Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Just Purchased: Aquacraft Rio EP

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Just Purchased: Aquacraft Rio EP

Old 01-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Cynicism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased: Aquacraft Rio EP

Just recived my Aquacraft Rio EP today, I ordered it from Tower Hobbies a few days back. I took it down to the local marina and ran it once so far, Itried to do different levels of throttle and not just run it flat out since the motor is new. I'm new to radio controlled so I'm not sure if that made any difference to begin with. The EP is currently powered by a 7.2 6c 2000mAh DuraTrax stick. I'm aware that is low powered, but I picked it up cheap to run the boat with while it's new. I'll be upgrading to a better pack soon, power is good.

So far I love the boat, I had to play with the rear fins to the boat wouldn't bounce so much, and adjusted the steering trim and responce levels. I got it at a fairly decent setting, least I think I do. Ido have a couple of questions, I checked the stickied post but that pretains more to LiPo batteries than the ones I'm using. So please forgvie me if a few of these have already been asked.

I'm looking for more speed, what's the strongest battery Icould run considering the ESC module is a weak link in this boat?

What's the best propeller for top speed for this model? Stock is a FRP 42mm prop, Iwas thinking of using a Grimracer metal prop which I'd balance and sharpen myself.

In the future I plan to upgrade to a Brushless and LiPo friendly ECS, while running a 3c 5000mAh. According to the sticky that was best for this size hull. What motors/ECSs would anyone recommend, cost is not a major issue. I hear the hull being made of ABS plastic could be a limitation.

Thanks for reading and for any help you may offer, I'll post some pictures once I get a chance.

First post, lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:45 AM
nick 30

Default RE: Just Purchased: Aquacraft Rio EP

i'd go with brushless from the start, motor size would be a 36mm diamater with 60mm/70mm lenght (3660/70) feigao do some good motors for a reasonable price, a 540 long or xtra long will be a good choice (around 30k rpm on 6s), when you have the motor you can then decide what esc, battery to use, i use a 100a esc (watercooled/proofed) which i'll be swapping out for 120a esc, try offshoreelectrics.com for all that you need, they can help with setups aswell
Old 01-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Cynicism

ORIGINAL: nick 30

i'd go with brushless from the start, motor size would be a 36mm diamater with 60mm/70mm lenght (3660/70) feigao do some good motors for a reasonable price, a 540 long or xtra long will be a good choice (around 30k rpm on 6s), when you have the motor you can then decide what esc,battery to use, i use a 100a esc(watercooled/proofed) which i'll be swapping out for 120a esc, try offshoreelectrics.com for all that you need, they can help with setups aswell
Thanks, I'll give them a look now. Is there anything I should know regarding choosing a good motor for high-end speed?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Hope to catch on quick.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 AM
nick 30

high end speed does'nt always come from the motor, once it hits full rpm's thats it, it all comes from a combo of electronics, mechanics, prop and hull, if your going to use 2x 3s or 1 6s battery then the fiegao 540 long will be good this will give around 35krpm's, just talk to off shore electrics but dont let them make you buy expensive stuff

heres a list

batts plus charger
rudder plus servo and link wire
esc (120a with BEC)
motor (540 L/XL)
water outlet
reciever (with BEC) and transmitter

watercooled/proofed ESC and motor, pipe work for water
BEC = Battery Elimination Circuit, no need for seperate batt to power reciever

its a long list but its what you need

when choosing an ESC, to go with the motor, the motor will have a max amps on it, lets say motor max amps is 67a, you need a speedo rated at 90a, this gives a 20% margin, most people use 60a, 120a and 200a speedo's

i was told motor kv x batt voltage = rpms, this should help to work out what kv motor you will need
Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Cynicism

I'm looking over the 540L/XL motors, but I'm not understanding which RPM/Shaft I should be looking at. What would also be the better long run investment, considering the prices are close. I'll be asking more over there once I'm able to post. Until then, would something like this work?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=dh-aqcom-2030

You also listed Rudder, Reciver, and Transmitter does that mean I have to remove most the parts that came with the Rio? Is there no way to use the 2.4GHz system that is already installed? I'm pretty happy with it's operation. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:37 AM
nick 30

having worked it out, that will be fine, you can uprate the esc at a later stage if you want faster again

it sounds like new motor, esc and battery are all that are required, you need a lipo charger aswell, go with 4s, 5000mah, 25c minimumbatt

Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Cynicism

I'm looking over the 540L/XL motors, but I'm not understanding which RPM/Shaft I should be looking at. What would also be the better long run investment, considering the prices are close. I'll be asking more over there once I'm able to post. Until then, would something like this work?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...=dh-aqcom-2030

