Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Onboard Video Camera

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Onboard Video Camera

Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Stinger9d9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard Video Camera

So I was thinking about mounting a camera capable of capturing video to one of my boats. The question is, is there a solution that works reasonably well that is relatively cheap? (Sub $100).

These are some of the cameras I have found:

- The Hero GoPro Camera - this looks by far the best, but it is about $179 to $199 which is quite a bit for something I won't use very often
- one of many wireless "spy" cameras on Ebay which provide a wireless video signal to plug into a separate video recording device (these are only about $40 but I don't know how good the range is)
- one of the no name "pen" cameras on Ebay (they make some pretty bad looking video though with only 15 frames per second)
- one of the spy cameras from Ebay that holds 4gb and fits inside a pack of gum (they still look like they produce pretty poor video)

Here are some other ideas I thought of...

- could I use an old camera phone? I could probably pick one up off Ebay cheap.
- does anyone know of any older model small point and shoot digital camera that do video? If they are obsolete enough, they again would go pretty cheap on Ebay.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:44 PM
headhunter23

Default RE: Onboard Video Camera - any affordable suggestions?

Ok... here's the deal, wireless cams from ebay generally get 10m distance(I would say most, but they can be modified). Sometimes more but not much, you can increase the distance by changing antenna on the receiver(little greyish white box), or tuning the tx itself etc. Pretty much pita plus u would need some other equipment to get her to work right. I would suggest looking at rangevideo.com, or nghobbies.com i think it is etc. There are a couple other outfits that specialize in long distance stable wireless systems(for rc airplanes), a little more money but worth it. Yet another issue... maybe maybe not is frequency, if you get 2.4ghz and run 2.4 ghz then it not work very well(if you have spektrum, turn on video system first then radio, but even then it still affects video).

China systems aren't technically legal, they run around 2.1ghz or something like that... ummmm... then u would need to bring tv, and a recorder of some type. Oh and quality, no where near an on board system.

Other option is to get camera, I've had good experience with panasonics for the planes, handle vibration well and colors are exceptional. Ummm had a canon sd something and it was ok, did not shoot very well with vibrations. A lot of the guys are dipping into cheap asian made video cameras that are doing HD 1280, these turn out good videos. Problems with some is the format they record in are generally apples, which for any one without mac is pita to edit or at minimum convert to other format. Ummm... other downside of real camera, keeping it dry, plus it'll be bulkier than wireless sytem, unless of course u stripe camera down to board and lens, run power off esc etc.

Anyways if you want to know more about both, highly suggest u do some reading at http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

Ivan.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stinger.
R2hobbies do a few different systems. You'll have to compare all the different specs 'cos it's all left handed Swahili to me.
If you click on the photo of each system they give you a broader spec chart & more info.

[link]http://www.r2hobbies.com/products.php?cat=112[/link]

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Stinger9d9

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I found this camera while looking around on youtube. It's waterproof and can shoot up to 2 hours of video.
[link]http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=0&pid=709&scid=77[/link]

In this video, it is shown on a model rocket. It broke off it's mount at 1900 feet and fell to the ground...and didn't break!
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc_tnxA7uhQ[/link]

It should be tough enough to troll around on an FE boat after that! Now if it could only float...

One is on the way. I will post some onboard videos as soon as I can.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that seems like a solid camera, i agree with your youtube comment saying the manu. should link to that vid, got you to buy one right, cant wait to see the vid when get it
Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Onboard Video Camera

did you end up getting that camera? im looking for one
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM
SV27dayton

Darn it stinger!  I didn't need one of those until just now!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Djioul

I used this one for all of these video.

On a car :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMij_F1OZc

On a boat :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RARTUDE3nMw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuUDPEnc8_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQzTzqJGdF4

Not bad at all, just the sound that could be better.

It's really waterproof (watch 1st boat vid) and unbreakable (roll-in while fitted on the car, and no issue).

The friend of mine who owns this cam fitted it on his motorbike and lost it at more than 200kmh at the end of a straight line on a track : the cam was 100% OK !
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
SacMan31
My Feedback: (1)

Ok well ill do some asking to my dad who has a FPV Multiplex Easystar with a camera thats mounted on 2 servos and you have a headset that diplays an image equvilant to a 52" tv, and when you look up or down or left or right the camera moves with the movement of your head allowing you a 180 degree view. He regualarly flies his up to 1+ miles away with a clear video in the headset..... The camera is 1" square, very light and handles vibration very well. The feild box is built into a tackle box with the reciever for the video, 12v battery and chargers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34421.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1212013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29288.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1212014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56102.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1212015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34421.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1212016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29288.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1212017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56102.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1212018  
Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 PM
SacMan31
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know why its posting the pics twice???? sorry about that.... let me know if this is any help, ill get some more technical info onthe camera, headset, reciever if any one wants it.....
Old 06-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Stinger9d9

Ok, after a little too long of a wait, I have fastened a proper mount for my ATC2K camera to the hatch of the Brushless Hammer and shot some video.

If anyone is thinking of doing this, and wants to order an extra hatch for the Hammer, be warned, even though Tower Hobbies recommends the fibreglass hatch (because the plastic one is discontinued) it DOES NOT FIT the plastic hull. I now have a couple of spare hatches that I can't use (and I paid a lot to ship to Canada). Thanks alot Tower.

Anyway, here is the link to the video:
www.youtube.com/watch

...and a picture of the boat with the camera mounted to it...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92868.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1222280