..      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfvd1...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Quicksilver

on my bigger billings/KMB jet, I used bow saw blades as a grate... I gotta find the pics, it worked well, I tried mesh like that and it would hold a prime.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
seehuusen

Thanks S2K_Matt, I've gone with the original 2848 3900kv Seaking motor

Because the motor never arrived, I just got these off Hobbyking
Motor Seaking 2848SL 3900KV Water cooled:

and then a water outlet for the boat, that'll look sleek, and hopefully I'll be able to see the water spout

I'm hoping it'll arrive soon so i can finish this boat and get it wet... more news when it's all arrived

Cheers
Martin
Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Dongskie

U R 2 N V!!!!!!!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:24 PM
prontozuk

So has anyone used the prop blades from hobbking that "s2k matt" mentioned as i have smashed my prop blades and need new ones. or is there anywhere just to get these parts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13391

Thanks James
Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM
wrangellboy

I have those 3 bladed props sitting in my garage to try out. I'll report back when I try them out, should be fairly soon...
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
murmuzy-tearinto

Hi, I have a request for anyone that can make or has spare output nozzles, and stator housing. I have broken 2 stator housings and two output nozzles. It's the small tabs on the stator that hold the nozzle in place that keep breaking. I've installed a metal running plate beneath that runs out past the nozzle to protect it, seems I'll need to make a cage for it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of someone that fabricates them themselves I would greatly appreciate it. I know if I order another boat to tear apart I will just end up breaking the pieces again because of the plastic's cheap quality and my extremely awesome aggressive driving. I've seen on this thread someone that made them out of plastic before. I would pay for parts, labour and shipping to Halifax, NS of course.

Thanks a lot

EDIT: Iam aware of the $25 jet drive units on eBay, I have gotten these before but I am looking for something stronger

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Dongskie

Here is mine, finally ran it!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:28 AM
aum-offshore

My Collection

Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Dongskie

Where can I buy these upgrades?

Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 AM
swervyn

hi all

have finally got some bits & pieces together to allow me to run the boat for longer than 5 minutes without something failing!!
still dont think im getting the speed i expect (maybe i am over expecting??)
am running:
leopard 2040-4450kv motor (thanks sundogz)
60A esc watercooled
3s 2200mah 45c and 2s4800mah 45c battery
also put graupner ujoint coupling in which i am chuffed with

do i need a larger size motor? different battery setup? i want it to scream but preferably not explode

thanks all
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
sundogz

That 4450kv Leopard is suitable for 2S use, not 3S. On 3S you'll get more noise, but not much (if any) more speed. If you want more speed, go to a 28mm motor. You probably have bigger expectations from this boat. A jet drive will not be able to attain speeds you will get from a prop driven boat. But it can run in shallow water and rapids, where you would damage a prop.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Wavekatcher

I've started reading thru the thread, and I am glad I did before test running stock. The impeller looks to be rubbing, so she will need some internal sanding when I "tear into" her for the make over. I've got my parts coming in. I'm going to run a 2s setup (this is for my 3 year old son) prolly do a 3s setup for me when boat #2 arrives. 4800kv watercooled motor, 35amp seaking esc, 2s 2650mah 30c lipos, waterproof servo, traxxas slash rx box, radio and rx from my "upgraded to Futaba" Axial Wraith.

We live steps to a river, so perfect lil boat for some fun.

What's everyone using for the initial cutting of the deck? Nice sharp X-acto?
Old 05-12-2012, 02:22 PM
swervyn

Thankyou Sundogz
yes i do seem to be getting a bit more speed on the 3s, but dont seem to get to the point of "more noise, no extra speed"?
might try a larger size motor and see how that goes
am enjoying the tinkering around with it, so maybe a bit more fine tuning and more internet parts orders lol
Old 05-12-2012, 07:13 PM
sundogz

What I mean is it isn't really going much faster (but does 'sound' like it is). A larger motor can overcome that barrier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.