You also listed Rudder, Reciver, and Transmitter does that mean I have to remove most the parts that came with the Rio? Is there no way to use the 2.4GHz system that is already installed? I'm pretty happy with it's operation. Thanks in advance.
I really have know idea why anyone would want to run 6s in this small boat? [:-]
the combo you listed is what I recommend, and it used 4s.. It will run mid to upper 40s with no issues at all, and possibly 50s for some speed runs..
you want a combo that will perform well with out being unable to drive the thing when you want to bash the boat..
6s in this hull is way to much unless all you want to do is SAW runs and this hull will possibly not take but only one run.
agian the combo you listed will be awesome and will push this hull to its limits!
the stock radio is awesome so don't change that, and the stock hardware will work just fine on this build, no reason to change it out..
Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Cynicism

That's great, the combo seems to have everything I'd need to drop into the boat. Plus I wanted to keep all the running hardware that came with the boat originally. The only question I have with that combo is will it mount up to the Rio EP's drive shaft?

Iplanned on running this battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9179
I also planned on using this charger: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028

From what Ican tell the Rio runs in the low teens currently, with the Aquacraft combo and that battery I should be in the 40's as you said? That would be perfect! I'm assuming I should be upgrading my propeller while I'm at this, any recommendations now that Iknow more of what I'll be running?

Thanks a ton for the advice you two.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
srt10

that battery is a great choice, and the stock prop will work good, but you may want to start with a 38mm-40mm prop to keep the speeds more in check..
you will need a different coupler for the motor, it has a 5mm shaft..
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Cynicism

So I need to find a coupler for the motor, and a adapter so that battery can be connected to the Deans style connector that is used on the Aquacraft combo. Any idea where I can find these parts? I'll be looking too, but you probably know better than I do.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:12 PM
srt10

check with OSE
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
lots of great products
Old 01-30-2010, 01:13 PM
srt10

the battey though, will not fit in the stock location..
you would need 2 2s lipos place at the sides of the hull like a SV27
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Cynicism

Hmm, is there any LiPo I could use that would fit in the stock location?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...Motor+Couplers

Which one would I need? I know the Motor I'll be buying is a 5mm, but I don't know what the Rio's shaft is. Looked in my manual, that didn't really help. I also checked the replacement part lists online and in the included paperwork. Still unsure.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
srt10

Not a 4s that will fit in the stock location unless you go with a 2500mah pack and that would just be to small..
you could go with this motor combo possibly and run 2s with the stock prop with some good speeds..
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...tem_3600kv/35A
Old 01-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Cynicism

How fast do you think that setup would push the Rio? I like the price of that one a lot more.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM
srt10

Maybe low to mid 30s?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Cynicism

I'll look into both and see what would be the best for long term. I'll post over at Offshore Electrics forums too. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:56 PM
srt10

right on man!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Cynicism

Found this motor, was wondering what you guys would think of running it in my boat.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=5146

Price is good, and it is water cooled so I can use my existing setup, or at least I think I can. It has a 5mm shaft, so I'd have to pick up the 5mm to .130 coupler from Offshore, according to them it would work perfectly for the Rio. Just looking around at all the options before I buy a motor.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 PM
srt10

Awesome find!
Looks like ill get one of those for one of my Rios and run it on 3s!
Should see high 30s on 3s with the stock prop
Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Cynicism

Great, I'd love to see high thirties for a low cost motor. Plus I wonder if running in the fifties would be overkill for the boat. Irun at a local brackish water marina. The main area I run is sheltered and the water is usually very calm, but Ilike to take it out into the rougher waves for some nice jumping action. The Rio handles the rough water beautifully!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Boat_ESC

Think that is a good ESCto run with the motor? Also, would a 3s fit in the stock location?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
srt10

That esc will work great, and my 5000mah 30c packs fit snug in my Rios
Old 01-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Cynicism

Awesome, you've been a big help! Now I have a shopping list for upgrading. Should have everything within two weeks. I'll post up a build thread with some pictures when I have all the parts. As for the Rio running, I have noticed one thing. The rear right rudder seems to always point towards the left side, as it has no connection to hold it dead straight. When turning right, both come back to dead center. When turning left however, they seem to stay off to the left from center.

Any ideas on how to fix these two issues? Aside from those, and some water getting inside the boat is perfect.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
srt10

Check the rudders and make sure everthing is set up right..
Sounds like something is loose

FE boats are adictive!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Cynicism

This one is a bit cheaper, and can handle more current. Also comes with BEC. Thoughts on which one to get?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Boat_ESC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.