RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   MISS GEICO UPGRADES (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/10567486-miss-geico-upgrades.html)

whitemikeparks 06-10-2011 06:00 PM

MISS GEICO UPGRADES

IM SURE THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE BUT I AM NEW TO THE WHOLE THING SO BARE WITH ME PLEASE. I HAVE BOUGHT TH E PRO BOAT MISS GEICO AND IT IS PLENTY FUN BUT I WAN TO MAKE IT FASTER BUT DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOT ALL THIS STUFF. I KNOW I WANT TO UPGRADE THE ESC AND MOTOR BUT I DONT KNOW WHATS BEST. I DONT MIND SPENDING MONEY BUT I DO WANT THE BEST AND MOST RELIABLE. I WANT IT TO BE FAST WHAT MOTRO AND ESC SHOULD I GET. SO ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT WHAT COMBINATIONS SHOULD I USE FOR BEST PERFORMANCE

THANKS<br type="_moz" />

NobodyFamous 06-11-2011 04:39 AM

RE: MISS GEICO UPGRADES

step 1.  Don't type in all caps.<div>step 2. understand that the faster you go, the less reliable things CAN become.</div><div>
</div><div>I am not familiar with the miss geico, but for all boats, you need to make sure your cooling is top notch.  And always give yourself head room.  Higher C rated Lipo batteries are better.  Higher amperage ESC's will give you head room.</div><div>
</div><div>In order to determine each you should start with the motor.  Choose one that is going to work and give you the speed you want (It will also most likely be a leopard from Off Shore Electrics)  Once you know the max amp draw that motor is capable of, get an ESC with a little more (a Turnigy 180 amp) and then the biggest lipo (mah) you can fit with the highest C rating you can afford.</div><div>
</div><div>While chooseing a motor, you also need to think about what voltage you are going to run. . . 4s-6s is good.  Anything over 6s gets very pricy.</div><div>
</div><div>If It where me, I run turnigy 5000mAh Lipos from Hobby King, a Turnigy 180 amp watercooled ESC, and a 4074 or 4082 Leopard at just over 2000kv from Off Shore Electrics and what ever drive line upgrades needed also from OFE.</div><div>
</div><div>I know it's vage but it's something to think about.  Search for other peoples Miss Geico's on youtube and here, see what they put for their setup.  Copying other people is a good idea.</div>

NobodyFamous 06-11-2011 04:41 AM

more good info herehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9069147/tm.htm<div>and herehttp://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/Electric%20Build.html</div>

Von Ohain 06-12-2011 03:12 PM

Good answer, Nobody.
I just want to add in that there is plenty of Leopards on ebay. They are for 50$ and up to 100$, shipping included (brand new in box).
OSE is 88$ up to 184$ shipping EXCLUDED!
Leopard is the working class hero, you don't pay huge money for it. Thats the whole point of Leopards.

wilsta67 06-12-2011 11:04 PM

i puy in a cc 1515 2200kv and a t-180 in mine run it on 4s and she hauls
got my motor and bullets conectors off ebay and the esc from hobby king, and a water jacket from ose http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...ham-castle1515
the first time i had it out with this set up i gps it at 51.4mph and that wasnt full throttle.
you will also need a metal prop im using a Octura X442 a
u can get them from here as well as all the othe upgrades for your boat

http://kintecracing.com/Miss_Geico_Upgrades.html

http://kintecracing.com/Props.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8937

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CASTLE-CR...item5adfeffd98

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E-Maxx-Br...item4cf7bb8ff1

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1552/dsc00033uag.jpg[/URL]

PhilMenard 01-21-2013 04:39 PM

I'm moving into r/c boats (got tired of trucks in the dirt) and just bought a Pro Boat Miss Geico 17". Ran it last weekend and as cool as it looks, it ain't no spee demon. Sure, I wasn't expecting the performance of a 2-lIpo big boat but I'd like to punch it up a bit.
I've ordereed some small LiPo batteries to replace the 1200mAh NiMh which should help, but , any suggestions as to motor / esc upgade?

