RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Electric 1/4 Scale Racing Crackerbox plans??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/11051798-electric-1-4-scale-racing-crackerbox-plans.html)

EuroXS4 04-21-2012 10:42 PM

Electric 1/4 Scale Racing Crackerbox plans???

Hey everyone Anyone have a good accurate set of 1/4 scale racing crackerbox plans???I've search and havent found anything substantial sorry if this topic has been beaten to death.Also has anyone done a electric crackerbox on this scale in electric??Just wondering.I believe 1/4 scale comes out to roughly 50inches.Someone correct me if im wrong.

Tidnab 04-22-2012 04:13 AM

RE: Electric 1/4 Scale Racing Crackerbox plans???

There are Dunlap plans for sale at http://www.airagestore.com/plans/rc-...rackerbox.html ,but the frame on the plans are not the same from the left to right side of them. I used the revised frames diagrams from the Oxford County Crackerbox site and printed them out and took them to a print shop and had them enlarged to the proper sizes.It would be easier and cheaper to get a crackerbox kit from www.zippkits.com and you can get good hardware from them also.

EuroXS4 04-22-2012 05:26 AM

I do agree with you there i sounds like the kit from zippkitsis a good deal how come hardware kit are so expensive and is it worth buyingthis kit and converting to all electric or perhaps i should just make my own and scale it down a bit maybe to 1/6 scale so its more suitable for electric motor?I was gonna purchase a brushless motor and all the works can anyone tell me if its a good way to go?

Tidnab 04-22-2012 06:51 AM

You could scale plans up or down to get the size you need for electric power.There's a 1/10 scale on the Airage site that could be scaled up . http://www.airagestore.com/plans/rc-...-runabout.html or a set of plans from RC Modeler Magazine that's for a 37" cracker, might be to your liking. http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=2031

Tidnab 04-22-2012 08:05 AM

How about this 1/6 scale already built. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-scale-cr...item1e6d4bc936

EuroXS4 04-22-2012 01:24 PM

Can anyone tell me if those 1/6 scale plans are accurate or will they have to be redone just like the plans from rcstore???

EuroXS4 04-22-2012 04:56 PM

Ok can anyone suggest what size brushless motor I should be running in this boat.It's gonna be 37 inches longe and 13.5 wide crackerbox.Also recommendation for motor,ecs,batteries??and servo??anyone tried installing a jetdrive on one of these??worth the hassle?any advantages??

rcairboater 04-22-2012 05:33 PM

Try here... http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ght=Crackerbox
Also search crackerbox in the search

clockworkclock 04-23-2012 08:25 AM

A good motor for that size hull can be a variety of sizes.
My 39" mono used to run a neu 1515 motor and to be honest, that motor looked way too small for the boat yet it pushed it with ease.
Now I am running a castle neu 1717, they don't sell these anymore but they are very impressive. for a boat of your size, you might choose to go with a leopard motor.
maybe the upper 3600's to the 5600's. if you want to go with a more pricey setup of a neu motor, you can go from the 1515's up to the 1527's I think.
other brands include turnigy, they have some 5692 sized inrunners for a fair price on hobbyking. asides the usual inrunners some people run outrunners, these get tricky since you still need the speed inrunners get, while outrunners are more suited to higher torque. not many outrunner specifically designed for boats. there used to be little screamers around but I haven't seen them in a while.
Good luck with choosing your motor, I wouldn't recomend one motor persay but something in the range of the aforementioned ranges should be fine.

Clock.

EuroXS4 04-23-2012 06:56 PM

I am thinking of running a Leopard 40x82 1250kv motor.Will this be suitable for my boat??Also which ESC would you guys recommend??Also batteries??perhaps (2) 3s 6500mah 25c or 30c li-po pack wired in parallel??

clockworkclock 04-25-2012 06:39 PM

The 4082 sounds good, what is the rated power on those?
at 1250kv, you would probably want to start on 5s and then move up to 6s.
so when you say you want 2 3s batts in parallel I think you mean series to up your voltage.
I am not particularly good and suggesting escs, I don't like running 6s escs on 6s. My esc handles up to 8s and I only run it at 5s right now until I find the right prop for my boat.
so at your 1250 kv you will definitely need a 6s capable esc.
You could go with a castle 240 amp esc. those have a lot of headroom on the amps side which is nice. should hold up okay.
I think a turnigy 180 might be okay but i've never ran one on 6s. I've heard some people say they are fine on 6s, others say to keep away from those on 6s.
My boat runs a Fightercat 8S 300A esc.
I remember when I first got it, the footprint of the esc is ridiculous. it's about 6inches by 2.5.
oh, somebody showed me something cool, I think it was an hv 130amp ESC, I believe it was a new hobbywing.
Here is a link where you can find their escs; http://www.hobbywing.com/product.asp?bigclassid=12
perhaps other can chime in and give better suggestions.
because the castle and fightercat cost a fair bit, the castle i think costs a little more, not completely sure.
Clock.

blizard05 04-26-2012 03:49 AM

Would you be interested in a zipp kit Nbox,w hardware for $250 + shipping? em me for pics Larry

EuroXS4 04-28-2012 08:09 AM

blizzard email sent.please check and reply thanks.

EuroXS4 04-28-2012 08:20 AM

Clockwork you are correct i would like to run (2) 3s lipo's running them in parallel meaning doubling the amps yet voltage stays the same(as in series). So when running 2(3s) in parallel will give me 6s.I would like to get a decent ecs but no break the bank running a 240amp esc would be nice.Perhaps maybe ill see if i can find a 200amp esc that within my price range.Also as far as manfacturers go for the esc and pricing what is the main difference??Cooling jackets??or just programability of the units??Oh yea hthe specs on the Leopard motor are:

<span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Model: LBP4082/2.5Y</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Max Amps: 82A</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Lipo Cell: 5-10s</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Max Power: 3500W</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">KV(RPM/Volt): 1250</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Resistance: 0.0128</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">No-load Current : 1.6A</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Diameter&times;Length (mm): &Phi;39.8&times;82</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Mounting hole depth: 7mm</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Length of extend Shaft : 20mm</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Shaft Diameter (mm): &Phi;5.0</span><br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; " /><span style="font-family: arial, helvetica, geneva, sans-serif; ">Weight: 485g</span>

Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

FYI:I was and still am a r/c car and trucks guy however decided to pick up r/c boats because I found a small private resovoir where I can run only electric hence why I am seeking to build a electric boat compares to gas or nitro.Plus I had alot of nitro cars and trucks that turned our to be more of a hassle than anything.I'd say Gas is the way to go but if you can run gas then electric is the next best thing.<br type="_moz" />