Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

SV 27 VS. FASTECH HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

SV 27 VS. FASTECH HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM
sims5hd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV 27 VS. FASTECH HELP

new to rc boat hobby,can anyone give some good advice on what to look at ? I'm wanting fast out of the box, brushless, stable in water. what brand is good quality & customer support is relatively important. Under $400 preferably.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM
SV27dayton

Default RE: what rtr to get?

The UL-1 is new so reliability is in question but if you can do minor repairs it's been clocked at around 50 with stock running gear. Is an ideal 4S setup so if you have 4S lipos for something else you are ready to get we. It is a hydro so stability is relative.[&:]
Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
sims5hd

i looked at the UL-1 nice boat but like u said little unstable at high speeds. How bout proboat fastech or supervee 27 ? IS ul-1 that much more unstable than v hulls cause i really like it? speed wise much difference between ul-1 and v-hulls? ANYONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Vanguo88

Handling are relatives. Vees are always easier to handler in rough water and high wind. Hydro on the other hand prefer less wavy water.
But UL-1 has fairly large body, so handling in 4" wave should not be big issue. But Vees are easier in turns.
If you want something fast and only need medium capacity 3S Lipo to run, take a look at the Starship from MiniCatUSA.
The can glide on 3 - 4" wave at 50+mph easy.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 AM
justintime2w8
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ADVICE ON WHAT TO BUY?

The sv 27 is also a true V, meaning it is not like the formula fastech which has the flattened bottom. This will give you a hull that you can upgrade later and be a fun boat at any speed. You might also consider the blackjack 26 as it a Cat hull and will be fast and stable and still handle decent waves.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:54 AM
SV27dayton

I think you will be happy with any one of these boats. these are all the top RTR's. What he means on the fasttech is that the very back of the hull has a flat ride pad. This is sometimes used to solve some other handling problems in boat design but is considered somewhat of a shortcut. I believe this is why the FT is good straight line fast but people complain about the turning. I've watched the videos and it seems to turn OK and go very fast, probably handle rough water probably better than the SV. For some reason not clear in the forum it's not the favorite, but for a 300 dollar rtr I think it's pretty solid.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
sims5hd

ORIGINAL: SV27dayton

I think you will be happy with any one of these boats. these are all the top RTR's. What he means on the fasttech is that the very back of the hull has a flat ride pad. This is sometimes used to solve some other handling problems in boat design but is considered somewhat of a shortcut. I believe this is why the FT is good straight line fast but people complain about the turning. I've watched the videos and it seems to turn OK and go very fast, probably handle rough water probably better than the SV. For some reason not clear in the forum it's not the favorite, but for a 300 dollar rtr I think it's pretty solid.
do you own any of these RTR boats ? what kind of setups do you have in them and what online hobby store do you recommend getting them from? I hear bad raps on some of the forums and just want to get from someone reliable. I just moved into a house on a lake so i'm gettin the itch to get one of these RTR's wet if you know what i mean. thanx, rick
Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 AM
diskocreep

SV27 [sm=thumbs_up.gif] great helpful customer service

www.offshoreelectrics.com

They even have the SV27 on sale right now!
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 AM
SV27dayton

I have an SV27. It's my only RTR. I have the stock motor and ESC in it but most of the rest has been moded in some way. I've gone 41.3 on nimh packs, which is pretty fast for stock. I'm currently building my second boat, (have been for 2 years, on and off). I would recommend Towwer Hobbies. I don't have alot of experience with them but it seems like they get Aquacrafts attentention if there are any problems. This forum has a general positive opinion of Tower. My SV was perfect when I got it but there has been alot of chatter about quality issues as of late. Get on Youtube and watch some vids. One peice of advice. I have the boat, which I paid about 300 for. But I also have a 180 dollar charger and 300 bucks worth of batterys. It's RTR unless you have the batteries and charger.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
sims5hd

I have an SV27. It's my only RTR. I have the stock motor and ESC in it but most of the rest has been moded in some way. I've gone 41.3 on nimh packs, which is pretty fast for stock. I'm currently building my second boat, (have been for 2 years, on and off). I would recommend Towwer Hobbies. I don't have alot of experience with them but it seems like they get Aquacrafts attentention if there are any problems. This forum has a general positive opinion of Tower. My SV was perfect when I got it but there has been alot of chatter about quality issues as of late. Get on Youtube and watch some vids. One peice of advice. I have the boat, which I paid about 300 for. But I also have a 180 dollar charger and 300 bucks worth of batterys. It's RTR unless you have the batteries and charger.
just curious is your charger and batteries gold plated !!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
ryanwilson277

ORIGINAL: justintime2w8mac

The sv 27 is also a true V, meaning it is not like the formula fastech which has the flattened bottom.
man everyone is getting this wrong i think u mean the fastech that is a deep vee
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM
RaceCraftRC

ORIGINAL: ryanwilson277

ORIGINAL: justintime2w8mac

The sv 27 is also a true V, meaning it is not like the formula fastech which has the flattened bottom.
man everyone is getting this wrong i think u mean the fastech that is a deep vee

