Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going brushless???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Thinking about going brushless???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM
wannagofast115

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going brushless???

Hi everyone i usually spend most of my time in the gas boat section since thats all i ever owned so far. But I recently baught a bare apache hull 65" long. Its pretty expensive to power this thing with gas motors but i was wondering if a single or twin brushless motors would be enough to push this thing i would like to run in 40's minimum. If so what else would i need type of batterys and speed controls? A real newb to putting together an electric boat. Thanks
Scott
Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Thinking about going brushless???

big hull will take a good amount of cash, and possibly more going brushless
the RCMK motor would be cheaper in my opinion overall
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
wannagofast115

Well theres someone selling a couple of brushless motors in the for sale section and i was wondering if two of those would be enough to power this hull? I think there nemisis 12xl brushless motors?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
wannagofast115

Heres some pics of the hull i have plenty of room for almost anything i guess what would be a good single or twin setup that wont break the bank? Thanks

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 AM
srt10

you will need more power!
one of those motors would be killer in a DF29 on 6s
but in this BIG thing, not so good, you will see smoke [:-]
you need something like this on 8s and 10s
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...runner&cat=135
and you could see mid to upper 40's, on 12s+ you will see 50's
I would build a smaller brushless boat if you have never gone this side of FE before, you don't want to smoke a motor speed control and lipos
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: wannagofast115
Its pretty expensive to power this thing with gas motors but i was wondering if a single or twin brushless motors would be enough to push this thing
Hi Scott.

Gas Boats are usually cheaper than FE boats when size and performance are equal. The motor I would recommend is over $600 and the ESC would be about $500. Batteries alone would total around $200-500. Plus a charger and power supply if you don't already have one - $200.

This would not be your typical first boat type of setup. At that level you should be quite familiar with FE power. If not it could be costly and very frustrating.

I'm sure an inline stock Zeneoah setup would be around $1000-1200 with pipes. It may be a better solution to stick with what you are use to unless you are confident in moving towards a different power source.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
wannagofast115

Would there be any other options a little cheaper im not trying set records but would like be in the 40's. Im looking at motors in the for sale section they are 2 fine design 12xl brushless motors would that be alright for this boat?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
srt10

Would there be any other options a little cheaper im not trying set records but would like be in the 40's. Im looking at motors in the for sale section they are 2 fine design 12xl brushless motors would that be alright for this boat?
read along with your post
you need more power, this is a big hull for any motor to push
you want to do 40's well that's going to take a good amount of power
even a stock Zehn motor will push this big hull, mid to upper 30's
Old 05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
wannagofast115

It would take a modded single zen to get it probably in the mid 30's. The original motor that came in this boat is a 7hp zen and that made the boat run in the 40's a stock zen makes only 2.9hp so that probably will barely get me in the 30's.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM
srt10

It would take a modded single zen to get it probably in the mid 30's. The original motor that came in this boat is a 7hp zen and that made the boat run in the 40's a stock zen makes only 2.9hp so that probably will barely get me in the 30's.
WOW!
looks like you answered you own question about getting 40's out of this hull going brushless [:-]
so you need 7HP = over 5,000watts continuous
you will need 10s +
Old 05-18-2010, 08:35 PM
wannagofast115

Yes lol your right but the whole point is i dont know much about the electric so when you say 10's i dont know what that means? I mean you have to remember power to wait is also greater with gas motor probably not sure but with gas you have a heavy motor fuel? I would think that electric would be lighter but with the size boat i have maybe not im just trying to find out the things i would need run on electric... Size motors batterys what size and how many and a speed control that i dont much at all about. If anyone has any pics of there setups on larger boats that would be great. Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Setting this hull up for fe power would be quite a challenge to build and operate by someone new to fe. Have you read the stickied thread yet on his forum? This will answer several of the smaller less specific questions that you may have.

You would need a motor similar to the Neu 2230 series. An esc similar to the hydra hv 240 from castle and ten lipo cells in series and two in parallel. That is 10s2p. The batteries alone would be around eight pounds.

AgAin I would read the stickied thread if you haven't already.

Ryan
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
srt10

Yes lol your right but the whole point is i dont know much about the electric so when you say 10's i dont know what that means? I mean you have to remember power to wait is also greater with gas motor probably not sure but with gas you have a heavy motor fuel? I would think that electric would be lighter but with the size boat i have maybe not im just trying to find out the things i would need run on electric... Size motors batterys what size and how many and a speed control that i dont much at all about. If anyone has any pics of there setups on larger boats that would be great. Thanks
this boat setup for FE will be heavier than gas
and my guess, you will have more money to run electric than going gas