Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Thats because the motor is not 2.3mm it is 2.2mm and the couplers are made to 2.3mm

My old drive line had bind in it as well. Now I have none of these issues.

The old flex square on the end was not concentric which made it have issues. Shes real smooth now. Upgrade and you will never look back!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may well be right bass. I guess the new coupling might not be too well balanced too.
    Will re trace your previous posts and look into this upgrade next week.

I put the old coupling back on today and took it out but the result was disappointing. The back end dug in in it was difficult to get it beyond cavitation onto a plane. When it did plane it was great. I am guessing that the drive was binding as there were surges of power and possibly some clunking. The confusing thing was that nothing was hot after ten minutes of this. I would have thought that at least the motor would be hot. The motor shaft does move about 3 mm back and forth so I wonder if that accounts for the clunks.

Bass can you please send me your pay pal as I want one of your couplings ?

Cheers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well well. Success at last. Took a few mil off the flex and it worked wonders.
    I'm upto a 30mm prop now and it blooming flys. No issues at all today so I'm am stoked.
    Even on the bigger prop all was cool. Time for a thirty two mm.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where did you take a few mill off from (on the flex)?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Took it off the coupler end sdz. Made a world of difference. Managed to deplete 2 lipos and had a swim too

Rake your using the stock engine correct??
    Put a \"WRAP\" on it vinyl and graphics are my specialty!
    Contact me in you are in need of any and all decals or lettering!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: spede18

Rake your using the stock engine correct??
    No spede I am on a 4800kv with 2s 40c 2200mah turnigy.

I changed flex last week and figure that I might have cut it a little long. But not sure.

Thanks Iwasn't sure and didn't want to go back and read through everything to figure it out.
    Glad to hear you've got it going better now lets see some Video!!

Put a \"WRAP\" on it vinyl and graphics are my specialty!
    Contact me in you are in need of any and all decals or lettering!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That would be great if I could get someone to shoot it. I will try for sure though.

Now I want to refine the drive and get her on a 32mm prop

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im down to one coupler of each. Did you want one Rake?

I cant promise I will make these again. Im sure sometime in the future I could- but it will be when I have a need to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes bass I will have one for a 2.2mm shaft please.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, Managed to get out again this morning and the success is sustained ! 4 Runs no issues now.
    I am confident that she is now fixed and I hope once and for all.

On the 30mm prop she is fast. Very nice to run too.
    I've installed an ETTI Antenna holder to boot.

I got a couple of little vids with my iphone in one hand and gun in the other - not ideal but gives a little impression.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycT6zHGYAcQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzNNt4Eigyg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Not pretty but gives an idea !

Scores are as follows -

Run time on 2S 2200mah 40C = 10mins almost always full throttle.
    Cell Temp - Warm but not hot.
    Motor Temp - Cool
    ESC Temp - Cool

The ETTI seems to be handling it well, throttle control is so much better than before.

Torque roll is there for sure even with the lipo in the left sponson but its not too much of an issue.

Time to try it on a 32mm next but have to fix transom - see pic.

Do you guys reccon a dab of resin to fix this or strip down and reinforce with stronger material ? if so - what ? Ply ?
    The join between top and bottom parts of the hull seems to have broken and if I hit anything - its gonna come off.

All in all a very pleased chap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq49010.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	1595548  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Rake,
    your boat seems a little beaten up ! haha
    but if it runs good that's no problem.
    I received from HK a package with my 2x 4s nano's.
    I soldered gold connectors to them and gave it a try.
    They are a bit heavier than my 2x 2s combination and they just fit in the hull, I had to move the motor cables as fas as backwards as it could because I couldn't close the hull because of the height of the batteries. But I succeeded.
    So I gave it a try and I expected the bolt to be a little slower because of the weight but I was surprised to see the bolt handle the weight.
    I think there is not quite a big noticeable difference between the 2x 2s combo and the 1x 4s combo, except from the charging time, and the double pair of gold connectors I had to solder onto the 2x 2s combo.
    Oh, and runtime was a bit increased but that's no surprise:2x 2s = 1.3's and the 4s is 1.6.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H ha - indeed she is very beat up but watch this space.

Once I have all here issues sorted - which I think I now have, I'm gonna dress her up real nice with a paint job etc.
    Just gotta fix that transom now. I'm considering fibreglass as opposed to ply. just need to be sure it will stick nice.

Good to hear you got your 4S in place and result is good. I'm sure I will visit 4S land again soon nick.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What colors are you gonna paint the bolt?
    I played with the idea of painting it too, but I decided no go!
    I guess it will be a tougher job than I expect and the last thing I want is to screw up my bolt with a bad paint job.
    But maybe, on a nice sunny day, I decide to paint it! The white colour is a bit lame I guess.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I was thinking blue and white.

