Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Unofficial "NQD" Tear into Jetboat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM
seehuusen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial

Hey mate
I made a list a few pages back, here it is
I just noticed that someone in Australia is selling this boat as a brushless kit, for AU$199 excluding radio gear, but it's a better setup for 2S than 3S with a 4400KV motor and 50amp ESC. He'll sell you the radio gear for an additional $80, but then I'd rather get the GT3B that I got for less than $50 to be honest

Tear Into 3S setup:
Boat
[/b]
(AU$59.00)re"> NQD Tear Into jet boat (probably a knock off from China, how do you know anyways?)

RadioGear
<o></o>(AU$44.09)re"> FS-GT3B2.4Ghz3ch Transmitter (with 1 receiver)
<o></o>
(AU$19.90)re"> HPI sf-10W waterproof servo<o></o>

Motor
<o></o>(AU$40.00)re"> HOBBYWING Seaking B28 3900Kv Brushless Motor
<o></o>
(AU$ 9.56)re"> Universal Joint (motor coupler), 3mm to 2.3mm<o></o>

ESC
<o></o>(AU$52.50)re"> Hobbywing Seaking-60A BrushlessESCfor Boat (Version 2)<o></o>

Battery
[/b](light and heavy options to play with weight distribution)
(AU$30.00)re"> 1x 11.1V 2200mAh 30C Lipo Battery
(AU$20.00)re"> 1x 11.1V 1300mAh 30C Lipo Battery

Charger
<o></o>(AU$70.00)eXTREME Racing R-605 Balance Charger + 5A Mains Power<o></o>

Hoses + Glue AU$10

I ran my boat again yesterday arvo on my way home from work, let me tell you, lucky I own a 4WD!!
It's been raining a fair bit where I live, and the creeks are flowing pretty hard (not over flowing, but there's a lot more water in there than usual).
Well I ran my boat aground, on the opposite side of the creek... HAHAHA, I had to put the car in 4WD low, lock the hubs in, drive through the creek and rescue the boat, water was up to the doors on the car, but I love 4WDing, so all up, a great start to the weekend LOL

cheers
Martin

Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 AM
seehuusen

Hey guys,
Man this boat is so much fun, especially on the higher c rated batteries!!
So I did the only sensible thing I could think of... had to try it... bought one of theTurnigy nano-tech 2200mah 3S 45~90C Lipo Batteries
At AU$33, it's a bit more than from hobby king, but by the time you've waited for it to be sent, and paid postage for that matter, it's probably about the same... In any case, I paid $30 for a 2200mah 25/50C lipo at the hobby shop, for the price, they're not bad actually but 3 bux more for such a jump in C rating hopefully gives the boat a bit more spark
I need to take the boat into some proper river surfing, but I need to make another grate first... Playing with the position of the prop has mad a massive difference in water pickup, further back is definitely the go...
Cheers
Martin
Old 06-02-2012, 06:49 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: seehuusen
I need to take the boat into some proper river surfing, but I need to make another grate first... Playing with the position of the prop has mad a massive difference in water pickup, further back is definitely the go...
I think you mean position of the ramp - yes. it should b all the way back. The bottom 2 screws of the impeller housing on the transom are supposed to fasten it. On a grate, a grid or screen with large (3mm) openings seem to work best. Pebbles will manage to get through the 'bars' of the original design.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:09 PM
seehuusen

Hey Sundogz, nope, I actually mean the position of the prop makes a difference, but the wedge not being all the way back makes a different behaviour, that I noted on the last page creating lift right at the back of the transom, causing the nose to be pushed down
Thanks for the tip on the grate, I'll look for something with a mesh like that
Drew a couple of quick pictures to show what I mean:
First pic is a more ideal position it seems, where the front of the blade on the prop isalignedwith the front of the HORIZONTAL part of the wedge
These props have a tendency to make their way forward, and when that happens, this causes a bit of turbulence at the bottom of the prop, which pushes water pressure back down the intake, causing worse flow, and thus less performance. I've tried to show what I mean in the below picture
I find with the prop further back, I get more suction, and less air through the drive, even on choppy stuff!
Just thought I'd share the findings
Cheers
Martin
PS. Good old photoshop makes it easy to create a different version of whatever you work on So I made a diagram of what happened to me the other day, where the "wedge" moved forward because the screws at the bottom came loose. This created a lot of lift in the rear LOL

Old 06-02-2012, 04:25 PM
seehuusen

Once I stop going to play with my boat all the time... hahaha, I'm going to make a mould of the prop as well as the wedge. These will be made out of composites, e.g. fibreglass and resin

I would like to play with different prop pitches, and a two blade design cant be that hard to copy and modify... nor the wedge, which I could then try different angles of the wedge as well as differing horizontal lengths... When I get around to it... 

I saw someone had extended the their stator housing, what effect does that have?

Cheers
Martin
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: seehuusen

I saw someone had extended the their stator housing, what effect does that have?

