RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9752215-hk-small-bolt-hydro-same-hotr.html)

Rake 05-04-2011 12:49 AM

RE: HK Small Bolt Hydro same as HOTR

I cant run either - we seem to share simillar weather, besides I have no Tx at the moment.

I missed the game but - Manchester ? I'd rather watch paint dry ;)

nickster46 05-04-2011 12:56 AM

hahaha! I see...

I start being a little sceptic about the Flysky TX/RX.
I use it on multiple RC purposes: The small bolt, My HPI Savage nitro and in my FG Marder (GAS).
In the Small Bolt and the HPI it runs without problems. delicious handling, no signal problems etc.
But... only in the FG Marder it looses it's signal after (50(!) meters, 150ft? I don't understand it and looked after it, I checked the battery and fully charged it, I charged the TX as well, checked for wiring problems (cuts etc) but nothing at all.
It runs fine within a range of 10-15meters but when it runs for about 50meters the problems occur.

The only cause I can think of is that the signal gets interrupted by the glow plug or the ignition. With my 40mhz RX/TX there were no problems at all...
I ordered another RX (costs peanuts :)) and I hope it will solve the problems...

sundogz 05-04-2011 07:16 AM

Rake, I'm preparing to install the blinking LED mod into my Flysky but am having a time trying to remove the top. I've got all visible screws out, is there a trick to it?

Rake 05-04-2011 08:31 AM

SDZ - inside the wheel you will find 3 screws and also behind the small sticker just above the wheel you will find 2 more that hold the wheel assembly to the top.

Post a link to the blinking led mod if you can, I'd be interested to see it.

Nick - bet you its the plug.

sundogz 05-04-2011 08:56 AM

I had scratched around on that sticker, but didn't feel the screw holes - and didn't even think the wheel was involved! Many thanks. I'll post the led mod. ;)

Rake 05-04-2011 11:54 AM

Got those ebay bearings today too by the way.

Funny, the stock stub wont fit - too tight.
The stub from OSE fits but its not a tight fit.

Not sure which way to go now tbh

sundogz 05-04-2011 12:53 PM

When you say stub, do you mean prop shaft? Do they fit into the strut?

Rake 05-04-2011 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: sundogz

When you say stub, do you mean prop shaft? Do they fit into the strut?
Yes the prop shaft.

I have not yet gotten the old bushes out so not tried sdz.

The OSE shaft is a nice fit but not like the interferance fit you'd expect on a roller bearing. Slides up and down the bearing apperture easily.

Basstronics 05-04-2011 01:44 PM

The stock prop shaft is no where near an accurate piece. The Octura stub shafts at least OD ground- I would imagine it to be accurate.

If the Octura prop shaft does not fit snug into the bearing ID then you need loctite. Otherwise you will probably spin the prop shaft inside the bearing. Be very careful with the loctite...

Rake 05-05-2011 12:17 AM

Hi Bass,

Thanks for that. I may wait till I get better bearings to be honest. These are ok but I dont think they are stainless. The other thing is that if I use loctite then I guess I wont be able to pull the shaft for lubrication very easily which
is limiting.

I'm beggining to think that you need a machine shop for these kind of mods unless the parts all fit snugly.

Rake 05-05-2011 01:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The new rudder / strut and turn fin assembly has arrived from HK today.

Looking at the tolerances I'd say that fitting a 1/4 OD bearing is gonna be very very tight indeed.
The strut came fitted with what look like phozy bronze bushes.

Overlaying the 1/4 OD bearing on the end of the strut shows very little meat left on the strut if it were drilled out.

Now that I have this I may use one of the original struts and give it a try anyway but I dont hold out too much hope !

Basstronics 05-05-2011 02:09 AM

Looks like that replacement strut has a bronze bushing instead of a lead teflon... Thats a plus!

I need to press a bushing out and measure the ID of this strut so I can sort out a replacement.

nickster46 05-05-2011 02:34 AM

Maybe a little late but what is the blinking led mod on the flysky? and what does is provide?

sundogz 05-05-2011 04:41 AM

The backlight on the tx goes out after several seconds and so it's easy to forget the it is turned on. Many folks have run their batteries down unintentionally because of this. This mod will put a blinking red led on the back to remind that the power is still turned on. If they make a series 'C', I hope they address this little problem. All in all, I really like this Tx, and especially the price and size of the rx's.

