Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

H&M Freya

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

H&M Freya

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&M Freya

I am kind of new to boats. Less than 2 years... I have had a few Vegas RTR's and I currently have a UL-1 and a renegade rigger. I want a better quality and faster boat. I was going to purchase a Venom EKOS but with all the trouble with them I am backing out on that one. So I am thinking about building my own boat starting from a hull from H&M. I want the Freya (geico boat below), and according to them they are making a batch of them right now. I really liked the agitator 105 (white hull picture), but they will not be available till march next year. The motor they emailed me in the estimate work up is a Lehner 2250 9 wind hot version with a navy 155 amp esc. I was just curious if anyone out there has had this hull or any of the smaller H&M cats? How did they like them? Also my second question is what kind of epoxy do they use to glue the motor mounts in place, and to fill the gap in around the flex shaft going out the bottom of the hull? I was thinking about Hysol because I have some and have used it in all my composite giant scale planes with great luck. My other question is what kind of run time can you expect with this motor and 2 Kokam 5000mah 4s packs? Thanks in advanced guys!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18156.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1331680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86198.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	1331681  
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Gerwin Brommer

Default RE: H&M Freya

The Freya is a VERY VERY GOOD hull !!!! Very well designed.
The first one ever on the water had a BRUSHED motor in it and it hauled !!!!!!!!
4S on the 2250/9 is not enough, I would go for 6S minimum.
Runtime : depends on the size of the prop, and on how well you got the boat trimmed.
Epoxy : any 24-h epoxy is good.

Costwise : a 2240 is a good motor aswell, 2250 could be overkill if you are not very experienced.
I once have built an Maritimo (about the same size) with 2250, and that boat reached 134 km/h.
At speeds like that , cats in this size are not handling very easy.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
baxternick

There will be two of those Lipos in the boat wired in series to present a 8s load. That is what H&M said to run for the setup. I am glad to hear you had good success with this hull! Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
baxternick

Also does the carbon kevlar hull really make any difference? I see it cost alot more but is it worth it?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Gerwin Brommer

To be honest;

No.
Looks nice, but doesn't add much to the overall strenght of the hull.
A hybrid-cloth is much stronger : carbon/kevlar.
2250/9 on 8S sound better, but I'm warning you, you'll get a ballistic boat

Whispering in your ear, so not everybody will hear it :
Why buying the Lehner from overseas as you have easy acces to a Neu ?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:35 AM
baxternick

I would be happy with 65 mph out of this boat. Anything more and I will be thrilled. As far as the motor selection goes.... I was just going to use the Lehner because it came stronly reccomended by H&M. Are the Nue motors better? What Nue motor would you use that is about the same and the lehner? Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 AM
baxternick

Here is a short video I found of one running pretty fast. 144kmh

http://www.mb-forum.at/video_freya_scaredy_cat_144.wmv
Old 12-12-2009, 04:16 PM
MalcolmX

yea' she is one lovely boat, but there is also the Agitator XL 120 due out soon and she is totally awesome, check her out here

http://www.hydromarine.de/

i only chose Mystic because she is cheaper at 176 quid, but Freya is 4'' longer and thus an extra 30 quid.

the Euro is strong against the pound right now, but a year ago she would've only cost 140 quid !!!!!!

Name:	Ki20025.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1332839  
Old 12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
baxternick

The XL is sweet but would cost alot more. I am pretty stuck on the Freya. One last question. I see lots of videos of these boats flipping and hitting the water pretty hard. They all seem to fair ok after the crash in the videos. Is this true most the time. I was told by a local RC boat guy that at 70+ MPH that there won't be anything left to salvage most the time. Is this true because I hate to spend this kind of money and see it all go to hell right away!
Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM
MalcolmX

ORIGINAL: baxternick

The XL is sweet but would cost alot more. I am pretty stuck on the Freya. One last question. I see lots of videos of these boats flipping and hitting the water pretty hard. They all seem to fair ok after the crash in the videos. Is this true most the time. I was told by a local RC boat guy that at 70+ MPH that there won't be anything left to salvage most the time. Is this true because I hate to spend this kind of money and see it all go to hell right away!
you should be ok, i've seen them flip over all the time at 70- 100mph on youtube and they're fine, and our boats will definitely flip over all the time; because it's bound to happen at high speeds ha ha !!!!!

dont forget that Freya/ mystic/ Agitator are all high quality European hulls, they're not like the Chinese versions that need reinforcing, because i was worried about this too

just make sure that your hatch cover has securing pins or similar, i'm new to all of this too, but i've done a lot of research

there was a German HPR 115 cat and it flipped at 104 mph, it flew about 60 ft , landed the right way up and then he carried on, he was trying for a SAW record.

