Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Reply
Old 02-23-2011, 09:47 PM
  #326
Dirt_hawg
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Poteau, OK
Posts: 492
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

I know it sucks..Just get the castle bullets and dont look back...They are very tight...I dont like second guessing..Thats just me though...They are high dollar!! I believe you get what you pay for...
Dirt_hawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
  #327
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Diesel, that's what I had in mind for fixing the loose ones. The ones that seem to be too long to push in all the way will get a bit of filing on the top, or I may just use a little dielectric grease inside the female to help make a better contact. I refuse to pay "top dollar" for connectors. I figure, I bought 40 and 20 are good and the rest need a bit of love. Overall the 40 connectors cost me under $20. I couldn't get more than 12 castle connectors for that price! I'll stick with the cheap ones and take my chances.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
  #328
MsDarla
 
MsDarla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Brownstown, MI
Posts: 554
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

I might in Palm Springs CA next week.
I would love to see your boat run.
MsDarla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
  #329
Diesel6401
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 616
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Yea Iam the same way. I just can't pay for the CC ones. With the value you get from the HK ones even if 1 or 2 are a little off your still making out. Like Isaid Ihaven't had in issues to date with those HK bullets. Imay have to pick up some CC 6.5s for a future project though, but Iwill only need a 3 set for the motor to esc. But paying to switch ALLmy batts and motors and esc's over to CC's would be a small fortune lol...
Quote:
ORIGINAL: losifiend

Diesel, that's what I had in mind for fixing the loose ones. The ones that seem to be too long to push in all the way will get a bit of filing on the top, or I may just use a little dielectric grease inside the female to help make a better contact. I refuse to pay "top dollar" for connectors. I figure, I bought 40 and 20 are good and the rest need a bit of love. Overall the 40 connectors cost me under $20. I couldn't get more than 12 castle connectors for that price! I'll stick with the cheap ones and take my chances.
Diesel6401 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
  #330
BACKEMF
 
BACKEMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,103
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

I know it sucks..Just get the castle bullets and dont look back...They are very tight...I dont like second guessing..Thats just me though...They are high dollar!! I believe you get what you pay for...
This is trueL, Castle makes excellent products but for 5.5's on a budget, the AM-1005 5.5's at hobby king can't be beat. They sell another part numer 5.5 connector but it's GARBAGE!!! Just the AM-1005's are sweet and @ 10 pairs for $4, you're laughing!!
BACKEMF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:49 PM
  #331
BACKEMF
 
BACKEMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,103
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Yea I am the same way. I just can't pay for the CC ones. With the value you get from the HK ones even if 1 or 2 are a little off your still making out. Like I said I haven't had in issues to date with those HK bullets. I may have to pick up some CC 6.5s for a future project though, but I will only need a 3 set for the motor to esc. But paying to switch ALL my batts and motors and esc's over to CC's would be a small fortune lol...
Quote:
ORIGINAL: losifiend

Diesel, that's what I had in mind for fixing the loose ones. The ones that seem to be too long to push in all the way will get a bit of filing on the top, or I may just use a little dielectric grease inside the female to help make a better contact. I refuse to pay ''top dollar'' for connectors. I figure, I bought 40 and 20 are good and the rest need a bit of love. Overall the 40 connectors cost me under $20. I couldn't get more than 12 castle connectors for that price! I'll stick with the cheap ones and take my chances.

Stick to HK part# AM-1005, 1000% better than the other part number they sell!!
BACKEMF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
  #332
BACKEMF
 
BACKEMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Milton, ON, CANADA
Posts: 1,103
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Good: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2087

Bad: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9763
BACKEMF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
  #333
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


I ordered the later, but I don't see the difference. The first time I ordered them I got the ones in the first link though and they seemed the same to me.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
  #334
srt10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 5,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


thanks for posting that Ray
I will have to order the good set next time
srt10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
  #335
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

She's ready for testing tomorrow. It's supposed to rain this weekend.....hopefully not so I can hit the water for some Geico VS Geico fun[8D]


Put in 2 under hull water pick ups. One for ESC and one for the motor.


The ESC water exit fit perfectly without drilling where the rudder water line came in the hull.
.


I compared the 2 ypes of 5.5 connectors visually and didn't notice one bit of difference. I'll measure resistance later to see if they are the same.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM
  #336
asupervee72
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , CA
Posts: 699
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

yeah weather is supposed to be crap everywhere, record breaking snow levels apparently. I have the later sets of the 5.5 as well. Some are a little loose but i was just gonna widen up the male end on those ones like diesel. Switching everything over to 5.5 from hk is still costing me a fortune in time. I'm pretty decent at soldering them but man i have a **** ton of connections. Didn't realize it till i started switching over.

I'm thinking about getting some nano tech batts for MG. I ordered a 2s for my truck since it was cheaper then 2 4s packs to test and see if there is a noticeable difference between the non nano tech ones. Also has anyone seen that new 2.4 HK 310 rx/tx combo for like 31 bucks. Its on back order but i ordered one, looks like it has lots of features.
asupervee72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:14 AM
  #337
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

I soldered last might until my eyes almost bled!! lol I only have 5 2S lipos and 4 4S packs but changing out the ESC leads and making a parallel connector made it feel like I was at it for days.

To widen out the connectors use a 3mm Allan wrench. Make sure you push it all the way down. Works like a charm!!

A friend runs those 2S Nanos on his MG it acts like he's running 4s 2P. They also have punch to the very end. Good investment for the money, IMO.

Do you have a link for that radio? Sounds intresting.

