Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Old 05-07-2011, 05:45 AM
sundogz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Wow, that is good news! Consider not selling the other, but keep it for a backup. At least until you become more confident in the Flysky. I just got done waterproofing all 11 of my receivers with Liquid Tape clear spray-on. Took them all apart, sprayed on 2 coats waiting a few hours in between coats (used masking tape to cover the plug prongs). And re-assembled. Diesel has a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1421881#post18171047]video[/link] of one working underwater! after being treated this way - it sold me. I wasn't going to use any until I waterproofed the all.

On another note - I guess I am not going to do this LED mod after all. I had planned to install a blinking led wired to the switch and to a trace on the board, but after disassembling it I found the large LCD covered the area I needed to tap, and everything is surface-mount technology (tiiiiiiny). So have put that on a back burner for now. May attempt it on a later date, preferably after taking a shot of tequila.[:-]
Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 AM
msmail715

Rake, you should have a machine shop do it.  Ream in a lathe or milling machine tell them you need an accurate bore, should be minimal or no cost. I am a tool maker and machinist by trade. If you talk to one of these guys there may be no cost.The hardware you have looks good. I use a tactic 2.4 GHZ two channel receiver, it requires no antenna. I push the receiver up in the left front sponson until it stops, then put a few drops of silicone on the edge. Eliminating the antenna should be worth some speed. I have over 50 runs on my bolt the only problem I have had was a steering servo.I am very pleased with the boat.
     After watching videos on you tube I ordered a Piranha 400 if I had a bigger pond I would have gone with the 600.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Rake you will need a small gap between the drive dog and strut. I left about 1mm to a 1/16" or so.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:24 AM
Rake

Thanks guys. Bass I did leave a gap but with the forward backward play in the motor shaft it does butt up to the strut when pushed. When pulled there is 1/16. Hope it's ok. The one piece drive does seem to spin more freely and appears an improvement indeed
Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 AM
sundogz

Yes, that is a good starting point. You don't want it to tranfer the torque to the motor bearing, you just want to leave a little gap to allow shrinkage of the cable when under way (which will be minimal with so short a cable).
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Basstronics

Adjust the coupler so when it is pushed up there is a slight air gap. The drill depth isnt perfect- all done by eye. Issue is easily overcome though.

I would maintain that 1mm gap at the drive dog. I also have a teflon washer there just in case.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Rake

Thanks again,

Very nearly there now.

I used the .098 liner inside the .125 liner - works a treat.

Gap left and teflon washer in.

New Savox servo fitted, should be on the water next non windy day.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Rake

Quick Q.

Any ideas on how to remove those 2 button head bolts that secure the motor to the mount ater having thread locked them in place ?
The 1.5mm allens have rounded.

If I cut the heads off they will still be held by the thraed locker.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:26 PM
sundogz

I'm betting your allen wrench is at fault. Screws are quite hard, but wrenches get rounded easily. I have a grinder with an aluminum oxide (fine) wheel and I just grind the end of back a few mm's and am usually good to go. Next time use lockwashers!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Basstronics

Its a button head- notorious for rounding off. Any good machinist and/or machine builder will tell you this. Also note the fastner is stainless stell- much softer than the black socket heads. I had the same issue.

What thread locker do you use? Chances are you are screwed... lol Best bet maybe a thin slice with the dremel and use brass flat like a big screwdriver? Just throwing it out- Ive done this before with great success.

Replace the bolts with socket head cap screws! Best $1 upgrade there is.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 PM
sundogz

You may be right Bass - it may well be the screw. But it is worth the try to either use a different allen wrench or grind down the first to new metal. I think why it has worked so many times for me is after grinding it leaves some feathered on one side, and that bit of extra metal serves to get a tighter grip. Anyways, it's worth a try - it has worked for me in the past. Socket head screws are deeper/better, and lockwashers preferred over locktite in this situation.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Rake

I had used spring washers but they still kept vibrating loose.

Head is well and truely rounded. Tried a new key.

Will have to try to cut a groove in it somehow. Otherwise lose the head and use a different set of holes in the motor.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 AM
smallbolt

hi i have this boat http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Rocket-Fi...item5d2ccfd650 it currently has the stock copper 30mm prop on it i was wondering if i could go to a 42mm without burning out the motor or stuffing the boat.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-76mm-42mm-R...item1e634a51e0
Old 05-09-2011, 03:03 AM
nickster46

you should give it a try. Just as we all did with the small bolts, as you read most of us has fried some esc's and/or motors
it also depend on what batteries you use, the higher kv motors needs a smaller prop because of the lack of torque.
So it is just a trial&error case..
Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Rake

Right,

She's ready to rock and roll again.

Even managed to tin the ends of the flex.

First run will be on 4S with a 30mm prop. I'll then switch to 2S and compare but it won't be till Wedsday as its blowing 20mph here.

Do you guys waterproof your lipo's ? If so how ?

Something made 2 £25 traxxas 2065 servo's blow on my setup and I am not sure what but dont want it to happen again.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 AM
nickster46

I didn't waterproof my lipos. That is not necessary, because there is no water in my hull. But there was somebody here, I can't remember who it was , who sank his Bolt to the bottom of the lake.. and after a few weeks he recovered it, and the lipos where just working..
Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 AM
Rake

ORIGINAL: nickster46

I didn't waterproof my lipos. That is not necessary, because there is no water in my hull. But there was somebody here, I can't remember who it was , who sank his Bolt to the bottom of the lake.. and after a few weeks he recovered it, and the lipos where just working..

Ha ha, yes I remember that chump

I have had to take that back, both lipo's started puffing after being charged fully so I got rid of them.

I thought of puching some silicone ito the wire exit.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 AM
sundogz

ORIGINAL: smallbolt

hi i have this boat http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Rocket-Fi...item5d2ccfd650 it currently has the stock copper 30mm prop on it i was wondering if i could go to a 42mm without burning out the motor or stuffing the boat.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4-76mm-42mm-R...item1e634a51e0
It might be prudent to try a 32mm prop and work your way up. Check it after a minute or so to see if the temperature of the battery and esc are not too hot. The you can try a larger prop, say, a 34mm. If you jump right up to a 42mm and burn things up, you'll have to start all over again because you won't know the limit.

Rake, I don't waterproof my lipos but it doesn't sound like a bad idea, as I've had some go bad because of a solder connection (could have corroded). Be sure to use non acidic silicon.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Rake

I stripped one of the nano techs that weas at the bottom of the lake back to reveal the tabs - no corrosion at all.

I just wonder if the short out if too much water gets in ...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:19 AM
sundogz

I would think not unless you run in salt water. Fresh water doesn't conduct electricity very well, and you should have ample time to recover before it runs down below 3.2v
Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
nickster46

that's right sdz, I also think the lipos died bacause of lack of voltage. I also had once with a set of lipos, when my cutoff was wrong.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Rake

Well guys what can I say.

Aweful run this morning considering the amount of effort put in to this hobby over such a short time I'm close to burning out after this morning.

Bolt 2 has now suffered the same fate as bolt 1 and I am indeed thinking of going to live in a glass case or getting an exorsist.

Story goes like this -

put her on the water, hit the throttle, great up and running no issues. did a couple of rounds of the lake and took my finger off the throttle to slow down and guess what - she goes full speed into the wall again.
no response to letting the throttle go it just kept on going. She has split as bolt 1 and sank to the bottom. Recovered half an hour later by drysuit and stick wafting.

I am very confused as to why this keeps happening. The Rx was warerproofed, so was the new servo, ESC is waterproof.
The Rx was even in a balloon. I just dont understand. Any theories greatfully received.

Not sure which way to go now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55496.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1606542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83900.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1606543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72095.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1606544  
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
nickster46

That sounds exactely the same as I had with my Flysky and the FG Marder, but than it is always happening after I reached a distance further than 50meters.

I think your best bet is an exorcist or a priest. Did you set up the failsafe? If you had setup the failsafe than the RX is malfunctioning due to short circuit or something.
How did you waterproof the esc? because if you don't put ez gasket or liquid tape spray or something like that on the esc there will always be some moisture inside the balloon! Some people advise to always put the esc out of the balloon after each run, but I think that is not necessary if you wrap it in electrical tape and ez gasket or something like that.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Rake

Hi Nick,

The Rx was water proofed with liquid plastic and was in a balloon.
Failsafe was set up but then again I have a new Tx so may have not set it for that
Tx / Rx Combo.

The ESC is fully cased in silicone, the ETTI ESC is fully waterproof. It was working when I pulled the boat out of the water.
Was a new balloon so no moisture.

I looked at the board in the Rx and some of the liquid plastic has balloons in it so I wonder if it has failed to waterproof fully.

I gotta decide if this hull is a loss or can be repaired. If its a loss HK sell new hull only. Wondering whether to bother or buy that kite !

The only other thing I can think of is water on the connectors of the Rx but I dont know if that would cause the lack of response to the throttle.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 AM
sundogz

You certainly have the best crash photos in this forum! When folks go the the races, they really go to see the crashes, and you give them their money's worth to be sure! Sorry, I just had to get a jab in there. Were you using the same transmitter as when you crashed the other time? Maybe it's a glitchty TX, and going to another may clear up the problem.

You know when you get a ding in your car and right after you get that fixed, you get another ding somewhere else. But (if you) don't fix it, you're likely to not get hit again for some mysterious reason. I don't know where I'm going with this, just trying to cheer you up some~ Good thing you have a spare boat, eh? But about expensive - that it is and will always be. You just try to get more fun out of your $$ - that is the challenge. Sorry Ron. Thing are bound to pick up. Unless you really are located on some ancient burial ground..........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.