The fasttech has a v shaped hull , but not really considered a deep V , because it has a realitivly flat bottem , and the SV has a very defined V shape!!! I think that sum's it up!! The formula is a hydro with a very flat bottem!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
sims5hd

sorry guys didn't mean to get you all v'd up. do you guys have a favorite in these 2 RTR's ? i'm just trying to get as many views on these boats as i can. I don't have a clue on what props, battery brands are reliable, what size battery can i go w/out overheating motor, esc. etc. while i'm at it how about chargers that will do EVERYTHING ?????? I know there are threads on all this stuff but just trying to get all i can summed up w/out spending a week at my computer which i don't have time for. Thanks a million for your guys input i honestly appreciate it.[sm=49_49.gif][sm=bananahead.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=idea.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=drowning.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM
SV27dayton

Default RE: SV 27 VS. FASTECH HELP

gold plated? no. It's not uncommon for a good set of batts to cost 100. If you have 3 well that's 300.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5250-74-Pack.htm these are 120 each.

http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863 Here's my charger for 190.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:07 PM
sims5hd

gold plated? no. It's not uncommon for a good set of batts to cost 100. If you have 3 well that's 300.

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-5250-74-Pack.htm these are 120 each.

http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=6863 Here's my charger for 190.
that looks like a real good charger dayton. Wow this stuff is pretty cashy i hope my wife understands, lol,,[>:]
Old 04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
diskocreep

ORIGINAL: sims5hd
that looks like a real good charger dayton. Wow this stuff is pretty cashy i hope my wife understands, lol,,[>:]
It is not necessary to go as extreme as dayton on the batts and charger, though it would be nice.

You can find tenergy 6 cell 4500mah battery packs for $25 a piece brand new, not sure on what chargers are going for new, but I bought mine for $30 on ebay. You can also find clean used SV27's on ebay from $150-200 used and new/used.

As far as the SV goes, awesome boat, absolutely love it, haven't driven a fastech, don't really have to other than pure curiosity due to the fact I'm completely satisfied with my 2 SV's.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:37 AM
sims5hd

thanks disko, sure is a big difference in price on this stuff i'm sure quality has a lot to do with it. some people have bigger wallets than others so that's how we determine what we can and can't buy
Old 04-30-2009, 06:42 AM
SV27dayton

I'm not buying those Max amp batteries. But I thought it was important to let you know that the boat is only part of the cost. I'm considering getting some lipos from Hobby city and running them in parallel so that they can handle the current draw of my 8XL cat. If you buy a charger make sure it can charge lipos. They are the future of FE.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:28 PM
sims5hd

I'm not buying those Max amp batteries. But I thought it was important to let you know that the boat is only part of the cost. I'm considering getting some lipos from Hobby city and running them in parallel so that they can handle the current draw of my 8XL cat. If you buy a charger make sure it can charge lipos. They are the future of FE.
what's parallel. and current draw from what the motor? and do you think that lifepo4 batteries may also be a battery of the future[sm=71_71.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
SV27dayton

Parallel means that the positive terminal from both batteries (in this case each 4S) are tied together and connected to the ESC, and the same with the negative terminals. if you were to wire these in series it mean you'd connect the positive of one to the negative of the other and the other leads to the ESC. This would give you 8S1P in this case. Lots of voltage but not as much capacity. The first setup would be 1/2 of that voltage 4S2P.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
acejinx

My competitive neighbor bought the Fastech, he has been trying to buy a boat that could keep up with my Nitro SV 27. I had my father in law smoke with with the electric version, so I promply sold the Nitro and bought the electric. Soon (Two poor quality boats sent back to Tower later...) I'll have a straight, stock match up with him and let you know how it goes. And if it goes badly for me I'll proably have a SV27 you can have cheep!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 AM
sims5hd

Parallel means that the positive terminal from both batteries (in this case each 4S) are tied together and connected to the ESC, and the same with the negative terminals. if you were to wire these in series it mean you'd connect the positive of one to the negative of the other and the other leads to the ESC. This would give you 8S1P in this case. Lots of voltage but not as much capacity. The first setup would be 1/2 of that voltage 4S2P.
can you run that many cells and voltage in the stock sv27 motor and esc or is that just an example?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:27 AM
sims5hd

ORIGINAL: acejinx

My competitive neighbor bought the Fastech, he has been trying to buy a boat that could keep up with my Nitro SV 27. I had my father in law smoke with with the electric version, so I promply sold the Nitro and bought the electric. Soon (Two poor quality boats sent back to Tower later...) I'll have a straight, stock match up with him and let you know how it goes. And if it goes badly for me I'll proably have a SV27 you can have cheep!
thanx, let me know how it goes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 AM
sims5hd

ORIGINAL: acejinx

Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 AM
SV27dayton

4S is all id recommend in the sv as far as voltage. But you can run as many in parallel as you like. It's just more capacity. People dont' usually do it because it adds weight and is expensive but it also in cases where you run 2, 4S cells in parallel it may be a realistic combo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.