If it rains Sat. I will try and be out there Sunday, whether peitting.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
  #338
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

She runs like a dream! Pay attention around 1:10
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpIqCIxLn-E[/link]
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM
  #339
srt10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 5,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Oh man, I love it!
srt10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
  #340
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Thanks. I need to figure out a way to cool the Turnigy 180 a bit better though. Plenty of water flows through it but the caps were hot enough to get my attention once I touched them. Going to add a few extra caps to see if that brings the temps down. It didn't thermal or blow so it must be running under 180A, lol. Other than that, she's a handful!![>:]
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:19 AM
  #341
asupervee72
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , CA
Posts: 699
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

good captain skills right there. way to read that front end lift at 110. good save. I make my boat fast, and you just make it faster? You are outta control man. Sweet build, she looks sweet and hauls balls man, good job.

My little ul1 motor isn't going to hang. Weather is gonna stop us from running today, hopefully tomorrow is a little better.
asupervee72 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 AM
  #342
srt10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 5,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

after seeing that video I now have an idea of were to put my 1512 2650kv motor in...
srt10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM
  #343
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


Quote:
ORIGINAL: asupervee72

good captain skills right there. way to read that front end lift at 110. good save. I make my boat fast, and you just make it faster? You are outta control man. Sweet build, she looks sweet and hauls balls man, good job.

My little ul1 motor isn't going to hang. Weather is gonna stop us from running today, hopefully tomorrow is a little better.
Thanks. Not to toot my own horn, but I have always had this thing for "feeling" my R/C's. That's why I did so good club racing 4wd SCT and 1/8 scale e-buggy when I was in to that.


It's supposed to be a green light for tomorrow. I don't have your number anymore so PM me yours or text me if you have mine so we can be in touch for heading out to Hanson Dam, if you want to join us tomorrow. Don't worry about my boat being faster. It's really undrivable unless the water is as calm, or calmer, than what was in that video. For the most part I will be running my 3424 1800 kv outrunner. I'll just prop up to make up for you guys running a bit hotter motor. The other 2 guys in the group run your exact setup with composite 42mm props....I'm not much for not playing fair


SRT, you think my boat is fast? There is a guy in our group that runs a Neu 1415 2700kv on 5s! His boat will literally do standing back flips....insane. But the 2650 does suit the boat right. It can definitely handle the power of 4S, but 3S 2P would be better suited. I need to move my packs about 1/2 in forward so the back isn't so heavy. Then I will be able to stay on throttle longer. I'm also going to prop down to a 38mm prop. I don't want to blow my ESC.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:11 PM
  #344
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

This would also be a great motor to try in the MG.
[link]http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_max_pro_sct.html[/link]
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
  #345
srt10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 5,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


Quote:
ORIGINAL: losifiend


Quote:
ORIGINAL: asupervee72

good captain skills right there. way to read that front end lift at 110. good save. I make my boat fast, and you just make it faster? You are outta control man. Sweet build, she looks sweet and hauls balls man, good job.

My little ul1 motor isn't going to hang. Weather is gonna stop us from running today, hopefully tomorrow is a little better.
Thanks. Not to toot my own horn, but I have always had this thing for ''feeling'' my R/C's. That's why I did so good club racing 4wd SCT and 1/8 scale e-buggy when I was in to that.


It's supposed to be a green light for tomorrow. I don't have your number anymore so PM me yours or text me if you have mine so we can be in touch for heading out to Hanson Dam, if you want to join us tomorrow. Don't worry about my boat being faster. It's really undrivable unless the water is as calm, or calmer, than what was in that video. For the most part I will be running my 3424 1800 kv outrunner. I'll just prop up to make up for you guys running a bit hotter motor. The other 2 guys in the group run your exact setup with composite 42mm props....I'm not much for not playing fair


SRT, you think my boat is fast? There is a guy in our group that runs a Neu 1415 2700kv on 5s! His boat will literally do standing back flips....insane. But the 2650 does suit the boat right. It can definitely handle the power of 4S, but 3S 2P would be better suited. I need to move my packs about 1/2 in forward so the back isn't so heavy. Then I will be able to stay on throttle longer. I'm also going to prop down to a 38mm prop. I don't want to blow my ESC.
I'm going to put mine in the Cat you love so much!
the AQ Cat

but 5s, that's just nuts!!
srt10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM
  #346
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Oh it's nothing against the boat. It's the paint that's fugly!! If they offer it in a solid color I'll pick one up in a second. I love cats.
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM
  #347
srt10
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 5,969
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran


Quote:
ORIGINAL: losifiend

Oh it's nothing against the boat. It's the paint that's fugly!! If they offer it in a solid color I'll pick one up in a second. I love cats.
I agree on having them in solid colors
srt10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
  #348
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

I ended up moving the batteries to 9 inches on center from the transom forward. Otherwise this happens over and over, lol!
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDbhAVp5oo[/link]


Found out that the heat issues were due to having my timing too high since I was running the Castle out runner before and did not reprogram the ESC. Brought it down from 22* to the stock setting of 15 and it made a world of difference. Over all the boat kicks major butt[>:]
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
  #349
Basstronics
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elmore, OH
Posts: 557
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Motors and water jackets came in today...

Motors fit well. Not to sure on the water jackets. I ordered the XL versions to get the most cooling. I think it was a mistake. It seems to fit, but the fitting will be in one ODD spot.

Im going to get some bolts Wednesday and get this together.

Pics:


Basstronics is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
  #350
losifiend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Walnut, CA
Posts: 640
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Looking forward to seeing you build that. Keep the pictures coming!!
losifiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:05 PM.