Rake, it looks like there is enough 'meat', but you would need to take special precautions to not get off-center. Bass would be a help here as to how a layman could get this done. Since it is only aluminum, maybe you could use a drill with sandpaper wrapped around it to hone it to the right size. Bass?

Rake 05-05-2011 08:05 AM

Darn,

Just checked the nice purple rudder and the arm for the servo rod is on the wrong side !

Never simple eh...

nickster46 05-06-2011 12:07 AM

Rake, with most of the rudders there is a possibility to change this:
on top of the rudder there is a allen key (small), when you loosen this on you are able to take out the arm and turn it over to the other side of the rudder. Than tighten the screw again and you're done

Rake 05-06-2011 12:17 AM

Nick - you da man !

Sorted ! I did wonder what the threaded hole was for - Doh !

Just in review of this set, its slightly smaller than the stock bolt one in as much as the rudder is not quite as wide front to back - but its sooo pretty !

Rake 05-06-2011 12:20 AM

ORIGINAL: sundogz

Rake, it looks like there is enough 'meat', but you would need to take special precautions to not get off-center. Bass would be a help here as to how a layman could get this done. Since it is only aluminum, maybe you could use a drill with sandpaper wrapped around it to hone it to the right size. Bass?

sdz - being as this one is fitted with bronze bushes and is so pretty I dont want to ruin it, I'll try to fit the bearings to the strut from bolt 1 to see if it works.

Hopefully bass will chime in soon with any ideas on how to hone it out some.

Still not sure on the locktite for the reason of lubrication / prop shaft removal for maint though.

Does anyone use loctite to secure the motor screws in the motor ? Mine seem to be vibrating loose.

Basstronics 05-06-2011 02:13 AM

Depends on how much material needs to come out. A drill can only be so accurate. Drilling by hand is even less accurate.

To be accurate it truly needs to be done in a machine. The first part would be getting the piece setup in a vice properly. Getting two edges 90 degree's apart parallel to the spindle (of the machine) movement. Then to find center of the hole.

By all rights this should be drilled first then reamed with a proper sized reamer. This will result in best fit. The bearings could be held in by retaining loctite such as that used in the propshaft gluing if need be- allowing a sloppier fit.

Rake 05-06-2011 02:35 AM

Thanks for that Bass.

I may drop the bits into a local machine shop and see how much it would cost to do this properly.

Just while you are on, when making the .098 flex up, did you leave gap between the dog and strut or was it a tight fit ?

Just about to start making this up and wondered.

Rake 05-06-2011 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In preparation for my Tx coming I've began to install the purple hardware and 0.98 drive line.

Hardware is in more or less and the stub has been loctited to the flex.

Cutting is next but I'll wait till tomorrow when I am not so tired. My 18 month old was up from 04.00 hrs last night and my head hurts !

I'll be using the stock bolt strut for the bearing system.

Still have the turn fins to install. Am I right in thinking that these go on the flat spot at the rear of the sponsons ?

sundogz 05-06-2011 08:43 AM

Perrrty! Turn fins invariably slow the you down. That's why I questioned you a while ago whether you thought you needed them (is there a problem steering?). They are good for lap racing, but for all-out speed, not so good. I would leave them off myself. But you have two boats now and can compare one against the other to see. Yes, they go on the back of the transom. The critical part is getting the two perfectly parallel. Otherwise, it will be slower yet.

Rake 05-06-2011 09:01 AM

Thanks sdz - turning is quite wide and at speed results in fliping hence I thought about it.

As you say I could try them on one, looks like you can disconnect the blades on them too...

sundogz 05-06-2011 11:59 AM

Nice touch thatl they are easily removable. It will be interesting to see how it reacts! Thx, Sdg.

Rake 05-07-2011 04:39 AM

Flysky - All is forgiven.

It turns out I had 2 blown servo's and it wasn't the Tx Rx afterall.

What a clutz I am !