Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

Old 07-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NOT IMPRESSED WITH MINI RIO

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

I told him before i will tell him again get the hop up motor aquacraft says to use on there site,,,,,,,,
ElectriFly T-400 7.2-8.4V Ferrite Motor

it will get way faste and work much better than stock!!!
so am i not listening to you because i wont go out and spend MORE money on the boat. Is that where you get your " hes ignorant and wont listen" attitude..

You see, my brother doesnt have tons of money to keep funneling into a boat. He wants a working boat stock with a few batteries. Why should I have to go out and buy an upgrade motor to get the damned boat to work?

No where in the instruction manual do i see " please go purchase this motor so you can enjoy your RTR boat". Or please cycle your battery by running it down and charging it three or four times to enjoy your RTR BOAT

I bought myself a RIO EP a few weeks back. Ive havent had a lick of trouble with it. The speedo thermaled or something the 4th run but i dont care because now its brushless
Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No it comes from you asking about a few different boats that are large boats then you go into other topics and then you don't listen and you go ahead and get a mini boat that i said won't work as good as the bigger boat i recommended to you and now that your mini boat sucks like i said it would compaired to the bigger ones you where first asking about and did not get the one out of the bigger boats i recommended to you to get...well lets see you did not listen in the first place now to get your sucky mini rio to work properly
A, you must cycle the battery at least a few times
B, get a octura prop
C get the T-400 motor for it and use stock prop.

If not then you will be stuck with a mini boat that in the forst place i told you that was no way neer as good as the larger boat i recommended to you......

SO YES YOU DO NOT LISTEN!!

ORIGINAL: Traxxas4fun

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

I told him before i will tell him again get the hop up motor aquacraft says to use on there site,,,,,,,,
ElectriFly T-400 7.2-8.4V Ferrite Motor

it will get way faste and work much better than stock!!!
so am i not listening to you because i wont go out and spend MORE money on the boat. Is that where you get your '' hes ignorant and wont listen'' attitude..

You see, my brother doesnt have tons of money to keep funneling into a boat. He wants a working boat stock with a few batteries. Why should I have to go out and buy an upgrade motor to get the damned boat to work?

No where in the instruction manual do i see '' please go purchase this motor so you can enjoy your RTR boat''. Or please cycle your battery by running it down and charging it three or four times to enjoy your RTR BOAT

I bought myself a RIO EP a few weeks back. Ive havent had a lick of trouble with it. The speedo thermaled or something the 4th run but i dont care because now its brushless
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Traxxas4fun

look this is traxxasallfors older brother. dont yell at me for this..
/
And really sucky mini rio? minis arent all sucky. 3/4 of our boat club races mini rios. My brother can drive the rio in our pond without having to ride his bike to the big pond where i drive my rio.
YES im comparing my big rio to his mini rio, not performance wise. im comparing it to WORKING wise

maybe he doesnt want to have to buy a prop and or a freaking motor to get the dam thing to work! Its pretty sad, its like you buy yourself a new 1:1 car and then they are like well, you need a new tranny for it because this one is ****.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
res3567

Traxxas......I just changed my stock prop on my AQ SV. I noticed it had a big chunk out of it. It was having trouble planing as well. Same for my Blast. If you could just try a new prop....that might be the source of all your problems. My Blast's proplooks like the new prop, but it was the problem. Just try it....and then go from there. Just trying to help you bro!

ORIGINAL: res3567

Goodness dude we are telling you what your problem is....and I even yelled at you to get you and your bro to listen....are you not reading ALL the posts?

im about 99.99999% sure its not weeds. there would be no weeds in it after we brought it in because it fell off plane and wouldnt get back up on plane..

were bringing it back..

looking at the zigzag racer or the mini c.. or wildcat
it isnt the weeds! there arent any weeds in the middle of the pond, all the weeds are around the edges! i drive my RIO EP IN THERE. WORKS FINE
Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Traxxas4fun

yeh i realize that and respect had. But when the other dude says, dont listen to him, he doesnt listen to me. He just needs to leave. First the OP is my younger bro. Im the older bro that has the rio ep. The problem is the advertise these as rtr, not art, just buy a new prop

Traxxas......I just changed my stock prop on my AQ SV. I noticed it had a big chunk out of it. It was having trouble planing as well. Same for my Blast. If you could just try a new prop....that might be the source of all your problems. My Blast's prop looks like the new prop, but it was the problem. Just try it....and then go from there. Just trying to help you bro!

Goodness dude we are telling you what your problem is....and I even yelled at you to get you and your bro to listen....are you not reading ALL the posts?

im about 99.99999% sure its not weeds. there would be no weeds in it after we brought it in because it fell off plane and wouldnt get back up on plane..

were bringing it back..

looking at the zigzag racer or the mini c.. or wildcat

it isnt the weeds! there arent any weeds in the middle of the pond, all the weeds are around the edges! i drive my RIO EP IN THERE. WORKS FINE
Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 PM
res3567

Traxxas....in mass production, flaws will get into the market. Same goes for full sizecars, and yes they a warrantied new. If you wish to return the boat....then so be it. Just realize that in this hobby ( all hobby quality RC) you may get defective parts. Read my reply to the Traxxas Blast....not the boat, since it was used, but the Traxxas charger was flawed. There is the way it otta be, andthere is the way it is. You Rio problem is probablythe prop and I would try to see if they can send you a new one for free..if you feel that strongly about RTR.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Traxxas4fun

we returned it and got a zigzag racer RTR!. he likes it better anyway.

