Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Old 03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
sundogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

I only get to the lake every now and then so data will be in spurts. I had bought a small assortment of plastic props to try: a 30, 31, 32 tri blade, 34, 35 and a 35 tri blade. And 30 & 32mm Taiwan brass props that were supposedly 'factory' balanced and sharpened for 20 bucks each. But I thought I should have a means to check them before use. So I just bought a Tenshock magnetic balancer ($20) and am glad I had, as they both need a little work to get them right. FTR, the plastic props I've checked were a little off too, but wouldn't matter as much since they are so light weight, there is little mass for wobble.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Research

ORIGINAL: Rake

Cheers Chaps.

I take it that its not the cloth stuff ? There are variants called ''stick Tape'' and ''Sock Tape'' One for keeping your socks up and one for the grip on the stick.
In any case I juust ordered some freezer tape that is water proof so will try that.

Now....An update.

I got fed up of being in dry dock so took the chance with my wobbly coupling and fitted that 4800KV Inrunner, the old stock ESC beleived to be a suppo 30A SS and my old 2S 2450mah cells and took to the water.

Its a winner.

The boat sits higher in the water as its not as heavy and not as much cavitation by a mile.
Speed was very good indeed. Maybe not quite as fast as the 4S config but as mentioned by sdz - I can prop up.
The motor temp was excellent. Not hot at all and run time was a good 10 minutes.

I managed a few jumps off the wake / waves and she stayed level so COG is good even with the cell in the left sponson.

I'm beggining to think that the 4S thing makes the boat too heavy and leads to cavitation, over heating and ESC problems.
I am also wondering if the seemingly poorly balanced coupling was the cause of my overheating motor now or not.

Either way I am quite happy with the 4800kv setup so far. Will charge up and take her out again in a bit.

Thanks again all.

R.
So are you using 3s I presume with a 4800kv motor? Then you are hitting 53,280KV at the motor. Let us know how it runs and the battery placement. I'm interested at the maximum kv that may be run and still have good runtime and be stable.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
sundogz

No, it says he's using a 2S lipo.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Rake

As sdz said - 2S and about 35,400 rpm.

nickster has done alot of testing with 4S and 3S at high KV motors and has been nick named the BBQ a a result

PekkaL was on 4S 2600 and moved to 2S 4800 and preffers that setup.

I wanted max power on 4S 1600mah with 2600KV and have had nothing but trouble up to now....

Gimme a week or so and I'll confirm the reliability of my newly found light but fast setup. As you may have noticed, if I can mess something up - I do. lol
Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Research

ORIGINAL: sundogz

No, it says he's using a 2S lipo.
Ah, ok missed it. That sounds better, 35520kv, that is where I would think is a good spot. I'm finding the hull can take speeds of motor of 38,539kv and still run flat on 3s.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 PM
nickster46

YES FINALLY!! I was able to run the small bolt yesterday!
First I had to place my Flysky RX in the hull. I waterproofed it a different way than mentioned above: I used Easy Gasket, an automotive product to seal all the holes and connectors and I put it on the entire RX. It works and I don;t have to use a baloon wich will always hold some moisture in it.
The Easy Gasket (brand Innotec) is easy to use and dries fast.

Than I had to solder gold connectors on my brand new Turnigy 1.3 nanos (2x 2s) and I was able to give it a try.
The result was satisfying: I almost forgot about the speed and the torque but there was a big smile on my face.
The Nanos were doing good, but runtime was a bit short, but that was due to me running foll throttle all the time. In my perception it was done after 4 minutes. The motor wasn't hot, the Nanos a little warm (not hot) but not as hot as my old el cheapo 2s cells.
I think I am happy with the Turnigy cells and I had plenty of space in the hull so maybe i'll check out HobbyKing's for another pair of 2s cells or maybe one 4s battery with a little more capacity.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Rake

Hi nick. Good news dude. I use 1600 nano and get at least ten mins. Maybe worth a try. Hoe low does yours sit in the water ? Does the back end sit a bit too low ?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 PM
nickster46

Hi Rake,

that's funny. I just ordered (the last two) 1600mah 4s at hobbyking's. I hope this will work for me. And I think 1 4s cell will be bether dan 2x 2s in serie.
The rear sits not very low. It floats nice, maybe it is because I have my esc in the front side of the motor mount and my RX too. But as you know, the FlySky RX is very tiny and isn't heavy enough to have any influence I guess.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Rake

Hmm intertesting. I think my last sinking was because my back end sits so low that the end section of the hatch is covered with water.
Can you take a pic of your internal arrangement nick ?

Many thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM
nickster46

Yes I will, I have to do it this afternoon so I am trying to post it this afternoon.
I only have got my steering servo on the back side of the motor mount, all the other electrics are in front of the mount.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:45 AM
Rake

Thanks, will be interesting to see how you make it all fit.

I just broke my prop so good excuse to buy a set IF I can find some locally ! Everything seems to be from HK which means dry dock again.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Research

I don't find that 2445 motors are common and hence motor cooling jackets aren't either. Well I find that you can get a 28mm water jacket to work.

Here's how: I used these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-tube-2848-380-cooler.html. Here is the trick. Go to Home Depot. In the faucets department look for the clear boxes for the Danco Faucet O-Ring. Use # 17 O-Ring. They are 1-1/16" O.D. X 7/8" I.D. X 3/32". It fits just right.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Research

ORIGINAL: Rake

Thanks, will be interesting to see how you make it all fit.

I just broke my prop so good excuse to buy a set IF I can find some locally ! Everything seems to be from HK which means dry dock again.
OSE has plenty props that fit, go look. http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/categories.php?cat=16

They have plastic and metal.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
nickster46

HiRake,

It didn't made a picture from my boat, sorry. But it was too late when I got home. But I owe you the picture so I will post it asap.
What prop are you after? I use the Octura x432 and I am very satisfied with it, it is strong, sharpened and balanced and the boat planes a lot better.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Rake

Cheers Guys.

