Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:57 AM
Rake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

macdon - the purple running gear from R2 - I was dissappointed.

The rudder does not have enough width and the stock alloy rudder turns the boat alot better.

Looks great though.

Sorry to say mine is still on the shelf though.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:07 PM
macdon

ORIGINAL: Rake

The rudder does not have enough width and the stock alloy rudder turns the boat alot better.

Looks great though.

Sorry to hear that. I havent run mine either. I was trying to fit in a sv27 esc, but was huge with the heat sink, so I ordered some ESCs - probably a couple more weeks before it arrives.
About a week ago, a preowned reef racer arrived - so trmporarily I transfered the motor of the Bolt to that boat.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 AM
sundogz

Looks great though.

Ron it's nice to see you're still lurking on this site now and then. Hope all is well with you, and that you can get back into the swing of things soon. Take care, Sdg.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 AM
Rake

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Looks great though.

Ron it's nice to see you're still lurking on this site now and then. Hope all is well with you, and that you can get back into the swing of things soon. Take care, Sdg.

Thanks SDZ.

Still alot going on. Perhaps winter project ... We shall see.

Take care friend.

Ron.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:09 AM
nickster46

Tried to charge my nano's for another run after a few months, but unfortunately my B6 balance charger died.
I was only able to charge nimh/nicd batteries. So I ordered myself another one.
After all I was playing with my other boat (surge crusher from HK) and ordered a 3 bladed prop for it (grimracer one) and I started thinking about a 3 bladed prop for the small bolt.
Is there anybody with a 3 bladed prop?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 AM
sundogz

I did some research earlier and all I could find was [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Racing-Pro-Machined-Prop-32mm-1-4P-LT-EKOS-VNR1990-/180692658136?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a121f27d8]this[/link] for the Venom Ekos. It is for a 4mm shaft, so you would need some 1/8" I.D. thinwall tubing to use as an adapter. They also make a [link=http://www.stanbridges.com.au/shop.VEN1981]non-metal[/link] one that is a third the price. You want the lefthanded prop.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67410.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1663021  
Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 AM
nickster46

I was afraid for that answer. There seems to be not as much choice for three bladed props as for bigger size shafts.
Have you seen any right hand props? because if you switch some of the three wires from the esc to the motor, the motors turns the clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. but maybe the design (rudder etc) is for a left handed prop...
But the question is: will the small bolt be faster/better with a three bladed prop...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM
sundogz

Yes, there are right handed props, but the flex shaft is wound left handed. I don't think anyone in this thread has tried a three bladed prop on this boat yet. Be the first to see if it is faster!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I agree, you don't want to run the motor in the wrong direction... it will unwind the shaft..
I'm going to look on OSE and see if we can find some 32mm 3 blade props... could be a good setup with a 3 blade prop
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Landor

Thank you for all the information in this thread! It helped a lot ...encouraged to select this boat and to select parts for it. My configuration is:

- 2604kV brushless motor, arrived with the boat kit from Hobbyking
- Turnigy marine 60A ESC
- Turnigy 3S 2200 mAh 20C
- plastic 1.4 x 32 mm propeller

EDIT:
- HXT900Micro Servo

Today it as my second time in waterwith this boat...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-or8aVLP7Y[/youtube]

Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
sundogz

That's a pretty good show for being in waves taller than the boat! Looking forward to a video in some calmer water. Good job.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Landor

Today the weather was much better...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf4yMoSEPF8[/youtube]

EDIT, the Sunday run

- Changed 32 mm propeller to 35 mm propeller
- measured speed
-measured motor temperature

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMPrpZhcI8[/youtube]

Top speed 39 km/h (24 mph)
Logged with Ventus G730.

Motor temperature was after the run 42,5 °C (108,5 °F)
- water and air temperature were only about 10 °C (50 °F)
- With the 32 mm propeller the Temp was below 30 °C (86 °F) (not measuredas carefully as the 35mm result)
- For safe cruising the 32 mm feels more comfortable

Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Landor

With metal propeller 1.4 x 32 mm I reached speed 43 km/h (~27 mph). Other changes to earlier configuration was that I used these for the servo:
- HobbyKing HKU5 5V/5A UBEC + Turnigy nano-tech 460mah 2S 25~40C Lipo Pack

I have also tested these Hobbyking batteries:

- Turnigy nano-tech 1000mAh 4S 45~90C Lipo Pac

- Turnigy nano-tech 1300mAh 4S 45~90C Lipo Pac

Unfortunately I don't have speed info available. Speed seemed to be a bit higher than with 3S. The boat is still easy to control with 4s. Battery and motor temperatures were about 40 °C (~ 104°F). It is still good to remember that the cooling water is most likely below 10 °C (50 °F).

