RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Aquacraft Mini Wildcat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9289657-aquacraft-mini-wildcat.html)

lapistola28 11-29-2009 03:10 PM

Aquacraft Mini Wildcat

OK..... Call it an addiction ! I just ordered a Mini Wildcat . I'm having soooo much fun with my Mini Thunder that i figured this was an obvious next purchase . I upgraded to the T400 motor and have played with props on the Mini Thunder , now i'm running a three blader on it that i've added a bit of rake to . It turns so much better and there is no cavitation . I will post a video as soon as i figure out how (a bit slow when it comes totechnology) . Has anybody else bought a Mini Wildcat yet ? Will the hop up motors from the Mini Rio and Mini Thunder (T400) fit in it ? A little mini with 2 motors was too much to pass up . It was cheaper than the Mini Thunder and Mini Rio .... I hope this is not a bad sign !!! I sure wish Grimracer would take the mini's seriously and offer some really cool upgrades for them , trial and error is cool but it would be nice to just be able to buy a package that you know works . Well i hope there is someone else out there with the same disease as me who has bought one already and can give me the heads up on what to expect .

lapistola28 12-02-2009 12:33 PM

RE: Aquacraft Mini Wildcat

The wildcat showed up at 7:30 this morning . I had it out on the creek at lunch time , i have to say ..... After watching my Mini Thunder go .... This is quite a bit slower . Hopefully not for long though . Any suggestions ? Rebuilder ? Any ideas ? You helped out a lot last time , i hope you have some ideas this time too . The 380 sized motors won't fit ( without tearing the boat up ) . Are there brushless motors this small ? Are there brushless ESC's that can feed 2 motors ? Any help would be greatly appreciated .

rebuilder 12-02-2009 09:41 PM

You cant run 2 brushless motor with one ESC. I'm not a fan of dual prop boats.....................single is more efficient and less costly. You could run two esc's or just convert it to single drive.

rebuilder 12-02-2009 09:51 PM

Why cant you put 380 size motors in it? You could mod the mounts for them to fit...................................

13BT 12-03-2009 04:15 AM

I love the look of this boat. And the twin drivelines make this a bit more "scale" I suppose. But it looks too slow on the videos. When a brushless version is released, I would certainly be interested.

lapistola28 12-03-2009 07:05 AM

Thanks Rebuilder .... You have a wealth of information . i bought an extra motor mount just to see how hard it would be ( space is tight ) . I think it would be quite difficult to do ..... Maybe there is a 270 size brushless out there ?

rebuilder 12-03-2009 08:16 AM

Like this?.............................. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4197&Product_Name=HXT_24 45_(370L)_2900kv_Brushless_Inrunner

lapistola28 12-03-2009 08:37 AM

Like i said ... You are the man !!! i may have to wait for the new year for this ... The wife is getting a bit upset with how much my  "cheap boats " are costing . Not to mention my big gas boat . I just bought a new engine pipe and carb for that one .... She is pi$$ed !!!

rebuilder 12-03-2009 12:06 PM

Do you ever run your boats out into the Bremuda "Triangle"?????? OOOOOOOOOOOOOhhh[X(] ...................lost another one.......................

lapistola28 12-03-2009 12:18 PM

To be honest .... I don't need help from the Bermuda Triangle to wreck boats ...... I'm pretty proficiant at it myself  . :D Besides it doesn't exist , we all know it's just a .................................................. .................................

rebuilder 12-03-2009 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: lapistola28

To be honest .... I don't need help from the Bermuda Triangle to wreck boats ...... I'm pretty proficiant at it myself . :D Besides it doesn't exist , we all know it's just a .................................................. .................................
Hello..................Hello...................... ..Lapistola!!!.................................... ............................[X(]

Grimracer 12-06-2009 06:18 PM

the extra set of holes in the motor mounts...... yep.. set up for a set of 370 motors..