i'm going to run my cat UNDERPOWERED for the first few months and then i'll upgrade the batteries, get a powerful motor yes, but run it slowly until i get used to it.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:59 AM
MalcolmX

quiet online today !

the only thing that worries me about flipping, is if it happens close to the water's edge and it lands on solid ground, but i guess that close in , that you'd start to throttle back.

i think you need a cheap fishing rod to cast out a line to retrieve it, when it flips over !

i'm getting Mystic in January, cant wait, your Freya will be excellent and with a 2250/9 it'll fly, this is similar to my Tenshock motor, the Lehner/plettenberg equivelant motors are way too expensive. the Neu are well priced, but too expensive to import from here in the U.K

I'm hoping that they will make my Mystic in Black Gel, they probably will; at a small extra cost to me.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:06 PM
baxternick

I wanted a mystic at first, but I can not find one in this size area. I would like the boat to be between 35-40" in length. So the freya is my next choice.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
MalcolmX

I wanted a mystic at first, but I can not find one in this size area. I would like the boat to be between 35-40" in length. So the freya is my next choice.
i am also thinking of getting the Freya as well, but i'll have to stretch my budget to 203 pounds, she is 36.5'' long.

this is because a longer hull = more weight, more stability and she'll take the bigger TENSHOCK motor, she is also wider than Mystic, about an extra 2.5''

it just depends how i feel close to purchase time.

after this, the next size up for me is probably the HPR 135 cat, but i want to gain experience first..... she will do about 127 mph with the Neu 2310/ 1Y, but i've got my eye on the Tenshock 2760/6...8 pole monster at 3800 Watts, but that's a couple of years off yet.... it's fun to dream !

Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
MalcolmX

I would be happy with 65 mph out of this boat. Anything more and I will be thrilled. As far as the motor selection goes.... I was just going to use the Lehner because it came stronly reccomended by H&M. Are the Nue motors better? What Nue motor would you use that is about the same and the lehner? Thanks
take a look at the Neu 1527/1Y, dont buy a Lehner; way too expensive

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/neu-motor-chart.htm

take a look at this chart, because you're looking for something around the 2000 to 2500 Watts region, just like the Tenshock

but ignore the 2230/1Y, because she's far too powerful for only 36'' hull, that's reserved for a 53'' Cat !!!!!! ha ha

the Mystic and Freya look like the same hull shape anyway, but the Freya is wider in scale, i think i prefer the wider hull; it looks more meaty.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 PM
MalcolmX

hull is only available in white gelcoat, he sent me an email today !

this means i'll have to redesign my decals and maybe introduce a new colour scheme, this'll keep me busy for ages!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
baxternick

Yea he told me they make 3 hulls a day and I can get on the list if I would like. So I am on the list waiting.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
MalcolmX

hi
i need to sort out this motor problem before i choose this or Mystic, buti definitely favour theFreya, but the HOR 32'' hull is only 78 quid, that's almost too good to resist, it's well over 100 quid cheaper than the other two hulls.

this is going to be a very hard decision to make

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM
baxternick

I have been looking at pictures of setups in these boats with single motors. What the heck is the nipple with a small rubber line on it comming off the flex shaft before the motor? I added a pic below to reference.

Also seems like alot of the guys in germany run dual motors over a single. Which is the best way to go?

Name:	Fd93321.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1336238  
Old 12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
eboat

It is to add oil to the flex line to lube it
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 AM
MalcolmX

I have been looking at pictures of setups in these boats with single motors. What the heck is the nipple with a small rubber line on it comming off the flex shaft before the motor? I added a pic below to reference.

Also seems like alot of the guys in germany run dual motors over a single. Which is the best way to go?
for a 32'' hull, i would go single screw only; it's not worth the hassle to go twin screw..... just my opinion.

i would only go twin screw for a 43'' or above hull, but for single screw only, just make sure you fit a powerful motor

as for the Germans, they're into SAW, so their HPR 06 hulls all have twin Plettenbergs/ lehners.....1950 or above motors, this link will tell you what they use.
http://hpr06.speedtoy.com/setup.htm

but these expensive motors are the same as the far cheaper TENSHOCK 2450! or even the monster 8 poll version at 4800 Watts! ( maybe too powerful)

oil nipple, yes, tugboats use the same too.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
MalcolmX

how's it going, any updates?

because i've got to buy something next week, it's either this or the 32'' cat.