Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Help with converting 40" v Nitro to FE

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Help with converting 40" v Nitro to FE

Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with converting 40" v Nitro to FE

I’m converting a nitro boat to FE.It is the Punisher boat (40” v-hull) seen in my gallery.I have a 1200kv 45mmX77mm BL motor for it as well as a 120amp USB PC programmable ESC. I’ve found a cooling jacket for it from offshore electrics and a cooling jacket for the ESC from the same as well.I currently have an Octura x452 2-blade prop and will either go with 6s or 8s LiPo for power.
My questions are:I’ve used liquid electrical tape on my big boats trolling motor to water proof connectors; I plan to shrink wrap the ESC to the water jacket then add liquid electrical tape to water proof the ESC.Is this advisable to water proof the ESC?If not any ideas?Second,Since the hull is set up for a Nitro engine it has an open deck.I thought of buying a very light sheet of plywood, molding it to cover the open deck, then fiber glassing over it to make it water resistant.Or can I just leave the deck open with the motor catching ram air for further cooling?Third, the motor I have has a 6mm shaft I’m having difficulty finding a coupler to couple the motor to a 3/16 flex cable.Offshore Electrics has a suitable coupler but of course they are out of stock.I’ve found a coupler at this site:http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=GRA346Will this coupler be able to handle the torque of that large BL motor?If not any suggestions to websites that might have suitable couplers?I’ve checked a lot of sites:Offshore ele; Fuller’s FE; Tower; Horizon; Prestwich; ebay;etc, etc.Or could I break out the old Dremel tool and cutr the shaft down to fit a 5mm coupler?
Lastly,I have 5” rails on the boat.Offshore electrics has a suitable motor mount but AGAIN, it is out of stock.Are there any other sites that might have suitable mounts for 5in rails?The boat still has its nitro mount on it.I’ve thought of modding it to fit the BL motor by breaking out my brazing/cutting torch and connecting a standard electric motor mount to the old nitro mount either by brazing or by bolting.Comments on this?The mount is from Dumas and was for the OS Max .65 vr-m that was in the hull.There are the pics of the hull with the .65 in it.Suggestions/comments are very welcome!Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88991.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1219892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73396.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1219893  
Old 06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
ElectRick
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with converting 40

I wouldn't use that coupler. It's plastic, and will snap in two the second you put the kind of power to it you are contemplating.

Why not just buy a 5mm-.187 flex hex coupler, and drill the 5mm end out to 6mm?

Also, I wouldn't recommend running the motor without water cooling. The airflow into the hull from moving forward isn't nearly enough to cool the motor by itself. Even a forced air arrangement isn't enough at those motor sizes.

Rick
Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 PM
deslok113

Default RE: Help with converting 40

Thanks Rick. I already have a water jacket for the motor that I got from Offshore Electrics. I was asking if it is advisable to leave the open deck on the boat or should I make a cover for it. The electronics ( r/x and steering servo will be in the radio box which is water proof. The ESC can't be placed in the radio box because of interference issues so I thought of shrink wrapping it and using liquid electrical tape to waterproof it. So the only things exposed to the open air (and splash water) would be the motor itself, power wiring / connectors,and the batt(s). Again thanks for you help I greatly appreciate it!!! Oh yeah, and the coupler idea is a good one I'll do that.