sorry for causing drama/stress shenloco[sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 AM
shenlonco

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No problem dude!![8D]
At least now he's having FUN and happy with his boat.

we returned it and got a zigzag racer RTR!. he likes it better anyway.

sorry for causing drama/stress shenloco[sm=punching.gif]
Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 AM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's something wrong with your boat. Can't determine what from a forum discussion. Take it back and get a NEW one. You don't need a new prop, new battery or any of that. The stock boat should fly. We race them all the time in the Indy Admirals. They are 100% stock!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxNRGZVqz4[/youtube]
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Traxxas4fun

Im in your club! I was there at the scale meet on saturday haha. i have the brushless rio ep. i was there with two friends

ORIGINAL: HelloScott

There's something wrong with your boat. Can't determine what from a forum discussion. Take it back and get a NEW one. You don't need a new prop, new battery or any of that. The stock boat should fly. We race them all the time in the Indy Admirals. They are 100% stock!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxNRGZVqz4[/youtube]
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Basstronics

Cycling the battery pack isnt that big of a chore. 3-4 runs/charges and it should be up to snuff.

As far as the motor goes:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYA6&P=ML

$21 shipped.

Changing to a wire drive was a huge and cheap upgrade as well. Under $1- you will need .047" music wire.

But if you are totally against doing any kind of work or labor to the RTR boat you are better off calling up Aquacraft and whining to them about it.

"Ya this is such bull shiz... I gotta cycle a battery 3-4 times before it holds full capacity!"

-CLICK-

Stop being so dramatic. Cycle the battery pack. Put the battery all the way to the back as far as possible. Pull the drive line out, grease it up good. Check for binds. Be happy.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:40 PM
miniriome

I had the same problem....the nimh batteries need a few charges to get full of juice...I also converted to deans ultra plugs and did the pinao wire hop up and it gets on plane right away! I hate the 5 min. run time so I also got some 2s lipo packs (they say the esc/reciever can handel it) for cheep...they should be here tomarrow. It does suck that you have to do this for a RTR Boat but the problems are cheep if you dont mind investing the time to do it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Traxxas4fun

ORIGINAL: Basstronics

Cycling the battery pack isnt that big of a chore. 3-4 runs/charges and it should be up to snuff.

As far as the motor goes:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLYA6&P=ML

$21 shipped.

Changing to a wire drive was a huge and cheap upgrade as well. Under $1- you will need .047'' music wire.

But if you are totally against doing any kind of work or labor to the RTR boat you are better off calling up Aquacraft and whining to them about it.

''Ya this is such bull shiz... I gotta cycle a battery 3-4 times before it holds full capacity!''

-CLICK-

Stop being so dramatic. Cycle the battery pack. Put the battery all the way to the back as far as possible. Pull the drive line out, grease it up good. Check for binds. Be happy.
you crack me up. I cycled the battery 4 times, it never worked. I brought it to my hobbyshop, the guy said " the drivelines in a bind". I said no i adjusted it as much as i can. He refused to believe me, he "FIXED" it and told me to go back home and try it out. I did, it didnt work. So i brought it back, different guy was there. I said im returning this, it doesnt work. He goes the drivelines in a bind. Im like here we go again. So long story short, he "FIXED" it and went and ran it at a pond around the shop, it didnt work.

Maybe aquacraft should put ARTR rio. All you need is to cycle the battery 4 times, change to wire drive and a new prop or a new motor. I still have my RIO EP, its awesome! The esc fried fast but oh well, it was slow anyway. It was RTR out of the box.

If i was the one that owned the mini rio, i wouldnt have cared, i woulda bought a better motor and prop. Since it was my brother he cant afford that
Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Basstronics

If you knew what the problem was then why didnt you fix it?

The whole point is whatever the problem was it sound minimal.

But I guess if you want something from box to water and it wasnt doing that for you- then whatever. Probably made the right move.

However this is a hobby, and as being such it is normal for us to all work on boats. if you think the MR is bad get a RTR out of China from E bay... lol
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM
dmoesch

Wow this thread makes my head hurt.....really it does.
TheRio EPis awesome, yet the ESCfried buts itsOK because its my boat, if it was my brothers boat he couldn't afford it yada yada yada.

OK, glad to hear all is well.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
MaximuM*AltitudE

Man I hope you guys don't get into the NQD Jet Sprints....You'd probably lose interest in boats completely!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
fastelectrics

I must say, if it is a quality control issue they still have not fixed their problems. I bought the boat for a seven year old, and he has literally cried. Do you realize how bad something like this has to be for someone that young to be embarresed becuse it doesn't run like the adult boat does? And the 10 year old kids at the beach made fun of it!

Yes I have ordered a 2 cell lipo, yes I have ordered the flipping T-400 motor. But the fact of the matter is the stock boat is utterly useless!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Basstronics

I cant agree more...

The Mini mono for $140 is such a better option.

To do an upgrade beyond adding lipo's and a new VR3 motor you gotta start all over with it. $100 for a mini ABS hull and hardware is very expensive...