RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Miss Geico 29 Catamaran (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9795072-miss-geico-29-catamaran.html)

Dirt_hawg 01-14-2011 02:46 PM

RE: Miss Geico 29 Catamaran

So how do you connect 2 4 cell packs in series with bullet connectors to run a 4s2p setup?

Diesel6401 01-14-2011 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can't! 2 4cell packs in series would be 8s

To run 2 4cell packs for a 4s2p setup you need to run in parallel. To run parallel pack 1 + and pack 2 + both have to go to esc + pack 1 - and pack 2 - both have to go to esc -, to do this I made some adaptors out off 5.5mm bullets. The ones pictured by themselvesare not mine, but same concept except mine look like a "T" instead of the "Y" I have posted. Here is my boat with the similar adaptors. This is my pursuit 32 running a leopard 4074 2200kv on 2 4cell 3600mah packs for a 4s2p setup.

ORIGINAL: Dirt_hawg

So how do you connect 2 4 cell packs in series with bullet connectors to run a 4s2p setup?

Dirt_hawg 01-14-2011 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Diesel6401

You can't!

To run 2 4cell packs for a 4s2p setup you need to run in parallel. To run parallel pack 1 + and pack 2 + both have to go to esc + pack 1 - and pack 2 - both have to go to esc -, to do this I made some adaptors out off 5.5mm bullets. The ones pictured by themselves are not mine, but same concept except mine look like a ''T'' instead of the ''Y'' I have posted. Here is my boat with the similar adaptors. This is my pursuit 32 running a leopard 4074 2200kv on 2 4cell 3600mah packs for a 4s2p setup.

I know how they need to hook up..So what size bullets are you using on your batt? The actuall battery bullets?
It would be nice to see T bullet connectors..

Diesel6401 01-14-2011 05:06 PM

5.5mm bullets. The same bullets Iuse on the motor/esc connections.

You can't!

To run 2 4cell packs for a 4s2p setup you need to run in parallel. To run parallel pack 1 + and pack 2 + both have to go to esc + pack 1 - and pack 2 - both have to go to esc -, to do this I made some adaptors out off 5.5mm bullets. The ones pictured by themselvesare not mine, but same concept except mine look like a ''T'' instead of the ''Y'' I have posted. Here is my boat with the similar adaptors. This is my pursuit 32 running a leopard 4074 2200kv on 2 4cell 3600mah packs for a 4s2p setup.

I know how they need to hook up..So what size bullets are you using on your batt? The actuall battery bullets?

Dirt_hawg 01-14-2011 05:54 PM

5.5mm bullets. The same bullets I use on the motor/esc connections.

You can't!

To run 2 4cell packs for a 4s2p setup you need to run in parallel. To run parallel pack 1 + and pack 2 + both have to go to esc + pack 1 - and pack 2 - both have to go to esc -, to do this I made some adaptors out off 5.5mm bullets. The ones pictured by themselves are not mine, but same concept except mine look like a ''T'' instead of the ''Y'' I have posted. Here is my boat with the similar adaptors. This is my pursuit 32 running a leopard 4074 2200kv on 2 4cell 3600mah packs for a 4s2p setup.

So what do you do as far as assembly...Stuff bullets with wire and then solder together?
Thanks for all the help..

Diesel6401 01-14-2011 07:27 PM

For the adaptors I don't use wire. I just solder the 5.5s to each other. Pain in the butt</p>

asupervee72 01-14-2011 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i did mine like this, i should have used a little bit less wire though. It was pretty easy this way, just solder a bullet onto three wires, then connect the two matching ones to the opposite bullet at the other end, shrink wrap and that is it.

losifiend 01-15-2011 11:31 AM

The way asupervee72 is the way I would do it. I agree on using less wire though, specially when running an outrunner.

But soldering connectors like Diesel posted would be a "cleaner" way of doing it since it doesn't add any wire. If you have a solder jig with alligator clips it should be easy to do. If not, go spend the $12 at Radioshack to get a jig, lol! Makes like a whole hell of a lot easier when soldering.