White bass coat followed by blue detail. As its called the small bolt I was messing around with the idea of lightening bolt decals or paint detail.

She is darn ugly at the moment and I can see myself enjoying pereping and painting her. I used to build kite surf boards in a previous life and enjoyed it greatly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder! Or 'ugly is as ugly does' in which case she's a beauty. If it were mine, I'd removed everything on the transom and glass it, making sure to overlap the top and bottom 8-10mm. No need for ply there. Good video for running and photo-ing at the same time. Looks like you found a bigger pond! A 32mm prop should bring temps up, but hopefully not too hot. Will be fast then, donchaknow!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Said SDZ,

I used to ride motor bikes inanother life too and RAT was the only way to go

Pond wise - that was the pond she crashed in lol. There is a bigger one just further down but it was a mite too choppy on there.
    Once this repair is done its 32mm time. Lets try.

So glass then ? I would usually use Epoxy and say 200 gram fabric but the guy in the model shop suggested polyester resin.
    What would you suggest ?

Gonna be difficult to get it up agains the transom from the inside but I'm game.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think polyester is more resilient (what they tell me) and is what the gel-coal is frequently made of, but I like good old epoxy as it sticks well, and is rock hard when cured. And you don't need the transom to be flexible! I had a problem with carbon fabric unraveling while trying to set it in place. But found if you run a small line of superglue (I used this stuff for everything!) and cut through it, it will stay intact while placing/moving it into position. Matter of fact, you could bend/form a transom insert (superglue doesn't stick to sandwich wrap) and when it's just right - just epoxy it in place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a plan.

I used to use good old cellotape to stop it fraying but on something this small CA is a good idea.

Not quite sure I followed you on the transom insert bit though....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's possible to use superglue as a hardening agent, so you could possibly preform a transom 'liner', then epoxy it in place. But 'stick with what you know' is always good advice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gotcha.

Well the plan is as follows.

I made a Extruded polystyrene insert that I'll wrap in cling film hoping that the sp113 wont stick to it.

I'll then use this insert to push the resin and glass against the transom from inside and hold it in place while it cures.

I'll then hopefully be able to remove the foam insert leaving the repair in place.

Just an idea !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Guys, goodmorning. just a little offtopic, but also a little bit ontopic:
    ( I am not trying to hijack this thread so this will be my only posts about this subject).

As I mentioned before I also have a NQD Arrow wind, also does Sundogz. But yesterday I gave it a try and decided to build in my new 60A esc and my new FlySky RX to try it. I always had a big big water leak issue. Several servo's and RX's died because of it. So I now put everything in a balloon and sealed it with hot glue and easy gasket.
    But after a couple of runs I still had the major water leak. The entire hull was full of water. I also discovered that the shaft angle was wrong so the nose is pushed down into the water, so the back comes up and than the effect of pulling the handbrake on your car was the result.
    So I went looking for a flex shaft, coupler, strut etc. etc. and I discovered that this conversion is going to cost me more than I paid for the NQD arrow wind. I have the idea I never get this Arrow Wind running as good and dry as the Small Bolt so I decided to throw the towel in the ring.

But I wanted a boat for wave jumps and running in rough water, So I went looking on the Hobby King website and I saw a couple of boats wich I thought were good for the job. There was also the NTN-400 boat, and..

ONTOPIC:
    .... as a surprise: It has exactely the same hardware (motor and esc and servo) as the Small Bolt. So I let the other boats go and with a little help from the low USD/EUR conversion rate I decided to order this boat. I am pretty confident with the hardware in the small bolt and I still have a 60A esc reserve. After some thinking and youtube movies (they were all running 3s LIPO) I decided this was my best bet. Not in the last place because of all the Small Bolt parts I have as spare. I am going to run it on 4s, just as the small bolt, and I will try my Octura X432 to see if it works. I than maybe going to try a X435 on the small or either the NTN-400.

Maybe if some of you guys are looking for a second boat, to run it on rougher water than the Small Bolt can handle, this might be a great option.

link http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11979

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nick, that is a good looking boat to be sure. Yeah, on the Arrow wind you have to tear it completely down - split the hulls and seal all seams. And you have to use a strut and flexshaft to get the right prop angle. It is a lot of work - this boat will be in the water much sooner. Good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know I have to replace the shaft etc. I already totally sealed everything on the boat. The only way the water could get in is through the shaft.
    And I have searched for some hardware. a flex shaft and coupler etc. but the only things Ican find are quite expensive, and I don't have the insurance that the Arrow Wind will than be without problems.
    Sun, can you provide me some links from the hardware you used?

Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast