Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

ORIGINAL: nickster46
    Does anybody have an idea about my boat is running slow with the alternative ESC?or shouldn't this be a problem?
    You DEFINITELY should use 3S LiPo. And no more 2200mAh, because of weight.
    You can try 2S and put prop with much bigger diameter, but it's bad idea.
    2S 5000mAh and standart prop - it will never plane... Sorry.

About your ESC - you can try to repair it if you now how to solder SMD components. (Read my review). If not - wait for replacement, but... What seller have answered to you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Yura

Does anybody have an idea about my boat is running slow with the alternative ESC?or shouldn't this be a problem?
    You DEFINITELY should use 3S LiPo. And no more 2200mAh, because of weight.
    You can try 2S and put prop with much bigger diameter, but it's bad idea.
    2S 5000mAh and standart prop - it will never plain... Sorry.

About your ESC - you can try to repair it if you now how to solder SMD components. (Read my review). If not - wait for replacement, but... What seller have answered to you?
    I have 3Sordered. Just waiting for them to arrive now. The 5000mah 2S was way too heavy indeed. So I hope the solution is in the smaller 3S lipo.
    Seller hasn't answered yet. I send him 2 e-mails. So I now opened a case on ebay. the verdict will be august 17th. But I can't wait until that so I immediately ordered a new ESC and when the seller sends me a new ESC too, I will have a spare one.
    I hope my new ESC will arrive this week (and my 3Slipo's too)so I can test them.

Now I have two boats: one with a malfunctioning ESC and one with a broken shaft. Both the boats are ready to run when one of the parts arrive.
    Right now in Holland the weather is good so it's really sad I can't run

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here in Russia we wait for 1-1.5 months
    So when ESC died, but the weather is SUPER I even haven't thought about replacing it, (especially if need to send it back to seller)
    Can you provide the link to the ESC you've ordered? I've searched for an ESC, but haven't found any, that fit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AI 1-1.5 months is very long time. But I guess I wouldn't think about my boat either when I had to wait such a long time.
    This is the ESC I ordered http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    I ordered it for my Rigger but I guess it will do the job in de Small Bolt as well.
    What do you mean with 'an ESC that will fit' ? You mean the size? or maybe the spec in collaboration with the other setup?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have anybody mentioned, that this boat turn to right better than to left?
    I think it's probably because running prop decrease water pressure at the left side of the rudder. No?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is the ESC I ordered http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    What do you mean with 'an ESC that will fit' ? You mean the size? or maybe the spec in collaboration with the other setup?
    Seems you find good ESC and at the good price. I haven't searched for it on ebay...

Fit? I mean Amp rating, weight, availability for 3S or 4S, waterproof (sealed at the ends).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope the ESC will arrive soon. I've heard seveal times the stock ESC is 30A instead of 50A. So my 60A ESC has enough capacity so maybe it runs cooler.
    The turning to right 'issue' is maybe because the rudder is on the right side of the boat? and maybe the linking from the servo to the rudder is the 'problem'.
    My rigger had the same 'problem'. When I take the boat out of the water and try steering I discovered the turning angle of the rudder by steering to left v.s. right is different. The issue was the rubber sealing were the linking goes through. There was a little friction.
    From welding thread I build another link from servo to rudder with a slight bend in it so it moves smoother through the rubber. I used grease in there as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My link move not in the rubber sealing, but with it. I mean it clamp&unclamp. And it works good and force almost no resistance to linkage.
    And it can be seen that rudder turns left and right at almost same angle.
    But at high speed boat turn right better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now I have two boats: one with a malfunctioning ESC and one with a broken shaft. Both the boats are ready to run when one of the parts arrive.
    If you have two boats with different problems, why not transfer all the working stuff to the other boat first so you have one running?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: carakter

If you have two boats with different problems, why not transfer all the working stuff to the other boat first so you have one running?
    Because the ESC from the rigger doesn't work well with the Small Bolt setup and the 2S 5000mah lipo (the only battery that fits inside the small bolt, I run the rigger with a 4Slipo 5000mah wich is way too big for the small bolt)
    And the shaft from the small bolt doesn't fit the rigger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My link move not in the rubber sealing, but with it. I mean it clamp&unclamp. And it works good and force almost no resistance to linkage.
    And it can be seen that rudder turns left and right at almost same angle.
    But at high speed boat turn right better.
    In a race, all boats are designed to run oval in a clockwise direction.
    This is why your rudder is offset to the right.
    However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the rudder inlet hole is on the left side!
    This presents a problem when you turn to the right, no cooling water will come in during right turns!.
    The hole should be on the right side as well.
    This might cause motor overheating. . . might.
    Will have to write a review at HK forum about this.
    Bummer, now I am consideringgetting new rudders with the correct inlet hole placement..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nick - I misunderstood. I thought you hd two Bolts.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

@Carakter: No Two different boats

But I understand that you are in races with the small bolt? or do you use another boat for this?
    A few posts ago somebody shared his good experience with an 4200kv outrunner motor.
    I was wondering if there are other people here using outrunners for the small bolt, and if they are happy with it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, my bolt is still in drydock!   We do race the Sv27.

I have the 4200Kv outrunner in the bag.
    Awaiting delivery of the 3S lipo.
    Will be ordering the SS props from MiniCat . . . and possibly the rudder and a turn fin.
     I will maiden / test the stock boat this weekend if my batts come in.
    This is so I have a "baseline" of my future upgrades and tweaks.
    Also to check if everything is working as it should.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In a race, all boats are designed to run oval in a clockwise direction.
    This is why your rudder is offset to the right.
    However, upon closer inspection, I noticed that the rudder inlet hole is on the left side!
    This presents a problem when you turn to the right, no cooling water will come in during right turns!.
    Usually it takes 10-20s for water cooling block and motor itself to heat up. I mean if you drive in turn less probably it will be normal.
    I have no idea where to run my boat in a race, so I run it for fun. But also I prefer to turn clockwise.
    Yes it's strange why they do this hole at the left side.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, my bolt is still in drydock! We do race the Sv27.

I have the 4200Kv outrunner in the bag.
    Awaiting delivery of the 3S lipo.
    Will be ordering the SS props from MiniCat . . . and possibly the rudder and a turn fin.
    I will maiden / test the stock boat this weekend if my batts come in.
    This is so I have a "baseline" of my future upgrades and tweaks.
    Also to check if everything is working as it should.
    I see.
    I hope Ican test my boat this weekend too, it depends on when the 3S arrives and my ESC.
    I also have an outrunner as a spare. it is a 4800kv. In my rigger I use an outrunner 3600kv (it was a heli combo:motor+esc $18) and that runs great. I first ran it on my 2Slipo and now got a 4S lipo but as said my shaft is broken so I can't tell how it goes with the 4S. Due to water problems in my rigger I expect the motor won't last a long time anymore so I got myself the 4800kv as spare part.
    Maybe I will test the 4800kv in the Small Bolt some day.

I run the boats for fun. I got a 1:1 boat as well and it is fun to run my RCboat next to the 1:1 to see it in action and accelerate a little bit. The benefit is that I can pickup the boat easily when it fails. I don't need to jump in myself.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please others, who suffer from filling the boat with the water, pay attention to my post at page 5).
    I would be glad to see your comments. (dhoyt7141 and others)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yura - I totally agree with you! Check post #106 in Page 5 as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also noticed that the flexshaft is not soldered on the end where it inserts into the motor coupler. This will result in frayed ends in the long run - I soldered that part. Now it's (hopefully) sturdy enough to stand abuse.
    How have you soldered it?
    Must I use soldering iron >60W or my 60W will be enough?
    Have you used soldering acid or special flux?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also noticed that the flexshaft is not soldered on the end where it inserts into the motor coupler. This will result in frayed ends in the long run - I soldered that part. Now it's (hopefully) sturdy enough to stand abuse.
    How have you soldered it?
    Must I use soldering iron >60W or my 60W will be enough?
    Have you used soldering acid or special flux?
    You can also use a flame for soldering it. For this kind of soldering I use this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yura - your 60W iron is enough to do the job.
    Make sure you degrease the flex cable well until no sign of grease sticks to the cleaning cloth.
    Heat the flexcable end with a lot of ordinary solder paste. Apply solder. . .paste . . solder. . . .
    Be patient, it will eventually stick.
    This will take time so go around the flexcable until the whole end is covered in solder.
    Make sure the solder gets into the strands. Don't layit thick, just enough to cover it.
    Degrease it again after you have finished soldering.
    You may need to scrape off some solder after for the shaft to go into the motor coupler smoothly.
    Make sure you re-apply machine oil and grease when everything is done!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

I was wondering how you guys handle with an (near to) empty battery?
    I was thinking about this because of the possibility for the ESC to shut down when the battery voltage is below the LIPO protection level. In the worst case the boat shuts down in the middle of the lake so you can change to swimming shorts.

Or Is it so that when you see the boat has less speed and acceleration (wich indicates that the battery is almost empty) you immediately take the boat out of the water (and change the battery)? 

Experience learned me that the point of shutting the boat down, due to the low voltage protection, can come at once and very unexpected.
    Yesterday I built in my new ESC and tested the boat in the bath tub (where the girlfriend wasn't very pleased with because she was in the bath).
    Today I hope to test my small bolt in the outside water with the 2200mah 3s lipo.

A quick review will follow after the test.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Or Is it so that when you see the boat has less speed and acceleration (wich indicates that the battery is almost empty) you immediately take the boat out of the water (and change the battery)?
    It is so. ESC supplied with the boat programmed to slow-cut (decrease speed). If you use another ESC with immediate cut-off, probably you can look for instruction on how to program it.
    When I see that speed decreasing, it is usually enough energy to reach shore. At least you can give a battery several minutes rest and then run the boat to the shore...
    After several runs you can find out approx runtime for the battery you use and stop before reaching cut-off (it's better for the battery not to reach cut-off voltages).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mostly, if you see that your boat starting to decrease in speed you should be so wise to come ashore at once, don't try for another round or minute! But hey, don't we all think that we can run some more and that it will not come so far...?

You can also take an esc where you can manually adjust the soft cut off setting or chose the sof cut setting. When the boat starts to lower the speed due to its low cut off setting it is time to get the boat ashore.
    There are also ecs's with a hard cut off and some will not even react anymore when the lipo cutoff is activated.
    If you are running your boat for a minute of 5,6 you can expect that a cut off will come any time, but that depends also with your amps draw and capacity of your lipo.

I run the small Bolt in stock (with 3s 1550 mAh Rhino lipo) but did some minor adjustments before running it and I must say, I am impressed! For a stock, rtr model it goes like hell! Only, water comes also in my boat. No leak in the coolingsystem, siliconed every bolt extra so I try the method of Yura and glued the gap between shaft and strut, and a shrinktube over it to be shure. I hope to try it out next Sunday, we will see.

Greetings, beejay1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The part about the soft cut off makes sense. As said I don't use the stock ESC because it was Dead on arrival. So I bought myself another 60A esc. I do have the instruction manual so I can program the cutoff. that's great.
    Right now the weather isn't really wishfull for taking the boat for a run. It is raining all over.

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast