RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/)
-   -   Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-electric-109/9964997-genesis-offshore-brushless-rc-twin-hull-1045mm-hk.html)

NobodyFamous 08-28-2010 07:51 AM

Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK

Mine should be here Monday, I am pretty excited. This will be my first fiberglass hull, and first cat. I'll get some pictures and do a bit of a review.

srt10 08-28-2010 11:30 PM

RE: Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm) from HK

they are a pretty sweet hull ;)

JPriami 08-29-2010 01:12 PM

Yes pics! I was looking at those a while back. I'd like to see pics of one that someone owns. let us know how you like it

NobodyFamous 08-30-2010 01:31 PM

Well it came today. As usual the packaging job was done very well. Go HK!

As for the boat, looks great. When you look close you can see the lines where the decals are cut, but they are on smooth and all under the clear coat. The hull is allot lighter then I had expected for fiberglass. But still seems strong.

I see how you could spend some time building up the glass on the engine mounts, and maybe adding better supports for servos, batteries, rx, and such. All in all it looks pretty good, and should be strong enough stock.

One thing I didn't like was how stiff the flex cable was. this is my first boat with a flex drive system so I have nothing to compare it to. I do plan on taking the drive cable out to grease it. It looks as if it is dry.

It is what is referred to as a 2 pice flex drive. So I have to remove either the motor or strut to get it out for greasing. What would be easier? Which can I screw up less? (Alignment etc.)
I also gave it a quick hook up and test on the bench. The nylon insert was sliding in and out, between the motor coupler and back into the outer tube. Does this matter? or is it normal?The

only other issue was minor, but I had to change the water cooling line coming from the pickup to the ESC. It was a little short, so I just moved it from the bow side of the ESC to the stern side to gain the extra 3 cm. (how'd you like that nautical talk?!)

Thanks a ton, I'll put up my pictures in a bit.<br type="_moz" />

NobodyFamous 08-30-2010 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HK even sent me some free hatch tape and a Turnigy Lanyard!
<br type="_moz" />

NobodyFamous 08-30-2010 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here are some detailed pics of the inside. You could easily run 8s with the Turnigy 5.8A 2s packs!!! lots of room. Some day maybe, till then, all stock!

brians63 08-30-2010 06:34 PM

could you please give me some measurements of the boat? an also a good clear close up of the side of the boat where it says Genesis ( why not just do the Agua Mania decals the correct way instead of Genesis??) also did you say in fact that the decals are under the clear coat? an a link as to where you ordered it from... great looking boat overall, an cant wait to see video of you running it..

srt10 08-30-2010 06:39 PM

Ohhh, that's so purdy! :D

JPriami 08-30-2010 10:03 PM

looks good. send it to me and I will test it out for you lol

NobodyFamous 08-31-2010 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian,

I hope one of these pictures is what you where looking for. . .
I bought it from Hobby King here

1manshow 08-31-2010 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: NobodyFamous

Brian,

I hope one of these pictures is what you where looking for. . .
I bought it from Hobby King here
VERY NICE!!! Any idea on speed?? 1manshow

NobodyFamous 09-01-2010 06:22 PM

Well, good news and bad.<div></div><div>The Genesis took her maidden voyage tonight. Sorry I have no photos or video of it in action. (I need to find a friend first)</div><div></div><div>Good news, I now know what "fast electric" means. My old Villain IV would go 16mph for about 10 minutes on 1 pack, the Genesis came in at 42.8mph (68.8km/h) for only 5 minutes with 2 packs. The lake felt small for the first time.</div><div></div><div>The bad news is. . . the ESC is shot. By the time I swam out to the boat the low voltage buzzers where going. I don't know if she ran low before or after the ESC quit (in the middle of the lake)</div><div></div><div>I was having a hard time seeing the water exiting from the outlet, so maybe the cooling needs some work. As far as handling goes, it was far different from a V-hull with out drives, but it cornered as well as I could have asked of my sloppy servo mount and linkage. (about 1/2 cm of play - yuck!) The batteries could have been moved forward a touch to better balance the weight. It would porpoise at full speed, but not to bad.</div><div></div><div>I guess I'll see what HK will do for me about the ESC, I was expecting it to fail, but not so fast. I have a 120A Turnigy on backorder, ordered it the same time as the boat. I might see if they will upgrade it to the 180A.</div><div></div><div>All in all I was happy, now I just want to go run it again!!! sigh!</div>

