RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Miss Geico 29 Catamaran (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9795072-miss-geico-29-catamaran.html)

asupervee72 01-21-2011 08:25 AM

RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

ORIGINAL: srt10

Another thing you could is use a 3'' servo extension and cut the red wire on that, use it between the esc and reciever and that way if you ever want to go back to 4s with a rx pack just take out the extesion and plug the esc back into the reciever

I just lift up the little clip on the plug that goes to the rx and it releases the red cable without having to cut it, then you can put it back in in case your rx pack dies and you are already at the lake.

asupervee72 01-21-2011 11:13 AM

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Dude, I'm down to run whenever! I'll drive up near you to Silverwood if you want, which I actually prefer since I banged up my boat again on the bank of that small pond. Just a little scratch on one sponson, but next time it could be worse[:@]. I found 5800MAH LiPos in 4S configuration here in the states. I think I'm going to order 2 of those this coming week. For now the 5K 20C packs are still holding great! Definitely go with the 2030kv. Less amperage draw and easier on the electronics while still pushing the stock prop well.

I have been running at Hanson Dam. Great group of people there and usually at least 6-7 boats on the water going at it. FUN! But like I said, we can meet anywhere except this little pond. I have the T180 for my BJ26 you can borrow if you need while we run. You run an external pack anyways, right?

My Turnigy 180A ESC had a bad BEC so I installed a Medusa Research external BEC I had lying around. Back in business[8D]. The stock ESC works with other motors, but it lacks ''punch'' when compared to a higher rated ESC.

srt10, they make a 2200 outrunner? Where?? The reason I got the 1800kv is because they were on clearance. I would rather pay full price, $59, for a 6 pole UL1 Ammo motor.

I love the torque of the outrunner motor, specially coming out of a turn but last I ran it it was a bit warm inside the boat. The lack of water cooling is apparent. So looking through my stuff I came across some aluminum brazing rods that I bought at a 1:1 boat show when we lived in Dallas. I was looking for a way to make a cooling plate for the outrunner motor. I also have some 3/16 aluminum angle iron that goes to 1/4'' at the ''L'', so it makes a very sturdy mount. I cut out a mount from the stock I had an brazed some aluminum lines on it. Here is what I came up with. I'll be testing it out this weekend:D

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_7004.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_7006.jpg
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...5/IMG_7005.jpg

i never saw this post, what are you doing today? I'm off and i'm down to run. If not today then i'm open this weekend too. I ordered the ul1 motor yesterday and i just saw that hobbyking has the 120s in stock so i'm probably gonna get a couple of those. Considering buying a 1/10th scale sc truck today and may get a brushless set up from hk if i get the truck that comes brushed so i'm waiting to place the order, the shop i like going to opens in 15 min

srt10 01-21-2011 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

ORIGINAL: srt10

Another thing you could is use a 3'' servo extension and cut the red wire on that, use it between the esc and reciever and that way if you ever want to go back to 4s with a rx pack just take out the extesion and plug the esc back into the reciever

I just lift up the little clip on the plug that goes to the rx and it releases the red cable without having to cut it, then you can put it back in in case your rx pack dies and you are already at the lake.
that's a great way to ;)

Dirt_hawg 01-21-2011 12:06 PM

Get a traxxas slash vxl..They are awesomly durable...There has been times ive tried to break my slash and I would fail..Thats all I can say..There crazy fast too with the vxl system..

asupervee72 01-21-2011 12:21 PM

wrong forum , but i'm between the associated sc10, the blitz and the slash. I want to be able to race with my buddies, one has a blitz the other a sc10, they both had sc10's but one of them kept having problems with his wheels striping, and i know the sc10 has a weak point at the front of the chassis. I heard the slash is only competitive if you get the suspension kits for them. I was told hpi tested the slash and the sc10 and them fixed all the problems those two trucks have. Only thing is the blitz doesn't come brushless so i'd have to convert it. Can i race the 4wd slash with the 2wd sc10 and blitz?

Revashley 01-21-2011 07:23 PM

hey guys, another question from this lipo noob...  My Miss Geico is completely stock, and I'm trying to get the most out of 2s packs. Would these be a good option???<div>
</div><div>http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11614</div><div>
</div><div>I'm curious because the only thing that's throwing me off is that these are 2s2p and the packs I have are 2s1p. Could someone please be kind enough to explain the difference as well as let me know if these packs will work? Thanks again, you guys have been great :)</div>

Dirt_hawg 01-21-2011 08:30 PM

Well the packs you showed are actually a 4 cell pack wired in a parallel..I dont like them because when you balance charge them you dont get a true balance..I would go for these..These are what I use and they are great!!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=16194
Also disable bec and run a rx pack..It makes a bit of a difference too..

Revashley 01-22-2011 12:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

Well the packs you showed are actually a 4 cell pack wired in a parallel..I dont like them because when you balance charge them you dont get a true balance..I would go for these..These are what I use and they are great!!
Thanks man, ordered two of these badboys, and they're coming from the USA warehouse too!!! Freakin sweet!!! Thanks for the info!
<br type="_moz" />

Dirt_hawg 01-22-2011 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Revashley

Thanks man, ordered two of these badboys, and they're coming from the USA warehouse too!!! Freakin sweet!!! Thanks for the info!
<br type=''_moz'' />
Yup thats where mine came from..I got mine in 2 days after I ordered them! I got 4 packs and they were all perfectly balanced..Its all Ill ever run anymore..

asupervee72 01-22-2011 11:31 AM

ordered 2 turnigy 120's cause they were finally in stock, i'm gonna pair one up with my ul1 motor that i'm waiting on and that will go in to MG and then i'll stick the 1500kv PB motor in either the SV or my jet boat. Probably the jet and use it as a retrieval boat. Also picked up a blitz and slapped a 3300kv brushless combo in there. So if anybody wants the stock brushed motor and esc out of a blitz i could sell it to them for reasonable price.

Basstronics 01-23-2011 06:09 AM

Nice thread guys.

My Twin Ms Geico should be here in about two weeks.

Has anyone had to buy replacement parts yet? Im in need of a rudder blade. Appears they are not available yet on Horizon...

losifiend 01-24-2011 10:38 PM

You bought Blackcats twin off OSE? What motors are you putting in it? I thought about buying it and throwing my 2, 3424 1800kv Castle outrunners in it. But I bought a Genesis instead.

Diesel6401 01-24-2011 10:56 PM

I wanted to buy BC26s twin as well. I just finished my first twin a little bit ago haven't even hit the water with it yet. Those CC outrunners sure are nice, I am saving mine for the new AQ cat. BC ran some scorpion 1600kv outrunners in his on 6s. Thing screamed. Me on the other hand, I am about to find out with $19.99 motors can do lol...<div>
</div><div>http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/...121_140248.jpg
</div>

Basstronics 01-25-2011 04:25 AM

I was going to buy a Genesis but the more I seen these twin cats the more I wanted one. In my newbness I know I dont want a boat I have to rig myself yet- so I have to buy one with hardware.

I intend on putting those $20 motors in it also- same as Diesel. At least for this summer. Maybe two of the CC 1800 kV outrunner. I gotta sell a 1717 or a Leopard 4074 2000 kV to fund that purchase though.

Im bummed out. Just found out my jobs only gonna be around another 5 months- so no $$$ for toys this summer. These last few builds are gonna be tough.

Dirt_hawg 01-25-2011 07:17 AM

Got a question..Will a ul-1 motor run on the stock MG esc on 4s without any probs?I already have the bec disabled.. It looks like the stock MG motor on 5s dosent turn as many rpm's as the ul-1 on 4s..Dont really want to go 5 s unless I have to..Ohh Ill be running a x642 s/b..

srt10 01-25-2011 08:19 AM

Got a question..Will a ul-1 motor run on the stock MG esc on 4s without any probs?I already have the bec disabled.. It looks like the stock MG motor on 5s dosent turn as many rpm's as the ul-1 on 4s..Dont really want to go 5 s unless I have to..Ohh Ill be running a x642 s/b..
should work just fine bro! ;)

losifiend 01-25-2011 08:56 AM

The stock Pro Boat ESC can handle any 4pole motor or higher. A friend of mine runs the UL1 motor with it just fine.

Diesel, is that an Aparition? That looks like its going to fly!! Its not how much you pay. Its how fast you can go with what you have;)

Did you use 3/16 drive wire and prop shafts? What stingers did you use? I just bought a leopard 4074, 2200 for my Genesis but I'm itching to make it a twin!! Need help finding the drive hardware that works.

Sorry for all the questions.

Dirt_hawg 01-25-2011 09:18 AM

Cool..Ill save some $$ Getting the motor instead of 3s packs..One more question..Both the MG motor and the ul-1 motor are 36mm..Will the water jacket from the MG motor fit the ul-1 motor?

Diesel6401 01-25-2011 09:48 AM

The MG and UL1 motor are both 6 pole motors of high quality. The Mg jacket my not fit perfectly though, example both the old blue can sv motor and ul1 motor are listed at 36mm but if you put a blue can sv jacket on a gold can ul1 motor or vice versa it will leak. Now the new gold can sv motor and gold can ul1 motor will fit just fine. Their is just small mm of diference that doesn't fit perfectly. The grim 42x55 is the sickest prop I have ever tried on ul1 power and in different boats. It's like they where just perfectly made for each other, kinda scary actually. Set the motor timing to high on that esc and do know you will be pushing that stock esc very VERY hard on that ul1 motor, should work though lol, I'm pushing the crap outta mine lol...<div>
</div><div>Yes that is a apparition, stringer are stock I drilled the 4mm bushings out of them enlarged the openings and dropped some 3/16 bushing in them. I am using flexshafts compliments of Proboat and Horizon lol. I am using the original cw direction flexshaft that come with the 1st released miss geicos and the proper ccw flexshaft that they sent to everyone who ordered the first round of boats lol. ESC's are seaking/turnigy marine 80hv, I will be running 2x 3s 6000mah 25-50 nano-tech lipos in series for 6s, they esc's are wired in parallel so both motor see the same voltage. Carbon fiber laid on the floor, stock motor mounts modded and re-inforced to handle 25mm bolt pattern motors.  </div>

losifiend 01-25-2011 01:31 PM

If that water jacket does not fit the UL1 motor you can always get smaller of bigger o rings ether from OSE or your local Ace hardware store. I used 34mm rings to install the jacket out of the motor that came with the stock Widowmaker motor on any 36MM motor. Its of larger diameter than the average cooling ring so though its short it holds more water volume for better cooling.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...SC01002101.jpg

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Yes that is a apparition, stringer are stock I drilled the 4mm bushings out of them enlarged the openings and dropped some 3/16 bushing in them. I am using flexshafts compliments of Proboat and Horizon lol. I am using the original cw direction flexshaft that come with the 1st released miss geicos and the proper ccw flexshaft that they sent to everyone who ordered the first round of boats lol. ESC's are seaking/turnigy marine 80hv, I will be running 2x 3s 6000mah 25-50 nano-tech lipos in series for 6s, they esc's are wired in parallel so both motor see the same voltage. Carbon fiber laid on the floor, stock motor mounts modded and re-inforced to handle 25mm bolt pattern motors. </div>
Haha, we think alike! For the money you cant beat the PB stuffing tube with the liner already installed. Thats what I had planned to use when I convert mine.

Oh, so that was originally the twin App then. I thought it was a single drive that you had converted. I was asking about the stingers but I think I found what will work on the Genesis. The ones on the Apparition are out of stock @ HK but would be a good deal if they had them in stock, other than having to drill them to 3/16th. When the MG running gear comes it it will be a good deal, ideal for many boat builds!

Cant wait till you get that thing running! Hopefully you will share video with us.:D

Dirt_hawg 01-25-2011 01:37 PM

LOL I couldnt help but notice..Where did the water come from in that pic... R U Sure that jacket dosent leak?

losifiend 01-25-2011 06:09 PM

It's not from the jacket. The motor was in a Widowmaker and I took the picture after I got home from running it. The Widowmaker is known to lay on its back quick! I must have flipped it 4-5 times that day. So, no. The sleeve doesn't leak.

asupervee72 01-25-2011 11:24 PM

my response to the questions i can answer. I just got my ul1 2030 kv motor today and it is rated up to 50 amp and the PB esc is rated at 45. It should be fine just monitor your temps the first run or any time you make a prop change. Things will heat up quickly if you are set up wrong. I haven't tried to put a water jacket on it yet but my gold can sv motor did not accept the cooling can i had for the blue one. The gold can was just a hair too big. My esc's should be here in the next week or so, when they get here I'm down to do some boating, I've been tearing up the local track with my new brushless HPI Blitz but I want to get some time on the water. One thing I love about my truck is that the same batteries that would give me 50-60 min of run time with my boat last hours, long enough that I can continually charge and run all day. Oh and if you know you will be out of work in 5 months then doesn't that give you 5 months to line something else up?

Diesel6401 01-26-2011 05:54 AM

Even though that UL1 motor maybe rated at 50 amps they have been proven (eagletree) that they can pull a constant amp load in 60-70amp range and spike higher then that.

srt10 01-26-2011 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

Even though that UL1 motor maybe rated at 50 amps they have been proven (eagletree) that they can pull a constant amp load in 60-70amp range and spike higher then that.
I've seen over at OSE spikes of 110amps ;)