RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   brushless nqd arrow-wind (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/7240888-brushless-nqd-arrow-wind.html)

dirtysouth31 03-17-2008 07:49 PM

brushless nqd arrow-wind

1 Attachment(s)
so i got bored one day..........bought a arrowwind on the bay for cheap..ran it stock for laughs mostly,then went home and ripped it apart....installed a feigo 12 s 380 brushless and a team orion captain 45 esc with supervee cooling plates installed..micro servo 3s 2200 lipo and mini cat racing micro hydro hardware...130 flex with a 632 prop stolen from my renegade..

alloutcustom 03-17-2008 07:53 PM

RE: brushless nqd arrow-wind

That didnt tur out too bad:D good job. I hate nqd boats tho

dirtysouth31 03-17-2008 08:11 PM

heres the vid

www.diegoboy.com/media/arrow-wind02.mpg

RC_Bob 03-18-2008 12:12 AM

Wow, looks pretty good.
I was gonna go for the same idea myself with an SV27 system[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Is that rigger hull strong enough?

Stokes 03-18-2008 02:31 PM

HAHA! so you're diegoboy. Good work dude - had already seen your videos on youtube. my ESC kept cutting out, it only ran ok for about 20 secs - 30A is nowhere near enough for the setup i was running - but here's my vid anyway.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=wn0VUjPjXtI

yours is much faster, but i think with a better ESC and 3s you might have some competition ;-)

keep it up

Stokes 03-18-2008 02:36 PM

yeah the plastic hull is strong enough, turns out it's a clone of the graupner silver bullet. Needs some serious water-proofing though - must be taken apart and all the joints siliconed. Also the stuffing tube comes out at an angle. This means that the boat bounces up and down at the rear. Either a strut or a bent stuffing tube, as the silver bullet has. Strength isn't a problem...once waterproofing issues are solved and ride-pads have been stuck on - it's quite a good intro into riggers

Diegoboy 03-19-2008 05:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Stokes

HAHA! so you're diegoboy. Good work dude - had already seen your videos on youtube. my ESC kept cutting out, it only ran ok for about 20 secs - 30A is nowhere near enough for the setup i was running - but here's my vid anyway.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=wn0VUjPjXtI

yours is much faster, but i think with a better ESC and 3s you might have some competition ;-)

keep it up
No...
I"M Diegoboy. :D

Stokes 03-20-2008 01:21 AM

AAAAAAGH sorry man - just saw the url of the vid and assumed it was you posting ;-) My apologies.

Diegoboy 03-20-2008 06:04 AM

No problems. Dirty & I run boats whenever we can. I will post his videos most of the time, but I'll post all of mine. :)

Stokes 03-22-2008 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok - so finally i got the rebuild finished. I installed a walkera 380m 3200 kv motor, 50A towerpro watercooled speed control, 4s lipo, homemade rudder and waterpick-up, bent stuffing tube (to do away with the strut), graupner turn-fin. Video soon i hope.

Stokes 03-23-2008 09:24 AM

so here's a video of the trial run. unfortunately it's too bloody short cos the bloke who shot the video was kinda in a hurry....(actually he didn't know how to work the camera)....so now i have to wait for another sunny day. that's probably next year. or never....AAAAAAAARGH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9aSMdZWGks

how difficult can pressing a button be?

dirtysouth31 03-23-2008 10:14 AM

loks good man..try running it without the turn fin and see what happens..even though i show one in pictures i run it without and it handles much better.

Stokes 03-23-2008 01:08 PM

i've run a roundnose hydroplane without the fin...and it's quite entertaining, boat kinda drifts - you've got to leave quite a bit of room for understeer. i'll try leaving the mount in and unscrewing the fin itself, it's one of the graupner flyback ones, so that's easy - worth a try! on closer inspection it turns out the prop's missing quite a big chunk....oops! hope the motor bearings are ok....

now as regards props, i tried a couple out, and here are the results:

30mm low pitch - cavitation, boat slow
34mm high pitch - not enough revs, boat slow
35mm high pitch - turns out is a left-rotating prop (the idiot! - ever seen a rigger going backwards?)
32mm medium pitch - fast acceleration, low top speed
34mm medium pitch - slower acceleration but decent top speed, as seen in the video
38mm, low pitch (eco type prop) - faster acceleration but slower top speed.

the results from the first four props make sense i think, but the 38mm has me stumped. It looks fairly different to the others but seemed to work quite well. Can't understand why boat went slower though....will try more rigorous testing to find out.

egneg 03-23-2008 06:13 PM

For some reason the vid doesn't work for me. If we get together I am afraid you guys will make eat water spray as I still run brushed motors.