I am very happy for the stock motor performance. I bought a Leaopard 2040 2600kv motor as spare motor but I have not needed it. During past two years I have had about five cheap, not branded chinese motors in RC cars and boats and the life time has been in best case only few batteries.

Playing with this Small bolt has been very easy. When using components that you have recommended I have not managed to break anything. I tought it is a risk to test with 4S but at least first two batteries were drained without any problems. One more thing about those 4S batteries I listed above, they fit very well under the hood.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM
sundogz

That is good info, especially about the 4S lipos. I'll be interested to see how they hold out over time. I think you could get a little more speed by eliminating the 2s lipo used for the servo - just wire in the ubec to the speed controller battery terminals.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Landor

Thank you for the BEC power tip!

One more thing about the 1000mAh 4S Lipos ...there is enough space to put several of those if someone likes. With 1300mAh version this is not possible due to the height.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Thats good to know. Someone could put two 4S 1000 mah on there and have something.

My Bolt hasnt seen water in forever. Its just to rough every time I get to the quarry. Ive had it up for sale now for ages and no interest at all. So I guess shes going to be a shelf queen.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Rehabber
My Feedback: (9)

I have a stock small Bolt with about 20 runs on it. Can any one tell me what replacement motors work well and a source for them.I plan to run 2200 mah lipos so how many KV should I order? Prop size will be between 30-35mm Also when 35 mm props are mentioned,, are these Octura plastic, or are they from HK? Lastly where can I purchase replacement parts? HK has posted for about a year that parts will soon be available and it's not happening.Thanks for the help.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

www.hobbypartz.com is where I got mine.

Motor KV will be decided on your cell count and how you want to go.

For mine I focused on higher RPM overall and smaller props. Im at almost 40K RPM and using the stock prop for some real good looking speeds.

I would shoot for 35-40K at the prop for the smaller props. If you want to run larger props slightly less RPM.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Jens.

I have a view questions about this boat:
1. How fast does it goes?
2. How long can i run full throttle on 1600Mah 3S?
3. Is it stable in the corners?
4. What prop do you reccomend?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:06 AM
beejay1

Hello Jens,

Nice to see that you also interested in the this little devil. But... there are still 47 pages in this thread!

First, do yourself a favour and read these 47 pages, before asking these questions.. Then you will get an impression what the possibilities are of the Small Bolt...

Still some answers on your questions:
Runtime with stock set up will be arround 5 min. on full throttle with standard setup and 3s 1600's (maybe some more seconds), but it will also depends the condition of your pack, the waterconditions, evt. other competitors in races, your cornering skills, etc.

Cornering is something special with these kind of boats, you have to do it with care, especially cornering arround a parcours (avoiding hitting bouys) like F1 parcours. It takes some skill. If you control that, cornering is fun with the Small Bolt !
These boats are good for e.g. racing in mini hydro competition as in Europe in some countries.

Greetings,
beejay1

Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 AM
Rake

Quick one just to let you lot know I'm still lurking !

Added a few grammes of epoxy and glass to my recovered wreck and reinstalled the stuffing tube last night.
Just need to remount the motor mount and set her up again and she is ready to be the crash test dummy again !
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 AM
sundogz

Rake, good to see you're still around and kicking. Yeah, I'm lurking as well. Sold my Small bolt, but here is a video of my Tenshock micro with the HK watercooled 28mm 3900kv on 2S in a local pond. Will be working with 3S and a smaller prop soon. Hope all is well with you and yours, Dave.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUsG7EbUms&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Rake

Hi Dave, good to hear ya !

Thats a sweet little TS I have to say. If you remember I still have to figure out my runaway issues but once thats done I may well follow suit.

Lovely little pond you have there. If mine was half as nice I'd be there all that more often.

Hey has the water ingress issue been solved yet ?

Hope all well you you and yours too and HNY of course.

Ron.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
sundogz

They now have a new [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/FS-GR3C-3CH-2-4Ghz-Receiver-GT3B-GT2-Failsafe-/170601185155?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b89f7f83]receiver for the Flysky[/link] that has a built-in failsafe on channel 2 (throttle) for you folks that have had interference or other problems with control. This may be just what you need. Do a search on the part number (FS-GR3C) to get more info or a better price. Maybe this will solve that 'runaway' problem for you. Oops, I see I need to remove the 'Small Bolt' from my signature. Sdg.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Rake

Cheers SDZ,

This all happened with one of those. I dont remember if the FS was set though. Pretty sure it was but as I say - the repair boat is the crash test dummy. I have a new hull once its sorted.

If I remember rightly, I had a savox digital servo in that was suspected as being instrumental in the runaway episodes but hey. I had runaway episodes before the savox too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.