I'm in the UK and was hoping to get one sooner rather than later.

At present I am on the stock prop. Wanted to prop up but was going to take it in stages from 27mm -> 30mm -> 31mm etc.

I may have to go octura metal if I can find anything local. Its the sharpening and balancing I wanted to avoid

So nick - you run 4S, stock motor and 432 prop ? Something wrong with my 4S setup as it was never a success.
Maybe crappy ESC ?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 AM
nickster46

Yes, I do use 4s on the stock motor and the octura x432.
I use the 60A waterproofed and watercooled esc as stated a few pages ago.
everythink runs fine for me. no problems at all, what are your problems about?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Rake

Overheating motor really and erratic running.

Motor began bleeping and cutting out after 5 minute runs. thought it was binding or

it was due to wobbling coupling at flex end but so far on 2S with 4800kv all is well.

I got 2 good runs from my 4S setup before things got weird. As far as I know my ESC looks the same as yours. Pic is on previous page.

I did have wetness in the hull so possibly this was the problem. In 2 ESC's I found burnt FETs.

I am now on stock ESC 2S and 4800kv - no issues. Got a new ESC 60A here and will go back to 4S to test at some point soon.

Would love to figure out whats going on with my 4S setup to be honest. I may even invest in a better ESC when I stop sinking boats
Old 04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Rake

Well I'm in possesion of a new prop - same ole plastic 27mm and head out to enjoy the 2S 4800KV setup and it works a treat.

Really quite pleased with it. Goes quite fast enough, cant tell the difference between 4S 2600 kv and 2S 4800KV setups by eye which is good.

Props to sundogz for suggesting that he was going this way as its a winner so far. After a good 10 - 15 mins she still had lots of life in her yet.
Motor cool to the touch cells only just warm ESC cool. Time for bigger props I think. All this on the stock ESC to boot.

I got me some etti hatch tape - no more hatch leaks.

Only snag was that my run was curtailed by a glitch. At one point I backed off the throttle and the bolt just kept on hoofing straight into the pond wall.
Got her back by hand and she has split down the left sponson and the section between the sponsons too. There is even a crack extending from the front fo where the sponsons meet to the hatch
apperture. Minor setback - epoxy should do the job nicely.

I am still getting water up the stuffing tube and the Rx is getting a sprinkling from the motor and i guess that was the cause of the glitch.
Gonna fix this with more shrinkwrap and balloon the Rx just for splashproofness.

All in all very pleased. Wish I had gps gear to tell the speed as it was definatley good.

pics attached.

any tips for getting resin into hairline cracks chaps ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78965.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1587090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53278.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1587091  
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
sundogz

Ouch! That one hit hard. If you can clean the crack so it closes up (without holding it closed) I would use super glue. Pry it open a bit, run a bead of glue in the crack, and hold it closed for 30 seconds. If it stays together, drip some on the inside and tilt to distribute it all along the crack. You'll need a mirror to see that you've done well. Then when it dries run another bead. That should seal it.

A better way might be epoxy and fiberglass tape from the inside, but I don't think it's feasible to get inside the sponson proper. You could also tape/epoxy the outside after cleaning off the paint. That part is not in the water under speed. And it might reinforce things for the next bash! Pretty is as pretty does!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Rake

Cheers sdz,

She was full throttle when she lost control. At least it didnt sink this time

Just about to get the epoxy out and was wondering about superglue.

I'll see if I can clean it up and get it to close as suggested. For the beam, I could drip epoxy in from the nside but not along the sponson as you said.

not got tape to hand so will go with what I have for now and see if it holds up, if not - strip down time and I'll paint it up all pretty to boot.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Rake

Job done.

superglue held, then attacked from the inside with epoxy. Now standing nose down while the gue settles to the right places.

It aint so pretty but it will do till its time do her up all nice.

Thanks once again.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 PM
tremblay7
My Feedback: (1)

Can anyone tell me how this watercooled brushless and esc work. Not sure but no water flowing. This bolt hauls butt, just want too be able to cool the motor as its hot as heck after just a minute run on a 3 cell 1800 mah.
Thanks,Eric
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Research

Hopefully your drive-line is not binding making you think the heat is from the cooling system not something else.

The water cooling works by the movement of the boat thought the water. The hole in the rudder would force water up the rudder under pressure and force it into the ESC then the motor. While the boat is running you should see water coming out of the water outlet on that back of the hull. If you are not something is clogging the water line. Check the rudder. I bored mine out larger for 1 mm and found obstructions in it from the factory. You should be able to blow into the exit line on the hull with an air can and get air coming out of the rudder pretty well if it's not clogged.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM
tremblay7
My Feedback: (1)

This helps, Thanks. Whats the best way to test this system. I just set the boat up and as you most likeley know the instructions are very limited. I Fly planes and this is my first Boat with water cooling system. Tried to find a digram for the set-up but nothing so far. I can blow into the opening in the back of the boat and yes it's clear, not like blowing into a straw but the air does travel through. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Rake

Well all is well again with mine. The repair worked a treat and we enjoyed the bolt at the pond today. Water was a little choppy and had the crazy little thing jumping two foot long off the bumps and drew a load of questions and attention from passage by. I initially thought that going 2s would give less run time but I got at least 15 mins off a full lipo which is not at all bad. When she hit the lvc I checked the temps by hand and motor cool cell warm and esc warm. So far so good and on the stock esc too. Got some of the bigger props coming soon to check before going to octura x432. Glad to have had a drama free session !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.