RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   what do FETS do on an ESC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9575945-what-do-fets-do-esc.html)

nick 30 03-12-2010 01:07 PM

what do FETS do on an ESC

could people please tell me what FETS on an ESCdo please ???

could i remove a FET board of one esc and put it on the same make and model ESC, i ask because i knakered a turnigy 120a speedo (somehow, the motor just spins to full chat) and want to use as much of the parts as i can so i'm thinking about putting the FET board on my working esc (plus another cooling plate)

many thanks

stmjxxi 03-12-2010 01:52 PM

RE: what do FETS do on an ESC

If your esc is brushless then it is not the fets at fault.
Trust me on that.

nick 30 03-12-2010 01:54 PM

yeah it's a BL esc, so what do you think the problem could be then ??

i've checked all the ESC settings with my program card and there all factory set, i did'nt change any of them

nick 30 03-12-2010 01:58 PM

ihave tried different motors, different batts even tested everything on my other esc, everything works properly and its not the settings on the transmitter either, it's down to the esc only

stmjxxi 03-12-2010 02:47 PM

A processor in brushless esc switches the six groups of fets in an ordered sequence to turn the motor.
It must still be doing that.

nick 30 03-12-2010 02:50 PM

a bit like HT leads in a car ??

what can i do about it ??

thanks for your replys

stmjxxi 03-12-2010 03:18 PM

To save on heatshrink,I would first double and triple check it is not something you overlooked.

Satisfied on the above,If you had access to a voltage scope (or a digital meter at a push) and posted high def pictures of both sides of the boards then an engineer might direct you.

I think you should give it to an engineer to look at.

nick 30 03-12-2010 03:23 PM

ok mate, i'll give that a go and see what he says

stmjxxi 03-12-2010 03:43 PM

I didn't actually mean return to base.Just a friend or contact.

If anything,it is usually an esc fet that would blow.Someone conversant with esc automatically check things you might not think of.Stuff like is it actually in idling/half power mode due to low battery?
There is the off chance they would fix any non-FET fault

Maybe there is an esc forum.

nick 30 03-12-2010 03:47 PM

the fets look fine to me, i have had a look at the esc and cant see any visible eveidence of anything gone wrong, it was a spare i used for testing bench setups anyway, so i might aswell chuck but see what i can salvage of it before i do

savagecommander 03-13-2010 08:46 AM

if your fets were the issue youd have little or no power, if it worked at all. whatever your problem is, its tellin gthe fets to switch at WOT- sounds like a processor issue to me.