*delete M i k e u p delete* 01-21-2013 06:23 PM

I don't know motor size but a Octura 632 prop b/sharpened would wake it up. 3S might be alittle to much.

siberianhusky 01-22-2013 04:06 AM

Reinforce the hull before you do anything, it's very common for these boats to come apart when people push them too hard, the hull/deck seam is very weak and many have split along the seams.
Neither Aquacraft or Proboat make a real quality boat hull, good for beginners and running on the stock setup but there is a reason you never see the serious guys modding these and racing them. Even in the spec classes people just use the motors and install them into different hulls.
Gotta remember its about only 400$ for the entire boat ready to run, easy to spend that just on a quality esc and motor!
I started off with rtr boats when I switched to electric from nitro, quickly learned the limitations based on the quality of the hulls.
I'd leave it stock and save up enough money to build a really good boat, maybe sell this one to fund it. You're pretty much putting a fully built 454 into a Chevette!
I still have my Motley Crew, back to box stock almost, great running boat and I'm happy with the speed, no drama, the boat always runs. When I want speed I run one of my boats built to handle it.
Keep this in mind when building a boat - Fast, Reliable or cheap. Choose only two!
Do a search for Miss Geico crash damage and see what you come up with

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...b806dcd92af993

give this a read, most of the guys in this thread are the top racers in the states and the guy who designed your boat! Some ideas about reinforcing it as well.

enelson4 01-23-2013 04:26 AM

Many of us think even a $400 expenditure is too high. I also disagree with the statement that Pro boat and Aqua craft boats are poorly built. Example, my SV27 took a full speed crash into a rock breakwater. Damage, yes - but it continued thru the day with duct tape. It took a couple hours in the shop, but its running fine. Any boat that took that crash was going to have comparable damage. I think it does a disservice to the hobby to suggest that beginners need to spend a gazillion dollars to enjoy FE boating. Buy what you can afford and enjoy hopping it up with new parts as time goes by. A Turnigy motor may not hop aboat up as much as a Castle or Neu, but its a heck of a lot cheaper.

siberianhusky 01-23-2013 05:55 AM

Whatever, looks like reading comprehension is not your strong point, go back and actually read the post, slowly this time!
How about follow up with my suggestion to search for crash damage Miss Geico? Did you do that? No?
Did you read the linked thread? probably not!
I also have a SV, if you compare that hull to any of the later releases from AQ you would realize the construction differences between the hulls are massive! My SV hull weighs more empty than my Motley due to a much thicker lay up, thicker than the Revolt as well by a long shot.
I got in a turn one crash between my Motley and a SV, the SV drove away with scratches, my motley had a smashed in sponson, basically destroyed the one side of the hull. You can't compare apples to oranges!
Neither boat flipped, was a simple side to side kiss in a corner.

siberianhusky 01-23-2013 05:57 AM

"As I showed in my race-prep thread... it's a good idea to foam along the seams of this boat to keep it from flexing on impact, and popping the seams. Even the Delta Force hulls need this reinforcement. Sorry guys... it's just the realities of cheap RTR fiberglass. Not a lot I can do about it... I don't have that much influence over the manufacturing or materials used, though I've tried to. A little prep work up-front will prevent this type of thing from happening, which is why I always try to do a prep thread for you guys..."

This is a direct quote from the designer of the boat in question (Darin Jordan) from the link I posted!

enelson4 01-23-2013 12:02 PM

Sorry I offended you - not my intent. I'm always concerned that we discourage a lot of newbies by suggesting that what they have is not going to work. That little Miss Geico is probably not going to go much faster than stock without getting real unstable, so best thing to do is enjoy it stock or move up to an SV or similar. I hadn't realized that Aquacraft had cheapened their boats. Mine is one of the originals to which I added a Turnigy 3664 1800 motor and 90 amp esc. It goes faster than my fingers on the controls do. I really admire the guys who can handle 60+ mph boats. I think at 60+ I'd be on the rocks all the time. I do believe that in the many races I've watched that a Springer Tug would place since 4 of 6 boats finish the race floating upside down, and that includes in international events.

