Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

5s and this baby rips!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 AM
jlinde
My Feedback: (2)

Guys - Steve at Offshore Electrics (www.offshoreelectrics.com) has fabricated some replacement flex lines that should solve your difficulties pending the official HH replacement. 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Jeff Wohlt

I also have them in stock...but I just got my hull only so I will be building a sweet one with a 2200 kv 4074 leopard motor and 4S. Should be ballistic.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 AM
mister twister
My Feedback: (1)

I was wondering what you guys were seeing for run times with two 5000 mah Nimh 6 Cell batteries and what kind of speed. I have a Nitro thinking about trying an FE boat.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: mister twister

I was wondering what you guys were seeing for run times with two 5000 mah Nimh 6 Cell batteries and what kind of speed. I have a Nitro thinking about trying an FE boat.
I don't think anyone is running Nimh packs in this boat [:-]
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM
mister twister
My Feedback: (1)

OK I am sorry I was thinking of the wrong boat. (I was thinking about the SV27 duh....)

What are you guys running and what are the run times?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
BACKEMF

ORIGINAL: Jeff Wohlt

I also have them in stock...but I just got my hull only so I will be building a sweet one with a 2200 kv 4074 leopard motor and 4S. Should be ballistic.
Jeff can you post pictures? I want to see what I bought too. Mainly what hull only actually comes with?

I bought from RC Planet and wish I didn't. They lied and still do that it is "In Stock" They said it will ship Tuesday when they get more in.

!#@$%&*@@@#!!%[:'(]
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: BACKEMF

ORIGINAL: Jeff Wohlt

Jeff can you post pictures? I want to see what I bought too. Mainly what hull only actually comes with?

I bought from RC Planet and wish I didn't. They lied and still do that it is ''In Stock'' They said it will ship Tuesday when they get more in.

!#@$%&*@@@#!!%[:'(]
oh man that sucks you havent got your boat [:-]
Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 PM
rayelljay

Hey there gentlemen,
I'm kinda new at this high speed electric.
Not a complete newbee...I'm 66 and used to build boats with my dad when I was a mere child but we only had "diesels"....no RC to speak of so we used clockwork driven cams to drive the steering. But, through the years, I managed to retain my old water cooled Taplin Twin.
Anyway, a dude made me a deal on a Barbie promotion version of a Chriscraft runabout and it brought back memories. So I'm building the Dumas Chriscraft Hydroplane kit. But I came upon an Aquacraft Rio EP and ran the fool out of it until the speed control fried. So I ordered a replacement and visited my local hobby store and bought a Miss Geico ready to run for "something to run" this weekend.
Took her home and charged the NiMh batteries and lubed the driveshaft and set off for the lake.
She looks sweet just sittin' there....just a tad up on the throttle trim and she took off. Did a short pass on just on plane for a looksee, turned around and did a pass at full bore....backed off to make the 180 turn back and cruised back to the launch point. She was still on a little throttle trim so I reduced the trim to zero turns at the screw. She would not restart.
Resorted to using the Barbie as a rescue vessel but closer to shore and pointed in the right direction I gave her a bit of throttle. She started right away but lasted only a couple of seconds before shutdown again. I held her in the water and waited a couple of minutes and tried again....two seconds of thrust and shutdown.
So we all went home where I lubed the prop-shaft and recharged the batteries and checked that there was no blockage in the water cooling system.
Following day had essentially the same script.
Waiting for final disposition from the manufacturer.
I'm wondering about the speed control and my adjustments.
I'm thinking that reducing the throttle trim to zero turns and presumably sending a vero volt control signal to the speed control is inducing a shutdown.
Weather coming in looks to be lousy but I think I'll try leaving that throttle trim where it is.
Hopefully within the next couple of days the new ESC for the Rio will arrive and ProBoat will make a decision on the Geico...I think they'll want it back.
Conclusions: Great looking boat with a couple of fixable glitches...but I'm a patient person.
Where I take my boats I'm essentially alone so I'm not really interested in blinding speed...so she has NiMh batteries....at this stage it really doesn't matter. Just on plane yields great photos.
Just last week I started work on a Rum runner type vessel...marvelous what you can do with CAD...she's going to have a pair of 380's in her from a wrecked PT-109 kit.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: rayelljay

Hey there gentlemen,
I'm kinda new at this high speed electric.
Not a complete newbee...I'm 66 and used to build boats with my dad when I was a mere child but we only had ''diesels''....no RC to speak of so we used clockwork driven cams to drive the steering. But, through the years, I managed to retain my old water cooled Taplin Twin.
Anyway, a dude made me a deal on a Barbie promotion version of a Chriscraft runabout and it brought back memories. So I'm building the Dumas Chriscraft Hydroplane kit. But I came upon an Aquacraft Rio EP and ran the fool out of it until the speed control fried. So I ordered a replacement and visited my local hobby store and bought a Miss Geico ready to run for ''something to run'' this weekend.
Took her home and charged the NiMh batteries and lubed the driveshaft and set off for the lake.
She looks sweet just sittin' there....just a tad up on the throttle trim and she took off. Did a short pass on just on plane for a looksee, turned around and did a pass at full bore....backed off to make the 180 turn back and cruised back to the launch point. She was still on a little throttle trim so I reduced the trim to zero turns at the screw. She would not restart.
Resorted to using the Barbie as a rescue vessel but closer to shore and pointed in the right direction I gave her a bit of throttle. She started right away but lasted only a couple of seconds before shutdown again. I held her in the water and waited a couple of minutes and tried again....two seconds of thrust and shutdown.
So we all went home where I lubed the prop-shaft and recharged the batteries and checked that there was no blockage in the water cooling system.
Following day had essentially the same script.
Waiting for final disposition from the manufacturer.
I'm wondering about the speed control and my adjustments.
I'm thinking that reducing the throttle trim to zero turns and presumably sending a vero volt control signal to the speed control is inducing a shutdown.
Weather coming in looks to be lousy but I think I'll try leaving that throttle trim where it is.
Hopefully within the next couple of days the new ESC for the Rio will arrive and ProBoat will make a decision on the Geico...I think they'll want it back.
Conclusions: Great looking boat with a couple of fixable glitches...but I'm a patient person.
Where I take my boats I'm essentially alone so I'm not really interested in blinding speed...so she has NiMh batteries....at this stage it really doesn't matter. Just on plane yields great photos.
Just last week I started work on a Rum runner type vessel...marvelous what you can do with CAD...she's going to have a pair of 380's in her from a wrecked PT-109 kit.
these boats have a LVC and if your batteries are not in good order they will see a low voltage drop and set off the lvc, and cause what you are describing
if the packs are new they may need a few runs and charges to get up to full power, and if they have sat for a while they will need to be cylced
could be as simple as this
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
MsDarla

Here is a set-up I saw at the MMEU http://www.mmeu.com/ race today for the rudder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17903.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1518467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48341.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1518468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54988.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1518469  
Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: MsDarla

Here is a set-up I saw at the MMEU http://www.mmeu.com/ race today for the rudder.
really helps the cat handle better
Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
BACKEMF

I did it too but, beefier...

Broke my canopy on first outing, Baaaad!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67341.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1519047  
Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
rayelljay

Well my Geico ran this afternoon (Sunday) and the power shutoff problem is still there.
I have cycled the batteries near a dozen times and installed the correct driveshaft and got about four minutes "just on plane" and lookin' pretty when she stopped.
I adjusted the throttle trim to provide a little headway and did my runs.
I've advised product support of the problem and I'm waiting on them now.
I'm kinda wondering as to whether I should just go ahead and convert to LiPo operation...or could the same problem appear...?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM
srt10

Well my Geico ran this afternoon (Sunday) and the power shutoff problem is still there.
I have cycled the batteries near a dozen times and installed the correct driveshaft and got about four minutes ''just on plane'' and lookin' pretty when she stopped.
I adjusted the throttle trim to provide a little headway and did my runs.
I've advised product support of the problem and I'm waiting on them now.
I'm kinda wondering as to whether I should just go ahead and convert to LiPo operation...or could the same problem appear...?
tell me again the size of your packs..
thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
rayelljay

srt10,
They are 2 - 3300 NiMh.
What I'm looking for is not all out blistering speed because of the size of the lake available but to be able to run just on plane so, really and truly, I'm expecting to have a throttle top limit of about 75%.
I've both batteries charging separately right now so I'll be able to tell if there is an electrical imbalance somewhere.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
rayelljay

srt10,
Just to follow up.....both batteries regained full charge in 24 min at a 3.0 amp rate.
Been lookin' at the possibility of purchasing a King of Shaves.....do like big cats.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:12 PM
srt10

srt10,
They are 2 - 3300 NiMh.
What I'm looking for is not all out blistering speed because of the size of the lake available but to be able to run just on plane so, really and truly, I'm expecting to have a throttle top limit of about 75%.
I've both batteries charging separately right now so I'll be able to tell if there is an electrical imbalance somewhere.
Bro I wish I lived close by, we would toss in a pair of my Turnigy lipos in it and see if the issue still remains..
I still think its your batteries not able to keep up with the demands of brushless in this boat. ???
the short runtimes are due to the small capacity of your packs.. this boat can pull a constant 40amps
Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 PM
srt10

srt10,
Just to follow up.....both batteries regained full charge in 24 min at a 3.0 amp rate.
Been lookin' at the possibility of purchasing a King of Shaves.....do like big cats.
what charger are you using?
and are the packs very warm when the charger shuts off?

are you thinking the twin brushless KOS?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM
rayelljay

srt10,
I really wouldn't say the batteries are hot but they are warmer than I would expect.
I had read one posting in here somewhere about the instantaneous demands put upon an electrical supply causing excessive heat in the batteries. Mine are, to me, too hot even from the short run times. The same poster kinda inferred that LiPo's were more capable in handling those instantaneous current demands associated with a brushless motor.
Your thoughts on a matter.......
During my "just on plane" run-bys I didn't see discharge from the water cooling. I did find that the water pickup seemed, to me, a little small. Does that mean that the optimum cooling occurs (only) at high speed...? I can fab. one up out of brass but I want to get the boat up and reliable first.
I see one battery supplier has 5300's for a reasonable price and the programmer is not unreasonable. Would be nice for a ESC with USB interface and throttle curves in this class of boat.
As I said, I've approached the necessary folk for their comments and I made a comment about maybe I should go ahead and convert to LiPo's anyway and "be done with it". I'd like them to at least offer to replace the ESC on such a young boat.
Weather is lookin' yukky for the next few days and while the G is beached for a wee while I've still got my faithfull Rio EP and my EC-12.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 PM
srt10

I agree that Lipos in a FE boat really do help
they have more constant amps to run throught the esc and get to the motor
the more amps you have the higher the rpms will be for more speed and with more amps you will have less ripples in the esc
and that will cause the electronics to actually run cooler

and with the rudder water pickup, I used a point file on my rudders and gently ream the hole just a tad and I got almost twice the water flow through the system

I hope this helps
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
rayelljay

srt10,

You certainly have helped me here....many thanks.

I think I'll go ahead and convert to a LiPo system now and continue waiting on tower hobbies to make up their collective mind as to what to do. Any recommendations.....?

I had a close look at the water pickup. Yeah, I was in error....I was thinking about my Rio EP layout. The Geico rudder pickup could do with a little polishing to clean it up.

I do wish there was a local club around here....my model making expertise in England before I came over here was high speed hulls. When I left, I left a beautiful 42" hydrofoil powered by one of my sweet Taplin Twins....I still have one of them and would love to use her one more time but spares need to be hand made and I no longer have the required machine tools.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 PM
srt10

These could be killer for your MG29!
5800mah 25c
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10285
Old 11-03-2010, 04:07 PM
BACKEMF

ORIGINAL: srt10

These could be killer for your MG29!
5800mah 25c
http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10285
Thats what I run. Excellent cells and dirt cheap.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
rayelljay

That's a helluva good price....ordering mine now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.