Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Old 02-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Basstronics
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Its been built before... Im curious to see what it will do with 5200 watts of power. Before it had like 3200 watts...

Who knows, Im hoping for mid 60's. I got eagle tree GPS so numbers should be legit.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Gordie M

Hi Guys,

Total newbie here. Have got planes, etc... but the MGwill be my first FEboat. Boat should be delivered tomorrow, tracking says it's in the country (New Zealand). I've read all I can absorb here and on OSE and have the following to set the boat up:

Kintec V2 offset rudder bracket.

Kintec replacement flex shaft

5.5mm castle bullet connectorsand some 10 gauge wire. I'veread on OSE how to make the parallel connectors.

x642 s/b prop from OSE

Proboat ESC programming card.

I will strengthen the hatch with 2oz glass cloth.

What batteries are recommended for good speed but won't blow the stock gear, I'm thinkingtwo 4S 5000mah in parallel. Your comments?

Also what settings should I use on the ESC programming card?

Many thanks,

Gordie.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
losifiend

Just change the setting to LiPo and leave everything else as is. Use 30c or greater batteries for good punch. If you can get 40c then better. You'll love the boat. Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Dirt_hawg

Set motor timming to high, throttle to linear, brake off, lipo on,..I got the exact prop you have and youll love it! I put on the Kinetic rudder v2 and didnt have any porpoising..the 4s packs in series will be great for long runtimes but keep in mind the longer the run the hotter the electrics will get, but on 4s with your setup you shouldnt have any issues..Mine always ran just a touch above cold with 4s2p...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

Set motor timming to high, throttle to linear, brake off, lipo on,..I got the exact prop you have and youll love it! I put on the Kinetic rudder v2 and didnt have any porpoising..the 4s packs in series will be great for long runtimes but keep in mind the longer the run the hotter the electrics will get, but on 4s with your setup you shouldnt have any issues..Mine always ran just a touch above cold with 4s2p...
make sure you wire in parallel. series 4s would be 8s1p and would melt the esc. Heat shouldn't be an issue, but always check new set ups or if outside ambient temp is drastically different.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Dirt_hawg

Ohh yeah..I meant parallel.14.8v 4s2p
Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 PM
asupervee72

ORIGINAL: losifiend

She's ready for testing tomorrow. It's supposed to rain this weekend.....hopefully not so I can hit the water for some Geico VS Geico fun[8D]

Put in 2 under hull water pick ups. One for ESC and one for the motor.

The ESC water exit fit perfectly without drilling where the rudder water line came in the hull.

I compared the 2 ypes of 5.5 connectors visually and didn't notice one bit of difference. I'll measure resistance later to see if they are the same.
do you run this much positive trim on your strut when you run? I don't even think my prop will fit with the trim that high. Could have been contributing to those lift offs.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
losifiend

Strut is set neutral with the bottom being even with the rear ride pads. It flipped over because my batteries were 1" too far back. Once I figured out the CG she stayed nice and consistent with not a bit of bounce or "wa wa".
Old 03-04-2011, 09:40 PM
asupervee72

got ya.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 AM
losifiend

Went back to the 1800KV Castle outrunner on 2 5000mah 20C packs but added an X445. Way cooler running with good run time on 2S packs. Still room for more prop so next I will try an X447. As I'm using bigger props I'm lowering the strut just enough to clear the strut, still neutral. I'm getting absolutely no bounce at WOT. Running my packs at 9.5" from the transom forward because the bugger prop causes the front to lift and flip backwards otherwise. I finally broke my canopy finding that out the hard way. I Was lucky enough it shattered but was still in 1 piece. It's all glassed over now
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-z18v-PFac[/link]
Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
asupervee72

my canopy is at the bottom of the lake, didn't have flotation and the tape failed me, i used electrical tape cause i ran out of my clear hocky/hatch tape. Lost the inner liner in the wreck as well. Those are less then 5 bucks, the canopy is on back order so I may try to snorkel my old one out since it is in the fairly shallow swim area.