Cheers
Martin
I think that was done because the use of a modified prop as an impeller required more space.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:06 PM
murmuzy-tearinto

Hi has anyone used this jet drive labeled 'Drive System:RD'?    http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PRB3656
It looks to be about the same size as the nqd one and it's only about $20.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: murmuzy-tearinto

Hi has anyone used this jet drive labeled 'Drive System:RD'? http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PRB3656
It looks to be about the same size as the nqd one and it's only about $20.
That is the 13mm drive that Proboat puts in their Duck Decoy Recovery boat. It is quite small - suitable for up to a 15" boat perhaps.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM
schiesz

It says it has a 19mm impeller.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
seehuusen

We've had a lot of rain over the weekend, and the little bridge that I pass to work was flooded yesterday. Today the road was open, and after work I ran the boat in the rapid flowing water, that was so much fun!! I am so stoked with this little boat!!

BTW Will, I was thinking, you may need some sort of air intake protection, as a fair bit of water comes over the nose of the boat...

Cheers everyone for your help and contributions a special thanks to Sundogz for answering a lot of my questions, silly or not

/Martin
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 AM
willo jet

Martin,

One step ahead i have this and it will be coverd with the hatch.

Went and seen the guy making my exhaust manifold and he hasnt done anything !!! couldnt find any tubing that is at the size i req i was like you could have rung and told me lol

so tomorrow at work im going too machine up a piece that he can use......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69588.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1768864  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

hey just to let u know when a nitro motor is in a marine app u dont have to run a filter
Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: schiesz

It says it has a 19mm impeller.

Well unless they've had the Proboat micro drive resized (which is highly unlikely since it is a downsized 25mm ABC drive), they're mistaken. I own this jet drive (as well as the NQD, Graupner, ABC and Powerjet drives) and it is smaller than the NQD and Graupner units that do have a 19mm impeller. The giveaway is the impeller housing liner/bushing (as well as the grate screen). They just copied the info from the Graupner mini (which is backordered on their site) to this page. They screwed up.[X(]

Get the NQD drive off ebay , it costs about $25 and is 19mm.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
willo jet

Dragonfire81m - I know that i may not need it in marine app but i got it anyways just incase.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
seehuusen

my ESC died today I think it was the water that got into it, it's one of those with a water cooling jacket and wrapped in plastic...

Do you guys add silicone into the esc to seal it up better?
I'm looking at another one now, what do you guys run?

Cheers
Martin
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
wyattroa

Are these really that hard to find and buy? I ordered one today when I finally found one and got an email later saying they were now out of stock. Any idea where I can find one?
Robert
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
willo jet

You can get them from this site www.rcnz.co.nz 

Prices are in USD as of 06/06/2012

NQD - R/C Tear Into Jet Sprint Boat - RTR (White or Yellow) - $60.89 USD

Freight to USA - $34.25 USD

So $95.14 USD all up

So pretty much sign up an account with rcnz.

Cheers
Will

Old 06-06-2012, 06:30 AM
s2k matt

If you have an ebay account they show up on there every so often for around $40. Ihave gotten 3 through ebay. There arent any on there right now, but the seller I got mine from was "mideatoys", Iwould search his screen name and watch to see if he posts any more, or even send him a message. These boats are fun, but arent worth $95 + parts in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM
seehuusen

yeah the postage kills it a bit for you guys in the US... I have to agree with Matt, you might just have to search eBay on a regular basis, there was a modded one on there two days ago I think... you might want to try both ebay.com and ebay.com.au they WILL produce different results, which is a pain in the neck, but a handy hint when you're in the know haha

good luck mate

Cheers
Martin
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Japantamiyafan

I finally got my NQD.
painted it with my airbrush... it's the first time I've done this effect on a body...
Then fitted a Birdie amp and the 4600kv 2040 motor.
Battery is 2200 2S
It's not blisteringly fast, but I like it. Just need to find more places to run it.
Here is a video I took during my first run today.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Goldenduff

Martin- 

Re waterproofing esc mix up some epoxy and cover the esc with it- Han it up to dry as a work bench probably won't fit in your boat!

Silicone fumes can burn out some electric components so use with care.

All the best
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM
MassiveOverkill

Saw some of the prices you all are paying for this boat:

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1-...0487522012019E

You can't beat 28 bucks shipped.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 PM
seehuusen

WOW, you certainly can't beat that price, so I got another one HAHAHA Cheers for that
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM
MassiveOverkill

I'm thinking this would be a good platform for a rescue boat, especially for being so cheap?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
seehuusen

bloody great if you ask me

Thanks Goldenstuff, I've gone and bought the same ESC I had before, el' cheapo from China, and I'll coat it in Resin this time around Thanks for that tip, as I've got bucket loads of resin anyway, for fixing my surf boards after large swell has come through (boards tend to get dinged up on the rocks LOL)

Nice boat, Japantamiyafan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.