My advice to newbies is to run what you have for a while, then when it gets dull, modify it until you can't control it. If you want more speed then move up. As indicated above, my SV is about all these septuagenarian reflexes can handle. And as I said, no offence intended. And please make the ice go away. All I can do now is look at my boats, since its 10 degrees out in Celina.

By the way, I was reading the post by the guy who hit a turtle. I had hopped up a Reef Racer with brushless, 2.4 radio, etc. On first run it looked great until I hit a turtle, did a dive, popped to the surface and slowly sank while we watched it get lower and lower in the water. Just got the rescue boat to it when it went down with new hardware and a new 2200 lipo into 20 feet of water where it still resides. Moral - watch what you do to modify cheap boats. Moral 2 - ALWAYS have flotation in your boats.

PhilMenard 01-25-2013 04:01 PM

Didn't mean to start an argument here, just looking for some hop up ideas for my MG17. I'm going to run it tomorrow with the small LiPo batteries I got this week. I do hear you though about trying to get too much out of a small RTR boat. <div>It is what it is I guess. Maybe I should also look for a bigger boat to experiment with. After years of racing dirt oval, boy do I have a collection of brushed and brushless motors to play with. Right now my thinking is a Pro Boat Apache 24 and play with bigger motors.</div><div>If I'm looking to spend say $300, what would be a good (better) boat to play with? I prefer cats over monos though. Thanks again for helping out this newbie.</div>

enelson4 01-25-2013 04:43 PM

Both Proboat and Aqua craft have boats in your price range. The only question I would have about the Apache is it has a steerable out drive which makes it difficult to upgrade. I prefer a boat with a stinger and surface prop and rudder steering. Simpler, and a lot easier to work on. One of our group is running a full size Miss Geico and it flies on 5s. It does want to porpoise a bit, but that may be due to the trim being not quite right yet. I know you would prefer a cat, but the SV27 has been around long enough that used ones are available at reasonable prices, and it's incredibly easy to modify. First modification if it doesn't already have one is a second fin on the transom. Like RC cars, boats need some service, such as regular greasing of the shaft. I often tear mine down after a days running, but that's because I like to mess around with them.
P.S. Hobby King has some very reasonably priced boats, but quality control leaves something to be desired. Most require a pretty complete user tear down before hitting the water, and from what I've read on forums, the stock speed controls seem to let out the magic smoke pretty regularly. :(

PhilMenard 01-25-2013 05:09 PM

I hear you about tear-down. The typical drill in dirt oval car/truck racing is Friday night you charge batteries, you spend Saturday at the track and Sunday morning you tear them down, order the parts you broke from eBay. Thursday following you install these replacement parts, Friday you charge batteries and around and around we go. That's the main reason I've bailed on truck racing.<div>I've been studying boats on YouTube over the last several months and it's confusing. You look at a particular boat, 5 guys say it's the best thing since sliced bread, 5 guys say it's a POS ! </div><div>As it is now, I'm looking at Miss Geico 24, Apache 24 and the Aquacraft UL1 Superior. That's the one that's really ringing my bell, the UL1. I have a collection of motors, NiMh and LiPo batteries left over from my dirt racing which will allow me to play swapping motors.</div><div>I've looked at the HobbyKing boats too but I'm not sure. A few guys at the dirt oval club have bought from HK with mixed results.</div><div>
</div>

enelson4 01-26-2013 04:01 AM

Aqua craft UL 1 will go like blazes stock. Make sure you have a recovery boat. Hydros are quick, but with that come a lot of flips. I think you might be happiest with the MG. One of my buddies has it and really likes it.