Went down to legg lake yesterday and watched the gassers run. Almost makes me want a huge gas cat but it is not in the budget. Pretty serious crowd out there, lots of guys with 5 + boats a trailer and the whole nine. It was more of a gas event but now i got to see what the racing is like and met Tony who has an electric club that I'm pretty sure i became a member of yesterday. We need to grow the electric racing scene, Namba registration is only 45 for the year and it's 35 bucks to get a key to legg lake with access to the row boat for retrieval. Hoping to meet back up with him and the handful of guys he has so we can all run together. He introduced me to a couple of guys running 10s set ups and i think he said they have their own private lake they let him run at sometimes.

1800 kv is a more practical 4s set up in my opinion, I'm getting 10 min run time with the ul1 motor which is apparently a spec motor so i'm glad i got it. I might be selling My super vee to get a df 34 or something of that nature so i can run P mono and P offshore. According to Tony my SV will get eaten alive in P mono.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

I'm rocked the CC1800 and the stock esc today. I had a seaking 120 and had to switch it out because I needed for a different boat. But digging this motor and the boat good match for each other. Prop was a grim 42x55. Great all around sport setup, I love the sound of that outrunner!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Dirt_hawg

Its just a matter of time and youll see more and more electrics..Just like the offroad track here, 2 years ago there were electric cars running, but now the nitro and gassers and nearly non existent..brushless and lipo power is the only way to go these days IMO..
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
asupervee72

i know it's only a matter of time, that is why i want to get on at the start of the wave.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:21 PM
losifiend

Diesel, try a x445 or x447 on that motor. It wont even break a sweat!

asupervee72, I ran the Castle 2650 not for practicality, but because I could.

I'm getting the NAMBA membership only so I can run at The Prado. As far as racing, good luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM
asupervee72

Diesel, try a x445 or x447 on that motor. It wont even break a sweat!

asupervee72, I ran the Castle 2650 not for practicality, but because I could.

I'm getting the NAMBA membership only so I can run at The Prado. As far as racing, good luck!
It was ungodly fast with that Castle 2650 I will say that. Im still not really sure on the price for NAMBA. I'm thinking 45 might be for annual dues but there is an initiation or something that cost more. I'll check it out right now.

its 45 for the year, pretty affordable. Another 35 gets me a key and access to the recovery boat over at legg lake where they have a sanctioned course marked off.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
losifiend

So the key is only to use the boat? Cause if that's the case, I have my rescue rig I rather use anyways. I thought the key was for a fence to get in, or something. So it's open all the time then. I don't have any problem paying the NAMBA fees. Just been to lazy to fill out the paper and fax it, lol.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
asupervee72

well the key is for the gate, it's for both i assume, didn't really get into details, but this is over at legg lake, and you really only need the key if no one is out there, but I am told there usually is. For prado i believe you still have to pay to get into the park, for parking or something of that nature.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
losifiend

Prado is $7, but I rather pay that than go down to test my boats at the Chino Hills pond and get in to it with the crazy duck lady. Man, she pisses me off so bad that I can't even enjoy myself after yelling at her. She threatened to call the cops on me but still hasnt. Last time I told her I was going to call the cops on her for harassment. She jus shook her head and walked away, lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Dirt_hawg

Prado is $7, but I rather pay that than go down to test my boats at the Chino Hills pond and get in to it with the crazy duck lady. Man, she pisses me off so bad that I can't even enjoy myself after yelling at her. She threatened to call the cops on me but still hasnt. Last time I told her I was going to call the cops on her for harassment. She jus shook her head and walked away, lol.
LOL..Next time ask her where the NO RC BOATS sign is..hehe
Old 03-21-2011, 07:33 AM
asupervee72

Prado is $7, but I rather pay that than go down to test my boats at the Chino Hills pond and get in to it with the crazy duck lady. Man, she pisses me off so bad that I can't even enjoy myself after yelling at her. She threatened to call the cops on me but still hasn't. Last time I told her I was going to call the cops on her for harassment. She just shook her head and walked away, lol.

