Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Nimh and nicd batteries

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Nimh and nicd batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:56 PM
carwen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nimh and nicd batteries

I have heard of people using nimh batteries. My boat uses ni-cd batteries. What is the difference

My gigantic sized ni-cd battery is 1800mah 8.4v. I have some AA energizer rechargeable nimh batteries that are 1.2v and 2300mah.
If i use enough of them to make 8.4v, i would have 16,100 mah. (that is so.... many times higher in capacity)

does that work? or is there other stuff with it that i dont know about?

And why is my 8.4 1800mah ni-cd battery like 25 times larger than the small AA sized nimh recheargable battery that is higher in capacity? (2300mah)
Old 08-06-2010, 05:11 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Nimh and nicd batteries

Mostly you can get higher capacity in a nimh (as you already have seen) Many times a cell is also larger if it needs to have a higher current capability (usually the diameter is bigger) If you parallel enough of them together the capacity is indeed added together.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
NobodyFamous

you have the cells that are 1.2v per cell and 2300 mAh.  If you wire them in parallel, you add the capacity (mAh) but voltage stays the same.

so, 6 cells in parallel (positive to positive, and negative to negative) will yield, 1.2v at 13,800 mAh.

now the same 6 cells in series (positive to negative) will give you 7.2v and 2300 mAh

on a side note, those energizers are not likely actually 2300 mAh, they just lie.

You can, without any problems run NiCad or NiMh batteries.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: NobodyFamous

you have the cells that are 1.2v per cell and 2300 mAh. If you wire them in parallel, you add the capacity (mAh) but voltage stays the same.
so, 6 cells in parallel (positive to positive, and negative to negative) will yield, 1.2v at 13,800 mAh.
now the same 6 cells in series (positive to negative) will give you 7.2v and 2300 mAh
on a side note, those energizers are not likely actually 2300 mAh, they just lie.
You can, without any problems run NiCad or NiMh batteries.
What he said

If you add cells in series you only up the voltage not the mAh.
With the right connectors you can have fun with the packs it's
amazing how much a boats speed will pick up at 14.4 volts but
it wears things faster.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: carwen

I have heard of people using nimh batteries. My boat uses ni-cd batteries. What is the difference

My gigantic sized ni-cd battery is 1800mah 8.4v. I have some AA energizer rechargeable nimh batteries that are 1.2v and 2300mah.
If i use enough of them to make 8.4v, i would have 16,100 mah.
You can't add voltage and mAh. If you have 7 AA you would have 8.4v and 2300mAh. But be warned these AA's do not have high current capabilities. In otherwords your 20 year old NiCd pack will be much quicker.

Sounds like a very very very old boat you have. What are you trying to do and what are what boat do you have.

Ryan