Diegoboy 03-23-2008 08:25 PM

Here is [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20FD2qVT2Y]Dirty's Video[/link] in all it's "functional" glory (for those without the proper codec)

Stokes 03-24-2008 12:48 PM

could you post a vid though? depends on what brushed motor you run...there are brushed pletts that would give some brushless motors a run for their money...depends on a zillion and one things, and mine at least still needs quite a bit of fine tuning. I think the graupner silver bullet was intended to be run on a 540 Dr. Speed brushed motor, or a small outrunner (that'd be interesting to see!), so my guess is you could still get that hull cracking with a brushed setup (assuming NQD copied the silver bullet well that is, and allowing for the obvious differences between GRP and plastic)...

egneg 03-24-2008 04:34 PM

I will have to see what can be done with a camera in vid mode as that's all I have available. I just got done reworking a prather 225ss prop and haven't had a chance to see what it will do - hope it helps or I may have really mucked it up.

Stokes 03-24-2008 04:43 PM

for all their defects i only use CF or plastic props, i guess cos of the fear of mucking the beryllium bronze or ss ones (and laziness ultimately). There's a 3 part video on youtube on how to go about it and it's quite good actually, but i keep procrastinating and my unsharpened metal props are still lying there - unloved and forgotten ;-) I have sharpened props before, but not balanced, so i got mediocre results - one day perhaps.....

Stokes 03-30-2008 10:23 AM

finally i managed to get a goodish vid of the rigger. At the beginning of the run the thing starts screeching like a banshee, dunno what was wrong, but after a few seconds it was alright again and running quite smoothly. Think i need a bit more weight at the back cos it's skipping a bit, but otherwise not a bad run. It was a bad day for my redbird mono though, decided to sell it after it blew over for the zillionth time. And the flood chamber doesn't work with lipos (maybe with the new life-po cells you can get them lower down in the hull, with the square lipos you can't fit them lower than the drive shaft and that's just not good enough.) In any case - here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDcdBRVOH0g

paul73rc 06-27-2008 12:02 AM

Hey guys, After looking on eBay and seeing some videos, I am interested in buying one of these boats and upgrading it. I have a spare 4450KV BL motor and a spare ESC aswell, along with some radio gear. However I was just curious, on one of Stokes post he stated "34mm medium pitch - slower acceleration but decent top speed, as seen in the video". As I would be after more speed than acc, can I buy any 34mm prop or are there all different kinds.

So, what I am asking is: what is a reccomended prop for this rigger to get high speeds out of it using a 4450KV motor? Will the stock prop hold up?

Cheers, hopefully someone will reply as this thread kind of died out! lol

Stokes 06-27-2008 01:21 AM

Hi paul, good luck with your project. but perhaps you could give us some more info? what kind of BL motor is it? i assume it's an inrunner, but what size? 36 (540), 28 (380/400)? long/medium/short can? what sort of ESC have you got? props come in different pitches not just diameter sizes. If you're using an M4 prop stub you can use the graupner K-series props. I've tried the other kinds from Robbe and Graupner and have to say i'm not impressed at all (too much flex and don't seem to work much)....keep us posted will ya? Some other useful posts you can consult though - i think one thread "prop geometry" should be interesting....also see the predator outrigger project by fiend...he's experimented quite a bit on a similar setup.

Best,
A

paul73rc 06-27-2008 02:14 AM

i already have 2 nqd jet boats that i custom built, would i be wasting my time getting one of these? should i get a top qualit brand instead?

Stokes 06-27-2008 02:39 AM

depends how much time and money you've got.

1) If you've got loads of time and money - buy a top quality brand like MHZ, Hydro & Marine or anything else that takes your fancy. Buy fully adjustable hardware and a ton of props and fiddle around until the thing flies.

2) If you've got loads of time and not much money - build a predator from plans - pretty satisfying at the end of it

3) If you haven't got much time and are stingy like me - go the NQD way, although probably not such good results as with the other two....

paul73rc 06-27-2008 03:07 AM

I will look into some of those brands you mentioned. What type of hull would you think is best for top speeds on calm water. Such as, deep vee, shallow vee, outrigger, tunnel hull, hydro etc. Cheers and thanks for your time!

Stokes 06-27-2008 05:08 AM

Hello again....for all out top speed nothing beats the rigger. Built light, strong and adjustable it's the way to go if speed is what you're after. Having said that, they are the most difficult to set up, and are usually designed to turn only one way - straight line speed is the main aim here. Have a look at Taylor's builds - he's one of the rigger gurus here and can surely tell you much more about them than I can.

Best