Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

Need voltage and amperage advice!

Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

Need voltage and amperage advice!

Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Seanthemechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need voltage and amperage advice!

Hey guys. I have a question and hopefully someone can answer me this. I have a VS1 tunnel hull boat with a brushless 3000kv outboard and it’s being powered by a Mystery Cloud water cooled 200 amp esc. The boat has not hit the water yet because I’m trying to figure out an issue I’m having. I plugged in a 4000 mah lipo to the boat, motor turns but smells like something is getting hot. I’m thinking that I don’t have enough amperage with the 4000mah battery to run this motor and esc combo. My question is, will a 3-4s battery with somewhere in the 11.1v and 5000mah+ solve this issue?
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Seanthemechanic

Btw I’m running the VXP rtr motor and Mystery Cloud 200A esc
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM
crapshooter

If you can small something burning thats not good. does the motor turn over by have nice and free ? have you programmed the esc for number of cells etc etc ? 3000 kv motor is good for 3s not 4s. not sure on the mystery brand esc,s as this could be your issue. also make sure all is plugged in correctly. MAH in a battery only determines run time your going to get from each charge ie; a 6000 mah pack will get your boat running longer per charge than a 3000 mah pack .
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might also want to check the timing and the pole count of the motor. Then program the ESC accordingly. I've never heard of either brand. I use TP Power and leo motors and Hobbywing Seaking.ESC.
It sounds like you ran the motor out of the water and if so it should not draw much in the way of current as there is no stress from not being in the water.
Also check to make sure nothing in the drive line is binding and that also means probably using some grease in the stuffing tube.
Nothing should be getting hot as there is almost no load on the motor and the size of the battery pack shouldn't matter. Once you get it into the lake, then that's when you need to check things out. Make sure you are using the correct size prop for the motor and cell count.
You may want to check out Offshore Electrics at; RC Boats by Offshore Electrics
They have an excellent forum and they sell very good stuff.
cheers and good luck

Last edited by jollyroger; 03-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A LOOSE or broken motor connection anywhere. Even inside the motor itself. Can cause severe overheating very fast. Out of the water test runs . A bad ESC control can do the same thing.
Swap the ESC with a known good one..............Then just swap the motor with a known good one.

NO NO NO loose motor connections are EVER TO BE ALLOWED !!! Even for out of water test runs.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You never want to run an electric motor out of the water for more than a few seconds. With no load all the electrical power will be converted into heat within the motor. This could be the OP’s problem, especially if he were running 4S.

The suggestions above are also good, but it is impossible to diagnose the issue from thousands of miles away. It could be as simple as a bad ESC, I’ve seen even good quality ESCs burn up when plugged in for the first time. Rare, but it happens. Were the motor or ESC bought used?