RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   ProBoat Miss Geico 24 RTR - 1st Run (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/11493251-proboat-miss-geico-24-rtr-1st-run.html)

propeffect 04-27-2013 03:05 AM

ProBoat Miss Geico 24 RTR - 1st Run

Hi everyone. Things looks like a great forum!

I've a new comer to the sport of RC boating and just picked up the ProBoat Miss Geico 24 RTR.

So far my experience has been fairly disappointing, perhaps the experts here could shed some light on my issues/questions below?

1. Using the charger provided (Dynamite 2A NiMH AC Charger: (DYN4113)), the battery provided (Speedpack 2400mAh Ni-MH 6-Cell Flat with EC3 Conn
by Dynamite (DYN1060EC)) only lasts 40 seconds before the boat really slows down, starts to turn in one direction by itself and eventually stops responding to throttle (steering is responsive when throttle stops).

NOTE: The same is happening with two DuraTrax 5000mAH packs charged with the same charger. Each time Icharge Iconnect it, I hit the start button, and an hour later (sometimes less) the charges reads GREEN for charged. So I try and use the pack.... with the results above.

2. What is the typical range on this boat? I am loosing control (no response for a few seconds - the boat stops responding to Throttle and Steering and seems dead in the water - for 1-2 seconds when only about 100' away. I range check Tx and Rx before running. Tx batts are fully changed AA.

Any advice / direction on sorting these issues would be great - as it is the boat is not fun and hardly usable compared to what was advertised.

Appreciate your comments and insight.
Thank you.

NobodyFamous 04-27-2013 05:58 AM

RE: ProBoat Miss Geico 24 RTR - 1st Run

This all sounds to me like a bad charger.  If it is a 2A charger it should take at least 2 hours to charge up the 5000mAh packs (maybe 3 if they are completely dead)<div>
</div><div>I do not have a miss geico, but assume it is running a BEC (no separate battery for the Rx) - if so, when the main pack goes dead (or close) the BEC can not supply enough voltage to the Rx, and it will cut out like that.</div>

marky_dude 05-09-2013 02:01 PM

Hi Propeffect,

I get the same experience with my new Miss Geico.
Works fine for around a minute and then stops repsonding.
Rudder turns but no throttle.

If you find any answers please share.

Thanks

Mark

enelson4 05-09-2013 04:41 PM

Put lipo batteries in it.

mach23 06-15-2013 09:40 AM

Did you by any chance get this figured out? i just got this boat and it does that same thing out of the box. Horizon hobby has been no help at all... Did i just buy a paperweight? Help please if you got your figured out! Thanks

ORIGINAL: propeffect

Hi everyone. Things looks like a great forum!

I've a new comer to the sport of RC boating and just picked up the ProBoat Miss Geico 24 RTR.

So far my experience has been fairly disappointing, perhaps the experts here could shed some light on my issues/questions below?

1. Using the charger provided (Dynamite 2A NiMH AC Charger: (DYN4113)), the battery provided (Speedpack 2400mAh Ni-MH 6-Cell Flat with EC3 Conn
by Dynamite (DYN1060EC)) only lasts 40 seconds before the boat really slows down, starts to turn in one direction by itself and eventually stops responding to throttle (steering is responsive when throttle stops).

NOTE: The same is happening with two DuraTrax 5000mAH packs charged with the same charger. Each time Icharge Iconnect it, I hit the start button, and an hour later (sometimes less) the charges reads GREEN for charged. So I try and use the pack.... with the results above.

2. What is the typical range on this boat? I am loosing control (no response for a few seconds - the boat stops responding to Throttle and Steering and seems dead in the water - for 1-2 seconds when only about 100' away. I range check Tx and Rx before running. Tx batts are fully changed AA.

Any advice / direction on sorting these issues would be great - as it is the boat is not fun and hardly usable compared to what was advertised.

Appreciate your comments and insight.
Thank you.

marky_dude 06-15-2013 09:49 AM

Hi
I bought another battery a 5100nimh battery. I am not ready for Lipos as yet.

The Horizen web site said that the battey and charger that comes with the unit is a little iffy.
They advise that the first charge should leave the battery a little warm, which it did not when I tried to charge mine.
So they advise to charge the battery and then then check the temperature straight away. If the battery is not a little warm then, charge the battery again.

I did this and the second or third time, bingo!
The battery that comes with the boat is really not much use, but you should get at least ten minutes.
When I bought the new one, it was amazing the difference. (still had to charge twice the first time)
The boat goes twice as quick and it lasts twice as long.

Hope this helps.

I am a newcomer so please bear with me :-)

Mark

mach23 06-15-2013 10:19 AM

what battery was it that you bought? Link? does the original charger charge the new battery? thanks

ORIGINAL: marky_dude

Hi
I bought another battery a 5100nimh battery. I am not ready for Lipos as yet.

The Horizen web site said that the battey and charger that comes with the unit is a little iffy.
They advise that the first charge should leave the battery a little warm, which it did not when I tried to charge mine.
So they advise to charge the battery and then then check the temperature straight away. If the battery is not a little warm then, charge the battery again.

I did this and the second or third time, bingo!
The battery that comes with the boat is really not much use, but you should get at least ten minutes.
When I bought the new one, it was amazing the difference. (still had to charge twice the first time)
The boat goes twice as quick and it lasts twice as long.

Hope this helps.

I am a newcomer so please bear with me :-)

Mark

Goldenduff 06-15-2013 11:14 AM

Sometimes "smart" chargers are too clever. Perhaps the peak detection is too sensitive and detecting a false peak and stops charging. Either change the peak detection or charge on a dumb charger until warm. All the best<div>
</div>

mach23 06-15-2013 05:53 PM

when i charge the battery, it says its charged after 15 min. the battery is hot? faulty battery or charger maybe?

Goldenduff 06-15-2013 11:15 PM

Hot might be damaged. Can you take a volt reading? If getting in to electric you should really invest in a volt meter and power meter....

mach23 06-16-2013 06:51 AM

i can borrow a voltage meter and test it. assuming its fully charged what should it read? thanks for the help, this is all really new to me and i would just like to be able to figure out my problem and use my boat!

785boats 06-16-2013 03:43 PM

The old metal cells should have a "Formative Charge" as their first charge. That means that they should be discharged to 0.9V /cell at 0.5 Amp load.. That's 5.4V for a 6 cell pack.
Then charged up at 1/10th C. That's 0.24A for the 2400mah pack, & 0.51A for the 5100mah pack. This avoids the 'False Peaking' & gets the chemistry working properly & believe it or not, balances the cells.
The next few cycles can be charged at 1C as per normal. 2.4A for the 2400mah pack & 5.1A for the 5100mah pack.
But don't over discharge them. As soon as the boat starts to slow bring it in. Let them cool & recharge them.
After that, run them as hard as you like.
The 'Formative Charge ' sequence should be done every 10 or so cycles. This will ensure well balanced long lasting packs.
Also. Store them fully charged. Not totally flat. Just top them up before use.
If they are not used for a long time. 3 months or more. Do the formative charge sequence again before use.
Hope that helps a bit if you are going to use the old round cells.
Aaaaah the memories of racing with these cells.

Cheers.
Paul.

marky_dude 06-17-2013 03:07 AM

Thanks Paul, good post! The charger that comes with these boats, dont have any subtle settings. Just on or off.
But after the formative charges, they batteries really start to show the differences.

Thanks again.

M