Have fun

Grim

rebuilder 12-06-2009 06:45 PM

I was thinkin you could make 380's fit.............................they're only 4mm bigger diameter...........here is one to look at for dual propulsion, or the one i suggested for your other boat. This motor is 2600kv and the other is 2400. I think you can get away with the 2600 since you're running two. Man, if you set this one up i wanna see it running on Video!![X(]

lapistola28 12-06-2009 06:52 PM

can you do this with one lipo ? i'm not too sure you can fit 2 in there . Not to sound daft but what is the difference between 370 and 380 motor ? I tried my T400 onto the spare motor mount and i guess i could hollow out the center hole ?

rebuilder 12-06-2009 07:13 PM

A 370 is generally a 24mm and a 380 a 28mm dia. You can use one lipo feeding both esc's. A batt like this would give you good run time and could feed both http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack

I'll throw this out too................you need to figure your weight and CG http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._20C_Lipo_Pack

rebuilder 12-06-2009 09:53 PM

Here is a parallel harness, you will need something similar to this to power both esc's. Put your own coneectors on unless you are using these.............i would go with traxxas connectors personally

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD181&P=7

lapistola28 12-10-2009 07:54 AM

I installed a pair of T370 Electrifly motors in the the little beast ..... It goes like hell .... BUT ...... After only 35 - 40 seconds of running the battery leads to the ESC get hot to the point of melting (even a little smoke) . Is this is an Amperage problem ? Why are the leads such a small diameter ? Can the ESC be dismantled and heavier gauge wires ( similar to the battery ) be installed ?  The motors are not getting hot at all ............... I know what Rebuilder will say ... GO BRUSHLESS ! ..... I was just trying something on the cheap dude . After Christmas .... I swear ! I was just looking for a quick fix to hold me over !

damfurst 12-10-2009 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You might be able to install larger wires to within very close of the rx/esc cover, but I'll bet you can't take it apart if it's like the mini rio or mini thunder one. The pic is of a universal 50amp brushed motor esc from china[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Marine-50A-Speed-Controller-ESC-for-RC-Boat-boot-BW_W0QQitemZ150396512412QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_C ontrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230454a89c]50 amp esc[/link]. I have used this esc in several different setups, one being a setup for twin 400 12v motors in a 22" cat. I did have to make up two Y pigtails to be able to hook the motors up to it. But it worked out very well. This boat will run for a long time on a 2300mah battery and nothing gets hot. In order for you to use this esc however you would have to change your receiver as yours is a rx/esc combo. I hope this helps some.

drivedog 12-10-2009 05:23 PM

How come the mini wildcat does not use counter rotating props ??? I was under the impression boats dont like to run with the was the min is set up ??? Could someone please chime in and explain ???
Thanks I am really curious !!!

My last project was going mach 3.1 until there was a glitch http://www.rockethigh.com

drivedog 12-10-2009 05:26 PM

OOOps I was under the impression boats dont like to run very well in the configuration the mini is in (same rotating props)

Grimracer 12-11-2009 05:21 PM

Drive dog

You were misled. They can indeed run very well.

Grim

lapistola28 12-11-2009 05:26 PM

Mr Grim Racer ... How is it that the wires are sooooo small on the battery leads ? Any slight upgrade to the Motors and POOF up in smoke . Perhaps a larger guage wire for the ESC is in order ?

rebuilder 12-11-2009 06:10 PM

The electronics in the stock boat were made for the battery and motor it came with...............any larger/hotter motor will pull more amps and heat things up.................an inexpensive rc will have bare minimum tolerance. Did you get your Brushless stuff in yet...................im getting anxious

lapistola28 12-11-2009 06:54 PM

I know .... What vyou said is true ..... The brushless stuff is still not here .... I'm getting anxious too ! The Cooling jacket and props are here from Offshore Electrics .... It's just a tease !

rebuilder 12-11-2009 07:11 PM

The big rooster tail is just a few days away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [X(]