Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Help! Any electrical wizards out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Help! Any electrical wizards out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Any electrical wizards out there?

I want to reduce the flow on a 12 pump I want to use for cooling my ESC and motor, IF the prop wash is not enough flow to reach the distance needed in my Sea Queen. This boat with the stock motor will not be very fast I am told.
There are 2 pumps I have in mind, both at Tower.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNE55&P=ML and this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDND3&P=7
I have used the Sullivan Streamer pump, at 9.6 volts, to fill the smoke tank on my RC airplanes. I will assume these will also run fast enough at 6 volts, and pump water. My object is not so much to reduce the flow as much as to reduce the current drain on my 12 volt gel cell for my motor. I need information as to whether or not this is a good idea .... if so .... then what parts do I need to achive this voltage drop. Someone said that dropping the voltage will increase my amp draw. I am lost when it comes to electric. I only know how to "plug it in"!
Thanks in advance,
lownslo .... Bob in Indy
Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Help! Any electrical wizards out there?

It doesn't take much flow to really cool well. Dropping voltage in this case will LOWER the current draw, as the load is related to how much water you're trying to pump. However, you need a certain RPM in the pump for it to do anything useful (efficiency).

Andy
Old 01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
pompebled

Hi Bob,

In my opinion a pump is just ballast you can do without, unless you go for the scale effect of having water run from the outlet when the boat is stationary.

A waterpick-up behind the prop will provide enough water to cool both ESC and motor when the prop is spinning.

Regards, Jan.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 PM
lownslo

Because I am such a rookie at the "boat scene" I just did not realize the potential of the prop wash,forward motion pressure. I was concerened by the distance of travel. (From the pick up to the motor's brush cooling tubes). This is a fairly big boat and that distance is about 23-24 inches. (about 60-65 cm). I think I am going to build or buy a "cooling plate, or a thin can" for the ESC too. I liked the brass work Jan did in those photos.[8D] As always ...... thanks for putting up with all my questions.
lownslo ...... Bob in Indy