If you could slap her in the face next time you see her it would be greatly appreciated. She did call the cops on me. I got sited, citation was : unlawful to pollute lake water. !st court day I was just gonna fight it on my own, but i didn't really prepare an argument. Some micro Asian attorney from the city of chino hills takes me outside the courtroom with here side kick (not to sure who this lady was) She asked me if i knew why i was there. So i told here yeah something about polluting, she was all well its about your toy boat, to which i showed here the paper work she sent me saying it was about pollution and had nothing to do with the boat. The she asked you know this is a misdemeanor right?

I didn't know and then i said, well what are we doing out here? Isn't this what we do in front of the judge? then i pointed to her sidekick and said and who are you? She said she was also with the city and it seemed like i had a lot of questions so i should may want to seek representation.

So I finally get called to the stand and the judge ask me about representation. I said i don't really know what these people want, i think i can just handle it right now by myself. He told me if i didn't really know what was going on i should get an attorney. I approved of his advice as at the very least it would buy me more time.

Then this little attorney person has the nerve to request March 17th as the day we return. For those of you who don't know that is St. Patty's day and my last name is Shaughnessy, my grandpa was born in Ireland before his family moved to Boston, MA. So i immediatley say, "nope, not coming on the 17th its st patty's day, (minor laughter amongst the others in the pews) Then she starts saying all these days she can't come cause she will be on vacation. So finally the judge sets the date as march 1.

So this was day one waste of my time/money. Coming from hesperia to chino courthouse takes about 25 bucks round trip in my full size truck. Adding to that was my 2 hours in drive time plus the 3 hours i sat in court.

I return to court on March 1. I showed up late cause at this point i really don't care and know i'm not getting called first anyhow. So i go up to the bailiff to let him know i was there because i didn't make it for roll call. I go take a seat and am instantly called back up by the bailiff. He briefly goes over my case making sure i was there for the right one, then he said, "your case has been dismissed you are free to go.

So i'm out a total of 50 in gas over 6 hours of time and two days of wages which is close to 300 bucks all because some hippie activist doesn't know how to read a sign (plenty about no swimming or feeding the ducks, not one about no rc boating.) She is worried about the ducks but we harm the ducks in NO way.

Moral of the story is I'll pay 7 bucks any day before i go back to that pond, and if i do i'm buying a huge cat with twin zenoah engines and am gonna go give her something to actually complain about.

It's like omg the ducks have to share the pond for 30 min while i run my boat in this pond. At the time i was a tax paying resident of ontario/chino and being a public park i had/have every right to be there. Ralph and i pay for that pond along with the other city residents. She is the ONLY one to have something negative to say. Every other person is usually asking me how much it is, where they can get one, what is a good model for their kid, etc. So clearly the people who are enjoying the boats outweigh the individual that is overly concerned about wild ducks.

The day i was sited i took a pick of a family feeding the ducks directly in front of the sign saying not to feed the ducks, i took the pick as i was walking back from the cop car, but was anybody around to cite them? Of course not. I was doing nothing against the posted signs yet people who blatantly ignore them suffer no consequences. I have ran my boats in several locations and have even seen signs that prohibit rc boating, they specifically say it on them and have a picture of a boat. The chino hills park on corner of Grand and Chinohills parkway has no such signs.

All in all i really hate that crazy duck lady, i didn't even say anything mean to her, stupid hag.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Dirt_hawg

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

Prado is $7, but I rather pay that than go down to test my boats at the Chino Hills pond and get in to it with the crazy duck lady. Man, she pisses me off so bad that I can't even enjoy myself after yelling at her. She threatened to call the cops on me but still hasn't. Last time I told her I was going to call the cops on her for harassment. She just shook her head and walked away, lol.

If you could slap her in the face next time you see her it would be greatly appreciated. She did call the cops on me. I got sited, citation was : unlawful to pollute lake water. !st court day I was just gonna fight it on my own, but i didn't really prepare an argument. Some micro Asian attorney from the city of chino hills takes me outside the courtroom with here side kick (not to sure who this lady was) She asked me if i knew why i was there. So i told here yeah something about polluting, she was all well its about your toy boat, to which i showed here the paper work she sent me saying it was about pollution and had nothing to do with the boat. The she asked you know this is a misdemeanor right?