srt10 09-01-2010 08:08 PM

Get the Turnigy 180!
great esc

sollie 09-02-2010 02:24 AM

Here is a short vid I did for a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPisJBqP1vo

Bought it second hand, but it had not been used by former owner much. All stock, and in this vid I t was running on one 4s 4900 pack. The COG is off and the prop should have been retired :-) I think it's a great looking boat, nice finish.

I did notice that it got very hot, motor esc and wires etc. I took my packs (4000 2s) and ran them in serie, and again, everything got very hot. In my S Crusher, the top speed is higher,and everything stay's nice and cool. Everything spins nice and free,and no bent cooling wire's, so something else must be making it warm.

Ohh, I just remembered that the esc s not he one that came with the boat, as that had burned with the former owner. I don't know what type he replaced it with,but maybe it need another programing to stay cooler.

JPriami 09-04-2010 12:24 PM

Not saying you didn't but just mentioning,you should always do a good run down on anything you buy new or used. I have bought new boats and found problems right away from close inspection. one of my cooling lines was kinked and i wouldn't have known it because it was up in the hull and hard to see. but i took the lines off the pickups and blew through them to see if they were clear and found a problem. ive found battery trays that were not secured and would have come loose. Ive found screws that were not tight on motor mounts. heck you name it, everything needs to be gone over like you were building the boat. I hate to say it but sometimes you just cant trust that since its new its ready to go. or blow.

NobodyFamous 09-20-2010 05:54 AM

Well, my order from HK for the Turnigy 180 ESC has been upgraded from dreadful back order to processing. (second round of them coming in now)I am hoping to see it later this week, maybe early next week.<div></div><div>Good news, my brother is coming up to stay with us so I have a "friend" to take pictures and video.</div><div></div><div>I will try to get some video up for you. I am really hoping this thing is going to run more then 5 minutes this time.</div><div></div><div>A little more on the review side:</div><div></div><div>Since the boat has been out of commission, and I am jonesing (sp?) to take it out more, I keep pulling it off the shelf and just looking at it.</div><div></div><div>I originally spoke of the stiff flex drive, well, it was kind of stuck. I gave it some WD-40 and ran it on the bench a bit more, and after a bit of heat (do to friction) it kind of released and spun up. It turned smoother after that, but I didn't want to unnecessarily wear down anything so I pulled the cable by removing the motor. The oil that was on the cable looked like used motor oil. So I gave it a nice bath with WD-40 and dried it all off. I also put a bunch down the stuffing tube as well till it came out clean. I re-greased it with a lithium white grease and reassembled it. Now you can feel the "bumps" of the motor magnets as you turn the prop. Much better.</div><div></div><div>The steering servo mount is pretty much useless. It leaves about 1mm gap around the servo (the one I had anyhow) so the rudder would wiggle free. The linkage also required a little bit of bending to make it clear the bottom of the deck and still give you good travel. I just added a few applications of CA. to hold the servo in place. If I need to replace it I think I will rig up a new servo bracket.</div><div></div><div>Upon close inspection, all the screws and bolts in this thing are "chinese" quality. (sorry for the stereo type) Every screw on the motor is nearly striped, I have replaced all the set screws in the drive line with others I had. Between all the Standard and metric allen wrenches I had, none of them would fit well. It is hard to get things nice an tight, so I have to depend on thread lock to keep em where I can get them to. (though thred lock is a good thing)</div><div></div><div>Well, I hope to have a good video in the next week or so.</div>

madmax93 09-20-2010 10:35 AM

They say you should never swim for a boat, but you probably already know this.

