Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Help with maiden Lipo Voyage

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Help with maiden Lipo Voyage

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
NobodyFamous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with maiden Lipo Voyage

Ok, so I just got my Turnigy 5800mah 2s Lipos from hobby king and I am preping for the first run in my Villain IV.

I do not have a Lipo monitor, or LVC of any kind, so it will be a timed run.

Since there is a difference between resting voltage and under load voltage I need a bit of info. . .

Lipo's, they should not drop below 3.0v per cell to keep safe and healthy. is this resting voltage or under load voltage?

I can only assume that the normal 3.3v that LVC in ESC are set at would be 3.3v under load, becuase you are running at the time LVC kicks in. What are most people's voltages per cell at after they bring the boat in?

SO. . .

When I run the boat, I will run it hard for 2 minutes and bring it in and check each cell voltage. This will be a resting voltage as it will take a minute to get the lid off and check the cells. How low can this voltage go?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with maiden Lipo Voyage

It depends on the amp draw as to how low the resting voltage can be before it's too low.
Don't forget that you want to leave about 20 percent of capacity in the battery too. In your case thats around 1160mah.
I have a couple of those packs & I won't put the boat back in the water if the resting cell voltage is below 3.75V/ cell. This tends to leave around 20 percent in the packs.
With around 80-100A draw the voltage drops about 0.5-0.6V so the running voltage would be about 3.2V/cell.
That's just my experience & all setups & boats are different.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine usually read around 7.6 when i'm done, should have good run time with those 5800's, how's the 8awg wires on those? Have you converted to 5.5 mm bullets like what comes on those batteries?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM
NobodyFamous

I have not converted to 5.5 yet.  I foolishly bought the 4mm bullets thinking I would use those all the way around.  4mm to 5.5mm is a big difference.  So I ordered another 2 packs and the 5.5mm bullets with them.

For right now I rigged up an adaptor to go from some custom 5.5mm bullets to the original crap style of plug.  Once the new bullets show up I will be swapping everything over.

The Villain IV is stock, with upgraded octra props and replaced ESC.  Still 2:1 gear driven with stock brushed motors.  so amp draw will not be huge.

This is step one in my adventures into fast electric.  I am also going to convert this over to dual brushless, something still fairly tame, but then I will get ESC with LVC.  I am also working on my Nitro V conversion, that will be a 4s-6s smooth water screamer when I am done.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

That boat does not pull much amps at all
you should be able to see 20min runs with those batteries, running them to 20%
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 AM
asupervee72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same thing, all my connects are 4mm bullets, the 10 awg wire doesn't really fit in them but i made it work, also the plastic protectors that came with mine were very difficult to put on, i had to do some modding to them for it to go on, i should have got the 5.5 and still should but i really don't want to re- do 9 batteries a charger and a couple esc's
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
NobodyFamous

about 3.75V/cell got it. Well I am off to the pond, we'll see how it goes.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM
NobodyFamous

well, these batteries are amazing.  One gives twice the run time of my old crap NiCad.  I don't have water cooling yet so it over heats way before the batteries are even close to dead.

speed is also up to 26km/h from 22km/h
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
NobodyFamous

here is a video of it running (may be another 20 minutes loading)

It need's some serious cleaning up and tuning.  One of the props has a good nick in it, and the out drives are looking pretty shabby, I also need to trim it down a touch.

So after sharpening everything up it should run a little better.  I also still need to install water cooling (parts in the mail)

anyhow here you go.  Me myself and I driving and filming with small point and shoot camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU93JincGt4