I didn't know and then i said, well what are we doing out here? Isn't this what we do in front of the judge? then i pointed to her sidekick and said and who are you? She said she was also with the city and it seemed like i had a lot of questions so i should may want to seek representation.

So I finally get called to the stand and the judge ask me about representation. I said i don't really know what these people want, i think i can just handle it right now by myself. He told me if i didn't really know what was going on i should get an attorney. I approved of his advice as at the very least it would buy me more time.

Then this little attorney person has the nerve to request March 17th as the day we return. For those of you who don't know that is St. Patty's day and my last name is Shaughnessy, my grandpa was born in Ireland before his family moved to Boston, MA. So i immediatley say, ''nope, not coming on the 17th its st patty's day, (minor laughter amongst the others in the pews) Then she starts saying all these days she can't come cause she will be on vacation. So finally the judge sets the date as march 1.

So this was day one waste of my time/money. Coming from hesperia to chino courthouse takes about 25 bucks round trip in my full size truck. Adding to that was my 2 hours in drive time plus the 3 hours i sat in court.

I return to court on March 1. I showed up late cause at this point i really don't care and know i'm not getting called first anyhow. So i go up to the bailiff to let him know i was there because i didn't make it for roll call. I go take a seat and am instantly called back up by the bailiff. He briefly goes over my case making sure i was there for the right one, then he said, ''your case has been dismissed you are free to go.

So i'm out a total of 50 in gas over 6 hours of time and two days of wages which is close to 300 bucks all because some hippie activist doesn't know how to read a sign (plenty about no swimming or feeding the ducks, not one about no rc boating.) She is worried about the ducks but we harm the ducks in NO way.

Moral of the story is I'll pay 7 bucks any day before i go back to that pond, and if i do i'm buying a huge cat with twin zenoah engines and am gonna go give her something to actually complain about.

It's like omg the ducks have to share the pond for 30 min while i run my boat in this pond. At the time i was a tax paying resident of ontario/chino and being a public park i had/have every right to be there. Ralph and i pay for that pond along with the other city residents. She is the ONLY one to have something negative to say. Every other person is usually asking me how much it is, where they can get one, what is a good model for their kid, etc. So clearly the people who are enjoying the boats outweigh the individual that is overly concerned about wild ducks.

The day i was sited i took a pick of a family feeding the ducks directly in front of the sign saying not to feed the ducks, i took the pick as i was walking back from the cop car, but was anybody around to cite them? Of course not. I was doing nothing against the posted signs yet people who blatantly ignore them suffer no consequences. I have ran my boats in several locations and have even seen signs that prohibit rc boating, they specifically say it on them and have a picture of a boat. The chino hills park on corner of Grand and Chinohills parkway has no such signs.

All in all i really hate that crazy duck lady, i didn't even say anything mean to her, stupid hag.
LMFAO!!!! If you decide to do that please let me know and I swear I will fly up there just to watch that...hehehehe
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
losifiend

I did ask her and it shut her up for 2 seconds, lol. I told her I would keep running there until the city puts up signs. She's just bitter and has nothing better to do. Some other lady told me she was the " unnoficial mayor" of the park. I told her I was the unoficial president of the local boat cub! I told her I didn't live in Chino hills but I do live in the same county as the park is in and I do pay home owners taxes and I have the right to use the park as I please. I went on to tell her that I bad plenty of pictures of people feeding the ducks and that I would be happy to see what a judge thought about that versus me running my electric boat in the pond. Again, she had nothing to say. I asked her if she wanted to take it to court we could. My wife gets legal representation through her work so we do have a lawyer on retainer all the time. Again, silence. The way I see it is that she's a bully.

Man, that sucks that you went through all that. Now that I think about it, I think I'll go run there tomorrow, lol!
ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

LOL..Next time ask her where the NO RC BOATS sign is..hehe
Old 03-31-2011, 10:15 PM
Gordie M

Guys,

What's the recommended rudder throw for the MG?

I've got mine set at about 25-30 degrees each way from neutral. I have no idea of what's needed.

Cheers,

Gordie
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
asupervee72

take it out and drive it, turn your epa all the way out and then add in steering until you have as much as you want. I think this is more captain preference

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.