NobodyFamous 09-20-2010 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: madmax93

I do, most R/C boaters die that way. But you also read, they where not good swimmers. I am a pretty good swimmer, I also took a "this is not a flotation device" flotation device with me so I could just float if I was tired. I would like to get a small raft, or have a rescue boat, but can not afford one.

As madmax said DON'T SWIM for boats. . . unless you have had proper training in both swimming, and deep water rescue. As a firefighter I have, but please I only enjoy swimming for boats, not drowned people.
<br type="_moz" />

Rebel bay 09-21-2010 09:57 AM

That' s right, this hull is a beauty, strongly build, very nice finish

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2001/temp138.jpg

solar696 09-21-2010 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: madmax93
"They say you should never swim for a boat" this is an unfinished sentence. Never swim because..........???????

I am sorry to sway away from the original topic, but when I see a statement like the one above, I like to know why? May be I can educate others about it.

Why you not suppose to swim to get a dead RC boat? I think this would only apply in certain circumstances.
Example: when full size boats blast by, other RC boats being used, you are not a good swimmer, you have never swam after anything that got away such as a pool noodle on the windy lake and so on.
I don't see what is so dangerous about swimming out to a boat and pushing it back to shore. If stamina is a concern wear a life-jacket.
I always swim for it and never feel or felt any danger.

Please elaborate.

madmax93 09-21-2010 04:53 PM

It's just from all the post's that I have read that meantion that, so I thought I would meantion it.
Some of the post's say that people have died from swimming for their boat and it's not worth
the risk. I suppose if a life vest is used there would be less danger.

srt10 09-21-2010 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel bay

[img][/img]
looks awesome man! ;)

NobodyFamous 09-22-2010 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: solar696

"They say you should never swim for a boat" this is an unfinished sentence. Never swim because..........???????

If you look up R/C boat fatalities, rarely is it some one being hit buy a boat, but rather almost always (I'd wager over 90%) the owner of the boat going in after the boat and he drowns. It is my personal belief that these drownings are also preceded by 100% stupidity, be it a guy in a boat who can't swim falls out getting the boat and drowns because he has no life jacket, or The guy who wades into frigid water and gets hypothermia, or just a poor swimmer runs out of energy cramps up and drowns.

So to finish the sentence,"They say you should never swim for a boat, because you could die"

Firefighters have a saying, "risk little to save little, risk allot to save allot." An R/C boat that most likely will drift to shore compared to your life is not worth much.

Alternative ways to rescue a boat other then swimming:
1. use a string/rope tied to a ball and or stick. (through passed boat and drag back gently)
2. use a fishing pole and line in the same manner as above.
3. use another R/C "rescue" boat to push the boat back.
4. take a small raft or dingy and paddle out, wear a life jacket.
5. always boat down wind, the wind will push your boat back. Just wait. (this is what I did when my Nitro V convert lost it's set screws in the drive shaft. I could have swam for it, but I did not have my "this is not a flotation device" with me, it was cold, and I was alone. NOT WORTH THE RISK)

To be honest, you should never HAVE TOO swim for a boat.

Now that that has been cleared up. . .

My new Turnigy 180A ESC is in the mail!!!! I can hardly wait.
<br type="_moz" />

NobodyFamous 09-22-2010 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel bay

Quit braggin' about how you managed to get it without "cheap" hardware! How is that coming along? I am just so please I have one too.
<br type="_moz" />

ginnz 09-28-2010 12:19 AM

I got one last week, and we took it out on the weekend for the first time, it was great! i ran 2x 4s 2200 mAh packs, and it was pretty fast.... im wondering though, will the esc and motor be able to handle 2x 5s 2600 mAh lipo's?? i wanna order a couple to try em out, but if the esc cant handle it i wont bother.... i know it wont do 6S, but will it do 5S?

TIA.
ginnz.