Diesel6401 01-15-2011 12:32 PM

I got my jig from Harbor Freight for $6 http://www.harborfreight.com/jumbo-h...hts-65779.html. Most importantly less wire/no wire means less resistance!

ORIGINAL: losifiend

The way asupervee72 is the way I would do it. I agree on using less wire though, specially when running an outrunner.

But soldering connectors like Diesel posted would be a "cleaner" way of doing it since it doesn't add any wire. If you have a solder jig with alligator clips it should be easy to do. If not, go spend the $12 at Radioshack to get a jig, lol! Makes like a whole hell of a lot easier when soldering.

srt10 01-15-2011 01:41 PM

And once again, I'm amazed at your finds D! ;)
I need one of these

losifiend 01-15-2011 01:42 PM

Wow, it even has a light! Baller status[:-]

True, no wire=less resistance.

asupervee72 01-15-2011 06:13 PM

no wire means less resistance but I think they are easier to hook up, but then i never tried the other way, didn't think of that. I got my jig at harbor freight as well, made life so much easier, i actually don't mind soldering something now. Its 12 gwg wire, how bad is the resistance ?

srt10 01-15-2011 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: asupervee72

no wire means less resistance but I think they are easier to hook up, but then i never tried the other way, didn't think of that. I got my jig at harbor freight as well, made life so much easier, i actually don't mind soldering something now. Its 12 gwg wire, how bad is the resistance ?
I don't think it would be that big of a deal
you have two packs (twice the amps) going into one wire, the resistance would be unseen ;)

asupervee72 01-15-2011 08:59 PM

that was my thought, there is just a little too much wire in the boat though, i don't like spaghetti, unless it's pasta. Just making sure i'm not wasting a ton of energy, with 4s2p there is a lot of it but I'm trying to go efficient.

if my sentence structure, or lack there of gets out of hand and everyone is getting lost trying to figure out what the hell i'm saying let me know.

srt10 01-15-2011 09:07 PM

that was my thought, there is just a little too much wire in the boat though, i don't like spaghetti, unless it's pasta. Just making sure i'm not wasting a ton of energy, with 4s2p there is a lot of it but I'm trying to go efficient.

if my sentence structure, or lack there of gets out of hand and everyone is getting lost trying to figure out what the hell i'm saying let me know.
either way you do the connectors you will notice a nice constant power surge running 4s2p ;)
pasta and all:D

Dirt_hawg 01-16-2011 05:47 AM

ORIGINAL: srt10

either way you do the connectors you will notice a nice constant power surge running 4s2p ;)
Power surge? Do you mean Nice constant power source? Isnt a power surge when you lose power?

srt10 01-16-2011 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: srt10

Power surge? Do you mean Nice constant power source? Isnt a power surge when you lose power?
uhmmmmm....

losifiend 01-17-2011 09:28 AM

Not that the addition of a few inches of wire would create a huge heat issue but you have to take in to consideration the amperage we're asking the small gauge wire to carry, efficiently. Being an electrician, I can tell you that the wire necessary to carry a consistent 100A, would be ether #1 or #2 AWG wire, depending on insulation type and ambient temperature. In case some of you are not familiar with wire gauge, that would be wire as thick as the average pinky of a grown man. Anything smaller would create higher resistance. Resistance= heat, not voltage or amperage loss, which would associate with volume loss. Volume loss would only apply to liquid flow. Theoretically, #14 wire is only good for 15A, #12 is good for 20A, and #10 is good for 30A. I'm bringing this up just so you guys can get an idea of what were asking from these small systems in these boats, and how "just a small piece of wire" can create a difference in heat, rather than amperage flow.

srt10 01-17-2011 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: losifiend

Not that the addition of a few inches of wire would create a huge heat issue but you have to take in to consideration the amperage we're asking the small gauge wire to carry, efficiently. Being an electrician, I can tell you that the wire necessary to carry a consistent 100A, would be ether #1 or #2 AWG wire, depending on insulation type and ambient temperature. In case some of you are not familiar with wire gauge, that would be wire as thick as the average pinky of a grown man. Anything smaller would create higher resistance. Resistance= heat, not voltage or amperage loss, which would associate with volume loss. Volume loss would only apply to liquid flow. Theoretically, #14 wire is only good for 15A, #12 is good for 20A, and #10 is good for 30A. I'm bringing this up just so you guys can get an idea of what were asking from these small systems in these boats, and how ''just a small piece of wire'' can create a difference in heat, rather than amperage flow.
bro, you are way over thinking this
your having two wires carring the amp load that is being devided out by the two wires.. they are sharing the amp load
it could actually have less resistance over all
the amount of amps that are able to go through the system with a parallel connector out weighs any resistance factor period
and take a look at the BIG FE boats who do pull 80-110amps+ constant and they are using 8-10 AWG wire [:-]
and think of this vs. some theory
My SV27 pulls on average 45amps cont. with 14 AWG wire on the stock esc... Fact, the 14 AWG wire works, because I get low 40's on 4s all day long ;)

asupervee72 01-18-2011 06:40 AM

well i just did demo on a house and have 100s of feet of number one and two, maybe all three wires plus insulation is about the thinkness of my pinky but the individual wires are no thicker then 12 awg but those are solid copper. I could easily make a connector out of some of that wire but they would be super stiff. The casing on this wire says it's good up to 600v so i think it would handle the load without breaking a sweat. It does seem like the wires heat up more then i want them to. So should i make connectors using the same grade wires they use to wire up houses?

losifiend 01-18-2011 09:28 AM

Guys, I never said it didn't work because obviously it had been working for years! I just made the comment that these systems are being pushed to their limits and every bit of unnecessary wire just impedes the efficient delivery of electricity. SRT, look at pictures of true FE boat setups. The wires are as short as possible and almost look like they have some tension, they are pulled so tight. Gee, I wonder why that is? I have never seen a ratty looking fast FE setup with loads of unnecessary wire in the boat.

asupervee72, that 600V rating is not continues. It's for bursts like like battery C ratings. You have me confused where you say you just did a demo and pulled out #2 that is no thicker than #12. But if you did it then I guess it's true.

What I posted above was just my opinion. From there on do what works for you. Just remember that there is always a reason why electronics fail and most the time it has to to with Amperage delivery, or the lack their of. It's up to you to figure out what works. Most importantly, its to have fun!![>:]

Dirt_hawg 01-18-2011 10:34 AM

I dont care for all this mumbo jumbo..Im just going to build a connector like supervee72 keeping the wires short..If it blows up Fu(k it..Ill get a new power system..I cant stand how these conversations get like this about whos smarter than who or whos got a bigger d!(k than who...Cmon PPL There just fukn wires!

srt10 01-18-2011 10:37 AM

well i just did demo on a house and have 100s of feet of number one and two, maybe all three wires plus insulation is about the thinkness of my pinky but the individual wires are no thicker then 12 awg but those are solid copper. I could easily make a connector out of some of that wire but they would be super stiff. The casing on this wire says it's good up to 600v so i think it would handle the load without breaking a sweat. It does seem like the wires heat up more then i want them to. So should i make connectors using the same grade wires they use to wire up houses?
any decent 12 AWG wire from your LHS will work just fine
fact is I use 12 and 13 AWG parallel and series connectors on my Revo that has seen 180amp spikes on 6s and my wires never ever get hot
the motor does, but never the wires

don't worry what others say bout this man, your setup will work just fine bro! ;)

losifiend 01-19-2011 09:40 AM

It's funny how you guys got all worked up over 1 comment. Funny because we all claim to be here to learn and when someone says something you don't understand people pull out the "who's trying to be smarter than who" or "who's di(k is bigger than who's" comments.

This is an open forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I gave mine. I never insulted anyone, or disrespected anyone ether. But whatever:eek:

And for those with an open mind, notice the lack of excess wire in this "race" setup running 2P.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...pictureid=1946

Dirt_hawg 01-19-2011 09:50 AM

Nobody likes smartasses either..
That boat looks pretty good..