Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Nitro to Electric help Dumas, Miss Unlimited KIT1305

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Nitro to Electric help Dumas, Miss Unlimited KIT1305

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 PM
TINYDANCER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro to Electric help Dumas, Miss Unlimited KIT1305

I need some feed back on what would be a good electric motor set up for this kit.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
dogbiteken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dumas, Miss Unlimited KIT1305

just finished construction of my miss unlimited and was debating going electric with it. no paint or finish yet waiting for some hardware to complete construction thought it might be a good candidate for some electromotive force. have looked at motors , controlers, and lipo batteries. will post some pics soon.

"Help! Jane! Stop this crazy thing!" George Jetson.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 PM
dogbiteken

ok, pictures as promised. i think the boat has potential with the right motor battery combo. lots of room for batteries. i did not glue in the engine mounts to be able to modify them to accept a mount for a motor to align with the shaft. i did get the dumas hardware with the boat and it comes with a 1/4-24 threaded u-joint adapter for a nitro engine. the boat weighs well over 600 grams. still a bit in the dark about electrics and how powerful they are. boat is rated for a .29 to .35 nitro engine. dont really know what the translation is to electric and how it relates to nitro. yeah i read the sticky topic at the top of this catagory, still lost.

"Help! Jane! Stop this crazy thng!" George Jetson.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29358.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1110969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49068.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1110970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41439.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1110971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70910.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1110972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15272.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1110973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs12740.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	1110974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ps27156.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1110975  
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM
TINYDANCER

This is great!!Thanks for the reply. This is the first pictures I have seen of this boat being built. I thought I would have my boat by now but Dumas was out of stock so it going to be another 2 weeks before I see mine. I started this project because it was an all wood boat rather than the RTR boats that I have had in the past. The only other pictures I have seen were of the one Jeff Miller found and completed with an electric motor. I will looking forward to seeing more of your project. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM
dogbiteken

might get more comments by adding "nitro to electric conversion" to the thread title, just a thought.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 AM
TINYDANCER

I did as you said and add a little more to the title hoping to get some more feed back. Have you done any thing more to your Miss Unlimited?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
dogbiteken

only work done lately is trying to get a bbetter read on motors. i have found out that rpm output is important and that it should not be overdone on a boat because of prop size the spec for the engine is .19 to like .32 smaller than i had previously reported and a brushless electric equivilant for aircraft is a 36mmX50mm 1500rpm/v with a 14 to 22v rateing, a 80a electronic controler, and a lipo battery pack. it can start to get pricey at over 300 bucks. any good links to sites with marine motors would be great, thanks.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM
studioRS

I'm thinking about the same kit as well and have a new, but still considered very fast, brushed Astro-Flight 25 5-turn marine motor. I'm planning to use this with 12 - 3300 NmH cells to keep costs lower. Since this Dumas Miss Unlimited is 36" long it would be considered around 1/10 scale. There are two groups that run this scale hydroplanes in WA.

e-rcu.org
classicthunder.org

I did build the 1/16 scale Dumas Thriftway Too kit and converted this to electric way back in 1993. Here's a shot of this in Lake Tahoe where I used to live. This used a Graupner Speed 500 Race motor, 6 cells, Hughey hardware setup. I still have this hydroplane and will revive it soon.

more photos >> http://gallery.mac.com/studiors#100366

Today's electric systems are really advanced and the most knowledgeable RC gurus are over at the forums offered by this company, also a great resource for parts. Hope this helps, keep posting photos on your progress.

offshoreelectrics
and...
rumrunnerracing
Old 01-29-2009, 03:28 PM
TINYDANCER

Thanks for the help. I just started my new boat and wasn't sure how I was going to get everything I need to complete it to scale. I'm new to building electric boats, I ve been building wooden RC sail boats but never taken on a build like this. I run a Nitro boat now but it is RTR and I wanted to build something like I saw when I was a little boy. I will post my build when there is something to see and I get close to deciding where the electric motor goes compaired to the gas motor the plans call for.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 PM
chief3452

Hey Tinydancer,

The sky is the limit on power options and money you can spend. Brushless motors and Lipo batteries are the hot setup, but be prepared to spend some bucks. As previously mentioned, there are some very knowledgable people on other forums. RumRunnerRacing would be a good place to seek info. The 2 racing clubs mentioned could be helpful as well. If you decide to use nitro power I have built the Miss Unlimited and could offer some suggestions to make your life easier. Good Luck
Old 02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Raymondpb

Dogbiteken, Yours are the first pictures of the Miss Ulimted I have been able to find yet. They look real good. I just got my MU kit and resarching all I can before I start into it. This is my first boat build so I have a bunch of qustions like 'what type of glue' and 'how to layout hole for the drive that passes trough the hull'. I am thinking about a different propulsion direction than you are (I want to go Nitro) on this iteration but would apprecate anythnig you can pass along.

Ray
Mattawan MI
[email protected]
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM
TINYDANCER

dogbiteken, how are you doing with your build of the Miss Unlimited? I hope you have some more pictures to share with us.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
TEAM TWISTED NEVADA

ORIGINAL: dogbiteken

ok, pictures as promised. i think the boat has potential with the right motor battery combo. lots of room for batteries. i did not glue in the engine mounts to be able to modify them to accept a mount for a motor to align with the shaft. i did get the dumas hardware with the boat and it comes with a 1/4-24 threaded u-joint adapter for a nitro engine. the boat weighs well over 600 grams. still a bit in the dark about electrics and how powerful they are. boat is rated for a .29 to .35 nitro engine. dont really know what the translation is to electric and how it relates to nitro. yeah i read the sticky topic at the top of this catagory, still lost.

"Help! Jane! Stop this crazy thng!" George Jetson.
hey brother do you have any pics of the front without the skin on? im stuck and the planes arnt telling me or showing me what i want to know.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM
dogbiteken

did not take any pics of the sub structure under the mahogony skin. i just tried to plane the frames with some extra small pieces to double them up and extend them to the bow. the plans were kind of lacking about info for this area. have not made any more progress on my build been distrscted with other projects check out the miss unlimited thread in the nitro section i think i saw some good frame pics there that might help.