Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

New to RC Boating, need advice

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

New to RC Boating, need advice

Old 08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Fredi28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC Boating, need advice

Hello all,

I am an RC boat newbie and am in the middle of my first scratch build. I am building a Jerry Dunlap 1/10th scale crackerbox, and am ready to coat the inside of the hull with apoxy. I want to start ordering the hardware as installing that will be my next step, but since I am new to this I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of set-up would work best for my boat. There just seems to be tons of options!

Was wondering if I could get some suggestions or help as to what I should go with for:

Motor - Plans say it should be a .05 motor, but I am not really clear as to what that means. I am leaning towards brushless but I am unsure as to what the specifics of the motor need to be.

ESC

Prop - here the plans tell me to use either an Oxtura X432 or X435 prop, so which motor would run best with this prop set-up.

I am sure I will have a lot more questions along the way, and once I get the inside apoxied I will try and get some pictures up here for me. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
n.h.schmidt

Default RE: New to RC Boating, need advice

Hi
I have built two plastic CBs and have seen dozens of other CBs at races.Some built from plans like yours. Are you going to keep the boat with a submerged prop like the plans show? It was designed to use a 05 Roar Stock 27 turn brushed motor. Still available today. There is a BL equivalent motor available. Of course you can use any motor if desired if,you aren't raceing .
You should not try to up power this boat. It will flip in a blink of the eye. A means to retrive it is a must. It was common to have CB racing heats where only one boat finished upright. If you could stay upright for all the heats you were going to win at least a 3rd place,no matter how slow it was. I'm going to try to find the correct hardware for it.
n.h.schmidt
Old 08-18-2010, 05:52 PM
n.h.schmidt

Back again
Type in Vac u cracker or Vac U boat in Google. You will find there Vac U cracker boat .Click on prices and you will find all the CB hardware and even brushed motor ,if you want to go that route. Very handy. This boat is very hard to trim out with out the trim tabs. You should consider them too.
P.S.
You don't have to use the suggested props a Octura X431 plastic prop is ideal and very cheap. About $2 and gives very good performance.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Fredi28

Thank you so much for the help N.H.Schmidt! I really appreciate it. I can assure you that I will definitely be using trim tabs when I finally get her in the water. And yes I will be keeping it with a submerged prop, at least to start, because Im just trying to stick to the plans. Once I start to get more comfortable with building these I will play around with customizing it a bit more.

Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Fredi28

Just purchased all of the Cracker hardware through the Vac-U-Cracker website today. Still need to get the motor though. Anyone have any advice as to a good brushless motor for this set up?

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
atcom

I am not familiar with the size and type of the oat which you're building but i suggest you look at the very first post in the speed-electric boat forum,
It has all the information about electronics and has a chart abobut the brushless motors.All you have to know is the length and type of your boat!
The name of the post or forum or whatever is::NEW to FE? BUILDING a boat? What's a LiPo? Look Here FIRST!!I hope this helps!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Fredi28

Just wanted to give a quick update. I received some of my hardware today i.e. drive shaft, prop, motor mount, rudder, and ride plates. EIther tonight or tomorrow I will be coating the inside of the hull with apoxy. I've built the deck hatch so in the next few days I will be able to start putting everything together. I will take some pictures tomorrow and share them here.

Also I bought the Monster stock 27 turn brushed motor which I should be receiving this week. If anyone can recommend a good esc and radio for this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM
Fredi28

I coated the inside of my hull with clear epoxy yesterday and I can already feel a difference as far as the sturdiness is concerned. I think I will need to cut a new deck hatch though as it seems I built my first one a bit too big. Getting ready to start installing the hardware as well. Here are a few pictures so you can see where I'm at. Keep in mind this is my first every scratch build so please be kind! haha.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75398.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1493118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69174.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1493119  
Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
rbeugn

I'm not new, but I've always bought rtr. This time I built as 24in balsa hydroplane from a plan.I'm using 30 amp brushless Mystery (brand name) ecu and motor with 2500 miIiamp NiNH battery. I'm hoping it's as fast as my Dads Traxxas Villian Ex. My problem is how to wire it. It has a bec and no switch
Old 10-21-2010, 09:50 PM
JaredW
My Feedback: (1)

How did your motor ESC setup work? Where did you find the Trinity Monster Motor? I cannot find one. Everywhere says they are discontinued. Ihave a the whole Vac-U-Cracker kit.
ORIGINAL: Fredi28

Hello all,

I am an RC boat newbie and am in the middle of my first scratch build. I am building a Jerry Dunlap 1/10th scale crackerbox, and am ready to coat the inside of the hull with apoxy. I want to start ordering the hardware as installing that will be my next step, but since I am new to this I am having a hard time figuring out what kind of set-up would work best for my boat. There just seems to be tons of options!

Was wondering if I could get some suggestions or help as to what I should go with for:

Motor - Plans say it should be a .05 motor, but I am not really clear as to what that means. I am leaning towards brushless but I am unsure as to what the specifics of the motor need to be.

ESC

Prop - here the plans tell me to use either an Oxtura X432 or X435 prop, so which motor would run best with this prop set-up.

I am sure I will have a lot more questions along the way, and once I get the inside apoxied I will try and get some pictures up here for me. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

Mike